• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 19,543 Views, 450 Comments

Becoming Whole - Chivalry



Can the Changeling Queen find true love, or will her new life prove too much of a burden for her?

  • ...
47
 450
 19,543

Chapter 4: Through Another's Eyes (Unedited)

Chapter 4: Through Another's Eyes

Caduceus's eyes were nothing like that of anypony she had met before. His irises seemed to glow a metallic gold color, and his pupils were the shape of hourglasses. They seem glazed over, as if he were unable to see properly out of them or there was an obstruction irritating them. Chrysalis didn't know whether to be terrified or awestruck.

"Wh-what is wrong with your eyes?" she asked, her voice starting to shake.

He let out a sigh. "There is nothing wrong with them. They are my blessing as well as my curse."

Chrysalis slowly sat up. "I don't understand.”

"Perhaps it is best if I just show you..." he said. He put his hooves on the sides of Chrysalis's head, slowly drew her in, and pressed his forehead gently against hers. "Please close your eyes," he said moving his hooves away from her face.

Chrysalis complied and slowly closed her eyes. He took a deep inhale and just as he exhaled, she felt a warm tingling sensation emanate from him. This was not all too different from the feeling she got when feeding off of love, but the after effect was far from normal. This feeling focused itself around her eyes and turned into an intense burning sensation, causing her to clench her eyes shut.

She started to panic, "What is happening?” she asked, her voice a little squeakier than usual. “What are you doing to me?"

"Just relax," he said while pulling away from her. Just as he did so, the burning numbed and she was no longer in pain. "Now, open your eyes."

As she did so, she found that the once tolerable level of light invading the home had become inexplicably bright. Great. Of all the things that could have gotten worse, it had to be the light, she thought.

The room around her was no longer the dark adobe brown that it once was, but a dull grey. Everything she saw around the room was grey. The chairs, the bench, even the once beautifully-decorated bedspread was the same dull hue of grey. Soon, her eyes turned to Caduceus, who appeared to be emanating a very small aura of white and black flames, and his eyes were still their same golden color.

"What is this?" Chrysalis asked, looking around the room completely slack-jawed.

Caduceus released a heavy sigh. "This is how I see the world," he said with a small smile painting his face.

She looked back to him and studied his aura, "What are these black and white flames that I see coming off of you?"

"When I was young, I asked my mother a similar question. She told me that every living thing in this world creates magic, and that fiery glow is just the creature releasing it," Caduceus explained. "She said that each creature emanates a different magical energy that does different things. Using this sight, I can find the right types of plants to mix to create a specific potion..."

"So, like mixing ingredients to bake?" she asked making sure she understood properly.

He smiled. "I suppose so."

Just then, Chrysalis's eyes started to burn once again. Raising one of her hooves she tried to rub out the pain. When she opened her eyes again, everything was back to normal. "Huh?"

Caduceus chuckled lightly. "As you see, I can only share my power for a short period of time," he said before he let out a wince of pain and put a hoof to his forehead.

Chrysalis gave him a concerned look. "Are you alright?"

Caduceus nodded his head. "Mhmm. Sharing my power just takes a lot of magic. Excuse me, I need to go make something." He walked back over to his workbench.

How can a pegasus use magic, especially one so strong that it can change the way somepony sees? He even has the same magic withdraw that allowed me to take control of Shining Armor so easily, she thought, completely perplexed by her companion's strange powers. Well, he is part Zebra, and I don't know much about their kind. Perhaps I should do some research on their culture and history. Maybe I will find some answers then.

"Did you hear me?" Caduceus asked, interrupting her train of thought.

"I'm sorry. No, I was thinking," she answered honestly.

"It's okay. I just said that we should check your bandages and redress your wounds. Hopefully you will be able to get out of bed by tomorrow," he said as he drank the solution he was making for his head.

Chrysalis smiled. "That is great news! My legs have been getting stiff from all the lying around. I can't wait to stretch them out."

"Well then let's get started," Caduceus said as he approached the bed with a small journal tucked under his wing.

"What is that for?" Chrysalis asked.

He put the journal in front of her and opened it to reveal all of his medical notes as well as a very well drawn diagram of her basic anatomical structure. "This is a journal I made after I brought you back here. I needed to have a record of your condition so that I could keep track of all the little details," he explained.

