• Published 19th Dec 2014
  • 5,733 Views, 138 Comments

My Little Pony Equestria Girls 4: Sunset Shimmer Returns - Hopeful Soul



Sunset Shimmer finally returns home to Equestria to right her old wrongs, unfortunately the sins of the Human World follow her back and put everypony in Equestria in danger.

  • ...
10
 138
 5,733

Goodbye

Chapter 2

Meanwhile, the next day back in Equestria, while everybody back in the other world was preparing for Sunset’s little ‘farewell’ party, the citizens of Ponyville were just getting up and getting ready to resume their peaceful lives, as well as their newest Princess, Princess Twilight, who had just gotten up and yawned as she walked into her castle’s kitchen where her assistant Spike was currently eating his breakfast.

“Morning Spike!” Princess Twilight Sparkle said.

“Morning Twilight.” Spike said as he ate his breakfast. “What’s up? Sleep well?”

“Oh, definitely, especially since there’s no world threatening disaster at our doorstep these days.” Princess Twilight expressed.

Spike groaned. “Come on, Twilight, when you say that it’s like you want something to happen,” he complained.

“I do not!” Twilight frowned. “I’m just really enjoying the peace we have right now.”

“More like for now…” Spike muttered under his breath.

“Trust me, Spike.” Princess Twilight assured him, as she levitated a cup of tea over to her. “There’s nothing to worry…”

Just before Twilight could finish her pupils shrank as she gasped sharply, causing her to drop the cup, which shattered upon impact, startling Spike. As Twilight seemingly stared off into space she began to see multiple images in her mind, images of a masked woman, Sunset Shimmer, her and the other Princess’ falling and the Rainbow Power that they used to defeat Tirek. She screamed as she held her throbbing head and dropped to her knees. Spikes eyes widened.

“Twilight!” Spike cried as he rushed over to her and helped. “Are you ok? What happened?”

“I… I had a vision…” Princess Twilight breathed.

“A vision?” Spike echoed as he kept her from falling, “What kind of vision?”

“I’m not sure… but I have a feeling that something terrible is about to unfold…” Princess Twilight mused.

“Oh great…” Spike groaned. “Told you that you were asking for something to happen.”

Just then, the book with Princess Celestia’s Cutie Mark, currently set nearby, started to glow and vibrate, catching their attention.

“Speaking of which…” Spike muttered.

Twilight levitated the book over to her and read it.

“What is it?” The dragon inquired.

“A message from Sunset Shimmer, it says she’s coming back to Equestria to talk to Princess Celestia!” Princess Twilight read, shocked.

“Wow! Really? Sunset Shimmer is coming here?” Spike questioned, surprised.

“Yeah, I guess she wants to set things right with the Princess…” Twilight said.

“It’s about time if you ask me, she and Princess Celestia haven’t spoken since she first left after… you know.” Spike said, slowly.

“Yeah, I do, and I hope the Princess has it in her to forgive her for what she’s done like we have.” Princess Twilight voiced, concerned.

“Twilight, this is Princess Celestia we’re talking about, everything will be fine.” Spike assured her.

“I hope so…” Princess Twilight voiced.


Meanwhile, in the other world, it was late at night and at Pinkie’s house Sunset’s farewell party was in full swing. Like the graduation party there were snacks, drinks and tons of people who, like the Rainboom’s, had finally accepted and befriended Sunset Shimmer, who couldn’t be happier as she danced alongside her good friends.

As they danced, they also noticed Human Twilight dancing in a style that was almost as bad as Princess Twilight’s during the Fall Formal, possibly worse as they all stared at her somewhat freaked out.

“Uh… Twilight? Are you dancing or did your legs fall asleep?” Rainbow questioned, disturbed.

“Oh… little bit of both.” Twilight shrugged. “This is one of the few parties I’ve been to so…”

“Well, in that case just do as we do, darling.” Rarity instructed.

“Yeah, don’t try to force it, just feel the flow!” Rainbow Dash added.

Rainbow and the others then continued dancing, Twilight watched them for a few seconds and then began to feel the flow of the music and dance a little bit more normally. They all smiled, proudly.

