• Published 24th Dec 2014
  • 2,740 Views, 258 Comments

Amor Vincit Omnia - BRyeMC



A continuation of the tale following Clyde's fateful meeting with Rarity.

  • ...
12
 258
 2,740

In Memoriam

"I found them."

Clyde dropped the small storage tub on the table in his living room and he took a seat beside Rarity on his couch. With a single move, Clyde gently lifted up the lid and placed it on the ground. He looked inside and slowly inhaled and exhaled.

"Are you sure you will be okay?" asked Rarity concerned. "I know it's a sensitive topic for you which is why I never asked you before, but Sunset gave me the idea of using some old photos for our wedding."

"Don't worry. Even if I do get sad, it'll be fun to see all these. I haven't looked through here in years." He looked over at her and gave a smile.

Due to the visit from Equestria's Rarity about a week ago, Rarity herself wanted to look through some more photos from the past, and with Sunset's suggestion, it was a perfect reason to do so. She and Clyde had already went through many of her childhood albums her parents kept around. However, now it was time for them to look through Clyde's.

Clyde reached into the tub and pulled out one of the albums. As he opened it up, a photo fell out and landed on his foot. He reached down and picked it up. He gave it a quick look and smiled.

The man and the woman in the photo looked to be about the same age as he and Rarity. The woman's long and thick auburn hair shined brightly in the sunshine as she happily looked at the man to her side through her choppy-styled bangs with her dark brown irises that Shale inherited. Her skin was a light tan which helped compliment her eyes and hair color. The man on the other hand looked more like Clyde. In fact, he was almost identical to him except for his style of hair, his lighter skin, and his slightly different colored green irises. The man held his guitar over his head proudly as if he just nailed the greatest guitar solo in the world.

"Your mother was simply beautiful," gushed Rarity. "Her hair is a perfect mix of neat and unkempt! How did she ever manage to do that?"

"I'm not sure," laughed Clyde.

"Your father on the other hand... I see this is where the rocker phase was strong." Rarity giggled.

"Yeah... Dad was in a band for a long time before I was born. After Shale was born, he decided to stop to spend time with Mom and him." Clyde looked at the album on the table and flipped through it. "This is my parents' album. I guess Shale looked through it again before he left a few months ago."

"Do you mind if we look as well?" asked Rarity. "I would love to see for myself how your parents fell in love. After all, they are responsible for bringing you into my life." Rarity playfully giggled and snuggled her head into his arm.

"I don't mind," replied Clyde with a smirk.

Clyde quickly went through his parents' childhood photos, telling Rarity how his father was born in a military base in the western part of the country while his mother was born near a harbor city northeast part of the country. Both of their families eventually moved to what became Clyde's small hometown to find work. All the pictures of his parents' childhood Clyde looked through showed his parents and his grandparents and uncles and aunts smiling away or doing something silly. Most of the photos were from beach trips, amusement parks, birthdays, holidays, and other random pictures taken on random occasions. When Clyde reached the high school era for his parents, he began speaking much more because he remembered them talking about it a lot to him.

"My, look at their clothes," stated Rarity looking over Clyde's mother's outfit for the first day of school during her sophomore year. "I can't believe our parents all wore that."

Clyde shook his head. "It was thirty or so years ago."

"I know. I'm not saying the clothes are hideous. I love seeing how fashion evolved through the years. It's just I personally would never wear that." Rarity moved a page or two and stopped on a picture of Clyde's mother in a cheerleading outfit. "So, I assume your father played sports?"

"He did, but it wasn't basketball or football."

"Really?"

Clyde nodded. "Baseball was his sport. I played when I was little, and Shale and him both played in the backyard with me sometimes, but i grew out of it. It didn't interest me enough."

"That's too bad..." stated Rarity sadly, "baseball uniforms are extremely sexy, much more than a basketball uniform ever could be. Although, I do love how a basketball jersey showcases your muscled shoulders and arms..." Clyde gave her a curious look and Rarity quietly coughed in her hand and gave him an innocent smile. "They don't have cheerleaders for baseball, though," she said to talk about his parents again and change the subject.

"I know. My parents didn't actually start dating until after high school."

