• Published 15th Dec 2014
  • 5,738 Views, 98 Comments

Lyra is a Mother - Paton Pendeng



A baby human is dropped off in front of Bon-Bon and Lyra's home.

  • ...
9
 98
 5,738

Lyra is an Insomniac

Ponyville was a quiet town, aside from the random disaster and/or world-ending catastrophe. From the softly rolling hills, to the quaint little homes in the town square. It was just relaxing enough to visit, but not so much to move out of cities like Manehatten or Canterlot. To the residents living there though, everything was just a little off-center of normality. However, there were moments that seemed to take one's breath away. One such moment took place during the lull between dusk and dawn. On the nights when not a single cloud is in the sky, and the wind is at rest, is the time when all seems to be completely at ease and at rest. Nothing stirs besides those few who are either tinkering and scheming, or those who simply cannot sleep.

In Ponyville, only one mare could fit one or both of those descriptions.

Lyra settled into her custom fit chair, sitting as she normally would, which to any other is unnatural, and levitated a sci-fi novel from off the bookshelf. She smiled to herself, gazing at the quiet house around her. She sat in a somewhat small living-room, adjacent to a slightly large kitchen. Personally, she couldn't cook without accidently creating mustard gas, or napalm and counted herself lucky for finding such a good marefriend. From there, a smallish staircase lead up to the master bedroom, where her marefirend in question lay. Lyra felt a little bad for leaving her to sleep alone this late at night, but on the contrary, Bon-Bon complained often about her reading and fidgeting in bed. After one night of sleepless shifting and squirming, Lyra was sent to a doctor and diagnosed with insomnia. The doctor recommended a sleep tablet that should only be taken once per week, and for Lyra to listen to her body. The mint green unicorn was about to tell the doctor to take the large pills and shove them where Celestia's sun does not shine, but Bon-Bon reassured her that the pills were not a part of some government conspiracy. Thus, Lyra listened, and, although she was getting more sleep than usual, she sometimes found herself awake and full of energy. It was these nights that she found herself either tinkering with her Finger 1.1 in the cellar, or reading the next Sci-fi novel in her library. Bon-Bon couldn't really complain so long as Lyra was being quiet.

Although, now that Lyra was thinking about her marefriend, things were beginning to tumble downhill. Their relationship was strange, and often caused Bon-Bon to reflect on her life's choices. She was a candy maker and a darned good one too. SugarCube corner wishes that they had Bon-Bon on their staff. "If only she wasn't so... humble," Lyra thought to herself while cracking open the latest issue of Proffessor When. Bon-Bon wasn't one to be blamed completely though. Most of it rested on Lyra. Being a harpist had its own problems and so did Lyra. Finding a job or gig was slim and funding Lyra's hobbies was not exactly economical. Then there were some instances when Lyra had been perfectly rational but still had to take the short end of the stick. She bit that pony out of pure scientific reasoning. It had nothing to do with the fact that she called Lyra crazy for singing about humans. Still, she didn't have to bite her... or the guard... or accidently raise a riot and getting them kicked out of the concert. Bon-Bon was still sore about that last one...

Money was tight, and forces beyond their control were against them... The only thing they had was each other. It sounded like the beginning of a sappy romance Bon-Bon kept in the folds of the bed. There were moments that were exactly like that though. During a meteor shower, the two mares laid close to each other on a grassy knoll, watching the stream of lights steak across the sky. They were warm in each other's embrace, and not one word was spoken between them. (A gift that Bon-Bon accepted as an early birthday present.) Then, the earth-pony turned to her.

"Lyra," she began in a low and soft voice. "Let's make a wish on the last one that falls, okay?"

Lyra anxiously agreed, and, as that last meteor burned up in the atmosphere, the two mares made their wishes.

"So... what'd you wish for?" the mint green pony asked anxiously.

"Well..." Bon-Bon began in apprehension to which Lyra didn't notice. "I don't think I should say..."