“Hey, great party, Pinkie!” Sunset Shimmer said.

“Only the best for my friends!” Pinkie Pie beamed. “By the way…”

Pinkie Pie then began to do an Egyptian style dance.

“Walk like an Egyptian!” she cried, happily as she continued to do the funny little dance all around them, which both embarrassed and disturbed the girls a bit.

“If anyone asks… I don’t know her.” Rarity told them.

“Same here.” Applejack nodded.

“Now, now, let’s all calm down, Pinkie’s just being her normal self.” Fluttershy urged them, gently.

“If by normal you mean random, then yes.” Rainbow Dash said, flatly.

“Hey, at least she’s more entertaining than her sister.” Sunset pointed out.

“Truer words have never been spoken.” Twilight expressed. Just then they heard a little alarm clock go off, quickly which caught everyone’s attention.

“Oh! The timer!” Fluttershy gasped.

“And you know what that means…” Rainbow Dash said, expectedly.

“Limbo time!” Pinkie Pie cheered. “And I gotta warn ya, nobody beats me at limbo.”

“I’ll take that bet!” Rainbow declared, eager to compete.

“Alright! I’ll get a pole!” Pinkie said before she zipped off, then zipped right back with a long pole in her hands. “Here it is!”

“Ok, let’s do this!” Rainbow Dash said, pumped as two other party kids each grabbed one end of the pole. “I’m up first, called it!”

Rainbow started to walk over to the pole, bent over backwards as she did so and went down as low as she could until she was on the other side of it.

“Beat that, Pinkie!” Rainbow challenged.

“Ok!” Pinkie chirped as she walked forward.

Pinkie then bent over backwards, approached the bar and then she seemed to slid right under it, as if she was on a moving floor. Everyone’s jaws dropped upon seeing that.

“How’d you do that?” Rainbow questioned, dumbfounded.

“Just comes naturally.” Pinkie Pie replied with a wide grin.

“My turn.” Sunset said.

“Good luck!” Rainbow smiled.

Sunset then stepped forward and slowly began to bend over backwards as she approached the pole and prepared to go under it but after bending a little lower they all heard a crack, which made them all wince.

“Was that my back?” Sunset Shimmer asked, stunned.

“Unfortunately…” Rarity grimaced, before Sunset collapsed. Fluttershy and Pinkie helped her up.

“Are you ok?” Fluttershy questioned, concerned.

“Yeah… just sore… don’t think I’ll be able to bend over for a while…” Sunset Shimmer groaned.

“Ok… moving on! Fluttershy, you’re up!” Rainbow Dash told her.

“Uh… ok.” Fluttershy said as she stepped forward.

“Be careful, darling.” Rarity advised her.

“Yeah, we don’t want anyone getting hurt again.” Applejack agreed.

“Come on! What are the chances of that?” Rainbow questioned, confidently.

Fluttershy stood in front of the pole, bends over backwards and begins to skirt herself under it slowly, when she finally went under it and stood back up she accidently tripped and screamed as she landed right on top of Rainbow. Everybody winced at this.

“Ooh… what was that crunching noise?” Fluttershy asked, dazed.

Rainbow then raised her head looking sore. “My spine…”

“Welcome to my world…” Sunset commented.

“Oh! Sorry Rainbow Dash!” Fluttershy said as she helped her up.

“That’s ok, guess I should have gotten out of the way…” Rainbow Dash muttered.

“Yes, you should have.” Twilight agreed.

“Don’t help.” Rainbow Dash grumbled, annoyed.

The timer then went off for a second time.

“Ooh, goodness! It’s time for our song!” Fluttershy realized.

“Come on, Rainboom’s! Let’s rock and roll!” Rainbow said, pumped.

“Yeah!” They all cheered before they raced over to the impromptu stage set up before the crowd and grabbed their respective instruments, with Twilight taking over as lead singer. Vinyl also came up and got on her turntables as well. Sunset held her rhythm guitar fondly and smiled.

“I sure am gonna miss this…” she muttered.

“Hey!” Rainbow called out. Sunset turned to her. “You ready?”

