• Published 5th Nov 2011
  • 21,571 Views, 1,160 Comments

Equestria: Total War - emkajii



War comes to Equestria: with despair, with starvation, with sacrifice and with heroism.

  • ...
22
 1,160
 21,571

PreviousChapters Next
XIV. Trottingham, Equestria. January, 1252.


Westmarch Wilds, Equestria. January, 1252.


The flames cracked and spat, filling the cave with a lovely warm glow. The smoke gathered near the high, soot-stained ceiling, leaving the air beneath lovely and pure. Fluttershy lay happily near the fire. She stretched out on the grass bedding she had gathered, absentmindedly nibbled on it, swallowed, and and yawned. A family of field mice in little brown western hats squeaked next to her. She gently extended a wing over them.

It was cold outside. So cold. Colder than she had ever known, really. She used to ask herself why Celestia had brought such an awful winter, but then she remembered that she wasn't back there any more. She was in Lovely Cave, where everything was safe and warm and everypony was nice to everypony. She didn't remember naming it that. Lovely Cave just kind of became what she called it. It was a lovely cave, after all. It was cozy, it was secluded, and it was comfortable. It went back way, way far, but she hardly ever explored it. She had so much to do in the main chamber. She painted pictures on the walls. She made nice crafts for her friends. She went out to find food.

A rabbit in a pink sweater bounced up to her and nuzzled against her. She smiled, and shifted her weight, letting him grab and eat a choice leaf that had been under her chest. She took such good care of her friends here in Lovely Cave. And they all were so nice to each other. Not like...well, not like caves and other places that weren't so lovely. If they existed, ha ha. But maybe there was nothing but Lovely Cave! That would be okay. Sometimes she wondered if she was the only pony there was. Wouldn't that be nice. That would mean she was the mother to a whole new world--a world of lovely friends who were always kind.

A blue jay flew up to her, wearing the little rainbow-colored hat Fluttershy had stitched for him. She smiled at her handiwork. She thought it was a nice design, though she couldn't quite put her hoof on why. It took so long to make, but the birdie sure seemed to like it. That's probably why the design was so appealing. Because the bird liked it. Of course. She kissed the jay on the head. The jay chirped sweetly in response, then flew off.

She sighed happily. Things were so nice in Lovely Cave.



----

Trottingham, Equestria. January, 1252.


The wind whipped around the quaint wooden houses and over the rough cobblestone of old Trottingham. It had once been the seat of a petty kingdom. Then, the jewel of a duchy. Then, the most elegant city in the Westmarch. Then, a creaky city with a glorious past and an eye towards decadence. Then, all but evacuated as the Gryphonic army came near. Now, the winter quarters of the New Equestrian Army.

Col. Twilight Sparkle walked through the street, keeping close to the windward buildings. A lone dead leaf blew off an otherwise-naked tree, and landed on her face. She blew it off with a puff of warm breath, and huddled a little closer to the walls on her right. Soon she came up to a particularly large and elegant storefront. It had once specialized in fashionable apparel. It now housed the commanding officers of the New Equestrian Army Royal Cavalry. She smiled. A month in winter camp, and she had finally come up with an excuse to pay her a visit.

She swung open the door, jumped in, and then shut it quickly behind her. She needn't have bothered: the building was nearly as cold inside as it was outside. She grumbled a bit under her breath as she realized she wasn't getting any warmer. She knew firewood was becoming scarce, but not heating officers' quarters was a new frontier in frugality.

She made her way up the staircase and into one of the lofts. There, under a few blankets and in front of scattered diagrams and papers, was Rainbow Dash.

"Maj. Dash! Glad to see you! Gosh, it's been forever!" Twilight bubbled. "We've been so busy, and I know you have. Why, we've hardly said a dozen words to each other all month!"

"Colonel," Dash replied, not looking up.

Twilight smiled. "Um...yeah! So anyway, things have been going all right with the artillery, you know, just the standard practicing, ha ha ha, so, same with you?"

"Nope. Can't fly. Too cold and windy. Got 'em doing ground agility training." Dash narrowed her eyes at the scroll she was writing on. She shook her head and crumpled it between her hooves, then tossed it at the little oil lamp next to her. The paper burned quickly and cleanly. She pulled a blank scroll out of a bag and began writing.