"Oh, come on..." Lyra begged playfully. "I'll tell you my wish."

"Let me guess..." the other mare chuckled. "A human, right?"

"Yeah!" Lyra responded with vigor. "Now...?"

"Well... I do suppose I could...." Bon-Bon turned to look into the other's eyes. "Lyra, I wished for a... a little bundle of joy that we could take care of on our own..."

Lyra sat in her chair, deep in her recollection when there was a sudden knock on the door. She was brought out of her thoughts immediately, almost having forgotten the memory entirely. She looked around the silent room, until she spotted a clock on the wall. It was 12 o'clock. Midnight... "Who would be up this late at night- er... morning?"

Lyra got up from her chair and treaded across the floor quietly. She held her book within her magic and slowly twisted the knob on the door. She eased it open as quietly as she could and looked trough the small opening she made. She saw nothing in the doorway and gradually opend the door the rest of the way. She took a few steps out into the night air, and called out, "Hello? Bighoof? Is that you?"

She was not answered.

"Look, if it is you," Lyra began. "Can you tell the gnomes to stay out of my Snipe nesting grounds?"

Suddenly, her hoof brushed against a soft surface. She looked down and gasped causing her to drop the novel onto her own head. She didn't feel the pain over the utter shock and disbelief that filled with her chest.


"Bon-Bon..." a hushed whisper called through the quiet of the bedroom. "...Bon-Bon..."

The mare in question was currently lying on one half of the queen-sized mattress. She had covered herself in the comforter and blankets, and had wore a sleeping mask over her eyes. She woke up rather roughly to the sound of annoying whispers. Hopefully they went away soon.

"Bon-Bon..." They weren't going away. Why is it that they never go away?

"Is the kitchen on fire?" the cream colored mare asked.

"No..." the voice whispered back.

"Is the house on fire?"

"No..."

"Is there a giant black hole outside sucking the house, and us, into it?"

There was a brief pause as the sound of tip-toeing hooves pittere back and forth across the floor. "No..." the voice whispered again.

"Then there isn't anything that could rouse me from this bed, Lyra," Bon-Bon stated flatly while trying bury herself into the covers.

"There might..." Lyra whispered. "There might be... Bon-Bon... Bon-bon... wake up... Bon-Bon..."

Bon-Bon suddenly sat up in the bed and took a deep breath. "Lyra, when I take this mask off, you'd better be on fire..." Bon-Bon removed her mask, revealing a very stern glare to Lyra. "And what do you know? Nothing is on fire."

"Yeah, but you've gotta come look!" Lyra exclaimed. "Bonnie, please..."

"Don't you, "Bonnie, please!" me, Lyra Heartstrings," Bon-Bon reprimanded. "There is no reason why you should be waking me up in the dead of night, so-"

"There's a baby on our couch!" Lyra interrupted.

"... what?"

"Yeah, and she's all cute and sleeping-"

"Woah, woah, woah..." Bon-Bon interrupted. "You're telling me that there is a baby on our loveseat?"

"Yes," Lyra responded with an irritated tone.

"Not a really small bug or anything like that?"

"Yes, Bonnie."

"Lyra..." Bon-Bon sighed while getting off the mattress to place a hoof on her marefriend's shoulder. "You're not foal-napping again, are you?"

"Oh, come on!" Lyra exclaimed, now thoughly annoyed. "Look, you're coming with me now!" Lyra then lifted the earth pony up in her magic and downstairs to the living room.

"See!" Lyra gestured in a whisper once more. There was a baby on the couch, but not a foal... Bon-Bon saw what Lyra had described to her thousands of times in a smaller, squishier looking form. What lay and slept on their loveseat was an actually real-life human bundled up in a soft pink blanket.

Author's Note:

IDK where this one came from. Yeah... I hope to make this a good fic. I went through and edited what I could, but for those who are Grammar Nazis,

KORRIGIERE N MEINE ARBEIT UND HABEN SIE EINEN SCHÖNEN TAG!!! :flutterrage: