• Published 7th Jan 2015
  • 1,482 Views, 67 Comments

The War for the Sun & Moon - Maxes Altho



Twenty years after The Fall, a small group of rebels tries to wrest control away from the Empire. Sound familiar? Well, it's not.

  • ...
11
 67
 1,482

Sixteen

The light slowly fades. As it fades, it reveals the seven new Bearers of Harmony still standing, and the Empress and her Queens on the ground.

“Whoa. What the heck just happened, Shining? Shining? Wow, Shining, on your head!” Shining Star reaches a hoof up to feel something upon his brow. He pulls it off to reveal a crown, similar to the Empress’s, but with a two-toned black and white gem set in it, with the black portion wrapping around the white, and vice versa.

He looks around. “I’m not the only one with new bling.” Sure enough, each of the seven inspects their new Elements. Grenda wears a golden necklace bearing a large flame-shaped ruby. Around Xenon’s neck, one of her neck rings now bears an amethyst representation of the glyph on her flank. Bard now wears two silver arm bracers with onyx hammer and wrench gems. Chryssid, Quick Writ, and Tiny each has a torc with a lapis heart, quartz book, and citrine explosion bloom gems, respectively.

The seven converse excitedly amongst themselves until the Empress begins to stir, drawing their attention. All six false ruler’s glamour has fallen, revealing their true forms: hybrid pony-changelings. Each has holey hooves, horns, and wings, fangs, and still stand taller than the average pony. There are slight differences, such as Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy’s wings being larger, and somewhat more pony like, and Rarity and Twilight’s horns being larger than the others.

The ex-Empress climbs unsteadily to her hooves, then shoots a death glare at the new Bearers. “You can’t expect to have won, right? I still have enough power to… power to… what? Why can’t I magic?” Her horn tries to light itself in preparation for a spell, but something stops it just short of actually glowing.

“I believe we can answer that.” The wall behind the throne shimmers out of existence, revealing, at long last, the objects of the Warrior’s turmoil: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, the rightful rulers of Equestria. Behind them lies two piles of shattered glass. They walk towards the throne, but stumble. Grenda and Quick quickly dart over and assist them.

“We thank you seven for freeing us from the grip of my student. Twilight, what caused all of this? Twenty years ago, you said it was because fear of my weakness ruled your heart. We both know that isn’t true.”

“I knew I could be better than you! You are weak, you are worthless, you aren’t meant to rule! I was literally born to rule this pathetic nation, and I did! Why… won’t… my horn… work?”

Luna places her horn near Twilight’s. “It is as I feared, sister. The Elements have completely drained her magic. Not just the unicorn magic either; I sense no alicorn, changeling, Pegasus, or Earth pony magic. They have become Forsaken.”

“But, they’ll get that magic back, right? Then they’ll be just as dangerous again.”

“’Tis not what it seems, young unicorn. The Elements of Harmony have completely knocked these six out of the magic field. They will never regain their power.”

Celestia moves to step down the dais, but stumbles again. Again, Grenda and Quick Writ keep her on her hooves. “Princess Celestia! What’s happened to you?”

“It is alright, young ones. Twilight kept us drained of most of our magic, leaving only enough to allow us to raise the sun and moon each day. With time, we will regain our full strength. Now, young unicorn—”

“Uh, my name is Shining Star, Your Majesty.”

“Very well. Now, young Shining Star, what has befallen our kingdom these past twenty years?”

Before he can answer, the large doors bang open, and a small flood of ponies enter the room. “General! I’ve come with—” the Colonel stops when she sees the broken unconscious forms of the General’s strike team, and openly cries out upon seeing the bloody lifeless form of the General. Her eyes dart around, searching for any possible culprit. They eventually land on Shining Star.

“You. You killed him, you traitor!”

He puts a hoof up defensively. “No, I didn’t do this! Well, I kinda did, but I wasn’t in control of my body when it happened! It was the Empress! She was controlling me, forcing me to do stuff like that!”

“Lies! The General told us you had turned against the Warriors, took to conspiring with lesser races, and what do I see here? You stand beside a changeling, griffon, Minotaur, and a zebra. You know changelings are nothing but evil, and the other three races never lifted hoof, claw, or hand to help us! Soldier Shining Star, as commanding officer of the Warriors, I hereby charge you with treason against your fellow pony. Your sentence is death.”

