• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 2,286 Views, 27 Comments

Wings of My Heart - Jaida857



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy always knew they loved one another. Now it's time to show it.

  • ...
1
 27
 2,286

Not Complete Without You

"Psst, Fluttershy! Fluttershy!"

Rainbow carefully lifted the blanket off of her side of the bed and tried to slip out unnoticed. She was just about to leave when she felt the hooves tighten around her. She smiled and shook her head, allowing herself to be pulled back into the bed.

"Where're you going Dashie?" Fluttershy mumbled sleepily, her eyes half open.

"I gotta get some early weather jobs done," Rainbow explained. Fluttershy lifted her head to look out the window, seeing that the sun had just barely begun to rise.

"Can't it wait for another few minutes?" she asked, her eyes drifting close again. Rainbow smiled sadly.

"Sorry, but I have to get them done before everypony wakes up," she said regretfully. She would have liked nothing more than to drift back to sleep with Fluttershy right beside her, but you can't always get what you want. Then again, she had gotten more than she ever hoped for the previous day, when she had finally confessed her feelings.

"Please Dashie?" Fluttershy pleaded, and it was her voice that stopped Rainbow from getting up. She remembered last night well enough that she just had to listen.

The first part of the night had been her favourite. It hadn't progressed to much, just a few shy kisses on the cheek. Rainbow didn't want to push her, because she knew Fluttershy got pushed around enough. She was totally prepared to allow the shy yellow pegasus to go at whatever pace she saw fit. As long as Fluttershy was happy, she would be happy.

It was in the earliest hours of the morning, when there was still a long time until the sun would begin to peek over the horizon, that gave her the reason to stay. Rainbow had been awake at the time, just thinking and watching the moonlight shine on Fluttershy's beautiful face. Suddenly, she heard a quiet whimper come from the sleeping pegasus, followed by another. Alarmed, she realized that Fluttershy was having a nightmare, and she attempted to wake her up. When she had woken up, tears were streaming down her face and she couldn't stop crying.

Rainbow had hugged her close and tried to calm her, rocking her back and forth while whispering soothing words. It had been several minutes until she was calm enough to speak, and then she had poured out all of her worries. Fluttershy talked for what felt like hours, about how she had never been in a relationship before and didn't know what she was supposed to do, how she was worried about what their friends would think, and how they would be treated. Rainbow listened to that and more until she had finished. When she did finish, Fluttershy let out another quiet whimper.

"I'm sorry you had to listen to all of that," she apologized quietly. Rainbow was surprised at the apology, and responded by hugging her even closer.

"Don't apologize to me," she had whispered, giving her a soft kiss on the forehead. "You don't ever need to apologize to me for being yourself."

She remembered those events perfectly, and it was because of that that she couldn't just leave Fluttershy alone. She would have to leave at some point, but really, what was the rush? The weather could wait another hour.

...maybe another two.

---------------------------------

Hours later, after Rainbow had finally managed to leave without feeling guilty, and after she finished her weather jobs, she was headed to the library to pick up the latest issue of Daring Do. As soon as she got that, she would head straight to Sugarcube Corner to meet Fluttershy. She hated the two of them being apart, especially after what had happened yesterday in the market, but some of her weather jobs required her to fly much higher than Fluttershy was comfortable with. An idea coming to her at the last moment, she suggested that Fluttershy wait at Sugarcube Corner for her, where they would meet up when she was finished.

She moved just a little faster at the thought of seeing her again soon. She reached the library in no time, which also happened to be the home of her friend Twilight. Rainbow knocked twice on the door, and it was answered by Spike.

"Oh hi Rainbow!" he greeted her, stepping aside to allow her to come in.

"Hey Spike, what's up?" she replied.

"Twilight's re-shelving, again," he rolled his eyes, closing the door behind him. He was about to call for Twilight when his eyes lit up.

"Oh yeah! I forgot to say. Congratulations on you and Fluttershy!"

"Oh, thanks Spike," Rainbow thanked him, a little surprised that he knew. Then again, they hadn't exactly made it a secret the day before, when they had confessed their feelings in front of a crowd. A few of the ponies had obviously shared the news around town, which was just fine. Neither Rainbow nor Fluttershy had anything to be ashamed of.

"So it's true?" came a voice being shouted from the other room, accompanied by a loud crash. A few seconds later, Twilight stumbled into the room, papers scattering behind her. She shook out her mane and walked over to Rainbow.

"Are you and Fluttershy really... you know..." she trailed off awkwardly. Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, we're really a couple now," she confirmed, smiling at the word. She just couldn't get over the fact that Fluttershy was hers.

"Well, that's..." Twilight trailed off again, and Rainbow frowned. What was with her friend? Did she really have a problem with the two of them being together?

"Umm, that's great!" Twilight finally finished, forcing a smile onto her face. Spike had a confused look on his face as he looked at his friend. Rainbow tried to shrug it off, certain that she would accept it soon.

"I'm glad you think so," Rainbow said, knowing that wasn't exactly the truth, but going with it anyways.

"So, did you come to pick up the new issue of Daring Do?" Twilight asked, obviously changing the subject. "Because I already mailed it to your house, knowing you would want it right away."

"Wow that's awesome! Thanks!" Rainbow thanked her, although she wasn't entirely sure whether she would be at her own house that night. "I'm sorry I can't stay and chat, but Fluttershy's waiting for me at Sugarcube Corner."

"Oh, that's actually where I was heading later. Maybe we can walk there together."

