• Published 19th Dec 2014
  • 5,705 Views, 138 Comments

My Little Pony Equestria Girls 4: Sunset Shimmer Returns - Hopeful Soul



Sunset Shimmer finally returns home to Equestria to right her old wrongs, unfortunately the sins of the Human World follow her back and put everypony in Equestria in danger.

  • ...
10
 138
 5,705

Going to the Tower

Chapter 7

It was early in the afternoon by the time they had reached the half way point between the Dark Tower and Canterlot and while some of them we’re tired, the six ponies kept on going in the hopes of saving their friend and their world. While they traveled, Sunset began to remember the conversation she had with her family before she left with the others.


“Listen, I know your all shaken by what just happened and I don’t want to leave you...” Sunset Shimmer began, while he family stood in front of her, looking worried. “But I have go with my friends and find the one who did this. And save Princess Twilight as well.”

“No! It’s too dangerous!” Sunny Day exclaimed.

“Yeah, I know it is Mom, but…” Sunset started to say.

“I said no! I lost you once… I won’t lose you again.” Her mother told her, stubbornly.

“You’re not gonna lose me, I’ll be ok.” Sunset tried to assure her.

“But can’t somepony else do it instead? Like the Princess’?” Sunny inquired.

“Well… the thing is I’m not sure even THEY can stop this evil.” Sunset admitted.

“But YOU can?” Her father questioned.

Sunset Shimmer looked doubtful but said some assuring words anyway. “I KNOW I can.”

“But Sunset…” Her mother began.

“Let her go.” Solar Wind spoke up as he rubbed the ground with his hoof thoughtfully. His wife turned to him surprised. “Sunset’s no filly anymore, she can take care of herself just fine and make her own decisions too.”

“That’s right, the world might be destroyed if I don’t help out Mom, I’m doing this to protect YOU!” Sunset told her.

“Sunset…” Sunny Day breathed, with tears coming down her face.

“Mom, Dad, don’t worry, I’ll be fine, I promise you.” Sunset Shimmer assured them.

“We know you will.” Her father nodded, with a proud smile.

“Goodbye…” Sunny Day cried.

Sunset teared up as well. “Bye guys,” she said as she embraced her parents tightly. She soon stops when she felt somepony nudging her below and saw her little sister looking up at her with her large, cute eyes.

“Sunset Shimmer?” Her little sister below her spoke up, whimpering.

The fiery haired unicorn looked down and smiled fondly at the filly, she kneeled down. “Don’t worry Sunkiss, your big sister just needs to take of a few things, ok?”

“And then you’ll be back?” The filly asked, hopefully.

Sunset looked a bit unsure but did her best to hide it from her little sister and smiled. “I’ll be back,” she told her before they both hugged.

“Well… I guess you should be going now.” Sunny Day said, sadly.

“Yeah…” Sunset nodded, just as sad.

“Just remember, we’re all proud of you Sunset, no matter what happens we’re proud.” Solar Wind stated.

“And we always have been.” Sunny Day added.

“Mom… Dad… Sunkiss…” Sunset Shimmer said, stunned before tears began to well up in her eyes as she smiled. She then turned and started running before crying out. “I love you all so much!”

Her father, mother and sister all watched her run off to join the others with proud but sad smiles on their faces and unknown to her, she ended up running right past her brother, who was watching from the shadows. He looked at her go with a stunned expression on his face and began to think very hard.


Then a voice called out to her.

“Sunset? Sunset!”

The aforementioned unicorn then snapped out of her flashback and quickly remembered who she was with and what was going on at the moment. She turned to the farm pony that called out to her.

“You ok, sugarcube?” she asked, looking very concerned.

“Uh… yeah… yeah I’m fine.” Sunset Shimmer assured her.

“Ok… but… let us know if something’s troubling ya.” Applejack told her. “We’re friends, aren’t we?”

Sunset looked a bit surprised and then smiled. “Yes, we are.”

“Glad to hear it.” Applejack smiled back. “Now let’s get a move on, ok?”

