• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 622 Views, 10 Comments

Jonathon Smythe's Write-Off Compilation - Jonathon Smythe



Here lie the short stories I have written for The Writeoff Association, may they continue to be written.

  • ...
 10
 622

Story Time - Just Over the Horizon - Adventure

Back in the old days, not too long after Equestria was formed and ponies started to live together in harmony, there was an Earth pony named Big Apple. Big Apple was the tallest, the strongest-

Stronger than Big Mac, Granny?

Oh, yes, even stronger than him, little Apple Bloom. He was the strongest stallion in his whole town, even in all of Equestria! There was no threat that he couldn’t conquer.

But then one day, the town saw smoke coming from a nearby forest. They asked the pegasi stationed at a nearby guard tower if they knew what was happening, and do you know what they said? They said there was a dragon!

So Big Apple, always wanting to protect his town, set off into the forest to confront the dragon.

Alone!?

Well, he may have been strong, but nopony ever said he made smart decisions. So Big Apple is walking through the forest, and it’s getting smokier and smokier. Eventually he reaches the dragon, but by this point, the smoke is so thick that he can hardly breathe! So he walks up to the dragon, clears his throat, and yells-

“Ah challenge you to a hoof-wrestling competition!”

Ah! Big Mac, you scared me!

Hehe. Sorry, Apple Bloom. Couldn’t resist.

Heh, are you two finished? Alright then.

The dragon couldn’t hear Big Apple because it was asleep. So he tried again. And again. After a good while of him yelling at the dragon, Big Apple started coughing again. The smoke was getting too thick. Luckily for him, it seemed that the dragon was starting to wake up!

The dragon opened its eye, looked at Big Apple, and raised its claw towards him… and rested his elbow on the ground, with the soft part of the claw facing Big Apple. The dragon had accepted the challenge!

So Big Apple walked towards the claw, put one hoof up against it, and pushed. Nothing. He put his second front hoof against it, and pushed. Still nothing. A running leap. Nothing. As he was trying to pull the claw to the ground by grabbing hold and hoping gravity would do the work for him, the dragon got up, flapped its wings and flew up and out of the forest.

Well, Big Apple just held on for dear life at that point, and hoped that the dragon would keep him safe. He kept his eyes open, so that he could make sure he could find his way home, but that didn’t seem to matter when the dragon landed just outside the village.

The dragon shook Big Apple off of his claw and said, “That was the most fun I’ve had in the last ten years. That was the only reason I didn’t eat you after you woke me up. But now I’m curious, why would you challenge a dragon to a hoof-wrestling match?”

Big Apple stood up, dusted himself off, and said, “I thought it would be fun.”

The dragon stared at Big Apple. Big Apple stared back. The dragon laughed. Big Apple smiled.

“Indeed it was, pony. Indeed it was.”

“But now that you’re here, why were you in that forest?”

The dragon shrugged, “I couldn’t find a nice mountain.”

Big Apple blinked. “You know there’s a giant mountain just over that horizon, right? It’s even called Dragon Spiral mountain,” he said, pointing towards the other end of the town.

The dragon stared at Big Apple. The ‘slap’ from the dragon’s claw hitting its face was heard on the other side of the town. Without another word, the dragon slowly flew up, and lethargically made its way towards the mountain in question.

“Nice guy,” said Big Apple, walking back towards the town.

---

Granny Smith sat there with a smile on her face, while a confused Apple Bloom looked at her.

“Is… that it?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Huh? Oh, right, there was something about, uh, don’t wake a sleeping dragon, persevere, because the thing you want might be right around the corner, something like that. Now go on, filly, you’re gonna be late for school again! And don’t forget your lunch!” Granny shouted to Apple Bloom as she raced out of the front door.

“Heh, that got her to stop worrying about her cutie mark. Works every time,” Granny said to herself as she settled down for a nap.