• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 19,538 Views, 450 Comments

Becoming Whole - Chivalry



Can the Changeling Queen find true love, or will her new life prove too much of a burden for her?

  • ...
47
 450
 19,538

Chapter 3: My Name Is (Unedited)

Chapter 3: My Name Is

The stallion stood there completely shocked by Chrysalis’s transformation. “H – How did you do that?” he stuttered.

Chrysalis let out a deep sigh, “My name is Queen Chrysalis and I am what is called a Changeling.”

He took a seat next to the bed. “That explains… a lot, actually,” he said looking her over once more to be sure that what she said was true.

Her eyes went wide. “Wait, you know what I am?” she asked. From what she knew, common ponyfolk were unaware of the changelings' existence.

“Based on your anatomical makeup I had a few ideas, but I’ll explain that later…” he said with a wave of his hoof before continuing. “So, how did you end up way out here? I thought the changelings lived in the Badland caves?”

She really wanted to know how he knew so much, but she decided that the best way to find out was to press on. “It all started a long time ago, when I was taken from my home…”

It had been several years since she was brutally beaten by her classmates and the little foal had developed into a fine young mare. Many of the scars they had left healed, and it even seemed that the emotional scarring had been replaced by love and tolerance. Without anywhere else to go, the elderly mare named Nana Maíz volunteered to care for the young filly and filled her life with happiness and joy. However, one faithful day it was all taken away from her…

“Nana, can we go watch the fireworks show tonight?” the young mare asked her adoptive mother, her voice melodic and majestic.

The elder mare just laughed, “What did I tell you last time you asked me, mijita?”
The young mare pouted, “But Nanaaa! Everypony whose anypony will be there, and… well…” she trailed off, a light blush gracing her cheeks.

“And so will that boy Jeremiah Spuds?” Nana Maíz said with a sly smirk.

Her daughter stared and blushed even deeper in embarrassment, “H–how did you know?”

Maíz laughed heartily, “Soy tu madre! I know everything, remember? Perhaps if you asked me a little differently…” Whenever she said this, she wanted her daughter to try her hand at her native language.

The black mare rolled her eyes, “Puedo ir al demonstración por favor?” Since she had moved in with Maíz, she had been able to pick up on some of her native tongue, but was still struggling with the more subtle aspects of speech.

“’A la,’ but close enough,” she said with a wave of her hoof. “Go have fun…”

“Oh thankyouthankyouthankyou!” the young mare shrieked out as she tightly embraced her generous mother before bolting for the front door.

“I want you to stay with Kame and be back home right after the show is over, understand hija?” she said as she watched her daughter heading out the door.

“Okay, I’ll be back right after everything is over. I love you!” she called over her shoulder.

“Please for Celestia’s sake be careful…” Maíz continued, but the warning fell on deaf ears as the door slammed shut. Maíz sat back in her chair and started rubbing her eyes with an exasperated sigh, “Ay dios mio… What am I gonna do with her?”

The black filly ran through the streets smiling. She had finally been given permission to watch the annual fireworks show celebrating the end of the Diamond Wars and, most importantly, she got to spend the night with Spuds… Her cheeks tingled, and she smiled uncontrollably at the thought.

She made it to the large hill overlooking the small mining town of Colterville just as the sun was setting. From there, she could see all that her home had to offer: the large rolling hills covered in luscious green trees, the beautiful lake nestled between the peaks that reflected the orange glow of the sun so perfectly, and the dark barren mines that scarred the otherwise breathless landscape.

Looking back up the hill she could see a small crowd of ponies eagerly waiting for the sun to set and the show to begin. As she got closer and closer, their chatter started to die down and all of their eyes latched onto her. She was… Different. It has been like this for as long as she could remember, but it didn’t bother her like it used to—mostly because Nana Maíz kept her so busy with bookwork that she really didn’t have time to think about it. All the more reason she was so ecstatic to be out tonight.