"Really?!" said Rarity astonished. "Why was that? Did they at least know about each other?"

"Yeah, they shared a few classes with each other. Dad was always attracted to Mom, but she had a boyfriend and he didn't want to start anything so he kept quiet. She and that guy dated pretty much for five years before they broke up." Clyde frowned and pulled out a small list that was hidden behind one of his mother's pictures from her senior year. The list contained student's names that won certain awards that were voted by their peers. "She and him even got 'Class Couple' and they still broke up the next year. Dad, however, got one for best musician." Clyde showed her some pictures of his Dad in his school band outfit when he was a freshman and then his straight rocker gear during his senior year with some other guys.

"So, that explains the guitar in your house and why music is important to you," said Rarity with a smile. "You inherited his love for music just like how you inherited your mother's pure heart and kindness that you told me about."

Clyde smiled at her and proudly nodded. "I wish he was still around to teach me how to play the guitar like he could. I remember watching him play at the house when I was little. He would go to the basement and jam out with his electric guitar that was plugged into the amplifier as the basement was where he kept his old band stuff and he would still play his guitar as a hobby. Everyone in the house could hear him, but seeing him in action was so cool. It was so thrilling."

"I bet." Rarity smiled and looked back at some of his mother's pictures. "What happened between your mother and her old flame?" questioned Rarity curiously. "I'm intrigued to see how your father came into the picture."

"Well, from what I was told, it was about a year after high school for my parents when they met again," began Clyde. "Dad's band was pretty established by this point and they played at some local places every Saturday night. One night while they were playing, Dad saw Mom in the crowd. After the band stopped playing for the night, he went over to talk to her as he really hadn't seen her since high school and he wanted to catch up with some classmates."

"Was he aware that your mother was single?"

"Not at the time, no. She did tell him that eventually and he saw she was still sad to say that. She really did love that guy, but after he broke her heart by cheating on her, she didn't really trust any boy anymore."

Rarity nodded and she crossed her arms. "I wouldn't trust any boy either if you ever did that to me."

"You know I would never do that!" explained Clyde with worry.

Rarity grabbed his hands and smiled. "Calm down, darling. I know you wouldn't. I'm just saying a girl's heart is very fragile and if the one person they love the most ever broke it, they would feel that pain for a long time."

Clyde nodded in relief. "Which is what happened to my mother's. Luckily, Dad was able to cheer her up by inviting her to all his remaining gigs for the month and the two began forming a relationship over time shortly after that. He would always play love songs on his guitar for her and they would always just spend time together doing whatever they could find just to be together."

"Aw, how sweet..." Rarity quickly looked at Clyde and pouted. "Now that you mention it, you never serenaded me with a love song on the guitar yet..."

"Because I'm not that good," replied Clyde lowering his head. "I wanted to play perfectly for you, but I never managed to do it. I would always mess up on chords and certain parts..."

"You don't have to play perfectly for me, Clyde. It's the thought that counts, but at least I know why there was a delay."

"I'm sorry."

Rarity ignored the apology and kissed him to comfort him. They both gave a loving grin at each other before they looked back at the photo album. Rarity picked up the first picture of Clyde's parents that fell out of the album before they started and hummed. "When was this taken?"

Clyde scratched his head. "I'm not sure. Most of these don't have dates on them, but they look to be about our age or slightly older by a year. This was definitely before they got engaged, even though they weren't engaged long. They dated for four years before their wedding."

Rarity gave him another one of her curious gazes. "Why was their engagement so short-lived?"

"My mother was pregnant with Shale and since she didn't want to show in her wedding dress, they got married a month after the engagement." Clyde flipped some pages until he found some of his parents' wedding photos. "Mom's family was rather religious about that type of stuff so she tried hiding the fact she was pregnant from them until after the wedding."

Rarity looked over some of the photos of Clyde's mother in her wedding dress. "Oh, wow. If you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't even have known she was pregnant. Her figure still looks the same." Clyde noticed Rarity kept quiet after her comment as she scanned the various photos.

"What's wrong, Rarity?"

"I can't help to think about our wedding day whenever it comes." Rarity looked up at him and smiled. "It's still a surreal feeling. Seeing both our parents' wedding photos makes me excited to experience ours and for when we get to look back at it someday."