Chrysalis scoffed, "Isn't that a little too thorough?"

"One can never be too sure. It's usually the small details that are the most important," he explained getting out his quill. "Now, let's begin. Please remove the covers and turn towards me."

Chrysalis carefully pulled back the covers to reveal her bandaged figure and lay on her side. The first things he wanted to check were her ribs. When he found her, her chest was slightly collapsed. It was amazing that none of the broken fragments had caused any serious internal damage. He carefully ran his hooves up and down her ribs, gently applying pressure here and there and recording her reaction.

"Your ribs have healed quite nicely, and it seems that all but one of the bones has completely healed," he commented as he made a note in the book. "There's a little bruising in your midsection, but nothing too severe. Still going to keep an eye on it."

He moved on to her plaster-covered forelegs and carefully removed the casts and bandages. Chrysalis shivered as her legs were exposed to the air they were so deprived of the past few days. She could feel the moisture and sweat dripping off her once-covered appendages and felt rather embarrassed. Caduceus took a small rag and gently dried her legs.

She winced in pain as he touched her right ergot. Caduceus quickly pulled his hooves back, "I'm sorry!"

After the pain subsided, Chrysalis chuckled. "Don't worry. It's just sore I guess," she stated trying to move it around. However, as she started to bend it, the pain came rushing back. She tried to play it off, hoping that it wouldn't interfere with his plans to let her walk around tomorrow.

To her dismay, he noticed.

"Oh that's not good. We'll have to keep that wrapped up until tomorrow," he said making another note in his journal.

Seeing him writing in that black ink made Chrysalis think for a moment. "Can you even see what you are writing?" she asked blatantly.

Not even taking his eyes off of her wounded leg, he answered, "Of course I can. Just because I see the world in shades of grey does not mean that I can't see the black of ink on a piece of paper."

Chrysalis looked over his diagrams again, noting the fine detailing and shading. She wanted to press the issue further, but decided to drop the matter. I don't think I can handle much more information without my head exploding.

The rest of the examination went by rather quickly. He very carefully removed all of the bandages, applied some kind of liquid to any wounds that were still open, and redressed the wounds. She found out that the green plant juice was from a local cactus called Aloe Vera and that it helped seal wounds and sooth any kind of skin irritation, which she found completely fascinating. Soon, they got into a very long conversation about different kinds of plants and how to tell the difference between poisonous, edible, and healing plants and what they do based off of their leaf structure. Chrysalis noticed herself laughing more than she had in a long, long time. She was genuinely happy with this colt. She enjoyed being around him, hearing his voice...

Chrysalis could feel her heart pounding in her aching chest and she started to blush. Why do I feel this way? she wondered, placing a hoof to her chest. She watched as he continued to write in his medical journal with a small smile gracing his features, blissfully unaware of her gaze. Again, she felt her heart beat getting stronger and stronger. Suddenly, Chrysalis could hear the howling winds whipping at the windows and doors. The sun was setting, and the cold winds were rushing in.

Caduceus looked up from his notebook and over to the door. "Wow, is it that time already?" he said sounding rather surprised. Standing up, he donned his rags and glasses and walked to the door. "I need to go into town tonight and get some supplies," he said wrapping his face in cloth.

"Isn't it dangerous to go out this late?" she asked. From what she understood about desert ecology, predators were most active during the night and tended to travel in packs. If he were to be attacked, he would have to defend himself against the group of hunters. Not even a full-grown earth pony stood a chance against a pack of wolves.

"Don't worry about me," he said with a wave of his hoof. "This isn't my first time going out after dark and I know my way around. I'll be fine."

Caduceus opened the door and the harsh winds pushed their way past the door frame, charging Chrysalis in full force. She could feel the bone chilling cold rushing towards her and quickly grabbed for the comforter. However, she was far too slow, and the wind bit at her exposed body, causing her to shiver and her teeth to chatter violently. It got to the point where she was worried she would chip a fang. Pulling the blanket over herself, she tried to rub her hooves together to create any warmth she could. After the shock had subsided, she glared at him with as much spite and anger she could muster.