“Hey there, Pipsqueak!” said a friendly voice as she felt a hoof touch her shoulder. “So the old mare finally let you out, huh?”

She turned to see her best friend Kame beaming at her with his unusually large grin. “Long time, no see, Pudge,” she said as they embraced each other. Her eyes widened as she held him, noticing that he was thinner than when she last saw him. “You’ve lost weight! Oh, that will never do… You need to start coming by the bakery every day after school so I can make you something!”

Pulling away from the hug, Kame laughed, “If I came by the store every day, I’d be right back to square one…” She remembered back to the day he decided to start cutting back on the sweets. Of course, this was only after he ate half his three-tiered birthday cake she had made for him. It was good to see he was following through with his plans though.

“Hey, you’ve grown quite a bit, haven’t ya Pipsqueak?” Kame asked playfully.

“Yes! And haven’t I told you to stop calling me that?” she pouted. “I’m almost bigger than you now!” It is true that when she was much younger, she was extremely petite, but over the years she had developed into a rather tall, beautiful mare.

Again, Kame laughed. He was always laughing at something. “Ah, just grin and bear it Pipsqueak!” he said ruffling her mane with his hoof.

She threw her hooves up in an attempt to stop him. “Quit it!” she whined, now trying to fix her mane. Just then, they heard the town mayor's voice over the loudspeaker, thanking everypony for coming out and announcing that the show was going to start in ten minutes. “Well, it was nice talking with you Pudge, but I need to go find somepony.”

Kame cut her a sly grin, “Spuds should be over by the old oak tree on the peak…” She blushed violently and stood there, rigid from shock. As he walked past her he whispered in her ear; “… all alone.”

She swallowed hard. Oh boy. He knows too… she thought. While being alone with him was exactly what she wanted, her nerves wracked her body and mind, making her question everything she had set out to do. Shaking away her discouraging thoughts, she steeled herself and set out for the large oak just a little ways away. She saw the clover green stallion she was looking for sitting back under the tree with a sprig of hay protruding from his mouth and his red mane cascading down his muzzle.She could feel her heart thumping in her chest and hoped Spuds wouldn’t notice.

*ba-bump… ba-bump... ba-bump...*

He looked up at her with his golden yellow eyes. “Hello there miss,” he said in a voice that warmed her soul. “What brings you out here?”

She looked away and started bashfully pawing at the grass. “Oh, nothing. Just was wondering if you wanted to watch the show with me,” her timid voice squeaked out.

He patted a patch of grass next to him, gesturing for her to have a seat. After a few moments of internal debate, she complied, trying to make her heart quiet down.

*ba-bump… ba-bump...*

She felt like they were the only two ponies in the world. They talked about this and that, had a few laughs, and the entire time she could feel him emitting some kind of warm energy that she was quick to take in. The rush she got from him was pure ecstasy as she let it caress every fiber of her being, becoming more and more enveloped in her desire for more. Could this be it? Could this be… love?

*ba-bump… *

She indulged herself on his emotions that he was developing for her and slowly to lose control of herself. Becoming more forward and flirtatious, saying things she never would have imagined and acting extremely promiscuous. Slowly, she turned from being a shy, timid filly to something she had no control over. It started to scare her and she wanted to stop, but she was no longer able to control her actions. It was as if she had become a third party of her own body. The rest of the conversation was a blur; all that she could see now was the blushing face of the colt and leaning in for a kiss…

“… and then what happened?” the pegasus asked, leaning precariously on the edge of his seat.

Chrysalis looked down at her hooves, trying to keep him from seeing her tear up. “Then we kissed. I had dreamed that my first kiss would be something spectacularly warm and loving, but the kiss I had that night was cold and emotionless,” she said with a sniff. She cursed herself for letting her emotions break through her façade, but she continued,

Their kiss went on for what felt like hours. She kept sucking this warm energy from him like a vampire sucking the blood from their victim. Except, she didn’t stop. She kept going until there was nothing left. Finally, she opened her eyes and reeled back in shock and screamed. Jeremiah Spuds was no longer the young energetic colt he once was, but instead a shriveled and hollow husk of a pony. His flesh faded to dust, and his bones crumpled to the ground with a clatter.

