• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 19,607 Views, 1,496 Comments

Tears of a Foal - Rocinante



In the winter snow, a lost foal cries.

  • ...
42
 1,496
 19,607

Laughter

Author's Note:

You can consider this chapter canon to the rest of the story, or not. I wrote it because I wanted to. It has no real barring on the rest of the story.

- - Hearth's Warming Eve - -

Laughter echoed from above as Fluttershy climbed the steps to the princess' home. The guards below had told her she was the last guest to arrive. She felt bad for being late, but a wounded squirrel had been more important. The little squirrel was now warm and safe at the vet’s, so she could enjoy the party with an easy conscience.

Halfway up, she was surprised to meet Twilight and Rarity heading down the stairs towards her. They were both dressed for the Hearth’s Warming Eve with bright wreaths around their necks and silly sleeping caps on their heads.

“Are you leaving?” Fluttershy asked.

“Only for a moment dear,” Rarity answered, pressing necks with her.

Twilight smiled, and with her magic placed her wreath over Fluttershy. “We’re going to go visit my parent’s house for a bit, but we’ll be back.”

Wishing them well, Fluttershy continued up the stairs. Sliding through the open door at the top, the smell of warm cider and roasting nuts filled the air; stirring her appetite. Wiping her hooves, Fluttershy then peered into the main room.

A minotaur startled her for the briefest moment. He was running around on all fours with a foal on his back, while Pinkie, Spike and some other foals laughed and watched. Only Spike and Pinkie were familiar to her, though she guessed the one atop the minotaur to be Clover.

She would have been frightened by the rambunctious strangers, but they were all laughing so hard, she couldn’t bring herself to be scared. Instead, she just stared at them and joined the contagious laughter.

“My dear Fluttershy,” Luna said from nearby. Her words were thick with an accent she couldn’t quite place. Stepping closer, Luna wrapped her forelegs around her in a hug. Luna’s breath. carried the faint smell of alcohol and cloves. “The others are in the kitchen. Go ‘ave a bit of food. I’ll have more cider warmed in just a bit.” Releasing her from the embrace, Luna pranced over to the fireplace to tend the mulling cider.

Nodding dumbly, Fluttershy walked towards the voices bubbling from out of the kitchen, but she paused just outside the doorway. On one side, there was a sprig of mistletoe tied to the top with a bit of red ribbon. Stepping to the other side, Fluttershy took care that she didn’t pass under it.

In the kitchen, she found the rest of her friends, and two ponies she didn’t know, gathered around the table; not so much eating, as talking and occasionally nibbling at something from the banquet before them.

Merry Hearth smiled and rose as she came in the room. “Fluttershy! Let me get you a plate.”

Celestia’s magic pushed the earth pony back into her seat before she could take a step. “Merry, please, you’re off tonight. I’ll get it.”

“You know I enjoy feeding ponies, right. It’s my mark,” Merry said in a mock gruff, before taking a bite of cheese and fruit.

Luna laughed as she entered the room, a dozen copper mugs in the magic. “Let my sister play ‘ostess for tonight, she does enjoy it too.”

A cup of hot cider was pressed into her hoof by Luna, just as a plate was put on the table for her by Celestia. “Thank you,” she said, scooting up to the table. Taking a drink of the hot cider, Fluttershy coughed, but managed to swallow the drink anyway.

“Careful Sugar.” Applejack took a measured sip of her own drink. “Luna’s spiked the cider.”

Luna answered the accusation with a wide grin. “That I did.”

Dash looked into her cup, but didn’t drink. “Yeah, it’s pretty strong.”

“They’re really good too...” an earth pony said. Reaching out with both hooves, he picked it up, and took a long sip.

The mare beside him rolled her eyes before extending a hoof to Fluttershy. “I’m Lily, and this is my husband Green Bean.”

Fluttershy took the offered hoof. “Nice to meet you, I’m Fluttershy.”

The sound of hoofsteps drew Fluttershy’s attention back to the door. Looking up she found the minotaur standing just the other side of the doorway. The colt she assumed to be Clover was perched on his shoulders, holding his horns with his forelegs. Both colt and minotaur had an air of play about them.

“And this is my friend Otto, and my nephew Clover,” Luna said.

“Hello,” Otto greeted with a wave and a grin.

As Otto passed through the doorway, Fluttershy watched Clover spot the Mistletoe, and with his magic, pull the sprig down. She wasn’t sure why he had done that, but then she had to repress a laugh as Clover then tied it to one of Otto’s horns.

“Can I get some more of that cinnamon bread Pinkie brought?” Otto asked, seemingly oblivious to what Clover had done.

“Down please,” Clover said, tapping on Otto’s shoulder.

“Careful,” Otto warned, taking a knee to let Clover hop to the floor.

A devil’s grin sprang up on Luna’s muzzle. No sooner had Clover's hooves hit the floor, than Luna's muzzle met Otto's.

The minotaur's eyes went wide, but he didn't pull away.

A stunned silence took the room for the duration of the brief kiss. A snicker from Celestia was the first sound followed by Rainbow Dash.

“Go Luna!”