• Published 11th Dec 2014
  • 2,318 Views, 49 Comments

Secrets - Final Sunlight



Everyone has secrets, yet some secrets can hurt others while trying to protect them. Other secrets can also offer salvation, though can be dangerous as well.

  • ...
7
 49
 2,318

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Greetings, my little ponies. Here is the start to a story of such epicness that it will blow your minds. Maybe. Maybe not. Anyways, enjoy the story dood!

“Are you sure that you don’t want to stay?” The annoying voice of her nurse asked as Sunset climbed from the now parked wheelchair. She wanted to walk out after finally getting the doctor to discharge her, but hospital regulations forbid it. Damned hospitals.

“Yes, I’m sure. Don’t worry, I have plenty of friends I can stay with when I need it.” Sunset assured the nurse, despite wanting to once again become a demon and turn the nuisance to ash. Three days with the nurse attending to her every need got tiresome really quickly, which was kind of messed up. She was always a bitch, that much was true, but she enjoyed forcing people to do her bidding. Ever since being admitted to the hospital she found that her tastes for having people to serve her had drastically changed.

‘Damn you Sparkle!’ Sunset spat mentally, as she stretched. The damned elements purged her of all those pesky dark emotions and thoughts giving her a second chance at life. Why the hell couldn’t it heal the physical side of her also?

“If you change your mind hun, just come back. I will do everything I can to make you comfortable. No person should go through this alone.” The nurse said softly, tearing up as she looked at the flame haired youth.

“I know that you are trying to help, but I’m ready for this. I probably deserve this for everything I’ve done.” Sunset told the nurse wistfully, meaning every word. She had been the school’s alpha bitch ruling by blackmail and worse. Not one person really liked her, not even Flash or her two cronies. Perhaps if she treated people nicer she may not have to face this alone.

“Don’t you dare say that! You are only sixteen years old, no matter what you think you did, there is no way in hell that you deserve this.” The nurse cried out in shock as a taxi pulled up in front of Sunset.

“Well, it’s been great, but my ride is here.” Sunset chirped, opening the door and threw the duffel bag she had been carrying into the car before climbing in after it. Anything else was useless as Sunset couldn’t hear the nurse with the door shut.

“Where to, Miss?” The driver asked, a man with a chiseled jaw line and dark shades asked. To Sunset, this man belonged on the front of a cheesy romance novel, not driving a cab. A part of her was tempted to ask if she could give him a special tip, but quickly pushed that thought out of her head. She may not have long to live, but she sure as hell wasn’t going to start sleeping around now. She was a virgin and she would die one. Sad? Maybe, but she refused to give herself to some stranger.

“Just drop me off at Canterlot Garden Estates.” Sunset said, her voice stiff making the man arch an eyebrow questioningly. “Just drive!”

Unlike what the name implied, Canterlot Garden Estates was not a lovely home or apartment complex. At one time it may have been, but now it was a run down apartment building that was probably closer to death than Sunset herself. The ride from the hospital to there went quickly as Sunset ignored the glances the man shot her way.

“You know, if you take a pic it may last longer.” Sunset snapped as she climbed from the cab. Pulling out her wallet from her duffel bag, Sunset pulled two twenty dollar bills out and threw them at the man.

“You know, you kind of stink.” The man grinned before pulling the door shut. Sunset stood there with her mouth moving for several moments as the cab barked its tires before taking off down the street.

“Screw you asshole! I do not STINK!” Sunset screamed after the cab. Just because she was in the hospital didn’t mean she avoided taking care of herself. She didn’t get to use her normal soaps and lotions, but the hospital supplied some. Sniffing herself again to make sure she admitted that she did smell funny, but it was because of the medicated scent of the soaps and shampoo instead of her normal fruity scented ones.

“That’s no way to talk to your elders, Sunset Shimmer.” A cold voice said from behind her turning the blood in Sunset’s veins to freeze. Slowly turning around, shouldering the strap while hiding the wince of pain it caused, she looked up to see the angry visage of Principal Celestia.

“Principal Celestia! Fancy meeting you here.” Sunset giggled nervously, as she shifting her weight back and forth.

“Save it Shimmer.” Celestia said as she crinkled her nose, as if smelling something unpleasant. What the hell was wrong with everyone today? First the rude taxi driver telling her flat out that she stunk, and now her principal acting as if she smelled bad. The angry look on Celestia’s face melted away leaving behind concern for the younger girl. “Are you okay? You look a little sick.”

“As if anyone really gives a damn!” Sunset snapped out before she could help herself. Yeah she was pissed off, who wouldn’t be after learning that they only had a couple weeks to live at most? Yet she also accepted it at the same time, there was no getting back home to Equestria in time to help her. She kept reminding herself that it was probably punishment for all the pain she caused others.

“There is no need for that attitude young lady, there are plenty of people who care for you.” Celestia sighed as she looked directly into Sunset’s eyes. The quick flash of green made Sunset take a step back before forcing herself to calm down. It was probably a side effect of the pain killers she was on.

“Yeah, Sparkle’s friends? Get real, they are only being nice because the princess asked them to. Do you honestly think they give a damn about me?” Sunset asked, her voice rising higher and higher as she went on. “They don’t give two shits about me, and you know what, I don’t care. I’ll be out of everyone’s way in less that a couple weeks. I’m sure the whole school will be happy when I’m long gone.”

“Sunset, please, tell me what’s wrong.” Celestia asked softly, reaching a hand out to gently squeeze Sunset’s shoulder as the girl trembled while hugging herself.

“I have cancer, they told me I have at most two weeks.” Sunset sobbed out as she threw herself into Celestia’s arms. The older woman sighed as she held the crying student, unsure of what to do. She really liked Sunset Shimmer, always going easy on the teen as there was so much potential there waiting to come out. Time and time again Celestia tried her best to coax it out of the girl, but it was a difficult process at best.

Maybe there was a chance for the girl, but she would have to look into them first. The first option that came in mind could cause more trouble than it was worth, and may actually get the girl killed quicker if the elders found out. It was a dangerous thing and broke one of the two most important rules that Celestia lived by. It was something that could not be taken lightly, no matter how much she cared for this girl. Of course there was also the problem of Sunset not being of this world which may cause complications to the most likely option.

“Isn’t there anything they can do?” Celestia whispered into the girl’s hair.

“No, they said it was too advanced. They said pancreatic cancer was one of the worse and it’s too late for surgery.” Sunset cried, “Damn you. Damn YOU! Why did you have to show up here? I had it under control!”

“Come on, let’s get you inside. I think you can miss a day of school.” Celestia said, but Sunset pulled back and hugged herself again.

“No. I’m not a coward. I’m not going to run away from this and let it disrupt my life.” Sunset declared, forcing the despair back down and covered it with the cold, uncaring mask she was trying to maintain before Celestia showed up. “Besides, I have to take care of some things at school.”

“Are you sure, maybe you should just relax?” Celestia said uncertainly. She had seen plenty of people die before, but for some reason she felt a connection to this girl that was unexplainable.

“I’m sure, I know I’m going to be late, but do you think you could wait and give me a ride?” Sunset asked hopefully, “I want to wash this hospital scent off me; I can’t believe two people think I stink.”

Celestia shook her head, how could she tell Sunset that the stench she was smelling wasn’t coming from the soaps and shampoos, or whatever else she had used. It was coming from whatever unnatural medications that she must have been pumped full of. “Of course I’ll wait, and I’ll even make sure that your teachers know that you are to be excused for your absences.”

“Whatever.” Sunset grumbled, shifting the bag on her shoulder before brushing past Celestia. “Coming?”