• Published 19th Dec 2014
  • 619 Views, 0 Comments

Agent Con Mane in Nightfeather (to be rewritten) - Fairytail



Agent Con Mane is sent by Princess Luna to investigate the Captain of the Lunar Guard, Stellar Nightfeather. In the night skies of Cloudsdale in the New Lunar Republic, Joe will have to face his inner fears to save Equestria from an eternal Nightmare

  • ...
2
 0
 619

Chapter 1: Vacation

‘WELCOME TO TWILIGHT BEACH’ read the red and white sign as it fluttered through the breeze attached to the tail of the Pegasus that flew across the purple sky. The towering construct of the Silver Spur hotel caught the plum colored light and reflected it onto the wealthy ponies below that played and lounged around the sapphire waters of the hotel pool. Oiled up, muscle bound stallions indulged themselves in the willing legs of beautiful beach mares who lived for the excitement of exhibiting their perfect swimmer bodies and captivating tan lines. Those wealthy ponies from Equestria, fattened and sunburned like a pig ready to be fed to a feast of griffons, sagged in lounge chairs and sipped overpriced hayshakes.

In the shadows of the poolside where the swim lockers and showers sat, a charcoal grey Pegasus with a mane and tail as red as flames leaned against the concrete post watching the moneyed and wealthy spend their sins away. Not that Sky Blazer had never himself took the time to enjoy the amenities of such a posh establishment. In truth, Twilight Beach was a usual haunt for him. These sorts of resorts had a sort of addictive quality to them-- a vice in their own right just like gambling and drink. Sky couldn't deny the fact that Twilight Beach was the most beautiful, and expensive, resort in the New Lunar Republic. The entire kingdom was surrounded in a magic shield that covered it’s sovereign territories with eternal night. Sky looked up at the moon, always full and shining, playing audience to the debauchery just like he was. The beach was located near the edge of the shield so that a little sliver of Celestia’s sun poked out over the horizon which gave the beach its name. Even in the permanent twilight, Sky Blazer kept on his favorite pair of designer sunglasses, and through them he looked out over the hotel pool with a sardonic smile. This was just the place he expected to find Con Mane.

He saw Con Mane, or as he learned to refer to him as, Donut Joe, across the deck in another shaded portion of the patio. He lay on his stomach while a beautiful mare with ruby red fur and blue-black mane and tail pressed her hooves into his back. A misting system connected to the awning of the cabana coated the couple with dew. As Sky drew closer, he was able to admire not only the sultry curves of the mare, but Con Mane himself. Joe was the type of pony who hated not wearing clothing of any sort so it was a rare occurrence to see him in his natural, naked state. Sky immediately took notice at how much weight Joe had lost. After spending a year doing nothing but working at a donut shop, Joe had grown fat and out of shape. But now, after his most recent escapades, Sky could see the signs of his receding waste which gave a preview of the impressive Earth Pony like physique that hid underneath the Unicorn’s flabby, beige coat.

“Ah, that feels good.” Sky heard Joe groan as he approached his bench, “A little lower, would you, Red? mmm Perfect!”

“I thought I’d find you in good hooves.” Sky chuckled. Both Joe and his date jumped at the sudden interruption and looked back at the smiling Sky Blazer. Sky took notice that the red mare was enjoying the massage just as much as Joe was, and he almost felt bad about stopping them. Still Joe didn't seem to mind as his face lit up at the sight of the old friend he hadn't seen in months. The two friends shook hooves.

“Sky Blazer, long time, no see. This is Red Velvet, my filly from Canterlot, and her hooves are magical. Red, meet Sky Blazer. Sky, say hi to Red.”

“Hi, Red.” Sky took Red Velvet’s hoof and politely gave it a kiss. Red giggled politely in turn.

“Red, say goodbye to Sky.” Red tilted her head in confusion. “Stallion talk.”

Red took the cold rejection in stride and sauntered off towards what Sky assumed to be their hotel room. She exaggerated the swivel of her hips as she gathered her things, probably as a passive aggressive affront to Joe as if to say ‘you know what you’ll be missing.’ Joe responded by whacking her flank with his short tail as she walked by. Red did little more than tut in protest and left the stallions to their talk.

