• Published 17th Dec 2014
  • 6,620 Views, 582 Comments

Not Every Mark is Cute - tjcullinan326



When Tirek drains Equestria of Magic it allows a certain pegasus to escape from the royal dungeon. His crime? Having a Cutie Mark deemed as dangerous.

  • ...
43
 582
 6,620

Chapter 11 (Revised)

Thus far Brawler's prediction was proving correct. It was a good day.

He explained to Applebloom that 'buck' was also a swear word and if he told her what it meant, Applejack would kill him. Applebloom's eyes had widened at the revelation, then she started giggling. Apparently Applejack was really strict about bad language, so the idea that she was technically swearing everyday of the harvest was pretty funny for Applebloom.

After they were done laughing they had gotten back to work. Two baskets beneath a tree, a kick from Applebloom, a punch from Brawler, gather up the loose apples. The two of them continued this pattern for a few hours then Applejack came and told them that it was time for breakfast.

"Ah sent Big Mac ahead of us ta tell Granny Smith," said Applejack as they trotted back toward the house.

"What're we having?" asked Brawler.

"Flapjacks, apple bread, apple cider, and a course apples," said Applejack.

Brawler rolled his eyes.

"Shoulda guessed," he said.

The three of them made small talk as they walked and eventually they reached the house. They trotted inside and into the dining room. A big table full of food was waiting for them. An light green elderly mare sat at the head of the table and she looked up when they came in.

"Oh, Ah suppose yer the new stallion mah granddaughter hired?" she asked, looking at Brawler.

"Uh, yeah. And I'm guessing you're Mrs. Smith?" he asked.

"No need fer that sonny. We're casual folk round here. Call me Granny," she said, smiling.

Before Brawler could respond, Big Mac came in from the kitchen with a bottle of syrup. He glared at Brawler as he placed it on the table and sat down.

Brawler just smirked.

"Brawler, Ah told ya not ta pick fights with mah brother," said Applejack.

"Believe me AJ, if I was looking for a fight I'd do a lot more than just smirk," said Brawler. He sat down at the table, as far away from Big Mac as he could. He wasn't scared, he just wanted to enjoy the meal. Applejack sat next to Big Mac and Applebloom sat next to Brawler, then they dug in.

Dang, this stuff's pretty good.

Brawler wasn't the biggest apple fan, but he had to admit, the Apple family knew how to cook. He was reaching for a second helping when Granny Smith interrupted him.

"So, yer a Fighter eh?" she asked. Everypony stopped eating. Brawler sat back down.

"Yeah."

"What kind?"

"If boxing was still legal I would've signed up the second I turned seventeen," said Brawler. He leaned forward. "Listen uh, Granny. I don't suppose you ever collected old newspapers did you?"

Granny Smith blinked.

"A couple, here an' there. Why'd ya ask?"

"Well the only records left of old boxing matches are old newspapers. I was wondering if you had any that talked about a boxer named Marehammad Ali."

Granny Smith sat back and tapped her chin.

"Marehammad Ali, Marehammad Ali," she sighed. "The name rings a bell, but Ah'm afraid Ah never kept a newspaper 'bout her."

Big Mac scoffed.

"An' why would ya? She weren't nothin' but a dirty boxer," he said.

Brawler growled. Applejack gulped.

"Watch your mouth, punk. Ali was one of the greatest," said Brawler.

"Yeah, at beatin' up ponies fer money. Equestria'd be better off without any Fighter if ya asked me," said Big Mac.

Brawler leapt to his hooves, but before he could lunge at Big Mac a voice interrupted him.

"MACINTOSH! You take that back this INSTANT!" yelled Granny Smith. Everypony froze.

"Gr-Granny?" stammered Big Mac.

"Besides jus' how rude yer bein' ta our guest, if it weren't fer a certain Fighter Ah doubt we'd have a roof over our heads," said Granny Smith.

Everypony's jaw dropped.

"Wh-What? Who?" asked Applejack.

"A stallion by the name a Green Machine. Or as his friends called him, Big Mac."

If Big Mac's jaw lowered any farther, it would have dislocated. Granny Smith sighed.