Sunset nodded and stepped forward.” Ready!” she said, eagerly.

“One! Two! Three! Four!” Pinkie cheered, tapping her drumsticks together before they started to play a song similar ‘ Friends Never Say Goodbye’.

When they finished they got a loud cheer from the crowd that nearly hurt their ears as they waved to their fans.


After the show and the party, the girls all laid down in the grass near the portal and gazed up toward the stars with thoughtful looks on their faces.

“Now that was fun!” Rainbow Dash expressed.

“Eeyup, sure was.” Applejack agreed.

“And now we can just lay back and relax.” Rarity sighed.

“Sounds good…” Pinkie breathed

“Oh yeah.” Sunset nodded.

Fluttershy sighed. “The stars sure are beautiful tonight, aren’t they?”

“They sure are.” Sunset agreed. “Never really got a chance to admire them since I came to this world, figured they were just like Equestria’s… and while they are… it’s still beautiful.”

“Indeed, and if you look closely you can see Orion’s belt from here.” Twilight said, pointing up above them. “See? Just there.”

“Oh yeah! Good eye, Twilight!” Sunset complimented.

“Well, it was mostly a matter of calculating where exactly…” Twilight began.

“Twilight.” Sunset cut in. She smiled. “Just say ‘thanks’.”

“Oh… thanks.” Twilight smiled back. Sunset smiled back, proudly. Then she noticed Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo running by.

“Hi, Sunset Shimmer!” They cried.

“Hi, girls!” Sunset waved to the Human Crusaders.

“Keep on rocking it, ok?” Scootaloo told her

“I will!” Sunset Shimmer assured them as they continued to run off.

“Boy, you’ve sure come a long way since you first came here.” Applejack remarked impressed. “You along with everybody else.”

“Got that right… hard to believe I was ever that mean, huh?” Sunset said.

“It sure is!” Pinkie agreed.

“I’m telling you, if I could go back in time and talk to the old me, I’d tell her exactly why she’s in wrong… and then hit her.” Sunset added. Fluttershy gasped at this. “Just once though…”

“Oh, ok…” Fluttershy breathed, relieved.

“And I’m sure most of you wanted to back then, huh?” Sunset remarked. They’re eyes all darted left and right nervously as they tried to come up with a pleasing answer, but Pinkie, as always, just said it bluntly.

“Yep!” she said, cheerfully.

“Though because of a few misunderstandings we couldn’t do anything about what you were doing, until Princess Twilight made us see how stupid we were acting.” Rainbow said.

“Yes, we should have known that each of us didn’t say those things to each other.” Rarity expressed.

“If only we had just talked to each other about it…” Fluttershy said, feeling guilty.

“By the way, how’d you manage to make it look like Fluttershy sent Pinkie the text? How’d you get her phone?” Applejack inquired, confused.

“Yes, that been puzzling me too.” The other Twilight noted.

“Well… hundred dollar phone… ten dollar lock…” Sunset Shimmer replied, smiling sheepishly.

“Oh…” Applejack said, understandingly.

“And what about those emails?” Pinkie Pie added.

“Yeah… you see the thing is… the sleepover at your house wasn’t exactly my first trip over there… I kinda broke in one time when no one was home and sent emails to Rarity via your laptop…” Sunset Shimmer admitted, feeling guilty. Pinkie gasped. “Plus… I read your letter to Santa Claus.”

Pinkie looked a bit hurt. “That’s personal…”

“Sorry…” Sunset apologized.

Pinkie’s face then brightened up. “It’s ok, we’re besties now!”

“Thanks… I don’t know what I was thinking breaking you guys up like that… or stealing Princess Twilight’s crown…” Sunset Shimmer sighed.

“How did you know about the crown anyway?” Rarity inquired. “You were stuck here for thirty moons, correct?”

“Yeah… but the moment the portal opened up I snuck in and heard all about Princess Twilight and her crown, then I snuck back here before anybody could notice me. Then when it was nighttime… I stole it…” Sunset Shimmer admitted, shamefully. “I’m not proud of it… but it happened.”

