• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 19,596 Views, 1,496 Comments

Tears of a Foal - Rocinante



In the winter snow, a lost foal cries.

  • ...
42
 1,496
 19,596

A New Friend

- - - ch 11 day 3 part 4 - - -

Celestia stared down at the pillow by the fire. Spike and Clover were sound asleep, cuddled up together under a little blanket. It was enough to cause cavities.

“I thought I heard you come in through the balcony,” Twilight said, walking into the room from the study.

Careful not to wake ether Clover or Spike, Celestia stepped closer to Twilight. “Where is everypony?” Celestia asked with a hushed voice. “How long have they been asleep?”

Twilight looked up to check the clock. “Spike, about two hours. Clover, an hour. We should probably wake them. Rarity, Merry, and Luna all went out to do some shopping together. They’ll be back soon.”

“Thank you for coming up for this,” Celestia said, pressing necks with Twilight. She looked back and gestured towards the sleeping young ones. “Clover has been skittish around new ponies. I’m surprised he laid down next to Spike.”

“Oh, he was sound asleep when I put him down. The guard took him swimming at the community center.”

Celestia frowned. She would have to move him before he woke up.

“Luna and Merry wouldn’t tell me what you needed me to do tomorrow.” A hint of fear crept into Twilight’s voice. “What’s going on?”

“I need to help somepony.”

“Who?”

Walking back to the fireplace, Celestia gently scooped Clover up in her magic. “You’ve already met him.” Giving Twilight an impish grin, Celestia walked out of the room, with the colt in tow.

“I don’t understand,” Twilight said, following Celestia into the kitchen.

“I want to adopt him.” Sitting the colt down on a stool, she petted his mane to wake him. “Luna is going to nominate me. Only you or Cadance have the authority to acknowledge my acceptance... without getting a committee of nobles involved.”

Twilight blinked. “I... you... you want me to be on your throne and acknowledge you as Clover’s mother?”

Celestia nodded, then kissed Clover on the cheek as he began to stir.

“Of course I will,” Twilight said with a smile.

Clover gave Twilight an odd look when he finally sat up. Looking around, he made signs that he was thirsty. “Water,” he grumbled in broken speech.

Twilight tilted her head in curiosity, examining Clover, as he did the same to her. Something seemed a bit off about the colt. “Is he okay?”

“I’ll explain over dinner,” Celestia answered, leading them into the kitchen. “The short story is, he was an orphan who fell through the cracks. His speech and motor skills are severely underdeveloped.”

Twilight sat and watched Celestia get Clover a cup of water. It was a bit nostalgic; she had been about that size when Celestia had taken her in under her wing. “Can he use his magic?” Twilight asked, seeing Clover drink with his hooves.

“Not well. I have been working with him the best I can, but his levitation is still in the surging phase.”

Twilight giggled. “If you’re teaching him, he’ll be fine.”

“I can only polish potential. I cannot give it.” Taking the empty glass from Clover, she floated it back to the sink. “How are your three little students going?”

“Oh... they're not really my students. I mean, I’m just tutoring them one day a week.” She was about to say more when Spike traipsed into the room.

“Why are you all in the kitchen?” he asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

Clover said something, but Twilight couldn’t make out any of the words: he sounded surprised, but not panicked. Turning about, she found him perched on the stool to run.

“Clover, this is Spike,” Celestia said, draping a wing over Clover. He shuffled closer into her, but remained poised to flee.

“Hello,” Spike said, waving at the colt. “Is he okay?”

“He will be,” Twilight answered. Walking over to Spike, she mirrored the affection Celestia was giving Clover; partly for Clover, and partly for Spike. “Clover is going to be living with Celestia from now on.”

“Hmm…” Spike scratched his chin. “So is he some super-powerful unicorn?”

“No, Spike,” Celestia said, almost laughing. “He just needs some love and care, and I want to be the one to give it to him. I’m going to adopt him.”

Spike perked up at that. Freeing himself of Twilight’s wing, he stepped forward to get a better look at Clover. “So does that make us like step brothers, or cousins, or something?" he asked Celestia. "Twilight always says you’re like a second mother to her.”

“Spike!” Twilight yelped, her muzzle turning a shade of violet.

“We’re back!” Rarity called from the other room.

“We’re in here!” Twilight answered, eager for a distraction.

Rarity trotted into the room, and gave Celestia a little bow. Huge bags were floating in her aura; several rolls of fabric, and various other things, protruded from the bags. Luna and Merry were behind her, each carrying their own bags; Luna’s being rather small, and Merry’s only slightly larger.

