• Published 17th Dec 2014
  • 1,238 Views, 26 Comments

Subject 64-B - Necrogen Lord



I've lived my life in constant fear. All I know is darkness. I want help. Why won't they look at me? Why can't I breathe? Why can't I speak? Why can't I stay?

  • ...
7
 26
 1,238

The Book

Twilight sorted through the piles of tomes and spellbooks from the Star Swirl the Bearded archives, cataloging everything she came across by date, color, content, and alphabetical as well. After looking back at the pile she had left, she drew a satisfied smile when she saw that it had shrunk considerably. With the last few in her grasp cataloged, she focused her attention to the next few, but paused when she saw one in particular near the top. While the others were well-kept, being only lightly dusty, this one looked as though it were practically infused with the dust at the cover. She wiped it off with her magic and upon the dull black surface, saw a strange symbol, resembling a circular Spirograph, while in the center, a single shape that resembled a flame rested.

"Wait a minute," she said to nopony in particular, "where have I seen this before?"

The Princess thought back to every book she had seen up to now, but couldn't recall what had matched the book she had found. Until she realized, she didn't see it on a book first.

"That box," she remembered.

The box that had been moved into her castle had the same symbol on the front, in glowing blue, no less. Whatever was in there was connected to the book. With that, she decided that the rest could wait until her curiosity had been sated. Twilight opened the book to the first few pages, and began to read.

Entry: 0
Date:

My brother gave me this book to write our endeavors in through our lives.
Only now can I see use for it.
We're about to go to war with each other.
Half of the Royal Guard left to join Princess Luna Nightmare Moon's army.
Why?
Why must we endure this age?
Why must we be the ones to witness such tragedy?
To think that something this powerful could happen in our time.
I fear what future entries I may write in here.

Twilight turned to the next page, but found that a majority of them were worn out from time.

"Why did it all fade? Hmm... maybe, there's another copy in the box?"

With a sense of slight urgency, Twilight went to find the box that held the same marking as the book.

\\\\\\//////

Entry: 11
Date: 2-17- Celestial Era, Year 1

To think that the Generals would have been able to cause so much panic as they did upon their return.
None of us could have prepared for it.
They came into the walls of the city and dragged themselves along a bloodied path, scaring everypony in sight.
Only a few hundred made it back.
After the Council meeting, we learned that they tried to take back one of our former outposts.
Apparently, both sides were waiting for them.
Some of the soldiers coming back have missing limbs.
A few said that the dead were lucky.
I'm still debating that myself.
We're outnumbered, under invasion, and have no Princess to guard us.
I think now I see what the tribalists were worrying about.
We've weakened ourselves upon our reliance with Their Majesties.
They're all afraid.
She's afraid, too.
I've got to do something.

\\\\\\//////

Entry: 12
Date: 2-18- Celestial Era, Year 1

We've started discussing terms of surrender.
The Generals, naturally, are enraged.
The rest of Equestria is cowering in fear.
Those who live here are still confused about the absence of both of their iconic rulers.
What are we to do?
Why do I bother writing in this anymore?

\\\\\\//////

Writing.

Physical.

Language.

Sight.

Understanding.

Pain.

So many painful memories.

Flashes of something different.

Something not natural to here.

Screaming.

Red.

White.

Red.

Black.

Red.

Red.

Red.

Pain.

Screams.

...

What...

What was that?

Everywhere.

Everywhere in here.

The part...

The...

... right...

The... right... side...

... tw...

... tw-i-t-ch-ed...

What...

Disturbances.

Movement.

Feeling.

Senses.

Touch.

Face.

Eye.

What do these words mean?

How am I asking questions?

Why hasn't it stopped?

Can't...

Think...

Organize...

Organ...

Beating...

... red...

... think...

... screaming...

... think...

\\\\\\//////

Entry: 13
Date: 2-19- Celestial Era, Year 1

I went to help Juniper with some of the herbs, seeing as how we'll need every single one we can for the soldiers.
She said that it we don't keep a close eye on them, we'll run out of seeds before we can plant a new crop.
I don't know why they can't save the seeds, but then again, I'm not an expert on flora.
I think I saw her blush, though.
So at least there's one not-horrible thing going on right now.
I think everypony needs something like this.
Something to hang on to.

\\\\\\//////

Twilight looked through the massive emptiness of her castle's new archives, empty and massive while not having a single speck of dust anywhere she looked. The illumination from her horn being the only source of light made it look more ominous, however, while she searched for where Stamp had left the large box.

As she searched, she could only guess as to what may lie in the storage. Could it be some ancient artifact that Star Swirl himself had chosen to lock away? Could it be a simple collection of books having to do with the journal she had tried to read? Or is it something simple, like objects from childhood memory? The only way she would know is if she found-

\\\\\\//////

What!?

What was that!?

What's out there!?

Emotions.

Panic.

Worry.

Fear.

Why!?

What's happening here!?

Urgency.

Light.

Seeing.

Senses.

Emotion.

Fear.

Why!?

What is fear!?

What's going on!?

\\\\\\//////

As Twilight shook her head from the impact, she could have sworn that she could hear the thumping of her heart in her head. However, as her daze began to wear off, she stopped and listened. There was a heartbeat. It wasn't hers, though. She looked around to try and find the source, and widened her eyes as the source began clear.

The box was beating like a heart, while the symbols began to glow a brighter blue. Twilight started to back away from the cube of wood, hearing the container clatter and moan as the heartbeat began to race even faster, much like her own. The symbols burned brilliantly in a single flash, and dimmed out before the box began to fall apart.