“What’s going on over there?” a pony called up to her. She started to run down the hill crying hysterically. She ran through the crowd and took off for home.

The street was dark and quiet, since most ponies were on the hill celebrating. About half way back to home, the black filly felt a strong, throbbing pain in her jaw. She turned into an alleyway and raised a hoof to her muzzle. As she did so, she felt a sharp prick on her hoof.

“Ow!” she cried. Pulling her hoof in front of her eyes, she noticed a small trickle of blood running down the center of her hoof. Panicking, her eyes darted down the alleyway to find something that she could check her reflection in. After a few seconds, she noticed a large puddle of water in the moonlight. Peering into the water, she studied herself. In the water, she saw a pair of razor sharp fangs protruding from her once beautiful muzzle. She touched them lightly, her eyes wide, unable to believe that they were truly hers.

“There she is! Grab her!” She looked up to see a stallion standing at the end of the alley pointing a hoof at her. Within moments, a few more stallions showed up and charged her. She tried to stop them, but they were far too fast. They tied her up and knocked her out…

When she awoke, there was a brown sack placed over her head and she could feel herself being dragged along a dark corridor. Through the small fibers of the burlap, she was able to see the two ponies that were restraining her as well as bright floodlights and bedrock.

She tried to speak, but she found herself gagged by some kind of rag. She started to thrash about, trying to break free or at least slow them down. The two stallions holding her didn’t even slow down. Eventually, they reached the end of the hallway, and a door swung open. From there, she was thrown into a chair and strapped down.

“After that, all I can remember is pain. Days turned to weeks, weeks to months, and months to years…” Chrysalis said, wiping her eyes. The stallion laid his hoof on hers and did his best to try and comfort her. At that moment, all she wanted to do was throw her hooves around him and cry, but she refrained from showing any more emotions. She was a Queen after all.

“It must have been horrible,” he said looking at her through his shades.

Why is he always wearing those? she wondered, but only for a moment. “Yes, it was.”

“How did you escape?”

She shook her head, “That’s just it, I don’t remember anything except waking up in my castle deep inside the Hollow.”

He tapped his chin, “Well, that still doesn’t explain how you got way out here in the Sundrop Desert.”

Chrysalis then told him about the famine and how she had planned to attack Canterlot to help feed her starving people. She had tried many other approaches but in the end, invasion was her only option.

“Wow. That explains all of the burns and blunt force trauma,” he said sitting back in his chair.

She winced, a familiar pain returning. “Speaking of ‘trauma,’” she said through sharp breaths. He took the hint and gave her the next dosage of medicine. The relief was almost instantaneous, which she guessed was a good sign.

“Thank you for answering my questions,” he said as he prepared another batch of the elixir. “Now I think it is only fair that I answer some of yours.”

Sitting up in the bed, Chrysalis took a moment to ponder which question she should ask first. After a few moments, she decided on the one that mattered the most.

“What is your name?”

He chuckled under his breath. “Well, I guess that’s a start. My name is Caduceus,” he said putting a hoof to his chest.

Chrysalis tilted her head in confusion, “Do you have a first name, or is this your first name?”

“It is my only name.”

She brought a hoof to her chin in thought before asking her next question. “Where are you from?”

He trotted over to the workbench on the far wall of the room. Lifting up a small cloth that draped down over one of its cupboards, he pulled out a small brown box. Taking a moment to look it over, he smiled and brought the container over to her and gently placed it in her lap. “Hopefully these pictures will help me explain my story,” he said before walking over to the large armchair facing away from her. After he sat down and made himself comfortable, he removed his sunglasses and gently placed them on the table.

