• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 626 Views, 10 Comments

Jonathon Smythe's Write-Off Compilation - Jonathon Smythe



Here lie the short stories I have written for The Writeoff Association, may they continue to be written.

  • ...
 10
 626

Fun in the Everfree - All In - Adventure

“It’s gaining on us!” Sweetie Belle exclaims, looking ahead once more.

“We know, Sweetie Belle, run faster!” Scootaloo replies, trying to lead the Crusaders away from the manticore.

The manticore roars, and the girls scream as they try and run even faster away from the beast.

“Hey girls, Ah think Ah see something!” Apple Bloom yells, “Ah think it might be too small for the manticore! Follow me!” She pulls in front of Scootaloo and leads them all into a small crevice in a cliff that’s too narrow for the manticore.

“I think… we’re safe… for now…” Scootaloo says, trying to catch her breath.

“Yeah, but… the manticore’s still waiting around out there,” Apple Bloom says, looking at the manticore, scratching at the stone crevice the girls are hiding in.

“Can’t we just wait for it to go away?” Sweetie Belle asks, “I mean, it’s bound to get tired eventually, right?”

Apple Bloom shakes her head, “It won’t work. Manticores can wait for days for a good meal, and three fillies is too good to pass up.”

“So, we’re stuck here until the manticore leaves, which could take days,” Scootaloo says.

Apple Bloom sighs, “Yeah. Ah’m sorry girls, this is all my fault,” she says, slumping down to the ground.

“For trying to get an awesome potion-brewing cutie mark? Nah, I’m not buying it,” Scootaloo says, walking over to Apple Bloom.

“Yeah, you didn't know there was going to be a manticore on the way to Zecora's! If anything, it was my fault for waking it up by stepping on that stick!” Sweetie Belle says.

“Your fault?” Scootaloo asks, “I’m the one that lead us the wrong way into the forest! It’s my fault!”

“No, it’s my fault!”

“It’s my fault!”

“My fault!”

“My-”

“Girls!” Apple Bloom shouts, “Thanks. But you still don’t have an arguing cutie mark,” she smirks.

All three share a giggle.

“...So, what do we do now?” Sweetie Belle asks.

“We just… wait, Ah guess.”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...I’m bored,” Scootaloo says, “Can we make this go any faster?”

“...We could try throwing rocks at the manticore, make it go away?” Sweetie suggests.

“Nah, that’ll just make it angry,” Apple Bloom replies.

“But if we throw enough rocks, maybe it’ll think we’re not worth it,” says Scootaloo.

“Maybe-”

Suddenly, the manticore roars, before turning and running away.

“You’re safe now girls, the coast is clear. The manticore has fled in fear.”

“Zecora!?” The girls shout, before running to the entrance of the crevice.

“But how?” Apple Bloom asked, “And what’s that stink?” she said, covering her nose with a hoof.

“The answer to both is one and the same: A dragon’s sweat is the smell you should blame,” Zecora says, “Now quickly, this way, before it comes back: Once it finds out the truth, it will surely attack.”

The three fillies nod, following Zecora back to her hut. Once they arrive, everyone breathes a sigh of relief. “Thank goodness that you all are fine. Now tell me, have you lost your minds? You wander into Everfree, and think that it will leave you be? Just what could have possessed you so, that you would try this on your own?”

The trio share a glance between each other.

“Well, Ah wanted to ask you about gettin’ a potion-brewing cutie mark, but-” Apple Bloom starts.

“Then there was a manticore blocking the path. So I was leading us around it-” Scootaloo continues.

“But I stepped on a stick and woke it up, so it started chasing us, and-” Sweetie Belle interjects.

“I started leading us away, but I didn't know where I was going, so I just kept running-” Scootaloo interrupts.

“And then Ah saw a hole in a cliff, we went in, and then you found us. How did ya find us, anyway?” Apple Bloom concludes, tilting her head slightly.

Zecora looks between the three fillies, sighs, then says, “At first I heard a mighty roar, that could only be from a manticore. Then I heard you fillies scream, and that definitely startled me. I went and fetched some dragon sweat, a scent the manticore doesn’t forget. Broken branches made an easy track: That manticore does not hold back. The dragon sweat gave it a scare: It probably went back to its lair. Now come on, let me get you home: I’m sure your sisters won’t like where you have roamed.”

At that, all color drains from the trio’s faces. “We are so doomed,” they complain.

Comments ( 2 )

Nice. You know the next day the CMC showed up at the library with zombie masks and a flask for collecting dragon sweat.

5500525 Heh. They probably did. If they managed to not be grounded... Ah, that's just a few days to wait.

Login or register to comment