“Right!” Sunset Shimmer nodded, determined as they continued to move.


And so their journey continued once again and it seemed that they were getting closer and closer to the Dark Tower, but since none of them could see it just yet they weren’t fully sure and most of them were getting anxious and impatient, mainly Pinkie Pie.

“Are we there yet?” she finally asked.

“NO!” They all shouted, annoyed.

Pinkie paused before speaking again. “Now?” she inquired.

“Look, when we get there I promise I’ll let you know.” Sunset Shimmer told her.

“So until then, stay quiet!” Rainbow Dash told her, sternly.

“Okie, dokie, lokey!” Pinkie chirped.

“And also stay on your guard, you never know, this could be a trap.” Sunset told them.

“Heh, please, we totally got this.” Rainbow Dash said, confidently.

“Don’t be overconfident, RD.” Applejack told her, sternly. “Out of all the messes we’ve been in, this may be the messiest one yet.”

“Then we’ll just have to rise to the challenge like we always do.” Rainbow stated.

“Yeah!” Pinkie cheered.

“Maybe, but this time seems kinda different…” Applejack voiced, slowly.

“Different how?” Rainbow questioned, curiously.

“I don’t know… it just is.” Applejack said, a bit uneasy as they kept moving, but along the way Rarity began to complain and whine

“Oh… can we take a break? I can’t take another step!” Rarity expressed, exhausted.

“Rarity, we’ve just had a break like ten minutes ago! Tops!” Applejack pointed out, annoyed.

“Feels like forever…” Rarity sighed.

“Wow… you really are Rarity…” Sunset remarked.

“Wait… the other is just as whiny as our Rarity?” Rainbow questioned.

“Uh-huh.” Sunset nodded.

“Sister, I feel so sorry for you.” Rainbow expressed while the aforementioned white unicorn glared at her, which she noticed. “Uh… no offence.”

“Well, at least this version of you is more… considerate.” Sunset Shimmer noted.

“Thanks… I think.” Rainbow Dash said, sounding a bit unsure.

Sunset just chuckled softly and put her hoof around her. “Come on, let’s get going.”

“Right.” The Cyan Pegasus nodded as they began to leave.


Their journey continued onward until they eventually reached a fork in the road, both directions seemed to lead to equally unpleasant destinations and none of them seemed sure which one to take. Rarity’s face fell.

“Oh this just wonderful…” Rarity remarked, dismayed.

“Guess we should have known it wouldn’t be that easy to get there.” Sunset stated.

“Ok, so which way now?” Applejack asked.

“Hmm, let me check the map again.” Sunset said as she levitate the scroll out of her saddle bag and looked it over again. “I think it says we go to the right.”

“You think?” Rainbow questioned, with the others sharing her baffled look.

“Well, this map is kind of smudged so…” The unicorn said.

“Alright, well if it says we go right, then we go right, right?” Applejack asked.

“Right!” Fluttershy nodded in agreement.

“Ok, this is getting old…” Rainbow said, deadpan.

“Wait, are we sure this is the way? I mean it might not be.” Pinkie pointed out.

“My goodness! It’s a wonder we manage to get anything done at all!” Rarity expressed, frustrated.

Rainbow sighed, equally frustrated, she turned to Pinkie. “We’ve been discussing the topic about if were going the right way for the past ten minutes and we’ve all decided we are, haven’t you been paying any attention?”

“Uh…” Pinkie began to say.

“Apparently not.” Rainbow said, deadpan.

“So, does anypony have any other ideas?” Sunset questioned. “We need to make a decision of which way we’re going and fast. Twilight’s counting on us.”

They all began to think long and hard about what to do next but so far they had nothing. Then a thought popped into Applejack’s head that made her cringe a bit as well as a bit hesitant to speak, but she did so anyway.

“Hmm, I think I might know a way.” Applejack voiced.

“What’s that?” Sunset asked, curiously.

“Yeah, spill.” Rainbow added.

“Well… this crazy lady is after the Elements, right?” Applejack said.

“Yeah…?” Rainbow confirmed.