“I have my sewing machine set up in my usual room. I can take measurements while Merry is finishing dinner.”

“I was not expecting you to make them tonight,” Celestia said, a bit bewildered, holding Clover tight with a wing. The sudden influx of ponies had him distracted from the dragon, but he was no less on edge.

“I assumed so, but I bought them just in case, and I’m glad I did. Princess Luna told me about tomorrow, while we were out. Young Clover will need a good formal jacket.”

Celestia smiled. “Thank you very much, Rarity.” Looking down to Clover, she could see he was relying on her to give him cues on how to react to the new company. This was a role she knew well. As long as she gave the air of being comfortable, Clover would be assured there was nothing to fear.

“Okay, everypony!” Merry Hearth, said, trotting into the crowded space. “Out of the kitchen. Dinner will be on the table in forty.”

Chuckling, Celestia nudged Clover, and guided him down from his stool. “Rarity, I suppose we should leave the kitchen to Merry, and have you measure Clover.”

Spike stepped out of the way of the ponies as they filed past. He watched Twilight head back to her reading, while the rest followed Rarity. With nothing better to do, he joined the procession as Celestia and Clover passed.

The colt stayed close to Celestia, as Spike walked beside him. Clover’s scrutinizing gaze unnerved Spike, but he made a point to play it cool. Once they were in the room Rarity had set up in, Clover paused and pointed at himself. “Pony,” he said, then pointed to Spike in silence.

Spike gave him a confused look.

“He’s just now learning Equestrian,” Luna said from behind him.

“Ahh...” Spike said. Clover’s situation made a lot more sense to him now. He could imagine how hard it would be to be unable to communicate. Standing tall, he proudly pointed to himself. “Dragon.”

Clover repeated the word under his breath as Rarity ushered him over to the makeshift workspace. He obeyed her directions, though with a great deal of apprehension. Celestia’s presence seemed to be the only thing keep his anxiety from turning into fear.

Scrounging in her sewing kit, Rarity floated the measuring tape out. “Now hold still for just a moment so I-”

Clover shrieked at the tape measure as it neared his neck. Green magic flashed from his horn in sparks and bursts. Somewhere in the process of Clover taking shelter between Celestia and Spike, Rarity’s tape measure burst into flames.

Rarity frowned. “Oh my.”

Celestia’s aura covered the smoldering tape, and snuffed out the fire. “I did not see that coming. I suppose we should have gone slower.”

“I’m glad that wasn't my favorite.”

Spike gave Clover a toothy grin. “That was cool!” His offer of a fist, for a hoof bump, was met with wild eyes. The animal glare said, move wrong and get bucked in the face. “Hehe... It’s okay, no one here is going to hurt you,” Spike said, taking a slow step back, giving the colt some space.

Clover whinnied, retreating further under Celestia. She had to sit down, for fear of tripping. Letting her wings hang loose, she made herself a living cage for Clover to hide inside. Lowering her head, she let her nose rest on Clover’s head. “Shhh...”

The touch seemed to calm him as the rest of the room fell into an awkward silence.

“I’m so sorry.” Rarity whispered.

With silent grace, Luna moved next to Rarity. “‘Twas not your fault.”

A few moments later, and Celestia eased her wings back, revealing a somewhat calmer Clover. Sitting on his haunches, he was breathing in slow intentional breaths, but his eyes were still wild.

Spike moved from behind Celestia, standing where Clover could easily see him. Slowly raising an arm, he waved to get the colt’s attention.

Celestia petted Clover’s crest, as his attention snapped onto Spike. She wasn’t sure what Spike was trying, but she was willing to let him. Slowly, Spike stepped backwards towards Rarity.

“Rarity, do you have another tape?” Spike asked in a soft tone.

Rarity looked confused, but nodded. “Yes.”

“Measure me, but use your hooves.”

“But I’m more accurate with my magic,” Rarity said, reaching a hoof into her sewing basket.

“He is right,” Luna said, moving to let Clover have a better view. “Your magic can reach him from there, and he knows it. Your hooves can not.”

Spike held still with a peaceful smile, letting Rarity lay her tape on him. She measured his collar, then shoulders; writing the numbers down between each. She had thought about just faking the motions, but decided her little Spikey-Wikey deserved a little something for helping with Clover.

Picking up the tape when Rarity sat it down to write the last measurement, Spike turned to give Rarity a grin before hopping off the platform.