“There, we’re alone now.” Joe said.

“You’re starting to slip, Joe. The old Con Mane wouldn't let the opposition get that close to him. I am still LIA you know. Officially we’re supposed to be rival agents.”

“The ‘Old Con Mane’ is gone, Sky.” Joe sighed with a defeated undertone, “I've walked away from that life over a year ago. I’m just a--”

“Just a simple baker from Canterlot. Yeah, I know. I've heard it before.” Sky peered through his dark lenses at Joe’s haunches which had become far more toned that when they last met. “Although I have to admit, for a simple baker, you sure have been getting around. Word is, since you got back from the Griffon Kingdom, you’ve been trying to track down that DISCORD Organization. You even went and roughed up Ahuizotl in the southern ruins. That’s our kingdom’s jurisdiction.”

Joe turned and gave Sky an angry look. “They made it personal, Sky. I’m going to find out who tried to kill me. Now I know you didn’t come all the way here just to talk about my business. What’s on your mind? I’m on holiday.”

“Not anymore you’re not.” Sky chuckled, “Signal from Canterlot.”

Joe sighed and contorted his entire body. He itched with frustration. “Oh, geez. I should have known MARE wouldn't have booked me into the best hotel in the New Lunar Republic just out of sheer gratitude.”

“‘Fraid not. Played you like a fiddle, I’m afraid. I got to admit, Mane6 keeps getting more creative with ways to make you do their dirty work.”

Joe ran a hoof down his muzzle. “Those dirty rotten… Alright. I’m already here so I might as well hear you out. What in blazes does Celestia want with me now?”

“Not Celestia.” Sky corrected him, “Mane6 was directly contacted by our own ruler, Princess Luna. And she asked for you specifically.”

Joe shook his head and cleaned out his ear to make sure he heard that right. “Princess Luna? Why would Princess Luna need to ask Equestria for help? She’s got her own lackeys. No offense.” That last part was just a formality on Joe’s part.

“Take a look at this picture.” Sky snapped forth a small photograph and hoofed it to Joe in a single fluid motion. The picture looked to be taken in the Lunar Castle throne room as far as Joe could tell. Princess Luna, dressed in ceremonial armor, was presenting some sort of meddle to a kneeling Pegasus, also in armor decorated with several regalements.

“Who is this Pegasus?”

“Princess Luna wants you to keep an eye on him. Name’s Stellar Nightfeather.”

Joe tutted. “Sounds like a Fancy Pants brand of hoof varnish.”

“He’s the Captain of the Lunar Guard. Chose not to undergo the Batpony transformation spell. He’s also a research philanthropist and owns one of the biggest cloud estates in the NLR.”

Joe stared at the photograph again. Things weren't adding up in his mind. “Why would Princess Luna need to spy on her own Guard Captain?”

“That’s something you’d have to ask her yourself.” Sky shrugged.

“But what about the LIA?”

“As far as we’re concerned, he’s clean. Just like Mane6 and the Royal Guard in Equestria, the Lunar Guard and the LIA operate independently. Still, the Princess chose you to watch him.”

Joe sighed.” Alright, where do I find him?”

Sky smiled and pointed to a flight of stairs that led to one of the upper decks of the resort. “Right over there.”

Strutting down the stairs with pomp and purpose was a Pegasus with a dark purple coat the color of the night sky on a bright night. His mane and tail were black and well coiffed. His naturally wavy mane was large and extravagant and danced behind him like a lion’s mane. His tail was as equally thick and full. He wore a goatee that looked well groomed and curved in a swirl beneath his chin. His eyes were a peppery silver and his Cutie Mark, oddly enough, was the NLR’s royal insignia. Joe noticed that he was quite large for a Pegasus. Much like Joe himself, this Nightfeather seemed more built like an Earth Pony. As this Nightfeather marched down the stairs he scratched the inside of his left ear with his hoof.

