• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 626 Views, 10 Comments

Jonathon Smythe's Write-Off Compilation - Jonathon Smythe



Here lie the short stories I have written for The Writeoff Association, may they continue to be written.

  • ...
 10
 626

Watching the Same Sunset - Long Way Home - Sad

“Look, I said I was sorry, alright? I already changed it back to a mouse anyway, what’s the problem?” I’m the student of the Princess, it’s not like they didn’t expect me to try dangerous spells, right?

“The problem!? There is more than one problem here, Miss Shimmer! You stole a child’s mouse, transmuted it into an orange, and when you tried to change it back, its coat was still orange! This is not a problem, this is a disaster! And this isn’t the first time something like this has happened, either!”

“Alright, I get it, I’ll get the spell right next time. Just give me my punishment-”

“Next time!?” Ohhh, he is maaad! “And what makes you think there will even be a next time, Miss Shimmer?”

“I don’t understand the question.” I mean, I’m the student of the Princess! What’s he going to do, expel me?

“Miss Shimmer, it is my duty as the principal of this school to look after the well-being of all the students who attend. And as part of my duty, that means I must get rid of things that are hazardous to the safety of my students. Miss Shimmer, you are one such thing.” Wait, what!? He can’t-

“You are expelled, Miss Shimmer. And I will be letting the Princess know that training you might not be such a good idea, either.”

“You can’t do that! You can’t just expel me! I’m the student of the Princess! I’m better than you! I’m better than all of-”

“Ahem.” Oh no. I know that cough. Just… just don’t turn around, everything will be fine, Princess Celestia won’t be standing right behind you-

“Sunset? I believe we need to have a word.” Ah buck.

---

“Sunset? Are you okay?” Oh no, not him. Don’t let him see me like this!

“Go away, Flash. I don’t wanna talk to you right now.” Why is he so worried about me anyway? It’s not like I’m anything important now. Not after the princess disowned me.

“But you’re crying. I don’t like it when you cry.”

“Not crying. My face is just wet. It does that sometimes.” Wow. That… That was terrible.

“Sure it does, Sunny. Sure it does.” Not the time, Flash...

“Why aren’t you going away yet?”

“Because you’re sad. Ponies need friends when they’re sad.” Friends? What kind of- “Also, ice cream.” Never mind. He’s a friend.

“Chocolate?”

“With the raspberry swirl.” Oh, he’s good.

“Fine, you can stay. As long as you give me the ice cream.”

“Not until you tell me what’s wrong.” ...Too good.

“You know what’s wrong. The whole school knows what’s wrong! I just… I didn’t think it would actually happen. I didn’t think she could go through with it! I’ve been her student almost my whole life! I don’t know… I don’t know what to do now.” Oh great, now my face is getting wet again. I hate it when it does that.

“Well, you could… come and stay with me? J-just until you get back on your hooves, of course.” Did he just… ask me to live with him? Wow, I… Um. Right. Response.

“I-I’ll think about it. The Princess is letting me stay here for another week so that I can find somewhere, but… I’ll let you know tomorrow. O-okay?”

“Y-yeah. Sounds good.” Wait, is he leaving?

“Wait!” Wait, what? Why did I…

“Yeah? What is it, Sunset?” Oh well, roll with it.

“Would you mind… staying here, for a little while?” Don’t sound too pathetic, don’t sound too pathetic…

“Sure, Sunny. Whatever you need.” Oh thank goodness…

---

Ohh, my head… I knew I shouldn’t have had all of that ice cream.

“Are you alright?” …I don’t recognise that voice. I don’t recognise this place. My magic isn’t working with this headache.

“Where am I? Who are- What are you!?”

“My name is Luna. I’m the Vice Principal at Canterlot High, where you currently are. The infirmary, to be precise. And I am a human. That must have been a nasty tumble. Perhaps you should have a rest?”

“A human? What in Equestria is a human? And why do you think I-” ...Why do I have arms. And fingers. And everything else.

“I do not know where this ‘Equestria’ is, but I think you must be far away from home. We can help you find a way home tomorrow.” We? Who could that be… Gah! Headache hurts! I guess I’ll just sleep for now...