Caduceus let out a heavy sigh, “I was born and raised in Zebrabwe, a small country to the south of The Dragon Pride Lands…”

Chrysalis took this as her cue to open the box placed in front of her. When she peered inside, she found an old scrapbook covered in strange runes and markings that she could not decipher.

Turning the first page of the book, she saw a black and white picture of a tiny sleeping foal wrapped up in a hoof knitted blanket. Underneath the photo was a piece of paper that had the same strange runes as the cover.

I have to find out what these markings mean.

“My father was an explorer named Dusty Trail,” Caduceus said. “He was tasked by Princess Celestia to explore the lands to the south of Equestria and make peace with any civilizations out there. After two years of exploration, he found Zebrabwe and also met my mother, Ayana, the Shaman of the Ethiponyans”

She turned to the next page of the book and saw a picture of two smiling ponies. One was a brown pegasus wearing a safari pith helmet with a thick, silver-grey mutton chop beard and tan brown fur just a few shades lighter than Caduceus. Under his right wing stood a slender, stunning zebra mare wearing her traditional jewelry and bands, toting a small saddlebag with the same markings as the cover of the scrapbook. Her eyes were closed, and she wore a simple smile.

Chrysalis thought this would be the best time to ask her next question, “How did they meet?”

“Hmm. If I remember correctly, an Ethiponyan war party captured my father’s caravan and brought him in as a prisoner,” he explained. “Deeming him a threat, the tribe’s Chief ordered his execution and his body to be sent back to Equestria as a warning for any and all invaders. However, my mother told the Chief that she had a vision and that if they killed Dusty Trail, a terrible evil would befall their tribe. So, my father’s life was spared, and my mother was tasked to care for him while he stayed with the tribe.”

Chrysalis’s eyes widened. “So Ayana saved your father’s life?” She felt a warm smile creep up onto her face. That’s so romantic! She saved his life and ended up marrying him, Chrysalis thought.

“Yes, and a few years after that, they got married and had my sister and me…”

She again turned the page to find a picture of a zebra foal and a pegasus foal with stripes like a zebra, but instead of black they were just a shade darker than his natural color.

“So that’s what you look like under all those rags,” she thought aloud. As Chrysalis flipped through the rest of the pages in the book, she noticed a recurring theme with the stallion sitting with his back to her; Caduceus’s eyes were either closed or covered in nearly every photo she saw in the book.

He laughed softly, “Yea, that’s me alright. That picture was taken just before the famine started.”

She lifted her gaze from the photo to the back of his chair, “I can relate to that plight.” The Changelings knew quite a bit about famine and the suffering that follows. First, there was denial, then arguing, and finally the resolution. For her people, it was invasion. Chrysalis could only imagine what had happened to the tribe.

“Everypony suffered,” Caduceus said in a grave tone. “The first few months weren’t that bad, but after year three, ponies just lost hope and waited for their time to die. Thanks to my mother being the tribe’s Shaman, she was able to forage and make enough edible food for our family to survive. She took us out with her every time and taught both of us how to find the ingredients we needed to make our food and potion supplements. However, not every family was lucky enough to have somepony so skilled, and many did not get to see the end of the suffering. Every day there was a fresh body lying in the fields, and every night we could hear the howls of the hungry hyenas, enjoying their meal. If it weren’t for my father sending for aid from Equestria, none of us would have survived another month.” He finished with a sniff.

Chrysalis felt the sadness, anguish, and regrets emanating off of him like the foulest stench that soon overwhelmed anything else in the room, tainting everything it touched. Up till this point, she did not realize she was still feeding off of his emotions, and she accidentally consumed the vile energy. It made her violently nauseous, and she felt the extremely strong urge to expel the toxic emotions from her body. Luckily, she was able to choke it down long enough for her to change the subject. “So what ha-happened after that?” she asked.

