• Published 15th Dec 2014
  • 10,016 Views, 147 Comments

Rainbow Dash's Darling Day - MythrilMoth



Rainbow Dash begins behaving oddly, which worries Rarity.

  • ...
32
 147
 10,016

Rainbow Dash's Darling Day

The bell over the door jingled, and Rainbow Dash walked into Carousel Boutique.

Rarity looked up from adjusting the hemline on a dress. "Why, good morning, Rainbow Dash!"

Rainbow Dash trotted in. "Good morning, darling! Isn't today just darling, darling?"

Rarity blinked. "Err...yes?"

"I thought we might head over to Sugar Cube Corner, darling! Wouldn't one of their darling breakfast pastries be simply darling, darling?"

Rarity tilted her head. "Rainbow Dash, why...are you talking like that?"

"Why, whatever do you mean, darling?" Rainbow Dash turned to the door, looking back over her shoulder. "Well, darling? Are you coming or not, darling?"

Rarity frowned. "Y-yes...of course..."

"Darling!" Rainbow Dash said, trotting out into the sunny morning.

"Did she crash and hit her head or something?" Rarity wondered as she grabbed her saddlebags and followed Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash looked up at the sky. "Why, it's simply a darling day, wouldn't you say darling?" She stretched her wings. "But it's missing something...ah! Rainbows! Rainbows, darling!"

Rainbow Dash took to the sky, rapidly creating a series of rainbows that connected one end of Ponyville to the other. She landed beside Rarity, shaking mist from her wings, coat, and mane. "Darling! Wouldn't you agree, darling?"

"Err...yes," Rarity said. "Simply...lovely."

Rarity followed Rainbow Dash to Sugar Cube Corner. Rainbow Dash kept up a stream of conversation, peppering her speech with the word 'darling' to a degree Rarity found absolutely ludicrous. However, concern for her friend kept her from speaking out of turn, so she simply endured the verbal torrent with grace and patience, keeping a concerned eye on her friend.

When they arrived, Mrs. Cake greeted them at the counter. "What can I get you dears this morning?"

"I'll have one of your darling cream cheese strudels, darling!" Rainbow Dash said.

Mrs. Cake blinked. "Okay. And you, Rarity?"

"Oh...a sweet roll and an espresso," Rarity said.

Once they had their breakfast, they took a seat at an open table. "Rainbow Dash, are you...feeling quite alright?" Rarity asked.

"Simply darling, darling!" Rainbow Dash replied. "And you, darling?"

"Fine," Rarity said through clenched teeth. She took a bite of her sweet roll.

What was happening here? Rarity went over all the possibilities in her mind. A magic spell gone horribly wrong? Head trauma? Discord? Poison joke? There were so many things that could be causing Rainbow Dash to behave this way...

As they left Sugar Cube Corner, Rainbow Dash said, "Thank you for having breakfast with me, darling."

"It's...no trouble, really."

"I'm about to do some shopping, darling. Would you care to join me, darling?"

Rarity shuddered. "Sure. I'd...love to..."

"Excellent, darling!"

For the rest of the day, Rarity followed Rainbow Dash around Ponyville. Rainbow Dash seemed to be incapable of speaking without using the word 'darling', and as the day wore on, Rarity's nerves were fraying rapidly, and her patience was wearing thin.

Whatever was wrong with Rainbow Dash, she needed to find out before it drove her insane.

"Say, Rainbow Dash...why don't we pay a visit to Twilight Sparkle?" Rarity suggested.

"What a darling idea, darling!" Rainbow Dash said. "It would be darling to see Twilight today, darling!"

"Yes...quite," Rarity said. She headed for the castle, Rainbow Dash right behind her.

When they arrived at the castle, Rarity approached Twilight. "You simply must examine Rainbow Dash," she said quietly. "She's not quite well today."

"Really? She looks fine to me," Twilight said. "What seems to be the problem?"

"Darling?" Rainbow Dash called. "What are you two darlings talking about, darlings? Don't keep me out of the loop darlings!"

Twilight's eye twitched. "Nevermind...I see what you mean."

For the next hour, the three mares conversed, while Twilight surreptitiously performed every examination she could think of on Rainbow Dash. The barrage of darlings was beginning to fray on her nerves, and her mane was frazzled.

