• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 19,543 Views, 450 Comments

Becoming Whole - Chivalry



Can the Changeling Queen find true love, or will her new life prove too much of a burden for her?

  • ...
47
 450
 19,543

Chapter 2: The Night (Unedited)

Chapter 2: The Night

Chrysalis couldn’t get a wink of sleep for most of the night. Just as the colt had said, it got inexplicably cold as soon as the sun had set. The winds outside howled and lifted the sand to whip it at the door and windows of the home creating an insistent clacking. Even with all of these other sounds, she could still hear the pegasus’ light snoring from the chair by the window. She tried to cover her ears, but the plaster casts did not make very effective shields against the noise.

On top of the ear-piercing screeches from the wind, she had foolishly thrown the heavy quilt off the bed, and now the chilling cold seeped through the thick adobe walls of the cabin. It made her shake violently, causing her ribs to throb painfully in protest. She brought her legs in closer to her torso, trying to retain any body warmth she could muster. Cu – curse the Creators for making such a bipolar wasteland… She thought as her teeth continued to clatter and clang against each other.

The feeling of fabric sliding against her fur impeded her thoughts. Her eyes shot open and darted around as she moved a hoof to feel the comforter draped over her. She started to sit up slowly to get a better look, but she felt a gentle hoof push her back down.

“Just sleep. Everything will calm down soon. Please, sleep…”

She didn’t plan to argue. The quilt's warmth embraced her like a cloud as she started to drift off to sleep. Just as he said, the howling winds died down and the clacking windows ceased their chattering.

“Are you always right?” she asked under her breath. He just chuckled.

“Most of the time anyway,” he whispered. “Now please, sleep…”

She let out an extremely cute yawn, “Fine.” He started to brush her mane lightly. His touch helped her relax, and within moments she found herself drifting off to sleep…

The filly was still lying on the ground crying. She tried to stand but the paralyzing pain from her broken leg kept her rooted to the spot.

“ Heeelp!” she called out through her coughing sobs. “Heeeelllppp! Somepony! Anypony!” She stared down at her now-disfigured leg. The bone was starting to protrude through the skin and her limb twitched uncontrollably as her mind tried to shut out the pain. The sight was so gruesome that even a war-hardened veteran would have a tough time trying to stomach it.

She wanted to cry. She wanted to let all of her emotions pour out of her and feel relief. But when she cried, she coughed. When she coughed, it felt like somepony was stabbing her bruised and dislocated ribs. So she swallowed her anguish for now and decided to try standing again. Cradling her broken leg, she was able to hobble her way to a nearby store where she hoped they could call for a doctor or even dress some of her wounds themselves.

She tried to knock on the door, but she realized that if she lifted her hoof she would fall down, so instead she used the side of her head and gently knocked on the entryway, “I-Is anypony there?”

There were hoofsteps on the other side of the door as well as a metallic click from the latch. The large oak door opened to reveal a rather stout older mare with a peach coat and a dark brown mane with two silver streaks running from her temples. She wore a white apron stained by whatever she had been cooking, and her hair was tied back with a few strands cascading down her face.

She looked down at the poor filly and her eyes instantly widened. Embracing the small foal tenderly in her arms, the mare spoke in some strange language she couldn’t understand. When the foal just stared at her, the mare realized that she didn’t understand.

“What happened to you, little one?” she asked. Her voice was tender and thick with her accent.

The foal contemplated explaining what happened, but she knew that if the ones who did this to her found out, they would probably do much worse. Instead of lying, she just pleaded for help.

“Of course.” The mare gently picked up the small filly and carried her inside.

As with most buildings, the store doubled as the mare’s home. The walls were all painted in warm colors, and all retained the same strange pattern of waving lines along the foot of the wall. The mare walked through another entryway and into the living room and set the foal down on the comfy couch.

“I will go get the doctor. Please wait here,” she said. The mare turned to run out the door, leaving the young filly alone in her house. A few minutes later, the mare came back, followed by a young stallion in a white coat.

“Here she is, Doctor,” she said, bringing him into the couch that the little foal was resting on. He jumped a little at the sight of her, which made her realize she must look a lot worse than she thought.

Quickly, he regained his composure. “Where does it hurt, darlin’?” he asked in a thick southern accent.

All the foal could manage to say was, “My leg.” She held up her mangled and bleeding appendage to the doctor. He stared at it a moment, contemplating the best way to approach the situation.

After a defeated sigh, he said, “Ma’am, please go fetch me a thick towel and a bowl of water. I’ll grab everything else we're gonna need.” He then returned his attention to the lightly crying filly. “Give us a moment darlin’. We’ll getcha right as rain in no time!” He said with a smile, but it faded as soon as he turned away from her.

