• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 30,113 Views, 2,909 Comments

Fractured Sunlight - Oroboro



As kids, Twilight and Sunset were best friends, but a tragic accident cut their friendship short. Years later, Twilight investigates the incidents at Canterlot High and comes face to face with what appears to be a literal ghost from her past.

  • ...
72
 2,909
 30,113

4: Connections

Dear Diary,

Today was a Saturday, so no school!

I was just playing by myself when the doorbell rang. It was Sunset Shimmer! :heart:

Her dad brought her over to apologize for yesterday. She apologized really nicely, and it made me happy. Then her Dad started talking to my Mom about some grownup stuff, and they said we could go play.

I took her up to my room, but when we got up there she stopped smiling and asked me why I was crying yesterday.

I didn’t really understand what she meant, but I told her that I was crying because I wanted to be her friend, but she said mean things to me and hurt my feelings.

Then she got angry again and said I was just faking and pretending to be nice to her so I could get her in trouble.

I can’t understand why anyone would do something that mean to someone else, so I told her that, and then started crying again.

I didn’t go and tell anyone and Sunset just sat there quietly until I stopped. She called me a crybaby, so I told her that mommy says I wear my heart on my sleeve and I should be proud of that.

Then she laughed and asked if we could play with my LEGOs, so we did that until it was time for her to go.

I’m not sure if this means we’re friends now, but I really hope so. I can’t wait for Monday!

Twilight Sparkle


Twilight sat in her room, staring at her phone.

It was past two in the morning, and she couldn’t get to sleep. After getting back from the hospital she had excused herself, taking dinner in her room, saying she was tired, and generally ignoring any of the attempts Cadance and Shining Armor made to talk to her.

And as much as she wanted to pull away from it, to throw her phone into an incinerator, she just kept going back to that damned picture.

She had even gone so far as to crop Sunset’s picture out of the image and place it into a reverse image search. The search returned with quite a few false positives, but she found some photos of what appeared to be Sunset as prom queen, a few of her in crowd shots, and a MyStable page marked private.

At least she didn’t have a specific reason to be up early, though it would wreck havoc with her sleep schedule.

Growling, Twilight punched the home button, then pulled up her contacts list. The phone rang about seven times before a groggy and annoyed voice finally answered.

“Rarity, if you’re calling me because this is a middle of the night fashion emergency or some other such nonsense, I swear I’ll steal every dress you own and string ’em up across the apple orchard during a thunderstorm.”

“It’s Twilight.”

She heard Applejack suck in a deep breath, and the phone was silent for about twenty seconds before she finally mumbled, “Uh, hey, Twi. You alright?”

“I want to see her.”


Shining Armor slumped forward on the couch, his head resting in his hands as he stared at the empty glass on the table. Its contents were already lighting a fire in his stomach. A part of him wanted to grab the glass and fill it up again, but he still had to work in the morning, and he had more self-control than that, even now.

“I know how crazy this all sounds,” he mumbled, not looking up.

Cadance shifted on the couch until she was next to him, and then nestled her face against his arm and wrapped her arms tightly around his midsection. “I believe you.”

Shining Armor let out a long sigh, then leaned back into the couch, running his fingers through his wife’s hair. “I should have taken a picture of her or something. Just to have some kind of proof that I’m not insane.”

“Strange things happen in this world on occasion,” Cadance said, leaning forward to give him a peck on the cheek. “Sometimes there’s just not a good explanation for them.” With a giggle, she added, “Attitudes like that drive Twilight absolutely bonkers.”

“Twilight,” Shining Armor muttered, shaking his head. “How the hell are we supposed to protect her from something like this?”

Cadance bit her lip. “I don’t really know. I’m hoping we can convince her to go back home with your mom and dad, but you know how stubborn she can be if she sets her mind on something.”

“It’d be for the best, but I doubt it’d be easy. Yet at the same time…”

Shining Armor grimaced, then reached for the bottle and started pouring another drink. “I feel like such an asshole. What kind of cop just threatens and intimidates a teenage girl like that? If what she said is true, then I had no right dumping all of that crap on her. Talk about professionalism. I’m supposed to be one of the good guys…”

“Sweetheart,” Cadance said, reaching up to brush his hair away from his forehead. “You were rattled. It’s not every day someone encounters a ghost. What matters more is what you do going forward. If you happen to see her again, apologize. And something tells me we haven’t seen the last of Sunset Shimmer, whether Twilight sticks around or not.”

Shining Armor smiled, then leaned over to kiss his wife. “Why is it that everything you say reminds me how much I love you?”