"Sounds great!"

------------------------------

Meanwhile, Fluttershy was waiting for Rainbow to meet her at Sugarcube Corner. When she had arrived earlier, the Cakes had given her a little congratulations before heading out. They said that Pinkie was busy baking in the kitchen, and she was welcome to wait there as long as she needed to. For the first little while, Pinkie didn't know she was there yet, so Fluttershy sat at one of the tables by herself, sipping on some tea she had been given before the Cakes left.

It was one of the those rare moments when she had a hard time sitting still. The thought of seeing Rainbow soon was making her impatient. She just wanted her to walk through that door, and every second that she didn't, her impatience grew. She was just about to get up and start pacing when she heard a huge crash in the kitchen, and the next thing she saw was Pinkie Pie bouncing happily into the main part of the store, covered in cake batter. As soon as she saw Fluttershy, she let out a huge gasp, licked up all of the cake batter in one swipe, and darted over to stand right in front of her.

"Fluttershy!" she exclaimed, going off into one of her Pinkie Pie rants. "How long have you been here? Why didn't you tell me you were here? You could've come and help me bake cupcakes! Did you here that crash? I was busy mixing the icing that I forgot to check on the cupcakes, and so they exploded. I'm fine though, I just got covered in cake batter. Maybe next time I should- WAIT A MINUTE. I just remembered. CONGRATULATIONS!"

As Pinkie was always prepared for a surprise, she pulled out one of her small party cannons from who knows where and shot a bunch of confetti into the air. Fluttershy jumped back in momentary fright, and then smiled as Pinkie pulled her in for a hug.

"I heard all about you and Rainbow Dash from Rose, who heard it from Cheerilee, who heard it from Derpy, who heard it from Caramel who was there in the market yesterday and overheard it from you two! I'm so happy for you!!!"

"Oh, thank you very much Pinkie," Fluttershy thanked her timidly, her smile growing at her friends approval. As she had cried over to Rainbow the night before, she had been worrying about her friends not looking at them the same way after they knew. She had no doubt about the way she felt, but she still wanted her friends to approve, and so far things were looking up.

"I know what I should do!" Pinkie exclaimed suddenly. "I should throw you guys a party! Can you bring Rainbow over here in an hour? I'll send invites to the others, and we can all have a super-fantastic, extra-fun time!"

"Actually, Rainbow is meeting me here soon," Fluttershy explained. "She was just finishing up with some weather jobs, and she should be here any minute now."

"Hmm, I won't be able to do all of the decorations I wanted, but we can still have a party! I'll get my big party cannon, and you can get your birdies to deliver invitations to the others."

"What's this I hear about a party?"

Both of the ponies turned to the door to see Rainbow walking into the store, followed by Twilight, and Applejack and Rarity.

"Oh no, now I really don't have time to set up a party!" Pinkie said sadly, and then brightened up almost instantly as she often did.

"Hello everypony," Fluttershy greeted her friends. "And Rainbow, you sure got those weather jobs done quick."

"I couldn't stand to be away from you any longer," she said. The blue pegasus then walked over to stand next to Fluttershy, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. The shy pony blushed and smiled, glad that Rainbow was finally with her. In all honesty, she didn't feel complete unless she was there. Thinking back on it, it had been like that for a long time, she just hadn't realized and accepted it until the previous day.

"So it looks like the rumours really are true," Applejack said as she and the others stopped next to their friends in the store.

"Yep, it's official!" Rainbow said proudly, pulling Fluttershy closer and winking at her friends. Pinkie was all smiles, while Twilight and Applejack exchanged a glance.

"Well I for one am very happy for you two," Rarity said, smiling at her friends. "It's good to see that you both finally found someone to be with."

"Why thank you Rarity," Fluttershy thanked their friend, her smile widening.

"Alright, enough chat, it's time for the party!" Pinkie exclaimed, bouncing up and down in excitement. "Do you want to help me set up, or should I do it myself so everyone can be surprised?"

"I'm sure we can give you a hand," Twilight answered. Everyone nodded in agreement and were about to follow Pinkie into the back room when she stopped Rainbow and Fluttershy.

"Not you two! You need to be super extra surprised, because it is your party after all! Why don't you come back in an hour? That's plenty of time to set up a party!"

"You're sure you don't need us to help?" Fluttershy asked. Pinkie just responded by pushing them out the door.

"No way, I want this party to be perfect! See you in an hour!"

The pink earth pony gave them one final wave before closing the door. Rainbow simply shrugged and took a step closer to Fluttershy.

"You want to walk around town for a bit?" she asked. "Something tells me Pinkie wouldn't like it if we insisted on helping."

--------------------------------

"Well they sure looked... happy," Applejack commented as Pinkie handed her a box of streamers.

"Yes, quite," Rarity agreed. "It's wonderful that they trust us so much as to tell us."

"Why wouldn't they tell us?" Pinkie wondered, pausing in blowing up a balloon. "If they kept it a secret, I wouldn't have known to throw them this party!"

"No Pinkie, we mean because they're both, y'know, they're both mares," Twilight explained, using her magic to arrange the snack table. Pinkie just blinked several times, tilting her head to the side.

"Yes, I know that silly. Does it make a difference? They're happy, and that's what matters, right?"

"You're right of course," Applejack agreed. "It'll just take a little getting used to."

"I agree," Twilight said. "We shouldn't act any different just because of this. They are our friends after all, and if they're happy, we should be too."