• Published 15th Dec 2014
  • 3,044 Views, 62 Comments

The Secret of Harmony - Brassboy212



Tirek has escaped again, and now he's got an army of his own! Equestria reaches out to others for help and Twilight seeks to find the true meaning of harmony!

  • ...
12
 62
 3,044

Chapter 9: Six Hatchets Exhumed

Footnotes are numbers inside parentheses. Example: (1)

Celestia's sun had barely risen over the horizon when Capt. Midnight Blossom and a small company of her uninjured night guards returned to the castle with a few sacks of berries, flowers, and leaves. The armies only had so much food to ration, so soldiers had to venture out into the Everfree Forest to forage for anything else they could eat. The Mane 5 and Spike watched with sadness as all the soldiers were given a small amount of food on their plates. The six of them didn't want to derive the soldiers of food, so they chose not to take a spot in the hunger line. Besides, they were running late for the meeting anyway.

Ponies say a good night sleep almost always makes one feel better the morning after a bad day. In the case of the Equestria's higher-ups...well, the 'almost' part of that saying is there for a reason. Despite everypony in the castle getting a few hours of sleep, the continued feelings of fear and confusion didn't make their sleep that satisfying. When the six entered the meeting room, they saw that it was once again filled with bickering. The bickering was coming from the four princesses, Discord, Capt. Flash Sentry, Capt. Midnight Blossom, and Gen. Diamond Shield.

Shining Armor rushed up to Twilight's friends. Until they came along, he was the only one not contributing to the arguments.

"Oh, Spike! Girls!" he said slightly relieved in his panicked state. "Thank goodness you're here! You gotta help me, I can't seem to be getting through to any of them. They're either talking before I can get a word in or they're shrugging off everything I say!"

"Don't worry, Shining Armor." reassured Applejack. "We'll do our best to help sort things out."

Unbeknownst to the heroes, they weren't the only ones starting the day off with a meeting.


The large doors to Tirek's throne room of Midnight Castle creaked as a pair of Draconic Guard members pushed them open. The two reptilian soldiers knelt before the small group that entered the dimly lit room. The group consisted of the five duplicates, Twivine Sparkle, Searing Nova, Starless Night, Shattered Heart, and Havoc who were joined by the dragon ruler, Emperor Spine. Spine had used a spell to decrease his actual size in order to fit into the room without causing damage. He was now the same height as Havoc.

They walked toward a long rectangular table that was placed more than 10 feet away from the small staircase leading up to Tirek's throne. 13 tall chairs were set around the table; six on both long ends and the thirteenth being at the end opposite to the throne. The centaur's throne acted as his own chair while all the other guests sat around the table.

"Looks like we're getting some new members." said Twivine noticing the number of chairs.

"How do you know that?" asked Havoc.

"Master Tirek sent me a message earlier stating that he was heading out again after dropping off Iron Skull at the castle." answered Spine. "Plus there's six extra seats at the table. It's pretty obvious."

"More members? You'd think after getting Iron Skull we'd have enough already."

"Who knows?" assumed Twivine. "Maybe he was able to find a few more alicorns to join."

Searing Nova laughed at the thought. "Oh, now that I'd like to see!"

Shattered Heart gave a sigh of annoyance. "Give it a rest, you two. I don't care who's joining us or what they are. Let's just get this meeting over with."

A couple minutes later, the doors opened yet again and this time, Tirek stood in the doorway. Spine and the duplicates bowed to him as he walked towards his throne.

"Good morning, my friends." he said while making himself comfortable in his throne. "If you'd all take your seats, we can get down to business."

The six took their seats. Havoc was seated in the chair closest to Tirek's right, followed by Searing Nova, then Starless Night. To Tirek's left, Spine sat the closest followed by Shattered Heart, and finally, Twivine Sparkle. The remaining six side chairs and the chair on the end were left empty.

Tirek smiled. "Alright." he said. "As you can probably tell by the extra chairs, we have some new members joining us. I am well aware that all six of you and Iron Skull possess a great amount of power, but nevertheless, these additional members are required in order for my plan to succeed." Tirek looked up to the two draconic guards at the door. "Are they all here?" He asked them.

One of the guards cracked open the door slightly and peaked through. "Yes, my lord." he said.

"Good. Send them in." he looked back down at the seated six. "I should point out that you may recognize some of these newcomers; some more than others."

Spine and the duplicates turned their heads toward the doors.

When the doors fully opened to reveal these new members, Twivine's mood shifted from slight anticipation to sheer disappointment.

"You've got to be kidding me!" she said out loud.

Leading the group was a large minotaur. He had blue fur all over his body from the waist up and navy fur from the waist down. His short cow tail shared the same color as the fur on his muscular upper body while the tip was the same shade of navy. Even his big grey horns had a bluish tinge to them. Between the horns was a short navy blue Mohawk. A large silver nose-ring was protruding from his pink hairless nose. All he was wearing was a small black tie which was wrapped around his neck and what looked like a small headset microphone placed in his right ear. He squinted his yellow eyes as he looked at Spine and the duplicates and took the last seat on Tirek's right.