Cadance grinned and tweaked him on the nose. “You’d better step up your game. I only get that feeling from you about half the time.”

Shining Armor laughed, then took a sip of his whiskey. It burned, but the feeling was more pleasant now than bitter. “Identical interdimensional counterparts,” he muttered, shaking his head. “Kids these days.”


Dear Sunset Shimmer,

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. It sounds like this is a serious issue, and I will do my best to advise and guide you through it. Unfortunately, I fear that what I can offer you will be of little help, and that the bulk of this will fall on your shoulders.

For starters, I think it would be best if I remained in Equestria for the time being. Beyond the fact that I’m rather busy here at home, it sounds like the other Twilight has enough on her plate dealing with your existence without me showing up and making everything twice as complicated.

I can’t really imagine what it must be like to lose someone so close to you at such a young age. Coupled with the lack of guidance from Princess Celestia, I really have no idea what kind of pony person this other Twilight is. I suggest you do your best to treat her as a unique individual, rather than just a reflection of me.

That being said, I think the approach you should take is probably somewhat similar, if a tad generic. She probably needs the magic of friendship more than I ever did. If she’s anything like I was before I met our friends, she’ll be a bit ornery and unlikeable at first, so you’ll have to be patient. With her added… issues on top of that, I suggest that you let her determine the pace she feels comfortable with. Make sure you convey this to the others as well; they can come on a bit strong at times.

If you’d like, (and you’re free to refuse if you want to keep it between us, I won’t judge) I’ll forward your situation to both my friends and/or Princess Celestia. They may be able to offer additional insight into the situation.

Good luck. I’ll be here to support you with whatever else you may need, should it be necessary. Just let me know and I’ll do whatever I can.

Your Friend,

Twilight Sparkle

P.S. When it comes to me, my brother can be a bit of a bullheaded nincompoop. Sorry.

“Thanks, Twilight,” Sunset muttered, closing the cover of their shared journal.

Yawning, she stretched backwards in her chair, the soft light of dawn filtering in through the blinds.

It was far earlier than she would prefer to be up on a Sunday morning, and her sleep had been restless besides, but she was no stranger to a lack of rest and could easily pull off a schedule like this for a few more days before it really started to drag her down.

Given the text message from Applejack waiting for her on her phone, she surmised that exactly such a future would be waiting for her.

“Twilight wants to meet you today. She’s very insistent about it.”

What was the other Twilight’s motivation, she had to wonder. Fear? Obsession? Closure? Scientific curiosity? Even as she was warned to treat the other Twilight like an independent entity from Princess Twilight, would she herself be treated as an incarnation of the other Sunset Shimmer?

There wasn’t much point in speculating about it. She’d know the answer soon enough. Princess Twilight was right; she had been so lucky to be offered forgiveness and friendship from her new friends. It was time for her to put all she had learned to the test and show the same to Twilight. Completing the cycle, or something symbolic like that.

“So why,” Sunset mumbled out loud, moving over to her dresser to pick out clothes for the day, “do I feel so uneasy about this whole thing?”

Hard questions rarely had easy answers.


Twilight had not, in fact, slept well, and the morning was a subdued affair. Shining Armor and Cadance droned on a bit about moving her back home, and they pushed her to talk to her therapist, but Twilight was mostly able to tune them out, giving only vague and noncommittal answers. After breakfast, she excused herself to her lab, saying she had important research she needed to do.

Which she did, of course: It was just that she wouldn’t be conducting it here; Applejack had agreed to get the girls together in the park around noon. So, once she had unpacked a few supplies she would need and moved them into her backpack, Twilight took Spike and left, cutting through the neighbors’ yard so her brother wouldn’t notice that she was missing right away. She’d get an earful for wandering off later, but she didn’t exactly care at the moment.

Applejack was waiting for her at the agreed meeting spot, alone.

“Hey,” Applejack mumbled, not willing to look her in the eyes.

Twilight could practically smell the pity oozing off of her. She knew.

It didn’t matter. She was here for business and her own peace of mind, not to make friends.

Applejack texted ahead and then led her to where the other four girls were sitting. They all looked at her with that same aggravating condescension that she had come to despise.

Twilight steeled her heart and her nerves and joined the girls at the table, then pulled the supplies from her backpack.

“Aww, hello there Spike!” Fluttershy cooed. “Can you speak, huh? Speak boy!”

Spike yipped and jumped around her legs, earning a giggle from Fluttershy. She had seemed dreadfully shy yesterday, but animals apparently brought out something else in her.

“So, where is she?” Twilight asked, setting a voice recorder down on the table and flicking it on. She pulled out a camera as well, and pointed it toward the other girls.