"Ah suppose Ah shoulda told y'all this story sooner. Sit down Brawler, Ah figure you should hear it too," she said.

Brawler sat down, his eyes never leaving Granny Smith. Everypony else was focused on her as well. Granny Smith rubbed her chin.

"Now, where the hay do Ah start?" she mused, "Well, Ah first met Green Machine at the Annual Apple Family Reunion. An' not just any reunion, this was the first one Ah hosted as the owner of Sweet Apple Acres. Ah was twenty-six an' felt nineteen. As in, Ah felt like Ah had ta put on the biggest darn blowout anypony'd ever seen. So as well as invitin' everypony in the Apple family, Ah told 'em all ta bring a few friends. Cousin Baldwin was the one who brought along Green Machine. An' lemme tell ya." Granny Smith chuckled. "Ah could see why they called 'im Big Mac. He was a few inches taller than you Macintosh, an' even more muscular if ya can believe it."

Brawler grunted and glanced at Big Macintosh. The stallion in front of him was already the biggest he'd ever seen.

Hard to imagine anypony other than an Alicorn could get any bigger.

"Green Machine was a real intimidatin' fella. What with bein' at least a head taller than everypony an' easily the strongest. He also didn't speak very much, usually jus' gruntin' unless he really had ta talk. At first we thought he was bein' antisocial but then we figured out he was jus' shy. He weren't used ta bein' around so many ponies an' it actually scared 'im a bit. Once we got 'im ta open up we saw that we was a real nice guy," said Granny Smith.

"What was his Cutie Mark?" asked Applebloom.

"Applebloom! Don' interrupt," said Applejack.

"S'alright Applejack. Ah probably shoulda mentioned it earlier anyway," said Granny Smith. "His Cutie Mark was a full set a armor. Not the decorative stuff Guards wear today. A full body set of iron armor." She scratched her head. "Ah could never figure out exactly what it meant."

All eyes turned to Brawler. He shrugged.

"If he was a Fighter it probably meant he could take quite a few hits," he said. "But what makes you so sure he was a Fighter?"

"Ah'm gettin' ta that. On the last day of the reunion a few lawyers cam in. Wearin' their fancy shmancy suits and wavin' around documents from their briefcases. Ah don' speak legal gibber-jabber so Ah could barely tell what the hay was goin' on. As far as Ah could figure, my own folks screwed somethin' up in the paperwork when they gave me the farm. An' now because a some obscure law, if Ah didn't pay fifty thousand bits, they'd kick me an' mah family out," said Granny Smith.

"Fifty thousand!" exclaimed Applejack, "How the hay did they do that?"

"Ta this day, Ah still don' know. They mighta been bluffin' fer all Ah know. But Ah didn't trust anypony in a suit, so goin' to a different lawyer ta sort it out never crossed mah mind," Granny Smith sighed. "Ah had just spent a good chunk of our money on the reunion, so Ah couldn't pay it by myself. An' even when everypony on the farm chipped in as much as they could, we were still about five thousand short." She smiled. "Then right when Ah was ready ta give up, Green Machine marches over ta the lawyers, an' says he can get the money ta them by Saturday, along with an extra two thousand five hundred. They agreed. Green Machine took a train out ta Fillydelphia Thursday, an' came back Saturday with a broken nose, a black eye, a missin' tooth, an' a sack full a bits. The lawyers took the money an' left. Everypony else wanted ta know just how the hay Green Machine had gotten the money. More than one askin' if he'd stolen it. He jus' laughed us off an' told us 'bout how he was a boxer, an' that he'd won the money fair an' square."

"Boxers got paid that much?!" asked Applebloom.

"The Champions did. Either that or he bet on himself," said Brawler.

"He wasn't a Champ, so it was probably the second," said Granny Smith. "Anyway Ah asked him what Ah could do ta repay 'im. He looked me straight in the eye, an' told me ta never forget that Fighters like him had a place in Equestria. An' ta pass that message on ta mah kids an' grandkids." She chuckled. "When Ah told mah little Melrose 'bout Green Machine she fell in love with that story. Said right then an' there that she wanted ta name one a her kids after 'im or his nickname at least. An' here we are." She gestured to Big Mac.