Finally, Twilight slumped. "I give up," she said. "I can't find a thing wrong with Rainbow Dash."

"Well of course you can't, darling!" Rainbow Dash said. "I'm perfectly darling, darling!"

Rarity had finally had enough. "NO YOU'RE NOT!" she screamed. "YOU KEEP SAYING DARLING! EVERY OTHER WORD IS DARLING! ALL DAY LONG IT'S BEEN DARLING, DARLING, DARLING! WHY ARE YOU SAYING DARLING?!"

Rainbow Dash stared at her. Blinked once.

Then started snickering.

"Geez, Rarity!" she said. "I didn't think it'd take you this long to crack!" She chortled, wiping tears of laughter from her eyes. "Man, you have no idea how hard it was to keep that up all day! I can't believe I got through it with a straight face!"

Rarity stared at her, jaw gaping. "Buh?"

Twilight frowned. "Rainbow Dash...was this all some kind of prank?"

"Yep!" Rainbow Dash said. "Well...more of a bet. AJ? You back there?"

Applejack trotted out from behind her throne, chuckling. "You won, sugarcube," she said, hoofing a small bag of bits over to Rainbow Dash. "Ah thought for sure she'd throw a fit before y'all even finished breakfast."

Rarity stared at the two of them, eyes half-lidded. "The two of you made a bet...over how long it would take me to go insane from Rainbow Dash saying 'darling'?"

"Yep!" Rainbow Dash said. "I said it'd take at least two hours. AJ thought we wouldn't make it out of Sugar Cube Corner before you freaked out."

"I...see," Rarity said. "And...why, pray tell, would you make such a wager?"

Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked at one another, and shrugged. "We just thought it'd be funny," Rainbow Dash said.

"Funny, eh?" Rarity asked, eyes narrowed dangerously. "Ha, ha."

"Oh horseapples," Twilight said, diving behind her own throne.

Rarity pawed the crystal floor with a hoof, lowering her head and snorting steam. In a low, dangerous voice, she said:

"You'd best start running now, darlings."

Comments ( 147 )

"You'd best start running now, darlings."

img.pandawhale.com/103629-basically-run-gif-doctor-who-t-hA4M.gif

Doctor who comparison for the win.

:rainbowlaugh:

Oh my god! This is so darling, darling! Quite the darling spectacle indeed, darling! :rainbowwild:

Eh. Felt a little lack luster

5384261 It WAS going to be a Pony Fail, but it ended up being over 1k words, so I decided to make it a separate short story.

Anyway, if you don't get the joke, look up G3 Rainbow Dash.

Rarity is going to get some payback. :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh: I :heart::heart::heart: this story. Please make more. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

5384272
I actually collect the G3 ponies when I find them, I know the joke

5384316 Wait that was REAL!? I thought that was just pony info getting characters mixed up! She REALLY had Rarity's personality before!?

5384362 Dear Celestia make it STOP! I couldn't go through the first thirty seconds before I muted it! :rainbowlaugh:

That was funny though. I got a kick out of it. I feel no sympathy for Rarity. Ever. they should totally put this in the show. You should make another for Twilight and Rarity getting back at AJ and RD! That'd be totally rad!

Overall nice story. I feel like the only one who compare, Rainbow Dash (G3), and Rarity (G4) in the same voice the way they said 'Darling.' :rainbowderp:
s3.amazonaws.com/colorslive/jpg_512x512/396557-pE0sosFoLuqckd9U.jpg

5384362
It's over but why do I still hear it?!

5384362 I feel like my IQ went down a butch after a minutes (and two seconds) of RD (g3) DARLINGS:pinkiecrazy:

5384265 Can I kill it with fire PLEASE :twilightangry2:

5384362 I feel compelled to write a story where Rainbow becomes cursed, and the only words she knows how to say are...

"Darling?" and "Darlings!"

5384425 You'll be hearing it for the rest of your LIFE, darling! :raritystarry:

5384463 And "rainbows". That was her OTHER catchphrase.

5384362 Son of a B**** that's a lot of darlings.

...Kudos if you are a man and watched the whole thing like I did. Here's a secret to help you: imagine she's actually saying all of it in the same sentence, and trying to communicate through saying the same word over and over. It gets quite amusing.