He chuckled lightly, "Sorry. Goodnight." With that, he closed the door behind him, leaving Chrysalis alone to sleep.

o.0.o

“There she is! Grab her!” The black mare looked up to see a stallion standing at the end of the alley pointing a hoof at her. Within moments, a few more ponies rounded the corner of the alley and charged her. She tried to stop them, but they were far too fast. She felt a quick blow to her head, and then everything went black.

When she awoke, there was a brown sack placed over her head and she could feel herself being dragged along. Through the small fibers of the burlap, she was able to see the two ponies dragging her along as well as bright floodlights and bedrock.

She tried to speak, but found herself gagged by some kind of rag. She started to thrash about, trying to break free or at least slow them down. However, her struggling didn’t even deter the two stallions holding her. Eventually, they reached the end of the hallway, and a door swung open. From there, she was thrown into a chair and strapped down by her legs and neck.

The black mare continued to struggle, but the restraints were far too tight. All that her struggling managed to do was choke and cut herself on the rough material. Suddenly, the brown sack was torn from her head and the bright white light blinded her, causing her eyes to clamp shut. As her eyes adjusted, the mare could start to make out the figures of a group of ponies.

They were whispering amongst themselves, discussing their plans as they watched the black mare strapped down in her chair writhing and lashing out, just trying to break free like a wild animal.

One of the figures stepped forward enough for the black mare to see that he was not a pony, but a large griffon.

"Now then," he said. The sinister tone in his voice sent a chill running down the mare's spine. "Shall we begin?"

With that, one of the creatures that had captured her pulled a lever beside her, and the black mare heard a burst of steam as the chair she was strapped to began to descend. The griffon walked over to her side, holding one of his claws near his beak as he whispered something into it. With his free claw, he reached over to some unseen table and picked up some kind of needle.

"I will not lie, little one. This will hurt, and it will hurt a lot." With one deft move, the griffon injected the toxin into her shoulder. She could feel it slither through her veins like hot lava.

Chrysalis let out a bloodcurdling scream as she shot upright. A cold sweat poured down her brow as she breathed heavily. For nearly ten minutes, she just sat there staring at an indiscernible part of the wall, catching her breath. Finally, she wiped the sweat from her face and decided to get out of the bed. Taking extra care to not put much weight on her bad leg, she walked over to Caduceus's work bench and drank the glass of water he left sitting there. Her hooves shook as she set it back down.

"What was that?" Chrysalis wondered aloud. Her mind was sending commands to her body that it couldn't process. She wanted to break down and cry, to just scream and scream until her lungs collapsed, but instead she just sat there, unable to do anything.

It was just a dream, right? It didn't really happen... she tried to reason. Then why did it feel so real? She instinctively raised a hoof to the spot on her foreleg where that nightmarish griffon injected the serum and caressed the area where she had felt the needle penetrate her skin. As she traced her way up her leg to the point, she found nothing strange until she got near her shoulder joint. There, she found what felt like a thick, sprawling scar that seemed to trace its way down her veins for an inch or so in either direction.

So it wasn't just a dream...

The realization caused her body to tense up. She felt breathless, as if she was falling from the highest point of the Hollow. Try as she might to catch her breath, it was futile. Her mind was racing a thousand miles a minute while panic and confusion infected her conscience.

Her head pounded as images of her incarceration began to flash through her mind. She could almost hear the ice cold voice of that evil griffon and the fiery sting of the hypodermic needle as it pierced her skin. However, she wasn't able to remember anything clearly and the lack of knowledge frustrated her. Those thoughts gnawed at her, begging for some kind of answer, making her feel even more enraged. Scanning the room, her eyes landed on the pillow resting on the bed.

o.0.o

Chrysalis roared at the top of her lungs as she threw all of her energy into one final punch. As her hoof connected with its intended mark, it let out a thud that shook the small hut and cracked some of the adobe behind it. She held her hoof there, allowing herself a moment's rest as she let the satisfaction of her actions sink in. She was breathing hard and sweating furiously.

I need some more water, she decided. She released the pillow she had been abusing for the past ten minutes and let it drop to the ground. Walking over to what she presumed was the kitchen, she opened the ice chest and found a large pitcher of water next to some other assorted liquids of different colors.

Curiosity getting the better of her, Chrysalis lifted the lid off one of the containers and took a short whiff of its contents. She instantly fell backwards, fighting the urge to vomit as she tried to shield her muzzle from the stench. The only way it could be described was like the putrid odor of an old campsite latrine filled with spoiled broccoli and horseradish boiling in the hot sun surrounded by a pack of angry skunks.