The big stallion opened and closed his mouth a few times, then found his voice.

"Why didn't ya tell me?" he asked.

"Ah wanted ta tell all three a you at once, an' wait until Applebloom was a little older. Didn't want her ta get confused about whether or not illegal things can be good sometimes ya know?" said Granny Smith.

"Why wait? Why not tell us one by one?" asked Applebloom.

"Ah don' know," sighed Granny Smith. "Guess Ah jus' wanted ta impress all three a you at once with this story. Seein' as Ah can't do much else these days."

"Granny, ya don' have ta do that," said Applejack, "You impress us enough as is."

"Jus' wait 'till yer mah age Applejack, then ya should understand," said Granny Smith, smiling.

Brawler coughed.

"Hate to interrupt, but did you keep a paper about him?" he asked.

"As a matter a fact Ah did. There was an article about 'im when he retired. When Ah saw it Ah knew Ah had ta keep it."

"Can I see it?"

"Sure thing. Jus' gimme a minute ta grab it," she stood from her chair and trotted out of the room. The rest of them sat in silence.

Brawler glanced at Big Mac. Big Mac glanced at him. Both pretended not to notice.

Granny Smith came back with the paper in her mouth. She sat down at the table and laid it out. At the top of the page was a black and white photo of Green Machine wearing black boxing gloves and shorts. His mane was also black and his coat was dark.

"I assume his coat was dark green?" asked Brawler, skimming through the article.

Granny Smith nodded. Brawler's gaze traveled to the bottom of the page, the scores of Green Machine's matches were listed with a very brief description of each match.

"19:23," said Brawler.

"What's that?" asked Applebloom.

"Win loss record. This guy lost more than he won," he explained.

"Wha? But-"

"Just because a pony's a Fighter doesn't automatically make them a champion," said Brawler. "Besides, it's not a bad record. And from the looks of it, he was one tough opponent."

"How do ya know?" asked Applejack.

Brawler gestured to the scores.

"He went the distance in every fight he lost."

"He what?"

"Went the distance. Boxing matches have a set number of rounds. If neither boxer was knocked out by the end the winner would be who scored the most points. Points were based on the number of punches thrown and the number that landed," explained Brawler, "Every time this guy lost it was always by points and from the looks of it, his opponent landed four or five punches for every one of his. Heh, the guy was a tank."

"Was he a good Fighter?" asked Applebloom.

"No way of knowing without actually seeing him fight. But, I think I can guess," said Brawler.

"How?" asked Granny Smith.

"Well, based on the scores he didn't land hits very often, even in the fights he won. That means he was probably a Slugger."

"A what?" asked Applebloom.

"If you oversimplify things, there are three basic types of boxers. Four if you count the all-around type. In-Fighters, like me, don't think or strategize much beyond how to get inside our opponent's guard, and how to avoid counter attacks. Once we're inside, keep punching until the opponent goes down, or escapes with a counter punch or clever dodge. Out-Fighters are the ones who need to think the most. Always strategizing about how to wear the enemy down without taking damage, or getting worn out. Since they had to do the most thinking, a lot of ponies thought Out-Fighters represented everything quote on quote 'noble' about boxing." Brawler chuckled. "Sluggers on the other hoof, represented everything brutal about the sport. Most didn't think or strategize much, if they did it at all. While an Out-Fighter wears their opponent down before delivering the final blow, every punch a Slugger throws is meant to end the fight then and there. Good punchers, but not good boxers."

Applebloom looked downcast.

"So he was jus'... the big strong tough guy with no brain?" she asked.

"I didn't say that," said Brawler. Applebloom furrowed her brow.

"But you jus' said Sluggers don't think."

"I said MOST don't think. I'm pretty sure Green Machine was one of the few that did."

"How?"

Brawler tapped a score at the bottom of the page.

"A thirty five year old geezer doesn't go the distance with a twenty year old Marehammad Ali without some serious skill," he said.

"Now since when was thirty five old?" huffed Granny Smith.

"It was a pro sport Granny, most drop out before they turn thirty. And any Martial Art is more punishing to the body than other sports because your opponent's goal is to hurt you, not get past you. A stallion holding together that well when he was thirty five is pretty damn impressive."