Twilight stuck out her neck a bit. "Um...Rainbow Dash? It's me. Twilight Sparkle. How are you?"

Dash kept writing. "Fine, I guess. Busy."

"Yeah?" Twilight took a step closer.

Dash glanced at her and rolled her eyes. "Okay, if you want to know, my first adaptation of my flight manual was practically useless; I didn't realize I'd have to teach my subordinates how to fly, too. I thought I could just tell them what to teach and they'd know how to teach it. Turns out I've got to teach them, too, and entirely through paper. Frustrating as heck."

"Ahaha, me too," Twilight said, her smile widening. "I mean, I didn't actually have a problem with it, of course, but I did have to account for the fact that my subordinate officers would not be able to draw on my personal knowledge when preparing training manuals. It's difficult, huh?"

"Yeah." Dash put down her pen. Twilight's eyes perked up. Dash picked up a different quill, and with a hoof pulled a vial of red ink near her. She dipped it in, and began writing. Twilight's spirits dropped a bit.

"Rainbow Dash. What's wrong? Why don't you want to talk?"

Dash shook her head. "It's pointless, Colonel. What matters is whether I follow orders, because bad things happen when I don't. I'm going to follow them. And that's it."

Twilight grunted in irritation, then barked an order: "Fine. Major Rainbow Dash, I hereby command you to talk with me!"

Dash looked askance at her. "Is that a lawful order? You can do that?"

Twilight put on a poker face. She had no idea. "...Certainly. So! Terrible weather we've been having."

Dash shrugged and looked out her little window. "Well, yeah. They haven't ordered us to do anything about the clouds, or the wind, or anything like that. Not my concern why." A little cloud drifted slowly above. She squinted at it. "Hey, Colonel. Look at this."

Twilight walked up to the window. "What do you see, Rainbow?" She put a bit of stress on the last word.

Dash pointed with a hoof. "That cloud. It wasn't there yesterday. And it's moving. But I don't see anypony moving it. And it'd be a bitch to get up there in this weather."

"Huh!" Twilight said. "I don't see anypony either. What do you think--"

Dash turned from the window, shrugged, and cut her off. "--I'unno. Celestia hasn't said anything about the weather situation as far as I know. Are we done talking?"

Twilight forced cheeriness. "No, Maj. Dash. Not yet. How are you and Spitfire getting along?"

Dash swallowed, and looked to the side. "Lt. Spitfire follows orders. And she knows what she's doing. The 3rd is safe in her hooves. I'm glad she's taking care of..." Dash trailed off, smiling a bit, then something changed in her expression. "I mean I am pleased with her performance so far. She's a good soldier."

There was an uncomfortable silence. Twilight looked down, and bit her lip. "Rainbow Dash... why...why don't we all eat together any more?"

Dash pulled her head back. "I--well--I--it's improper. Or, I don't know. Something. Duty comes first."

Twilight looked away sadly. She spoke softly, so softly Dash could barely hear her. "None of us do. You're all so distant now. Are you all angry with me?" She looked back at the pegasus, her eyes welling beneath her crisp white-and-gold cap.

Something in Dash melted. Dash stood up, shrugging off her blankets. Her uniform was rumpled underneath, like she hadn't taken it off in days. Dash spoke in a halting voice that threatened to break. "Twilight. I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt you. But...I did a really, really bad thing at the battle. A really bad thing. And I did it because I was my ponies' friend instead of their commander. I put them above my duties. And I can't do that again. I can't let myself do that again. I want to be your friend. But I can't be right now. Not until this is over. I really am sorry, Twilight. I really am."

She walked up to Twilight as she spoke, and wrapped her neck around her old friend's. She whispered the last line in the unicorn's ear. And then she stepped back, saluted, and went back to her her papers.

"Dismissed, Maj. Dash," Twilight whispered back. Dash didn't notice. Twilight turned, and walked sadly down the stairs and out into the wind.



Twilight Sparkle looked placidly around the tent city. Not everypony could get a house, of course. She felt a bit bad that some of her friends were shivering in tents...but, well, shivering in a house really wasn't all that much different, come to think of it. Less wind, maybe. Her thoughts were interrupted by seeing an orange-yellow pony in a simple gold-dyed uniform coming around a mess tent.