“Thank goodness that I found it first, huh?” Fluttershy remarked.

“It sure was, if you hadn’t grabbed it before I did, I don’t know what would have happened…” Sunset expressed.

“You would have taken over Equestria with your teenage zombie army?” Pinkie Pie guessed, squeeing.

“Yeah… pretty much…” Sunset sighed.

“Well, good thing Twilight came along and stopped you… no offence.” Rainbow Dash said, apologetically.

“None taken, I’m actually happy she did.” Sunset Shimmer said. “Best thing that ever happened to me was getting blasted by that rainbow you fired.”

“Now that’s something I thought I’d never hear.” Applejack marveled.

“And something I never thought I’d say out loud either, I know.” Sunset Shimmer agreed.

“Everything is relative.” Twilight shrugged.

Sunset nodded in agreement and then checked her watch.

“It’s getting late…” Sunset Shimmer observed before sighing and getting up. “I’d better go.”

Fluttershy lowered her head, sadly. “Yeah… you don’t want to keep Princess Twilight waiting,” she muttered.

“Yeah…” Sunset nodded, as she picked up her bag and walked closer to the portal. Applejack and the others stood up also.

“So… I guess this is goodbye then.” Applejack said, sadly.

Sunset turned around and shook her head. “No, it’s never goodbye,” she said, smiling sadly. “It’s just goodbye till next time…”

“Yeah, it is.” Applejack agreed, also with a sad smile.

“Thanks for being my friend, Applejack.” Sunset said, sincerely. “And teaching me the importance of honesty.”

“Don’t worry about it, sugarcube.” Applejack assured her as they shook hands. “Good luck, Sunset. I hope ya find what you’re looking for in Equestria.”

“Yeah, me too.” Sunset admitted, as Applejack then walked off while Pinkie Pie stepped forward.

“Hey, don’t forget to have lots of fun with the other us’!” Pinkie told her.

“Don’t worry I will.” Sunset assured her. “And thanks again for the party.”

“Aw, it was nothing! I just hope the other me throws just as good a parties as I do!” Pinkie said.

“I’m sure she does.” Sunset nodded. “Though yours will always be the best in my eyes.”

Pinkie then became teary eyed. “I’m gonna miss you a lot Sunset Shimmer…” she said.

“I’m gonna miss you too, Pinkie.” Sunset Shimmer smiled, teary eyed also. “I hope we see each other again someday.”

Pinkie then gave her a big bear hug that caused her a little bit of pain but she smiled anyway. Then as Pinkie walked away to wipe her tears, Rainbow Dash approached looking somewhat upset.

“So, this is it then, huh?” Rainbow remarked as she kicked the ground, frustrated before turning away. “You’re leaving us!”

“Rainbow, it’s not like that!” Sunset Shimmer protested.

“Yeah, I know, you got some stuff to take care of back in Equestria… you need to… figure out where you belong and junk.” Rainbow grumbled, while struggling to fight back here tears. She turned to her. “But what about us? We need you to, you know! Your part of our band, you’re our friend for crying out loud!”

A tear fell down Sunset’s face. “I know… and your my friend too… but I need to take this journey, Rainbow Dash. In order to fully redeem myself, once I’ve done what I’ve done… I just might come back here.”

“And… if you decide to stay in Equestria?” Rainbow questioned. They all looked toward Sunset with sad looks on their faces, Sunset lowered her head. This would not be easy to answer.

“Then… I might not be able to see you as much as I want, but like Twilight I can still come and visit but… it’ll be hard to tell when.” Sunset Shimmer admitted.

“I figured…” Rainbow Dash muttered.

Sunset put a hand on her shoulder. “Hey, like I already told Applejack; it’s not goodbye, it’s just goodbye till next time. Till then… you take care, ok?” she asked.

“Yeah… see ya.” Rainbow said as she began to walk away.

“Rainbow…” Sunset began as she tried to go after her, but Applejack stopped her.

“Let her go, she needs time to deal.” Applejack said, before suddenly Rainbow suddenly stopped.