"But, how would he fight then?" asked Applejack.

"Well again, there's no way to be sure. But my guess is he was a Counter-Slugger."

"So, he threw a lot of counter punches?" asked Applebloom.

"Exactly. Fighting anypony that specializes in counter attacks is a fricking nightmare. Every punch you throw is a chance for them to hit you back twice as hard. A Slugger, specializing in counter attacks, is downright deadly. Imagine there being a chance of a wrecking ball slamming into you every time you attack your opponent."

Applebloom's eyes sparkled. Everypony else gulped.

"Course, he was probably a lot slower than most of his opponents so that's why he didn't land as many hits. Leading to him losing matches when he ran out of time. If he had more time he'd probably win a lot more matches."

"Ya really think so?" asked Applebloom.

Brawler shrugged.

"It's my best guess."

"Awesome! Hey Granny, can I show this to my friends?" asked Applebloom.

Granny Smith smiled and nodded.

"Sure thing, jus' bring it back."

"Yes! Can I be excused?"

"Go ahead, Ah'll clear for ya."

Applebloom pumped her fore hoof, grabbed the paper in her mouth, and ran out the door.

"Don' do anythin' dangerous now, ya hear?" Applejack called after her.

Applebloom's reply was muffled by the paper in her mouth. Brawler smiled after her, but it faded when he glanced over to Big Mac. The stallion stared back at him, expressionless, then picked up his plate and trotted to the kitchen.

"He's probably gotta lot ta think about," said Granny Smith. "Ah'll see if Ah can help 'im sort it all out."

She picked up bother her and Applebloom's plate, then followed after Big Mac.

Applejack and Brawler were silent for a bit, but not long.

"Well, that's one way ta end breakfast," said Applejack.

They both chuckled.

"An' Ah suppose ya wanna get paid now," she said.

Brawler nodded, then his eyes widened.

"Shit! I forgot my saddle bags."

"Don' worry. Since ya insisted on not bein' fully paid today yer only gettin' another fifteen bits. So Ah can fit 'em inna small bag you can carry."

"Thanks."

They brought they're plates to the kitchen, then Brawler headed for the door while Applejack headed to the living room. Brawler waited outside for about a minute, then Applejack came out and tossed him the bag.

"Thanks AJ," said Brawler, placing the bag under his wing. "Same time tomorrow?"

"Yep, an' Ah'll come by myself next time," she said.

"Teh, oh yeah. See ya."

"Later Brawler."

Brawler trotted over to the market. He bought another loaf of bread, then started back for the dojo. As soon as he could see the building properly though, he stopped. A dozen ponies were moving around the dojo. Some were construction ponies and others were delivery ponies.

Jeez, guess Rares doesn't screw around when she wants something done.

His musings were interrupted by slick sounding voice from behind him.

"Well, well, well, return of the playground cop. Beat up any ten year old bullies lately?"

Brawler grinned. He'd recognize that voice anywhere.

"Not for almost a decade. How 'bout you Garry? Scam a filly out of her lunch money today?" He turned around, and looked at his old friend. Garry was short for a griffon, just a few inches taller than the average pony. His feathers and coat were almost completely black, except for the feathers around his face which faded into a light gray. The cat part of him was panther, and the bird part was sooty owl. Brawler knew this because Garry like to brag about it, and how it set him apart from other griffons.

Not that I'd complain too much if he bragged about it today.

They walked over to each other and shook claw and hoof.

"Been way too long B-boy. I didn't even get to see you grow that beard," said Garry.

"Huh, the old coot's gone sentimental."

"Yeah." The two of them lowered their fore legs. "Wife and kids beat it into me. Now they got me telling the truth sixty percent of the time."

Brawler scoffed.

"Yeah right."

"Okay, seventy-five percent."

"Now I know you're shitting me."

"I swear on the soul of my dear departed mother, that's the truth."

Brawler narrowed his eyes, then quirked his eyebrow.

"Wow, really?"

Garry nodded solemnly.

"Huh, wow."

Garry snickered. Brawler sighed exasperatedly.