Sky then directed Joe’s attention to an elderly Earth Pony sitting at a small table out in the middle of the deck. The old stallion had graying white fur, an amber man and the four suits of a standard playing deck for a Cutie Mark. “Sitting over there is his pigeon waiting for him. Nightfeather’s been taking him to the cleaners for a week.”

Nightfeather approached the card table just as the ‘pigeon’ was prepping the deck and score card. “Morning, Gin Rummy!” bellowed the stallion with a deep baritone voice, “Ready for our little game?”

“Sure I’m ready!” Gin Rummy smiled a toothless grin. “A thousand bits in the hole and you’re ready for anything!”

Nightfeather looked around for a bit and smiled apologetically at Mr. Rummy. “Could I have my usual seat?

“You and your moon tan!” Gin Rummy conceded and gave up his seat to Nightfeather so that now Gin had his back to the main tower of the hotel while Nightfeather sat closer to the pool.

Sky and Joe continued to watch them from the sidelines, well out of sight. “Captain Nightfeather is a fabulous card player.” Sky complimented. Joe, however, couldn't ignore the tingle in the back of his neck.

Gin Rummy shuffled and dealt the cards. “Same stakes?” Nightfeather asked.

Rummy slammed his hoof on the table. “Let’s double it! Six bits a point!”

Nightfeather looked between his cards and his opponent in contemplation. He then curiously took out his wallet and shuffled through his coins. “Did you say six?”

“My luck’s gotta change sometime!”

“Hm, if you say so.” Nightfeather looked quite pleased with the proposition.

Sky turned his back on the card game and stretched out his wings. “I’ll fly back to Coltlumbia and tell the Princess you’re on the job.”

“Right.” Joe remained fixated on the game. “You can fill me in on the rest over donuts.”

“I’ll call you later.”
Joe didn't even noticed that Sky Blazer took off. After a while he figured the Pegasus had flown. Nightfeather triumphantly slammed a hoof of cards on the table.

“Four!”

“So soon!?” Gin Rummy stared down at the cards, flabbergasted. “How many? seven, twelve, eighteen, thirty-two.”

Joe had no idea what sort of game they were playing, but judging by the trading of bits, Nightfeather was clearly winning. Joe looked around the pool area. He needed a better vantage point but the only thing tall enough, he gathered, was the hotel tower itself. As Joe stared up at the structure, a flashing glare from near the top blinded him for just a moment. The sharp star of light blinked out quickly. Joe took note of the direction of the sliver of sunlight in the artificial twilight. The sunlight was beaming towards the hotel at just the right angle. Nightfeather once again cleaned out his left ear, and Joe decided it would be best to return to the hotel.

Joe took the elevator passed his own floor and to the upper levels where the expensive suites awaited. Joe was able to slyly coerce the room number from the rather pretty and lonely looking filly at reception and stopped just before the door of Captain Nightfeather’s suite. Joe charged his horn and meticulously maneuvered the locking mechanism with his magic. The lock clicked, and Joe let himself inside.

The Suite was very Sweet indeed. Joe was certain that it was larger, and certainly more well furbished, than most big city apartments. As he admired the simplicity and well hoof-crafted functionality of Lunar decor, Joe heard a soft voice coming from the balcony.

“He just picked up the Queen of Clubs.” The voice was soft and as demure as one would expect to come from an innocent child. But it also had a hint of spice to it; a straight to the point directness that came from a mare who know what she wanted, or at least thought she did. “That makes his hoof twenty-nine. He’s holding onto the Six of Spades so I guess he thinks you want it.”

Joe peered out the balcony and saw the owner of the voice. She was a Pegasus, just recently blossomed, he’d say. Her body was tiny, and not yet fully mature, but certainly desirable. She sat belly down and absentmindedly lifted her hind leg up and down, making the three dragonflies that adorned her flank dance. Her coat color was one that Joe had never seen before. It was certainly exotic. It was pale grey with a hint of blue; almost purple. Her main and tail were equally exotic-- a sort of opal and turquoise hybrid that still kept that pale grey overtone. The combination worked beautifully. She wore her mane straight and well combed and was decorated with a large, adorable, pink ribbon. She seemed so foal-like, that her natural beauty was almost criminal. But her voice-- innocent and naive yet endearingly sincere-- gave Joe some comfort.