“By the way… I really am gonna miss you Sunset… this is… if you decide not to come back anyway.” Rainbow said, turning towards her and looking somewhat depressed. “Just… call us if there’s any trouble… and don’t forget about us, got that?”

Sunset smiled and put a hand on her shoulder. “I’ll never forget, and thank you Rainbow Dash, for showing me what true loyalty really is.”

Rainbow looked somewhat comforted by her words and smiled a bit. “No problem,” she said. Human Twilight then stepped forward.

“I… wanted to thank you again… for saving me that day and… teaching me what means to be a friend,” she said, sincerely.

“No problem, the important thing is that you’ve turned yourself around and found where you belong, now it’s my turn.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“And to that, I wish you luck.” Twilight said as she and Sunset shook hands before hugging. Rarity and Fluttershy stepped forward next.

“Darling, Fluttershy and I have been meaning to give you something.” Rarity announced.

“Just a little something to remember us by, should you decide to stay in Equestria from now on.” Fluttershy added as she handed a little red box to her. Sunset took the box, curiously.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Well, you can open it and find out if you want.” Rainbow Dash said, smirking.

Sunset then opened the red box and gasped when she took out a necklace with a little silver heart attached to it. The others smiled.

“Girls… this is beautiful!” she expressed.

“Open it up! Open it! Open it!” Pinkie said, excitedly. Sunset did so and was even more surprised when she saw a little picture of all seven of them together, more tears began to fall.

“Placed it in their myself.” Twilight’s Human Counterpart said.

“We thought that… no matter what you choose to do, you should always have a piece of us with you at all times.” Fluttershy smiled. Sunset started crying tears of joy.

“I… I don’t know what to say except… thank you… thank you all for everything that you’ve done for me, I don’t think I could ever make it up to you…” Sunset Shimmer stated, touched.

Applejack smiled sweetly. “You already have, sugarcube,” she told her. “You became our friend.”

“Oh… group hug!” Pinkie Pie cried as she pulled everyone together for a tight embrace, which they all happily returned.

As they hugged Sunset suddenly felt a certain presence nearby, and she was right, the hooded figure was still watching them close by. She turned slightly but saw no one there, but she still felt uneasy and judging by the look on her face, this was not a new feeling.

“Say… did you ever get the feeling you were being watched or something?” Sunset Shimmer asked, glancing around nervously.

“What do you mean?” Applejack inquired.

“I don’t know… it just feels like I’m being watched by somebody… somebody stalking me… I’ve had this feeling for over a week now…” Sunset confessed.

“Oh, how creepy…” Rarity expressed, with a slight shiver.

“It’s probably just the jitters.” Rainbow shrugged.

“Yeah, I’m sure it’ll go away once you get back to Equestria.” Fluttershy assured her.

“Yeah, probably…” Sunset Shimmer mused. “Speaking of which…”

Sunset then turned to the portal again and began to walk toward it, but before she stepped through it, she turned again and saw the sad looks of all her friends. She smiled at them.

“Bye you guys…” she waved, sadly.

“Bye Sunset…” They all waved back with sad expressions.

“Have a safe trip!” Pinkie said.

“Take care of yourself!” Rarity told her.

“It’s been fun!” Applejack smiled.

“Yeah, real fun.” Rainbow agreed.

“Farewell…” Fluttershy breathed.

“Until we meet again…” Twilight added, with a tear in her eye. Sunset nodded then turned to the portal, activated the hidden panel with the special scanner the two Twilight’s made and pressed her hand against it. The portal then opened with that and she slowly walked through it and vanished.

“She’s gone…” Fluttershy muttered. Everyone lowered their heads, depressed.

“Well, Sunset Shimmer… goodbye.” Twilight declared, sadly.

Just then, a black blur, followed by a sharp gust of wind blew right by them, most of them had to hold their skirts down until it passed. They looked around confused.

“Hey… where’d that breeze come from?” Pinkie Pie remarked, surprised.

They all shrugged, with no idea of what just happened. Though Human Twilight stared at the portal suspiciously and narrowed her eyes. Inside the portal Sunset flew down a swirling, colorful tunnel, unaware that something was following her close behind.