Clyde held her hand and comforted her with a quick grin. "I know what you mean. I'm excited to see how it turns out too, but at least I know for certain that you will be the most stunning and beautiful girl there. You always will be."

"Thank you, darling," she cooed, wrapping her arms around him and hugging him snugly.

Clyde's parents' photo album abruptly stopped after the wedding photos. Clyde gently closed the album and pulled out the second one.

"This album was for Shale and me." Clyde opened the album and quickly zoomed through Shale's pictures. He didn't mean no harm to his brother, but he knew his pictures were the whole reason why the two of them were even looking through these albums. About halfway through the album, a baby boy began to appear more and more beside the now older Shale. Rarity stopped at a picture of the baby who was dressed up in a small suit and who was being lovingly hugged by both of Clyde's parents in their formal attire.

"Oooooh~! Look how adorable you looked in your little suit!" gushed Rarity. She pinched Clyde's cheek and playfully giggled. "And now look how strong and big you are!"

"Quit it," said Clyde embarrassed and moving away from her. He rubbed his cheek and shook his head.

"You know I'm teasing you, Clyde." Rarity smirked and returned her eyes back to the photo. "Were you in a wedding as a baby?"

"Yep. My uncle and aunt's. I was told I was pretty calm as a baby so I guess I was invited to the wedding, too." Clyde laughed. "Although a few years later, that all changed..."

"What do you mean?" asked Rarity looking at pictures of Clyde when he was in the toddler years.

"I was calm as a baby, but I was super energetic as I got older."

Clyde flipped through the photo album and showed her several photos of him that he found interesting when he was about five or six. The first photo was from Halloween night and he was dressed up in a bounty hunter costume with two fake laser pistols pointed at the camera. The next photo was of him and Shale on a trampoline playfully wrestling and fighting each other with fake swords. On the next page was a photo of Clyde's first "note to a parent" about his bad behavior in school for getting into a fight with someone at recess. Finally, the last few photos they looked at pictured Clyde in his baseball uniform with his hat on backwards and him raising the bat to the sky and playing basketball with Shale.

"My, weren't you quite the hellion?" asked Rarity with a giggle. "You got into a fight with someone in school? Whatever was the reason?"

Clyde looked at her and he crossed his arms to act tough. "Some kid took the bag of chips my Mom packed for me in lunch. I didn't eat them yet so I brought them out to recess."

Rarity looked at him and sighed. "You couldn't have simply asked him for them back? Or told a teacher?"

"No, he needed to learn the hard way why taking food from me was a mistake." Clyde burst into a laugh.

Rarity shook her head this time before giving him a smile. After flipping through some photos of Clyde in his primary and elementary school years, she noticed a repeating person in almost every photo from school. "Who was this boy beside you? Was he a friend from school?"

"Mosaic. I met him in first grade and was friends with him for a long time until he moved during the summer after fourth grade." Clyde sadly looked down. "He was an awesome friend to me. We played video games together, played on the same baseball teams, and even somehow managed to be in the same class each year." Clyde took a deep breath. "I always hated fifth grade. That was the worst year of my life. That's where everything changed and I became more of an introvert. I lost my best friend and parents within a few weeks of each other..."

Rarity looked at him quietly and looked through the last few pages of the album. The last picture in it was of Clyde's family giving the photographer a giant group of smiles and laughter to end a perfect summer vacation at the beach. She carefully looked at his parents and frowned. "This is the last photo of them?" she asked quietly.

Clyde gave a single nod. "They died in October of that year. I was in fifth grade. I only knew them for ten years of my life and a third of that was me being too young to understand anything..."

Rarity quickly hugged him and put her head on his shoulder. She sat there hugging him without a single word for a good amount of time before she slowly moved away from him to wipe some stray tears from his eyes.

Clyde remained silent as Rarity went back to look through the albums. He wanted to keep staring intently at the wall across the room, but he couldn't help but glance down at the photos, seeing glimpses of past family vacations, reunions, and parties his parents, Shale, and him went to, as Rarity flipped through the pages.