They stepped into the kitchen and grabbed everything they needed. When they came out, the mare was holding the bowl of water and a white towel and the doctor brought two wooden boards and some thin ropes. She didn’t like the looks of this…

The doctor sat down on the ground in front of the couch and looked into the foal's eyes, “Alright, darlin’, after lookin’ at yer leg I have no choice but ta set the bones that broke. I ain’t gonna lie, it will hurt—a lot—but it’s better ta do this than ta have it heal improperly.”

The filly knew what he meant, and even though she knew that a bone that heals improperly would cause her insurmountable amounts of pain until it was rebroken and set properly, she was still terrified. Nevertheless, she had already been through most of Tartarus today. Why not just finish the journey?

“O-okay…” she said very quietly. The elder mare held out the cloth, “Here. Bite down on this when he starts to move the bones.” The filly took it with a shaky hoof, and did as instructed placing the cloth over her teeth while she waited for the doctor to begin his work.

Although he gently placed his hooves of the protruding bone, she still felt an extremely sharp, jagged pain that nearly took her breath away. With a loud gasp, she started to bite down on the cloth, which surprisingly helped a little.

“Are ya ready?” the doctor asked, looking up at her. All she could do was nod her head, and brace for the setting.
“One Mississippi…” he said. The rest was drowned out by the crack of bone and a muffled scream.

Chrysalis awoke moaning. The herbal medicine the colt gave her had worn off, and she could feel every agonizing tear and break her body had undergone ripping through her all at once. Hot tears streamed down her face as she writhed in pain.

“What happened!?” the pegasus asked in alarm.

All Chrysalis could manage through her blood chilling screams were, “THE PAIN! THE PAIN!”

She could hear the pegasus fumbling around the workbench for something and running back to the bedside. “Hold still!” he grunted. Chrysalis could feel a sterilized needle tear a small hole in her shoulder, and soon her pain subsided. She was left on the bed sweating and breathless. Her screams died down to whimpers.

The colt walked over to her, still fully clad in his rags, “Are you alright now?” She tried to speak, but instead opted to give him a nod so she could catch her breath. After confirming that the medicine had worked, he walked back to the table and started working on a new potion.

“Since you are in such intense pain, we will need to keep a steady flow of medication and water in your system to help keep the pain levels down so we don’t have another incident like that one.” He quickly made another bowl of the foul smelling potion and placed it on the nightstand with a glass of water before walking to the door.

"Wait," she called. "Where are you going?"

“I just used up the last of the Nightshade extract. I need to go refine some more before the sun rises," he explained. "It shouldn't take me too long, and I will be right out back. If you need me for anything, just call for me.” He flashed her a warm smile and departed into the dark night. Chrysalis could hear the opening and closing of a gate outside, and then the low hum of a motor.

Since he was outside, she thought that now would be a good time to see just how much of her power she had access to. Focusing on the glass of water on the table, she decided that testing basic unicorn level magic would be safe and help her ease into changeling magic. It took a little effort, but she was able to pick up the glass and drink from it slowly. She smiled. That was more than I thought I could do. Now let’s try some of my changeling powers…

Her horn started to glow a vibrant green aura as she started to picture a pony she wanted to turn into. As she let her magic envelope her, she made extra sure to only change her appearance instead of altering her bone structure. In her condition, changing her entire anatomy could cause quite a few… complications. She shuddered at the memory of one of her subjects trying such a thing. In the end, she had to end his life to spare him the suffering.

First she changed her coat and mane color. She closed her eyes and focused as her mane turned a rose red while her coat turned a pearly white. Next, she changed the textures of both her horn and wings, making them the large, regal pegasus wings and ivory white horn.

Opening her eyes, she checked all of the changes she made. Good. Everything is as I willed it. The medicine that colt gave me has been working wonders. I should thank him… At that point, she realized she did not even know the colt’s name. How have I not asked him his name?

She blushed at this realization, but since she did not change any of her internal functions, her cheeks were flushed a light lime green tint. Perhaps I should tell him who I am as well.

The door to the cabin flew open as the pegasus in question started walking blindly over to the bed looking at nothing in particular. “It will be about an hour for the first vial to be ready, but IaaaaAAAHHHH!!!” He jumped back a bit when he saw her and spread his wings, bracing for combat.

“Who are you and what have you done with the black mare!” He flapped his wings as he started to charge her.

“Wait!” she yelled holding out a hoof.

This caused the pegasus to halt his attack and raise his ear. Though her appearance had changed completely, her voice was still the same. “Ma’am? Is that you?” His head was cocked to the side and his wings drooped slightly in confusion.

She closed her eyes and let the magic flow from her horn. All of the changes she made were burned away by a green flame, revealing her true form. She looked up at him. “Please, sit down. This is going to be a long conversation..."