“And as the Princess of Equestria, I hereby overturn that ruling. These seven, who had no reason coming together in the first place, have done what no singular group of ponies could ever do: they have saved the world from my student and her corrupted friends. Lay down your arms, and let us seek peace.”

“Never! We will never accept that a lesser race could accomplish anything! You have made an enemy of the Warriors today, Princess.” The Colonel turns and runs from the room, followed by her strike force carrying the limp bodies of their comrades.

Luna looks to her sister. “Cel, do you think they will try something?”

“Not yet, Princess.” Shining Star steps forward. “If I know the Warriors, they’re gonna try and salvage as much as they can, then go into hiding. We won’t have to worry about them for at least a few months.”

“But am I right to assume that there are non-fighters within these Warriors?”

“Yeah, but I know most of them. They won’t believe that I would turn on them like that, and one of the remaining leaders is my closest friend, besides these six. In any case, we should probably get to them sooner rather than later. They can help start the rebuilding of our nation.”

Celestia nods. “I would enjoy going outside again. What about you, Luna? The last time I actually saw my sun was, what, twenty years ago?”

----------

“And so, the nine of us gathered a small group of surprisingly still loyal guards (turns out there were those still loyal to Celestia after all this time), and made for Manehattan, making it to the Warriors base just before the Colonel. With the help of Battle, and Scootaloo, who finally came out of hiding, we were able to convince most of them of the General’s deception, and gained a new force to begin the work of rebuilding. We all came back to the castle, where Celestia set the seven of us up in this sick suite of rooms. We commandeered this small study room to use for this retelling, and I guess that brings us up to now.”

Shining Star leans back in his chair.

“Wow. It’s over. I still can’t believe it’s over. All that pain, all that suffering, all to stop the Emp- I mean, Twilight. She isn’t much of anything anymore. She and the others are now in the darkest dungeon Celestia could staff. Even though they have no more magic, we don’t need them out and about, sowing possible rebellion.

“Huh. Have we just become the Old Farts? You know, the ones I talked about before this retelling, who send all their Young People to war to defend themselves, yet always fearing retribution from within? Well, hopefully we won’t be going to war again any time soon.”

The door opens, and Chryssid stand in the doorway.

“Shining, is it done?”

“Yeah, C, it’s done. You wanna give some kind of ending notes? There’s something I have to do.”

“As you wish.”

Shining steps off the chair and leaves as Chryssid takes the seat. The cameras change, following Shining Star as he trots through Canterlot Castle. Eventually, he reaches a large iron door guarded by two ponies, one in Solar guard armor, and the other in Lunar guard armor. With a nod, they open the door and let him through. The cameras now show very little light; the path Shining Star takes is sparingly lit by wall-mounted torches. He comes to a stop in front of a wall of bars.

“Hello, Mother.”

Something shifts in the darkness, and the fallen Empress is revealed. Her mane is unkempt, her legs are trembling, and all four hooves are chained to a wall, with some slack to allow a certain degree of movement.

“Why Shining, finally decided to visit your dear mom?”

“Cut the shit, Twilight. I’m not here for small talk. I need answers.”

“I’m sure Celestia, may she go blind from her own sun, can answer any question you have.”

“Not this one. This is personal.”

Twilight looks thoughtful.

“Hmm? And what would your question be?”

Shining takes a calming breath.

“Where is my father?”

~~~~~~~~~~
End of The War for the Sun & Moon
~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Boom! That's how you end a story.

I thank everyone and anyone who struggled through this with me. I hope you all enjoyed it.

Comments ( 8 )

5636472 You don't seem to understand quite a bit in this story, mainly the actiony parts

OOOOH!!! Avatar Last Airbender Zuko's Mother reference?

5636477 Eh I got the action. But the places where the perspective switches from storytelling to real story, the times where the multiple Shinings got out... it got confusing as hell. I mean I got the general idea but it was a pain to do so.

Shit man! You're bringing the father into this!?

Welp! Type 'ya in 40 days starting at 12:00a.m. Bye!

Please tell me there will be a sequel. Also, I'm totally getting that doctor who clone creature vib.

6137784 never seen the good Doctor, in any of his incarnations.

6137952 well, the vibe (this being the situation twilight and her gang) are not really them, that they are clones, while the real, good ones are trapped somewhere. That's the hope that I strive for, but it's your story. Also, don't remember if I said this but sequel?

Login or register to comment