The girls shared a glance. “Uh, you really sure about this, Twilight?” Applejack asked, her voice cautious, like she was talking to a spooked deer. “We looked up what happened to you online, and I’m sorry if it’s an invasion of privacy and all, but I’m really not sure if this a good idea.”

Twilight did her best to keep her snarl internal. “I’m a grown woman, Miss Applejack. I’m perfectly capable of making decisions like this on my own.”

Applejack winced, then glanced towards Rarity for support.

“I can’t even imagine what you’re trying to make of all of this, Twilight, but I promise you that we’ll explain everything in full. It’s just, well, a lot to take in,” Rarity said, fidgeting in her seat.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Yeah yeah. Poor Twilight. Is anyone here even stopping to think about how Sunset feels about having to deal with this crap?”

Twilight almost cracked a smile at that, but kept her face a neutral mask. An interesting tidbit. Whatever incarnation of Sunset this was, she at least had the ability to feel.

“It’s okay, Dashie!” Pinkie Pie said, throwing her arms around her friend. “Sunset’s a big girl too, and she agreed to do this in spite of everything!” With a glance towards Twilight, she added, “I think the both of you are super brave!”

“Enough,” Twilight snapped. “I’m ready.” Raising her voice, she shouted, “Sunset Shimmer! Whoever or whatever you are, come out and face me.”

Applejack glanced towards a nearby tree and nodded. Sunset Shimmer stepped out from behind it.

As prepared as she was, as much as she had looked at those pictures last night, the reality of seeing Sunset again hit Twilight like a freight train. Every muscle in her body tensed up, her heart thundering and every instincts telling her to either run away screaming or to curl up into a ball and retreat into a reality of her own making.

She fought those instincts as hard as she could; she was a creature of rationality. Her fear was merely a strong biochemical response to a particular trauma stimulus. The adrenaline coursing through her veins was not the master of her body. She was.

The drugs she had taken earlier probably helped her keep calm too.

Shuddering, Twilight took a deep breath, closing her eyes and rubbing at her forehead. She was already sweating profusely from the mental effort.

“Alright, like I said, not a great idea,” Applejack said, waving her arm in a shooing gesture. “This just ain’t—”

“I’m fine,” Twilight growled, not looking up. “Just give me a minute, alright?”

Applejack grew silent, and Twilight reached into her bag to pull out a bottled water, and took several large drinks before putting it down and wiping her mouth. Finally, she made herself look up at Sunset Shimmer once again.

Sunset Shimmer stood near the tree, arms clasped across her stomach and biting her lip. The girl looked incredibly unsure, alone, and vulnerable. As much as a part of her mind wanted to reclassify the girl as some sort of terrifying apparition, as beautiful as she was deadly, she seemed to be staring at, for all intents and purposes, a regular teenage girl thrust into a situation that no one should ever have to deal with.

“I guess that makes two of us,” Twilight muttered under her breath. Clasping her shaking hands out in front of her she said, “Alright. Come over here.” Her voice didn’t even crack.

Sunset hesitantly made her way over and sat at the table opposite from Twilight. The others adjusted their positions, perhaps unconsciously, pulling back and forming something of a ring around the two, providing a sense of solitude.

Twilight met her eyes, and they were exactly that deep emerald she’d always known. An image flashed into her mind: those eyes, terrified, falling away from her.

She squeezed one of her bandaged fingers until it started to bleed again.

“Um… hi?” Sunset finally said, breaking the silence. It was a woman’s voice instead of that of a little girl's, but it was still unmistakably hers.

“Are you…” Twilight said. Her voice cracked, and she squeezed her eyes shut, swallowed, and tried again. “Are you human?”

Sunset blinked at that, staring at her for a few moments before breaking into a silent chuckle, smiling, and shaking her head. “That’s really what you open with? Sheesh.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes. “It’s a perfectly valid question, isn’t it? And it should be one easy enough to answer.”

“Yeah, well, about that,” Sunset said, resting her chin in her palm and drumming her fingers against the table. “Not exactly? It’s kind of complicated.”

“Go ahead and explain. I’ve got all day,” Twilight said, checking to make sure her devices were still recording. She was going to need proof of course, but providing externally verifiable documentation of these events was going to be crucial.

“Well,” Sunset began. “I’ll skip the gritty details of what and where for now, and get to the basics. I’m from a universe parallel to this one. Most people in this world seem to have a parallel counterpart there. I crossed over to this one for various reasons about four years ago. Until yesterday when we looked it up, I had no idea about the fate of this world’s Sunset Shimmer. I’m sorry.”