"Well, Colonel Sparkle! Fancy seein' you 'round these parts!" Applejack trotted up happily, her smile peeking out from behind her wide-brimmed (and non-regulation) hat. She lifted its brim to reveal her eyes. "There we go. Keeps the chill out my face but sure makes it hard to see. So what brings you to the line infantry camp?"

Twilight smiled enthusiastically. "Hey there, Applejack. I managed to beg off the day, and I thought I'd visit my friends...since, you know, it's been so long since you all stopped coming for our lunches." She sounded a bit more reproachful than she intended.

"Oh. Well. Er...everything's fine! No problems to report. Nothin' that would hurt yer morale a'tall."

Twilight put on an exaggeratedly cross face. "Oh for the love of...look, AJ, we've done this before. You're a terrible liar. Now tell me what's wrong."

Applejack sighed. "Twi, I ain't lyin'. There's just nothin' you need to be worried about."

"Don't say that! I'm your friend, remember? If you have a problem, you can tell me."

"Er...it used to work that way, Twilight, I know. But things're different in war. Loose lips 'n all that. I'm sure y'understand."

"Applejack! Come on. How can we be friends if we don't share with each other?"

"War ain't about friendship, Twi. Sayin' things has consequences, so 'less I been ordered to say it, I ain't gonna say it." She smiled apologetically. "You take care now, y'hear? Don't want you gettin' all worried sick 'bout things ain't yours to worry 'bout. Don't want you...y'know...runnin' off into the woods like somepony did."

The reference to Fluttershy hit Twilight like a cannonshot. She froze for a few seconds, then spoke. "All...all right, Applejack...but if you do want to talk about anything, feel free to drop by."

Applejack nodded. "Sure thing, Twilight. And if you get a chance--actually, forget it. Forget it. Never mind. Don't worry none 'bout it. We're fine, and I mean that."

Twilight took a step closer. "What? What is it? Whatever it is, I'd be happy to."

Applejack chuckled. "Yeah, everypony's always happy to hear about problems ain't their business, ain't they? And then what happens, huh? Nah, Twilight, I misspoke. Our business is our business, and your business is your business. But you take care. I'm serious, sugarcube, you're lookin' a little bit sick right now." And with that, Applejack walked on past Twilight, and down a trail.

Applejack was right. Twilight did feel sick.



Twilight sat in front of a campfire, her mouth full of stale cupcake. "Pinkmfgh. Thss'zz rellagh good Whrr dd you geth this?"

Pinkie giggled. "Silly Twilight! Swallow first, then talk! Didn't your mother teach you better?"

Twilight swallowed. "Heh, sorry. I--"

"--anyway, we got 'em from the cellar of this a boarded-up place! It used to be a bakery I think, because it was just full of great stuff! Flour and sugar and vanilla and everything! I bet whoever owns it would be really mad at me! But they're probably dead." Her eye twitched slightly. Twilight didn't notice. "So I started baking, and ha ha I just didn't stop until it was all gone. I mean, what kind of friend would I be if I only made enough for some of my girls and not all of them. But go on, have another one! They're already going stale, I know, but they're still good. If we don't eat them though they'll all go to waste."

Twilight floated another one over to her mouth and took a bite. This one was soft and spongy. "Mmm, Pinkkggh! Thss'm'z rllagh ffghresh."

"Of course it's fresh, silly, you took it out of the middle of the box! That's where the best ones are. Ooh, this one looks nice." She tossed one up in the air with her teeth, then caught it on her tongue and ate it in one bite, sending ripples through her long, straight mane. "...mmm, yeah. Real nice."

"Wow...you know, Pinkie Pie, I've just got to say: it is so nice to see you're still Pinkie Pie."

"Well, yeah! Who else would I be? Rarity? Ha ha I don't have a horn, that wouldn't work. Would I sew with my tongue? Actually, I bet I could sew with my tongue. Hm. Let's see, do you have a little twig or something I could--"

"--no, Pinkie, I mean...like, the others are all acting weird. Fluttershy ran off, Dash is pretending she doesn't even have friends, Applejack is friendly enough but she won't say anything...I don't know."

"Oh, that's not good! Ha ha, it's kinda like when Discord made us all crazy! Remember that? Grr, I'm crabby and I don't like to laugh ha ha that was so dumb!"