On the table next to the cushion on which the mare lounged and beckoned with her foot, sat a transceiver radio. In front of her, on a stand, was a pair of binoculars through which she watched, unaware of the stallion appreciating her from behind. “That last draw was the Eight of Hearts. He needs Kings and Queens.”

Joe walked over and clicked the receiver off. The mare jumped in shock and stared up at the stranger on her balcony with wide, red eyes. They were more curious than afraid, although Joe did notice that she clung her hooves close her chest which, oddly, gave her the impression of a wild squirrel unsure whether or not to approach a hoof full of nuts.

“Who are you?” she asked.

“Name’s Mane. Con Mane.” Joe pushed passed the mare and looked through the binoculars. Through them he could clearly see Gin Rummy’s entire hoof as well as Nightfeather’s face which had grown pale white in confusion. He furiously tapped at the piece in his ear, no longer attempting to make it look like a scratch. As Joe looked through the binoculars, he could feel the mare’s body heat and breath as she moved her head closer to his to try and see through the binoculars as well. Joe became aware that he never put his shirt back on.

Gin grew impatient and demanded of Nightfeather to play his next card. With hesitation, Nightfeather picked what seemed to be a random card in his hoof and placed it uncertainly on the table. Gin danced in his chair and took the card and slapped his hoof on the table. Nightfeather scowled up straight at Joe, although Joe knew that Nightfeather couldn’t see him. Joe laughed at himself and allowed the young mare to have her own viewing of the show. She smiled in amusement.

“So what’s your name?” Joe asked.

“Flitter” she responded.

“Dragonflies?” Joe remarked, unable to take his eyes off of the cute dancing bugs

Flitter blushed and tried to cover her Mark with her long, straight tail. “I can fly with the grace and precision of a dragonfly.”

“Tell me, Flitter, why does he do it?”

She shrugged. “He likes to win.”

“And why do you do it?”

She shrugged again, more sincerely this time. She unfolded her wings and absentmindedly pretended to preen it. Her wings were certainly well groomed; they looked soft and plush. “He pays me.” Joe detected a hint of sadness in her voice, “My sister, Cloudchaser, lost her job at the Canterlot weather patrol. Doing this is all I could do to support us.”

Joe felt the need to comfort the Pegasus and so he sat on the cushion next to her and wrapped his hoof around her. He caressed her wing and he was right about their softness.

“That all he pays you for?”

Flitter looked over the balcony and down at the tiny black dots in and around the pool. “That and being seen with him.”

“Just seen?” Joe asked playfully.

“Just seen!” Flitter’s cheeks flushed with anger and looked at Joe offended, but he noticed that she was also biting her lip.

“Well that’s a relief. You are much too nice and pretty to be mixed up in this sort of thing.” Joe reached out and turned the volume dial of the radio all the way up before flicking it back on. Through the binoculars, Joe saw Nightfeather cringe at the pain in his ear. Joe then lowered the volume back down before speaking into the transceiver. “Now listen up, Nightfeather! I know you can hear me. I’m afraid your luck’s run out. I don’t think the hotel management would take too kindly to what you’re doing and you wouldn't want that on your reputation, would you, Captain? Nod your head if you agree.” Nightfeather remained frozen in shock. “Nod!” Nightfeather obeyed and bobbed his head in exaggerated nods. “Good, that’s right. Now start losing, Nightfeather! Shall we say a thousand?” Flitter smiled and laughed and edged Joe on with her young eyes. “No, let’s be generous. Let’s make it fifteen hundred.”

Nightfeather’s face twisted in anger. He flicked a card onto the table with such force that Joe was surprised it didn't snap in half. Gin Rummy leaped out of his seat like a rocket and danced around the table. He even picked up the score card and shoved it towards Nightfeather’s face to further amplify his victory. Nightfeather picked up the nearby pencil and snapped it in two in his hooves.