"Ha, Ha! You've gotten rusty B-boy. You can usually see through my bullshit," laughed Garry.

"Yeah well, shit happens," said Brawler.

Garry's smile faded.

"I'm sorry Brawler. They had you in solitary, only family can visit ponies in there."

"I know. Don't worry about it," he gestured over to the dojo. "Besides, things are looking up."

Garry glanced over Brawler's shoulder.

"Yeah, I was wondering about that. How the hell did you afford all that stuff?"

Brawler sighed, and looked away. Garry's eyes widened.

"Lord almighty. You accepted a favor didn't you?"

"I'm paying her back," said Brawler.

"In full?" asked Garry, smirking.

Brawler grimaced.

"Half. Plus I owe her a favor back," he grumbled.

Garry laughed.

"You kidding? After all the times I offered you free shit from my stall some random pony is able to force you into accepting a favor? Ha!"

"First off, most of your shit is just that, shit. And second, the mare in question pointed out that I couldn't exactly stop her from helping me without breaking the law again."

"Heh, clever bitch."

"She ain't a bitch. Comes off like one, but would a bitch offer to pay for all this stuff?"

"Well if she was your bitch-"

"Oh for the love of Luna don't start that shit again. I met her a two days ago and we only recently started tolerating each other."

"Alright, alright sorry. But you better hurry. You're almost out of time to act young and crazy."

"I prefer life outside a cell thank you very much. So I'll just return to my routine in a new town."

"About that," said Garry, his face turning serious, "Why'd you order three full chickens? You know everything but the breasts are full of fat right?"

"Yeah but it's not my money paying for it. And you charge extra for specific pieces."

Garry gave him a look.

"Ya know, for most everyone else that would be an excuse to spend more, not less."

"Well I'm not everyone else."

"Okay, but then why order so many? You don't usually order in bulk."

Brawler sighed.

"I've been roped into being a teacher," he said.

Garry's eyes widened.

"What?"

"Three fillies without Cutie Marks have the potential to be Fighters, and convinced me to train them."

Garry stared at Brawler slack-jawed, for what seemed like an eternity. Then he started chuckling.

"What?" asked Brawler, indignantly.

"I'm sorry. It's just, heh, I can't imagine any scenario where three kids and you hang out together to end very well."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, dickhead."

"Anytime. Oh, and you'll be pleased to hear I'm having a sale right now."

Brawler gave Garry a look.

"Oh really?" he asked.

"Yes indeed," said Garry, slipping into his salesman mode. "For a limited time if you order eight* of the same parts of a chicken it'll cost the same as a full chicken! Plus if you order three sets I'll throw in some Demon's Spit BBQ sauce, free of charge. Better hurry! Offer ends in ten seconds!"

Brawler sighed.

Well, chicken breasts are big enough to be cut in half and still be a full serving. So they'll last a lot longer. Plus, I'd realllly like some hot BBQ to go along with it.

"You give me shit about accepting another favor, and I'll switch to no." he said.

Garry smiled.

"Excellent choice, sir."

"You know how annoying that act is right?"

"Get's ponies' attention."

"You're an annoying prick."

"And you're an asshole."

"If I may interrupt?" came a voice from behind.

Brawler's eyes widened. He and Garry turned around and saw Princess Twilight, Luna, and a Lunar Royal Guard.

"Princess Luna!" Brawler dropped to his knees. Garry wasn't far behind.

"A thousand pardons Your Majesties, if we had known you were present we would not have used such foul language."

Luna chuckled.

"Rise, there is no need for apologies. The two of you were clearly enjoying each other's company."

Brawler stood up.

"Well, one can only enjoy the company of a snake oil salesman so much," he said.

"Hey, that's only HALF of my job," said Garry, standing up and dusting himself off.

"What happened to telling the truth sixty percent of the time?" asked Brawler.

"Oh now who's the annoying prick?" asked Garry.

"You two are friends?" asked Twilight.

"Sure we are. And as his friend it's my job to point out his flaws. Like how he's a dirty liar," said Brawler.

"And it's my job to tell him to grow a pair and get laid," said Garry.

Twilight's eyes widened, Luna laughed.