He rolled the measuring tape up into the palm of one claw, so that Clover could see it. The colt was still pressed against Celestia, but his expression was now of frightened curiosity. Walking forward with slow, even, steps, Spike tried his best to imitate the way Fluttershy approached scared animals. Pausing just in front of Celestia, he placed the tape measure on the ground; then took a few steps back.

Celestia could feel the adrenalin draining out of Clover as he watched Spike. When the tape was left in front of her, she nudged him forward. It was all the prompting he needed to stand back on his own hooves, and investigate what had scared him earlier. Picking up the loose end with his hoof, he watched it unroll. The numbers and divisions seemed to interest him; the last bit of fear faded away as he studied the markings. All but throwing the tape to the ground, he mumbled something to Spike, then to Rarity in a voice that sounded tired and defeated.

“It’s cool,” Spike said, again offering up his fist.

Clover tilted his head, looking at the offered fist for a second, before mirroring the pose with his hoof. Shaking his head, Clover laughed and tapped his hoof to Spike’s fist.

Luna and Celestia shared a confused look. “Spike, how do you understand him?” Luna asked.

Spike shrugged. “Bro code. Can’t explain it.” Picking up the measuring tape, he tossed it back to Rarity. “Easy with the magic, and I think you can measure him this time.”

- - -

Twilight looked up from her book. A full belly, and a warm fire threatening to put her to sleep. The cozy mood had infected the odd little family.

Merry, for her part, was content to share a pot of tea with Celestia while reading a mystery novel.

Luna had fully succumbed to a tryptophan-induced torpor, mumbling something about a nap before work, before leaning against Celestia and falling asleep.

Celestia seemed alert, though. Sipping some tea, she watched Clover and Spike by the fireplace.

Spike had conned Merry into giving him some marshmallows, and he was currently roasting them over the fire, while Clover sat next to him, nibbling on a charred marshmallow from the previous batch. The two young males seemed to have an understanding that transcended speech, instead relying on nods and smirks.

The only one in the house not gathered by the fire was Rarity. The staccato clatter of a sewing machine, echoing from a back room, told Twilight that Rarity was in a fit of passion. Twilight was sure whatever Rarity was making back there would look wonderful on Clover tomorrow.

Adoption… it was a funny thought to Twilight. Celestia was like a second mother to her. She had been about Clover’s age when Celestia first brought her into these chambers. It really didn’t seem all that long ago.

“Want a marshmallow, Twilight?” Spike asked, holding a smoldering marshmallow out towards her on its stick.

“Yes, yes I do.” Grabbing the treat with her magic, she was about to take a bite, when a golden aura stole half the treat.

“Hey…“ Twilight whined, giving Celestia a crooked smile.

“And here I thought Velvet had taught you to share.” Shaking her head in mock disapproval, she took a bit of the stolen treat. "I suppose I will have to send a letter to your mother about it.”

Twilight popped the remainder of the marshmallow in her mouth and chewed for a moment. “I’ll just steal it out of the mailbox before she gets home.”

Celestia looked at her former student with a raised eyebrow.

“Not that I ever did that.”

Spike looked back at Twilight. “Actually-”

“Nope.” Twilight interrupted, looking the dragon in the eye. “Never did that.”

“I, umm... “ Spike returned his attention to the fireplace. "I was just going to ask how long we’re staying in Canterlot.”

“You three are welcome to stay here a few days,” Celestia said.

“Rarity needs to head back tomorrow. I had cleared my schedule for a three day emergency, but I should probably go back tomorrow night. The mayor and I have a lot of work to do.”

Spike and Celestia both looked disappointed at the news.

“I was hoping to visit some of my old friends,” Spike said.

“Well,” Twilight thought for a moment. “I’m sure Mom would let you stay at the house for a few days.”

Celestia watched Spike give Twilight a hug. She had hoped to catch up a bit more, but Twilight had her responsibilities; she knew the burden well. There was never enough time.

Something warm pressed against Celestia, snapping her out of her thoughts. Clover had lain down against her, mirroring Luna on her other side. He was smiling up at her, but he had a worried look.

“I’m fine,” she said, shifting a bit to press necks with him.

Luna grumbled, as her living pillow moved. Draping her head across Celestia’s back, she reclaimed her warm sleeping place. “Guard, there seems to be a moose in my bed,” Luna said through the delirium of sleep.

Celestia’s wing shoved Luna onto the floor, letting her land with a thud. “Luna, wake up. It’s time for work.”