Joe chuckled into the radio. “Over and out.” Joe flicked the radio back off. “That should keep him busy for a while.”
Flitter suddenly clung her arms to Joe and massaged his bare chest. “I think I’m beginning to like you, Mr. Mane.” She cooed. She rested her chin on his shoulder and gazed upon him with adoring eyes. Joe could feel the backs of ears begin to sweat.

“No, call me Joe.” he told her.

Flitter placed her head against Joe’s chest, closed her eyes and breathed in deeply. “More than anypony I've met in a long time… Joe.” She whispered slowly.

Joe put his forelegs around Flitter’s tiny waist and tickled her dragonflies. “Well what in Equestria are we going to do about that?”

“Yes… What?’ Her eyes were still closed and she traced her hoof around his muscles.

“Why don’t we go for donuts?”

Flitter looked up at Joe in confusion. “Donuts? Where are we going to get donuts in a place like this?”

Joe smiled his famous charming smile. “Oh, I know the best place in town.”

Flitter melted in his smile. “And where might that be?”

“My room.”

“This is your local news at KPNY and I’m your local correspondent, Press Release. Coltlumbia: In the castle today, Princess Luna said she was entirely satisfied--”

Joe clicked off the radio above his bed where he and Flitter happily cradled each other. “Well that makes two of us.” The pair of ponies kissed each other passionately. Red Velvet was long gone, having to go back to Canterlot for her modeling job. He had all night to enjoy Flitter’s company.

The sheets of the bed were crumpled and half on the floor and were littered with the crumbs of remaining sprinkles of a homemade meal. “Oh, Joe,” Flitter purred, “those donuts were delicious.”

“Yes,” Joe whispered, his eyes locked with Fitter's “I especially loved the cream filled ones.” Joe rested his head on Flitter’s soft wings and breathed in her scent. His bliss was interrupted by the ringing phone. Joe pushed Flitter off of him, sat on his haunches and picked up the receiver. Flitter climbed against his back and nibbled his ear in a playful attempt to distract him from the conversation. “Hello? Oh, Sky! What’s that? Dinner? Oh, look, I’m sorry, I can’t. Something big's come up. Hows about breakfast?”
Flitter tried to tickle Joe’s ear with one of her wings. “Not too early.” she cooed. Joe simply placed his hoof on her face and pushed her back down flat on the bed where she silently laughed and relished in the fun she was having.

“Yes, nine o’clock would be fine. Goodnight, Sky.” Joe hung up the phone and turned his attention back to the mischievous little filly. “Now, where were we?” Flitter grabbed hold of one of her wings and played with the tip in her mouth while massaging it invitingly. “Oh, yes. The chocolate ones.”

“My favorite.”

Joe reached over to a new platter of donuts piled with piping hot donuts topped with thick melted chocolate. Flitter’s mouth salivated heavily and she licked her lips greedily. She reached out a hoof ready to devour the delicious morsels in front of her but Joe suddenly jerked the plate away, causing Flitter to fall face first into the mattress.

“Hold on a tick! We’re out of sprinkles!”

“Sprinkles?”

“Hold on I got some in the kitchen.” Joe got up and took his donuts into the hotel room kitchen, leaving Flitter on the bed. She lay on her back and hung her head upside down over the foot of the bed so that her amazingly straight hair delicately rested on the floor.

“Who needs ‘em?” she laughed.

“My dear filly!” Joe called out playfully from the kitchen, “There are some things that are simply not done! Such as indulging in freshly baked chocolate donuts without some of my gourmet sprinkles. That’s like listening to Sapphire Shores without earmuffs, amiright?”

Joe opened up his cupboard and shuffled through his myriad of baking ingredients. He saw the sprinkles buried deep in the back of the cupboard and reached his head in to grab them with his teeth. As Joe happily pulled himself out of the cupboard, a heavy blow crashed into the back of Joe’s neck.

Joe’s limbs gave way and he fell to the kitchen floor in a heap. The jar of sprinkles spilled out, littering the tile with the tiny, multi-colored candies. Joe fought against the drowsiness that permeated his brain but his muscles would not respond. The kitchen disappeared and everything grew black.