“So what if we go back… get the Elements out of the Tree of Harmony and then lure her to us by using them as bait and when she’s near… we blast her into next week!” Applejack declared. Everypony gasped.

“That sounds crazy!” Rainbow Dash voiced.

“It sounds dangerous…” Fluttershy added, shaking with fear.

“More like exciting!” Pinkie cheered.

“But mostly crazy and dangerous!” Rarity expressed. “We can’t just use the Elements like that!”

“Well, it’s better than talking ourselves in circles.” Applejack remarked.

“So we just risk losing them and actually giving the bad guy what she wants so that she can kick our rumps halfway across the street and back?” Rainbow Dash questioned, incredulously.

“I don’t think we have much of a choice ya’ll.” Applejack shrugged.

“Not quite.” Sunset said. “And I think know a way we can locate Princess Twilight a little faster and in way that’s less ‘crazy and dangerous’. Not sure if it’ll work though…

“Well, we gotta try! Twilight may not have much time left!” Rainbow Dash pointed out.

“She’s right… shockingly.” Rarity added. Rainbow glared at her, annoyed.

“Alright, so what is this idea of yours, Sunset?” Applejack inquired.

“We could… teleport closer to it.” Sunset said, hesitantly.

“Huh?” They all said, confused.

“Teleport closer to it? How?” Rainbow Dash questioned.

“Yeah, I thought you needed to know where you were going in order to teleport.” Applejack pointed.

“Otherwise you could end up inside a wall.” Fluttershy added.

“I know… but like Rainbow Dash said; Twilight may not have much time and we don’t really have much of a choice.” Sunset stated. “But if any of you have any other ideas… speak now.”

Everypony exchanged glances but couldn’t seem to find the right words to say or even a better idea, so they just stayed silent.

“Thought so, alright… everypony hold on tight.” The fiery haired unicorn told them as she charged up her horn, which glowed brightly. Everypony closed their eyes and started to hope that it would work, some of them even held hooves and in a flash they were gone.

When they finally reappeared, they were surrounded by fog but none of them knew that due to their eyes still being closed.

“Are we dead?” Pinkie Pie asked.

The farm pony looked around and saw that they seemed to be in a dark and foggy location with a rickety bridge near them.

“I don’t think so… I think we’re here…” Applejack breathed, smiling slowly.

They all opened their eyes looked around as well and saw, aside from the darkness and the fog, many jagged looking rocky formations pointing up ward all around them. They also appeared to be on a flat stone formation with a bridge connection to another and the tip of some kind of tower up ahead. It was the Dark Tower.

“It worked…” Sunset said, surprised. “It actually worked! But how?”

Then it hit Fluttershy. “It must have been our friendship!” she said.

“Our friendship?” Rarity echoed, surprised.

Fluttershy nodded. “Yes, I don’t know how but… when we all started hoping that Sunset’s spell would work… our hopes and friendship allowed it to do so and guided us all hear safely.”

“Yeah… I think your right!” Rainbow Dash said, with realization in her voice.

“Wow! Our friendship is awesome!” Pinkie Pie cheered.

“I’ll vouch for that.” Sunset nodded, smiling warmly.

“So now what?” Rarity inquired, curiously.

“Well… now I reckon we have to cross that they’re bridge.” Applejack stated, gesturing to the rickety bridge that Sunset spotted earlier. Fluttershy looked at it, nervously.

“Looks dangerous…” Fluttershy voiced.

“Don’t worry! If anything happens I’ll make sure the bridge stays straight.” Rainbow Dash assured her.

“Thanks Rainbow Dash.” Fluttershy said, smiling warmly.

“Come on, if we run we can make it!” Sunset Shimmer said as she ran forward.

Applejack turned to the others. “You heard her, girls. Let’s move on out!” she said before quickly trotting off. The others soon followed as they ran across the bridge toward the Dark Tower up ahead of them, little did they know that the Masked Woman they were preparing to face off against was watching them from hover.

“So… they’ve arrived, now then… how will the dice fall?” she wondered before vanishing.