5384362

Sweet CELESTIA, why would someone MAKE that video?! As if G3 wasn't bad enough :rainbowlaugh:

Seriously though, I got a kick out of this little comedy. I also learnt that some fictional characters believe 'darling' is an adjective, darling.

5384343 You're following me? o.o That's...actually quite uplifting to know, but still, you haven't read either of my stories as far as I know, so...why? XD

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: this story is pretty much a pile of meh.

I did laugh once, but that's the only positive thing I have to say. (I can't remember what it was that made me laugh, even though it was just 5 minutes ago, but nonetheless, a laugh is a laugh.)

It's too quick which is largely to do with that fact that hardly any detail is given, and what little detail there is is given in a very straightforward and boring fashion. No spectacle, just an account of an event.

Throw in a metaphor or a simile or something, appeal to our senses, give us something to capture our imaginations.

As it is, it's just:

Rainbow Dash did a thing.

Rarity responded.

Rainbow Dash did another thing.

Rarity responded.

(Repeat a few times.)

End.

5384518 Darling CAN be used as an adjective, though. Such as "a darling child", or "a darling little hat".

This was moderately amusing. The best part, though, was how Rarity didn't say "darling" at all until the end. At least, in my opinion, darling. :rainbowkiss:

5384564

True. Meh, my comment sounded better when you imagine it can't be used like that. :derpytongue2:

Heh, nice. Figured it was a prank on RD's part. Had been kind of hoping that Twilight had been in on it, just for the inevitable brain melt that would have happened there. Still, a cute result :trollestia:

The only suggestion I would have would be changing the final line every so slightly to

"You'd best start running now. Darlings."

to better emphasize how Rarity feels about the whole thing. Perhaps italics on darlings as well, denoting an angry growl.

Either way, got a grin and a laugh, nice show. Oh, and the video is pure evil.

5384521 You're welcome darling! MWAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! :pinkiecrazy:

5384542 It's not supposed to be deep and emotional in the first place. It's meant to be a great big joke! XD
You might as well complain because a knock-knock joke has no setting! :derpytongue2:

It's just... I can't... Why did... I'm not.... :rainbowlaugh:

I don't know why but the cover pictures got me tripping balls.

5384687 My qualm isn't that it's not deep. It's that it is written in a completely boring way. Writing (this includes writing in quick comedy stories) should convey more than just the essential information that advances the plot. There are no sentences in this story that make me think "Oh, that was a clever way of saying that!" They all just tell it like is.

Meh.

You usually knock me out with your comedies, Myth, maybe next time:unsuresweetie:

5384401 RAINBOWS DARLING! RAINBOWS!

(Reads the first few lines.) :twilightoops:






Nope.

Arn

5384362
Does each Darling have its own particular meaning?
As is in "I am Groot." or "Hurry, smurf the smurfy smurf is smurfing away in the smurf."

DAAAAAAARLING. THIS STORY WAS SIMPLY DAAAAARLING, DAAAAARLING.

Darling, did you notice that this darling story was featured? Simply darling, isn't it darling?

5384362 Oh dear lord :twilightoops: the story was already funny but it makes more sense now darling

5386029 Indeed, darling!

*Insert Darling joke, because you people are making better ones than I would in my entire, meaningless life*

*Insert comment about complimenting Moth's story*

Darling, this story was simply darling, darling!
DARLING!

AREN'T THE DARLING RAINBOWS JUST DARLING TODAY!?!JUST SIMPLY DARLING DARLING!






:rainbowkiss:DARLING..

5386712 You better... Rarity gunna get chu'...:duck:

Oh, darling. My head is now full of "darling" after reading that story, darling. :pinkiecrazy: :applejackconfused: :rainbowkiss:

mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw4952-1336992462974.png

I was going to write a comment about how "darling" this story was, but that's obviously not original, so I'll just go with this comment in the style of the Ugly Barnacle:

"Once there was an original comment: It was so original that NOBODY posted it! The end!"

That said, this is an awesome and hilarious story, simple and beautiful.

Login or register to comment