Joe admired the sea of stars that surrounded him. The orbs of light danced in the sky in every color imaginable. Joe trotted across the nothing. There was nothing beneath him but more beautiful stars. Joe didn't care how he was walking. As he trotted forward, he heard the sounds of laughter. He followed the sounds and then a city came into view. When he got closer, he realized that the skyscrapers were made out of donuts, each one twice as large as a pony, piled up on top of each other reaching high into the sky, higher than Joe could see. Joe trotted to the center of the city, licking his lips at the delicious confectionery buildings. He could still hear the laughter. He followed the sounds until he reached what must have been the city square. In the center of the square was a large fountain. But the fountain didn't spew water. No, from the spouts of the fountains poured the unmistakable amber and bubbling foam of warm apple cider. Joe approached the fountain, now desperately thirsty, and then he saw the source of the laughter. Gathered around the fountain were several mares, all laughing and talking among themselves and each one of them stunningly beautiful. Joe recognized several of the mares. There was a pink Unicorn with dolphin Cutie Marks and a blue mane. She was laughing with a beige Earth Pony with a rosy mane. Joe got near the mares, too many to count, and they all eventually took notice of him. Each one of them squealed and giggled with delight. They all stretched out their hooves and invited Joe to come and join them.

Of course, Joe galloped towards them straight away. But then the sky grew dark. Ominous purple clouds blotted out the millions of stars. The donut city shook. The baked buildings swayed back and forth and toppled over. The crumbling pieces of the donuts fell into a dark abyss below Joe’s levitating hooves. The cider fountain, and the collection of fillies, had vanished. Joe looked around in fear as the purple clouds sparked with black lightning. But the lightning did not produce any thunder. Instead there was an ominous laugh. Each second the laughter grew louder and more menacing and more maleficent. Joe tried to cover his ears but the laughter grew louder still. Joe looked up and noticed a figure looming towards him. It was a creature of indiscernible shape. It grew closer. The creature’s skin crawled and morphed. The skin was blacker than even the surrounding storm. It was an immaterial mass that billowed like smoke and yet dripped like ink. Glowing yellow eyes pierced through the black substance that made up its body. Not only that, but this creature was wearing clothes over its undulating mass. It was adorned in a three piece suit with a long, black tie. Upon its black, smokey head was an old-fashioned, black fedora hat. The creature took a smokey claw and removed the hat. Something about the simple motion of removing that hat was so sinister that Joe couldn't help but to let out a scream.

Joe awoke to the sound of his own screams. He sat up from the kitchen floor, drenched in sweat. Candy sprinkles littered the tile floor. Joe’s mind was a fog. He rubbed his temples and attempted to remember what happened. He remembered meeting with Sky. And then he was watching Nightfeather. And then he was making donuts for…

“Flitter!” Joe yelled out. He hurriedly galloped back to the hotel bedroom. Laying on the bed was a mare with a purplish grey coat and turquoise mane. She looked like she fell asleep face down on the bed. Joe prayed that she was asleep. He cautiously approached the bed. A lump had formed in his throat. “Flitter?” he asked. There was no response. Joe reached out his hoof and shook the still pony, but to no avail. Joe readied his nerve and rolled Flitter face up.

What he saw made him jump back with fear and disgust. Flitter’s face was disfigured. Her expression was frozen like a statue with a look of unrivaled terror. Her mouth was wide open in a silent, never-ending scream. And her eyes were wider than coffee saucers. Her eyes. Her eyes were the most ghastly of all. The whites of her eyes were no longer white. They were a pale, luminescent blue. Her pupils were pitch black and no longer round. They were instead thin slits like on a snake or Dragon. The eyes seemed familiar to Joe.

With his heart racing, Joe picked up the phone and dialed Sky Blazer’s hotel room. It rang for what felt like forever and when Sky finally did answer, he sounded groggy and only half aware. Joe had no perception of how late at night it really was.

“Hello, Sky? It’s me!”

“Yeah? What’s up.”

“Get over her right away! The filly’s dead!”

Sky instantly jolted awake. “Velvet!?”

“No. her name was Flitter. And her eyes are blue…”