Rarity would occasionally look back at him and ask him if she could take a certain photo of him for future use for the wedding reception in which he would allow her, but his mind was clouded by the thoughts of his hazy memories of his family. He quickly tried thinking of other things to preoccupy his mind, like basketball or his friends, but a certain thought came to his mind and he instantly smiled.

"Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?" he spoke suddenly.

Rarity looked at him. "Well, nothing that I know of. I figured we would find something to do whenever we woke up tomorrow."

Clyde looked out the window. "I want to take you on a road trip tomorrow. I want you to see something."

"A road trip? But I didn't pack for that!" exclaimed Rarity.

"Just wear what you are wearing. The place is about three hours away and we will be back in Canterlot before dusk tomorrow if we leave early in the morning." Clyde gave her a playful smirk. "But seeing it's you... We probably won't get to leave until noon."

Rarity looked away and crossed her arms. "I can awake early if I want to. It's just sleeping in feels so good. If I'm not up, then just wake me up. I'll get over it."

Clyde laughed. "I'll hold you to that."

Within the next hour, Clyde and Rarity finished up collecting enough photos of him to match all the photos they had of Rarity when she was younger from the night before. They felt content enough to make something special with the photos so Clyde put away the photo albums and the two of them headed to his bedroom to sleep for the night.


~ ~ ~


Unlike what Rarity had said, Clyde had to carry her out of his bed since she refused to wake up and get ready to leave town at seven in the morning. She was angry with him for waking her up, but after Clyde repeated what she had told him the night before, she instantly calmed down. The two of them took quick showers, got dressed, and ate a quick breakfast before heading to Clyde's car. As Clyde was driving towards the highway, he noticed Rarity had already fell asleep again in the passenger seat, snuggled up in a blanket. He turned the radio on so he could slightly hear it and began the drive to visit his old hometown once more.

Clyde expected the highway was going to be busy with other drivers on their normal weekday commute at this time in the morning, but luckily for him, it was tolerable. It was the middle of July after all and many people were most likely on their week of vacation, lessening the number of cars on the road. About thirty minutes into the journey, Clyde felt relieved to be able to feel the freedom of driving again. His year overseas felt like a monotonous routine as he only traveled by team bus or a plane. He very rarely found time to explore the various cities and countries he stayed in. Driving gave him that feeling of freedom and he knew by the end of the road trip he would feel even better. Because of the music and his sleeping fiancée in the passenger seat, the three hour drive went smoothly.

Rarity slept peacefully most of the ride, but she soon woke up, or at least half-woke up, from her nap when the two of them were ten minutes away from the destination, and after some gentle nudges from Clyde.

"Hmm..."

"We are almost here." Clyde smiled at her.

"Spectacular..." slurred Rarity who made no attempt to look up or even open her eyes.

Clyde gave a long sigh. He drove right by the town sign welcoming all visitors and he shrugged. "I guess sleep is more important than me."

"Don't act like that."

Clyde laughed and kept his eyes on the road. The roads were completely barren compared to the highway due to the low population of the town. The town itself wasn't a home to many large companies, so most residents commuted to the nearby cities for work. It was almost midday now and most people were either out of town for work or they were currently relaxing on vacation.

Clyde continued down the nearly empty roads until he found the flower shop near the town's square. After parking in one of the town's parking lots, Clyde shut the car off and looked towards the flower shop. He tried getting Rarity to enter the shop with him, but she was busy trying to wake herself up so he went in alone knowing it wouldn't take long. In five short minutes, Clyde left the shop holding a vase that contained pink carnations and daisies.

As he walked back to his car, he saw Rarity was already outside of it and sitting on the hood waiting for him. "Flowers? For me?" she asked happily.

Clyde looked at the vase of flowers and frowned. "Unfortunately, no. They are for someone else today."

"Oh..." Rarity pouted and looked at the ground sadly until Clyde pulled out a single rose from his back pocket. She smiled as she accepted the flower. "You're so sweet."

Clyde smirked and he pulled out his car keys. "I was going to wake you up by waving the rose in front of you to surprise you with it, but you already waiting on me made it seem more romantic." Rarity giggled as Clyde beeped the electronic lock to open the car doors. He held the vase with one arm as he held out his hand for Rarity in a mannerly way.