Twilight became thoughtful. "I...no, not quite like that, Pinkie. I mean, yeah, sorta. But...it's like, back then, Dash wasn't Dash. She was somepony else. Somepony different. And you weren't you, and Rarity wasn't Rarity, and none of us were us. We were all like evil opposites."

"Uh-huh! Totally dumb!"

Twilight set her half-eaten cupcake down on the ground. "But now...Dash is still Dash. She still feels the same things. She still thinks the same things. But she doesn't act like Rainbow Dash did in Ponyville, because we're not in Ponyville any more. I think that's scarier, in a way. Because we'll never be back in the same Ponyville anymore. Like, we beat Discord by reminding each other of what was real--of who we really were. But the war is real. I can't make the war...you know, not have happened. We've still seen the things we've seen. Am I making sense?"

Pinkie laughed. "You bet! Ha ha ha." Her eye twitched again. Twilight blinked in mild confusion. "Like, just last week, Nightwhisper--she's one of my girls--got frostbite while standing on patrol. She didn't have a hat for her ears because it had rotted off her, ha ha. Isn't that dumb? How does a hat rot!? It isn't food! Sure doesn't taste good! And believe me, we've all tried to eat 'em on marches. No good. Ha ha. Silly."

She twitched again. This time the whole side of her face spasmed. "So anyway. After her shift she came to the fire to warm up, and her ears were colored all wrong, and they started to hurt really bad once she got near the heat. Anyway, it got infected I think, because it spread and and and and and she got sick and and and she died this morning. Ha ha ha ha ha." She shuddered as she laughed, her eyes slammed shut. A tear ran down her face. "She was a really sweet pony too. Really nice. Ha ha ha, it's so random! I think she's still in her tent. I haven't told the other girls yet. Ha ha, I bet they think she's alive right now! They'll be really sssss really sad to find out ha ha ha but not half as sad as I am because it's my fault I should have sent someone who had a hat I just wasn't thinking i'm so dumb and she's dead and i killed her dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb ha ha ha dumb dumb dumb ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha dumb ha ha ha..."

Pinkie rocked back and forth, laughing and crying and hugging herself as tightly as she could. Twilight stared. Not at Pinkie. Not at the fire. Not at the cupcake. She just stared.



-------------------------------



A single, small log burned in the fireplace. Sitting in the study of the mayoral house, Celestia checked over the figures. They couldn't be right. They had triple-checked the logistics of making winter camp here. With some light requisitioning from the nearby villages, there would be enough food to last through March--more than enough time. But at the current rate of consumption, it wouldn't last through the middle of February. She checked the figures again. No, the supply rate was what was expected. So were the local reserves. Consumption was way, way up, though. No, attrition wasn't the problem; stocks were where they were expected to be given what ponies were eating. And ponies were eating...there. There was the problem. They used the summer rate of consumption. Damn them, they used the wrong reference tables. A pony in winter obviously has to eat more than a pony during the campaigning season. Anger flushed through her. Incompetence. And incompetence that the entire army would have to suffer.

And they would have to suffer it. They certainly couldn't go on the march again; every day they'd lose ponies by the hundreds to starvation or hypothermia or desertion or Gryphon raids. They could send supply wagons further out, but already they were being sent further out then they could reasonably protect, and sending them any further afield would mean even higher losses to enemy raiders. They could try to open a direct supply line to the Southmarch, but the Southmarch was already overrun with refugees, and she was already getting reports of mass starvation. Taking their food would have to be a last resort. The Gryphon armies camped in Fillydelphia and outside Canterlot made it impossible to get food from the north, center, or east. They could increase their efforts to find and exploit stores of food in the area, but unless they happened to find a magic mountain of hay...it was inescapable. They'd either have to start slowly starving now, or starve completely in mid-February.

Two months of slow hunger and death. Or a month of bare sustenance followed by a month of nothing at all to eat before the spring grasses came in.

She shook her head, staring at the figures, willing them to come up with another solution. She shivered, and magically draped another blanket around her shoulders. She wished she could do something about the cold. About the winter. She could theoretically return to Canterlot and force the sun to shine on Equestria until the grasses grew again...but that would just be inviting capture. No. It would have to be a natural sun, for better or for worse.

She looked over the charts yet again. For better or for worse. No matter how much worse that would be.

PreviousChapters Next