A pang of agony ripped through Twilight’s heart at those words. A faint part of her had been hoping that the Sunset before her was really, in some fashion… no. Even when confronted with the possibility of multiple dimensions and alternate counterparts, miracles like that didn’t exist.

At least some of her speculations had been pretty close to the mark.

“Do you have any proof of these claims?” Twilight asked, her voice wavering.

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “Other than the fact that I’m sitting right here in front of you? Actually yes, plenty.” Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out her phone and set it on the table between them. “When I said there’s alternate versions of most people here in my home universe, I mean it. That includes you. Due to… various reasons, the other version of you has visited Canterlot High in the past.”

Twilight’s mouth went dry as Sunset pulled up a picture and showed it to her. It was herself, with a cleaner haircut, a goofy looking dress, and lacking glasses, admittedly, but still clearly her. She seemed to be having fun with the six girls in front of her right now. Even as her eyes widened and her mind reeled, the others pulled out their phones and pulled up similar pictures.

“Sorry, Twi,” Applejack said, taking off her hat and bowing her head, “I didn’t mean to deceive you or nothing. We’re just kind of friends with the other you and stuff. Figured we might want to give you a fair shake as you are before dropping a bomb like this. Even before all this Sunset stuff.”

“Unless you’re all masters of Photoshop…”

“Only if by Photoshop you mean a pair of scissors!” Pinkie Pie interrupted, giggling.

Sunset’s cheeks colored, and she glared at Pinkie Pie. “I’m not good with technology, okay? The things you people never let me live down, I swear…”

“... I suppose I can accept this as sufficient proof of your claims—though I have every intention of studying these pictures further,” Twilight finished, her voice growing cold.

Twilight closed her eyes and clasped her hands in front of her again. This was a lot to process already. Sure, multiverse theory wasn’t exactly an uncommon hypothesis, but for another universe to actually be real, and accessible from their own world? A discovery like this… she could probably become the youngest Nobel Prize winner ever.

Even as she tried to be cold and calculating and focus on her science, the maelstrom of emotions within her refused to calm. She opened her eyes and looked back over Sunset, who met her gaze and gave her an uncertain smile. It was all too much.

Driven by some unknown instinct, Twilight’s hand shot out, and she grabbed ahold of Sunset’s wrist. The girl jumped slightly and twitched, but she didn’t pull away as she eyed her warily.

The person she was touching felt real and warm and alive.

She felt her eyes mist over slightly and bit off a curse, pulling her hand back. “Sorry about that, I just wanted to make sure you were…”

Twilight cradled her hand close to her chest, then turned away from the others. She tried her best to keep her voice steady. “You said you weren't human. What does that mean, exactly? Are you some sort of horrible cockroach in disguise or something?”

“Eugh,” Rarity said, shuddering. “Sunset, a cockroach? Could you even imagine?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” Fluttershy said, “I think it could be cute.”

“Not like we’ve ever seen what she really looks like,” Applejack said, grinning. “Might actually be one.”

“Sunset!” Pinkie Pie screamed, her eyes wide. “I’m so sorry, I set out roach motels all the time, especially when helping out at Sugarcube Corner because of health codes, but if I’ve actually been killing your people this entire time I’m so sorry! I had no idea!”

Sunset groaned, sinking her head into her hands. “Seriously? I am not a cockroach.”

“That’s exactly what a horrible cockroach alien would say,” Rainbow Dash said, sniggering.

Twilight felt herself smile, watching the six argue back and forth. Their banter felt so natural, even as insane as the subject matter was.

“Look,” Sunset growled, one hand plastered over Pinkie’s mouth as she continued to make muffled protests. “I’m a pony, okay? I’m from a dimension where the dominant species is magical talking ponies. When we cross over to this world, we’re transformed into a human as part of the process, and vice versa.”

“A pony.” Twilight jerked as if she had been slapped across the face. “You’re a... pony.”

“That’s what I said, isn’t it?” Sunset replied, blowing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

“So you’re like, what, an alicorn pony princess?”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “I’m afraid I’m just a regular unicorn. But the other you is actually an alicorn princess.”

Twilight stared at Sunset blankly, the silence quickly growing uncomfortable and stretching into what seemed like an eternity.

It was all too much. Something broke in her.

Twilight started laughing. First a snicker, then a giggle, then a guffaw, until she was howling with laughter, tears streaming down her face as she fell from the bench and began rolling around on the ground, cackling like a madwoman. She laughed until she didn’t have the breath to laugh anymore, and still she didn’t stop. She just curled up and lay there shaking with silent giggles.

If miracles did exist, they came from a place with an awfully twisted sense of humor.

Author's Note:

lol