Rarity took his hand and gently hopped of the car hood and the two of them got back into the car. Normally he would have walked around, but Clyde wanted to visit two people first. Rarity held the case for him and Clyde pulled out of the parking lot and drove down the central street of the town.

"This was your hometown, wasn't it?" asked Rarity a few minutes later. The two of them had already reached the outskirts of the town and was now reaching Clyde's main destination for the day.

"How'd you guess?"

"Well, you wouldn't take me on a three hour or so car ride just to buy flowers in a random town when there was a flower shop in Canterlot a block away from my house." Rarity looked over at him and winked.

"I guess that does makes sense," laughed Clyde. "Anyway, welcome to the small rural town of Verona. It's nothing like Canterlot, but this is where I lived until Shale and I moved there the summer before I met you."

Rarity blinked. "Verona? Isn't that the name—"

"Yes. Our town was, indeed, named after the same town from that famous play from overseas. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing this place was founded around the same time."

Rarity nodded. "I loved that play. It was so romantic, even if the ending was sad..."

"Nothing like that happened here, it's just we have the same town name as that city."

"That's good to know," replied Rarity.

Within minutes, Clyde reached a small parking lot and gate where he parked in an open stall and turned the car off. There were several cars parked, but Clyde knew the people were already inside the small rural cemetery. After getting out of the car again, Clyde and Rarity made their way into the cemetery.

Clyde held the vase of flowers as he carefully walked down trails, trying not to trip over anything. Rarity followed closely, but she remained quiet as she looked around.

The cemetery itself was small in size to match the small town. Rows of graves sprawled out across the site and many trails branched off to different and looping paths leading back to the main gate. Beside many graves were flowers, wreaths, or other small memorable gifts to loved ones that had passed away. Rarity wanted to say something, but she abruptly ran into the back of Clyde who was standing still.

"What's the matter, darling?" she asked before stepping to the side. As she looked down at what he was looking at that made him stop so suddenly, she gasped. There are the two ornate gravestones, Rarity read clear as day, were Clyde's parents' names.

Clyde stared at the gravestones in deep thought. He was looking so intently that he was unaware Rarity even ran into him. Clyde gently leaned down to set the vase of pink carnations and daisies near his mother's grave and he sat down, his arms reaching around his knees, in front of them.

"Hey, Mom. Dad. It's been awhile, huh?" spoke Clyde softly, his face somber. "I know I didn't visit last year, but lots of things were going on in my head at the time and I left on short notice. I'm finally home, though. I'm sure Shale told you guys what I was doing when he came by himself last summer since I wasn't here. To make it up to you, I brought someone with me this time, someone who I talked about two years ago the last time I was here." Clyde looked behind him to Rarity. He instantly smiled as he made eye contact with her.

Rarity was still silent as she walked up to him. She kneel down in front of the gravestones and sat down on her heels with her hands in her lap. "Hello. I've always wanted to meet you two..."

Clyde looked back at the gravestones. "Mom. Dad. This is Rarity. I'm sure you both knew what she looked like, though, seeing how she is an angel after all to me." Clyde saw Rarity give a smile at the comment.

Clyde coughed into his hand and tried to clear his throat. No matter what year he visited, he always had difficulty talking in the cemetery. He always felt choked up seeing the gravestones. "Anyway, the reason I didn't see you guys last year is because I thought playing professional basketball was my dream in life. Basketball was one of my escapes in reality, but after playing it overseas for a year, I realized how hard that was. I realized I would never be about to play it year after year because of how in love I was with this girl beside me."

Clyde's face brightened. "I wanted to bring Rarity here today because I wanted to tell you both how much she means to me. She not only healed my heart from loneliness but she also made me understand the concept of love. Love isn't about appearance, even if Rarity is absolutely beautiful to me anyway and always. Love isn't about personality, even if Rarity's personality manages to cheer me up effortlessly. Love is about being truly happy and Rarity makes me feel that. Every time I look at her, I feel happy. By just being with her, I feel like I could do anything because I know I have her support. I love her so much that I just had to marry her. All my effort, fatigue, and tears spent overseas was worth it because I managed to propose to my best friend." Clyde looked at Rarity and wiped his eyes. His tears were a mix of sorrow from not being about to see in parents in person and joy and happiness by letting out his heart to Rarity, which he did countless times before anyway.