The worst thing about this was the realization she still had the lid in her hooves. Using her magic, she levitated the lid and tried to maneuver it back onto the container. However, she couldn't see into the ice chest, so she had to go back over there, peer into the chest, and close the container.

Chrysalis dry heaved just thinking about getting that close to it again, but it needed to be done. Otherwise the toxic fumes would fill the room and gas her out. Even now the potency of the stench was increasing at a rapid rate, causing her head to spin.

Chrysalis took the casing off the poor, defenseless pillow and wrapped it around her muzzle, just as she had watched Caduceus do, and took a few deep breaths through the cloth. The moisture from her breathing dampened the makeshift gas mask and created a weak scent seal around her nostrils. Thankful for the slight relief from the assault on her senses, she then proceeded to approach the ice chest. As she got closer, the air seemed to become thicker, almost as if the foul abomination had achieved sentience and was pushing her away, trying to keep the mare from achieving her goal. However, Chrysalis was determined to defeat this foe, and with all her strength, she put the lid on and closed the container.

Slowly, Chrysalis removed the pressure she was applying to the lid, hoping that the jar would stay shut. Once she was confident that the container would not explode, she slumped down and heaved a sigh of relief, removing the cloth from her muzzle. She proceeded sprawled out on her back and smiled triumphantly. After all, she just saved the entire land of Equestria from that abomination. She deserved a medal for her valiant efforts, but being able to just lay down in peace was reward enough.

"Congratulations, Ma'am."

Chrysalis's head shot up from its position on the ground and turned in the direction of the voice. Through her legs, she was able to see Caduceus, walking out of a dark corner of the room trying to stifle his laughter. Her face completely flushed, Chrysalis twisted her body and jumped to her hooves. Unfortunately in her embarrassed haste, she landed wrong and put too much weight on her bad leg twisting her ergot and folding like a cheap tent.

Just as she was about to hit the ground, Caduceus reached out and caught her. "Easy there, no need get another injury for me to fix," he half joked, helping to stand her up.

She quickly pushed him away and hid her face, trying to keep him from seeing her deepening blush. "H-how long were you standing there?" she asked.

"Long enough to know that I'm going to need new pillows."

Chrysalis shrunk, reprimanding herself mentally. Oh no! He saw everything. Even my reaction to that foul concoction he has brewing in there! Not only that, but he saw me in that undignified position! Me, the Queen of the Changelings! What was I thinking?!

Her humiliation slowly turned into anger. "How dare you spy on me! Why did you sneak in?"

"I didn't sneak in," he said with a hint of humor. "You were just too preoccupied with beating the stuffing out of my pillows to notice me walk in."

This only made her more distraught, "Then why didn't you show yourself?! Why did you stay quiet?"

"You had a lot on your mind. Figured it was just one of those things you had to work out of your system. Although I was a little worried you would hurt yourself with that last punch," Caduceus remarked in a very soft and caring voice.

"Wh-what?" Chrysalis was taken aback by this. She was expecting anger, frustration, impatience. Not compassion and worry.

Caduceus walked over to her and removed his glasses, "I know that you like to keep a lot to yourself, but what got you so worked up?"

"It-It's none of your concern," she said, her gaze dropping to the floor.

"I know, but I am concerned. Just, talk about it. Let me help you."

After a few minutes of bickering, Chrysalis finally decided it would be best to tell him about her horrible nightmare and the chilling discovery of her strange scar.

"May I see it?" Caduceus asked, which earned him a questioning look. "I just need to see something." He added, taking his medical journal out of his saddlebag. His hoof gently traced up her arm to the spot of the injection. His soft touch, although innocent, made her blush lightly. Carefully, he applied a slight pressure to the scar and scanned over his notes, mumbling to himself.

"Well that's strange..." he mumbled.

Chrysalis cleared her head as her ears perked up, "What is it? Is something wrong?"

Caduceus tapped his chin, checking over his notes again. After a few moments, he slid the book back into his bag and turned back to her. "Do you think you would be able to make a trip into town with me?" he asked.

"I-I believe so. Why?"

"Because there is somepony there you need to meet."