"Such scandalous talk in front of two of your Princesses! Have you no shame?" she was smirking.

"Oh please, you're enjoying it," said Brawler.

Luna chuckled.

"Indeed, it has been many years since a pony dared speak that way in my presence. The change of pace is quite nice."

"Sure. Now can I ask why exactly you're here? I'm pretty sure it wasn't so you could watch Garry and I swear at each other," said Brawler.

Luna's smile faded and she sighed.

"Correct. I'm here to inform you that if my sister had her way, you'd be locked away again for training three fillies to be Fighters."

"What do you mean, if she had her way?" asked Brawler.

"Well, Celestia has no control over the members of the Lunar Royal Guard," said Luna.

Brawler's eyes widened.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Princess. You want ME, to be a member of the Royal Guard? You know we don't exactly have a good history," said Brawler.

"You don't have a good history with the Solar Royal Guard. The Lunar Royal Guard has only heard stories about you," Luna chuckled again. "Or perhaps more appropriately, legends."

"Wait, WHAT!?" exclaimed Twilight and Brawler.

"I don't think I heard you properly Your Highness," said Garry, cleaning out his right ear. "I thought you said that there are now legends about B-boy."

"Well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration," said Luna, still smiling. "But you faced Tirek, head on, by yourself, with nothing but a broken shackle. If that's not the stuff of legend I don't know what is."

"He swatted me out of the sky like a bug, and would've killed me if Twilight and her friends didn't do the whole 'purification' thing," said Brawler.

"You stood against a demon with the power of almost everypony in Equestria and held your own. The entirety of the Royal Guard couldn't stand against him when he barely had half of everypony's magic," said the Lunar Guard. "Like it or not Sir, you're a legend."

Brawler looked at him, shocked.

"B-but, I'm, I'm not-"

"Regardless of what you yourself believe Brawler, there are now several members of both Solar and Lunar Guards who look up to you. Sergeant Shadow Dust here, is one of them. If you accept the position of Specialist Trainer for the Royal Guard, then you will train him, and anypony you see fit, and Celestia will not be able to touch you. I will also be able to supply you with whatever you need to train your students to their full potential," said Luna

Brawler stared at her, slack jawed, then he started chuckling.

"Ha haw, man. This is gonna piss off Sunshine so bucking much," he said.

Luna looked down and sighed, Brawler didn't notice.

"Alright, I'm in. Is there any like, ceremony I need to go through?" he asked.

"I figured you would want to skip it," said Luna, looking back up, "All you have to do is sign here." Her horn glowed and a contract and quill appeared in a flash. "Then tell me some of the supplies you need and what you believe would be an acceptable salary."

"Wait, I set my own salary?"

"I made up the position of Specialist Trainer about ten minutes ago. I'm not sure what would be appropriate, but be reasonable," said Luna.

Brawler chuckled, then grabbed the pen in his teeth and signed the contract.

"Okay, the usual salary for a boxing instructor is about forty thousand bits annually. That's, pfft, a little more than three thousand a month?"

"Three thousand three hundred thirty three a month and eight hundred thirty three weekly," chirped Twilight.

Brawler stared at her.

"Okaaay then, that. As for supplies, well, Rares kinda took care of that already," he said, gesturing to the dojo.

"I can see that," said Luna, "Is there anything else you need?"

"Well, ideally we'll be eating meat twice a day. I just got thirty chicken breasts from Garry here, but between five ponies they're only going to last five days."

"I can supply the necessary bits if Garry can supply the necessary merchandise," said Luna.

Garry rubbed his chin.

"Well, it'll be cutting close, but what kind of merchant would turn down business with Royalty?" he said.

"If you need any equipment I can supply you with that as well," said Luna. "Is there anything else?"

"Just one," said Brawler, he turned to Shadow Dust. "Are you going to be staying in town?"

Shadow Dust nodded.

"I'll find a hotel."

"Okay then," Brawler turned back toward the center of Ponyville. "Hey Pinks! New pony in town!" he shouted.

A high pitched gasp came from the center of town and a pink blur streaked toward them. Shadow Dust's eyes widened.

"Uhh..."

"Just go with it," said Brawler, smiling.

Things were certainly looking up.