Rarity kept her smile the whole time during Clyde's speech. She leaned her head on his shoulder as Clyde hugged her tightly. "Your son Clyde makes me feel the same way and I love him so much that I honestly don't know what I would do without him at this point. He changed my life for the better and I feel the most happiest when he is around."

Rarity felt tears of happiness and sorrow run down her cheeks now. Although she never knew Clyde's parents, she understood the grief and sorrow he was currently feeling. "I saw pictures of all of you together... You two always looked at Shale and Clyde with so much love that it made me think of the times that my mother and father would look at me or my sister. I always hate seeing Clyde sad or upset. Family was a sensitive topic for him and every time someone or some friends mentioned family vacations or reunions, I saw Clyde turn his head with a troubled expression. I could tell he was hurt. When he hurts, so do I and as his best friend, his girlfriend, his fiancée, and his future wife, I promise you both with all of my heart that I will love, cherish, and take care of your son with the same love you showed him as he grew up." Rarity gently kissed Clyde's cheek and rubbed away his tears. She shared a loving gaze with his eyes and she snuggled her head on his shoulder. "We are both our happiest when we are together and I want to make sure Clyde feel that and love everyday for the rest of our lives."

Clyde nodded with a grin then took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "I know most people my age grew up around their parents all their life, but I want you both to know I miss you everyday and always think of you guys. You probably wanted me to just continue living without grieving for you when I was only ten, but I couldn't ever forget the two people I respected the most. Most people don't know what it was like for me growing up. All I would do was listen to music and pretend in my head that everything was a bad dream and I would wake up and see you both in the morning. That moment never came and I finally realized that."

Clyde opened his eyes. "If I could see you both in person one more time... that would be amazing. It would mean so much to me. We would talk for hours about random topics and just laugh away. Maybe we can reunite one day, but I have to still make you guys proud. I promise I'll love Rarity as much as you loved Mom, Dad. Shale already told me how much I reminded him of you in the way I act and the way I treat Rarity. For you Mom, I hope you enjoy your flowers. I remember how much you loved daisies and I'll make sure to protect Rarity's heart and always keep her first in my head like I already always do." Clyde stood up and put his hands on both the gravestones. He gave a teary smile. "Goodbye, Mom, Dad. I'll see you guys next year. I love you both and I always will."

Rarity walked up to him and put her hands on top of his. "I'll be sure to love and take care of your son as I promised. Goodbye..."

Clyde gave his parents' gravestones one last look before Rarity put her arm around his and they slowly walked out of the cemetery and back to his car. The two of them were completely silent during the short trek back to give the spirits at rest their peace. Once inside the car, Rarity looked over at Clyde.

"Are you doing okay?"

"I always feel this way when Shale and I come visit," said Clyde sullenly. "It's just... talking to them makes me feel happy. I know they are always with me anyways, but just talking to them like that shows them how much I love them."

Rarity nodded and grabbed his hand. "Thanks for taking me here to support you. I know it was hard for you to talk, but you did good, darling. I'm proud of you and so are they."

"My mind is always a mess when I come here, but I push myself to talk to them." Clyde smiled. "They wouldn't want me to still cry over them. It would break their heart seeing their son hurt. I'm glad you were able to talk to them, too."

"I just wanted to reiterate how much we love and support each other and how the future for us involves each other. Besides, we both know they will be at our wedding in spirit." Rarity smiled.

"You're right," replied Clyde with a smile of his own. "Enough sad talk. My parents would yell at me for still being mopey. Would you like to see my old house and my old school before we head back to Canterlot?"

"I would love to."

Clyde nodded and started the car. As he pulled away from the cemetery, he looked in the rear-view mirror and watched it fade slowly in the distance into a blur.

Clyde knew he wasn't completely saying goodbye to his parents as they were always with him in spirit and because he inherited their defining traits that made him who he was. Even if he missed them everyday and wished they could still be alive, he knew they would always love him and he would always love them. Once the cemetery was completely gone, Clyde looked forward to the bright and sunny sky.

Because that's what his parents would want him to do.