Caduceus shifted lightly in his chair. “After we received aid from Equestria, life resumed its normal pace. My sister and I decided to learn more about the herbal trade, and our mother took us as her apprentices. Within a matter of years, we both became experts on just about every combination and permutation known to ponykind.”

Thankful that he was no longer resonating the dark emotions, Chrysalis released a sigh of relief. If that had kept up much longer, I don’t think I could have held it back, she thought as her stomach stopped churning.

“Our mother told us that there was but one thing keeping us from being Shamans, and that was for us to find our spiritual centers,” the stallion continued. “So, with a heavy heart, our parents sent us off into the world with nothing but our skills and a small bag of bits to aid us. My sister and I went our separate ways. My spiritual journey led me here, to the Sun Drop Desert and a young filly in need. I took her in, gave her a place to call home, and started putting money towards a proper education. She was like a daughter to me, and I a father to her. Eventually, she grew up, and I had to watch her leave. Saying goodbye to her was perhaps the saddest day of my life. Although I haven’t seen her in many years, we still write each other…” He rose up from his chair. Reaching over, he grabbed his sunglasses and put them back in their rightful place on his muzzle. “And that is the end to my story.”

This reminded Chrysalis of a burning question that had been itching at her since their conversation began, “One last question.”

He walked over to her and sat down right next to her on the bed. She felt extremely awkward with him getting that close to her. A light blush graced her cheeks, and she became slightly distracted. While he had been this close to her before, this time was slightly… different. She couldn’t explain why, and she figured it would be best not to dwell on it too long.

“Yes?” he asked softly. This brought Chrysalis out of her own mind and back to reality.

“C-can you please take off the rags and glasses?” she asked.

He pulled back in shock, but recovered rather quickly. “Well, you don't waste any time getting down to it, do you?” he replied with a sly grin plastered on his face.

Chrysalis’s eyes went wide and she could feel her face burning up. Caduceus burst into a fit of laughter, leaving him completely breathless. “Nonononono! That’s not what I meant!” Chrysalis exclaimed, shaking her head violently.

“Oh, I—I know what you meant, b-but I couldn’t pass up a—an opportunity like THAT!” he said, trying to catch his breath.

Chrysalis started to giggle as well. His laughter has grown infectious! she thought as her giggle turned into full-on laughter. Luckily, the medicine had not worn off just yet, so her violently expanding and contracting rib cage caused her little pain.

Wiping a tear of laughter from his eye, Caduceus rose from the floor. “Alright, so you want to see what I look like, is that it?” Chrysalis calmed down and responded with a firm nod. “Are you sure?” he started to ask. “Some things are best left as a secret, you know.”

She thought about this for a minute, but eventually her curiosity outweighed his warning. “Yes, I want to know what you look like.”

He turned away from her, and started to remove the wrappings. “You sure?” he asked again, which only created tension for Chrysalis. What is he so afraid of?

“Positive.”

“Only foals are positive,” he muttered under his breath as he removed the tattered rags that covered his body. Turning back to face her, Chrysalis noticed that he looked like any other pony she had seen with the exception of the stripes of dark brown that covered his body. He was tall, lean, and extremely handsome. His mane was about mid-length, but it was tangled and looked rather wild. Her gaze started to slowly move down his figure. He was not overly muscular, but he was still bigger than most other stallions she had seen. Finally, her eyes landed on his cutie mark; a winged staff with two snakes chasing each other up to the top. This did not keep her attention for long, however, and her eyes shifted to his rather toned flank…

Chrysalis caught herself gaping at him and quickly turned away, blushing once again. What are you doing? You’re royalty for goodness sake! She forced herself to focus back on his face and the conversation at hoof.

Caduceus reached for his sunglasses. As his hoof reached the frame of his shades, he paused. “Are you sure you want to see my eyes?” he asked, his voice shaking slightly from what Chrysalis could only describe as nervous jitters.

Once again, she nodded. With a deep breath, Caduceus complied and removed his glasses.