Slowly flying behind the minotaur was a young light turquoise pegasus mare; around the same age group as the Mane 6. Her brilliant gamboge eyes matched perfectly with the amber and gold in her mane and tail which were brushed back as if they had been forced back by constant exposure to strong winds against her face. The cutie mark on her flank was a lightning bolt with three small stars beneath it. She took the last chair on Tirek's left; directly across from the minotaur.

The remaining four members of the group were all unicorns.

The first two were adult male identical twins. Both of them had a tall and slender physique with pale, almost light olive, coats, pistachio green eyes, and red manes and tails with white stripes. They were both dressed in matching blue and white striped vests with brass buttons as well as black bowties and straw boater hats.

There were only a few slight differences that set the twins apart. One of them had a red handlebar mustache and his mane and tail were slightly less curlier than his twin's. Another difference was in their cutie marks. Both of them had red apple cutie marks, however, one of them had only a slice of an apple while his mustachioed twin had a whole apple that looked like a slice had been taken out of it. The two looked nervously at Starless Night as they sat next to each other in the last two open chairs on Tirek's right which were between the minotaur and Starless Night.

Twivine was especially disgusted by the sight of the remaining two unicorns.

The third was a light purple, almost pink, unicorn mare; also around the same age group as the Mane 6. A strip of teal slightly lighter than the aqua one in Twivine's mane and tail complimented her long, well-brushed purple mane and tail as well as her Persian blue eyes. Her cutie mark was small purple and white star with two teal glimmering streams coming off of it. A soft "You!" was heard from under her breath as she glared at Twivine with an equal amount of resentment and sat in the chair next to the pegasus mare. It wasn't the chair furthest away from the plundervine mistress, but as long as it wasn't next to her, the unicorn didn't care.

The fourth unicorn and the last member of the group was a bit more recognizable among the four princess duplicates. He was a dashing white unicorn stallion with a blonde mane and tail that looked like it was professionally groomed. His cutie mark was that of a steel-blue and gold compass rose.

Twivine cringed as he put on a flirtatious smirk when his sky blue eyes met with hers. She was about to voice a complaint when the stallion smoothly sauntered over to the chair between her and the unicorn mare, but realizing it was the only available chair left, she, yet very reluctantly, chose to hold her tongue.

After the newcomers were seated, Tirek spoke. "Now, just to be sure we're all on the same page here, let us take a moment for introductions. I'll go first. My name is Lord Tirek and I'm the sole reason you are all here instead of wasting away somewhere else in this accursed kingdom...You're welcome. The four alicorns sitting with you are Searing Nova, Starless Night, Shattered Heart, and Twivine Sparkle and the draconequis is Havoc. They are the most powerful forces in my arsenal. I don't think it should be too hard for you newbies to figure out who is who. Now onto the rest of you! I want to get right down to business, so just stick with your names for now. You can jabber about your motivations or whatever later on."

"Hey!" protested Twivine. "How come we don't get to introduce ourselves?!"

Havoc rolled his eyes. "Because the author already gave us that grandiose introduction back in chapter two and the readers already know who we are. We don't need to go through it again."

"Author? Chapter? Readers? What are you...oh forget it." Twivine decided not to waste her time overthinking Havoc's bizarre answer.

"I suppose I'll go first." said Spine. "Emperor Spine. Lord of all dragons and ruler of the Dragon Lands. Cross me or Master Tirek and I'll turn you into a chew toy for my Draconic Guard!"

The minotaur slammed the table with his hands as he rose out of his chair. "Iron Will's the name, assertiveness is the game!" he shouted. "Iron Will's assertiveness techniques are guaranteed to turn doormats into dynamos!"

The pegasus' ears rang from Iron Will's shouting echoed by the room which caused her to cringe. "And guaranteed to blow out any pony's eardrums in a 500 yard radius." She said. "Anyway, name's Lightning Dust. Former Wonderbolt and one of the fastest flyers in Equestria."

"Probably not as fast as that Dashie girl," Havoc mumbled loudly.

"I heard that, you freak!"

Havoc smirked. "Good."

The unicorn twins jumped in the second Lightning Dust was done talking.

"He's Flim!" said the mustachioed unicorn brightly while pointing to his respective twin.

"He's Flam!" replied the twin with equal pizazz while pointing to his brotherly introducer.

"Flam I am!" Flam tipped his hat.

"Flim says him!" Flim did the same.

"And we are..." the twins said at once "The world famous Flim Flam Brothers! The greatest sales ponies nonpareil in all of Equestria!!"

"My brother and I have sold our illustrious goods in every corner of this kingdom." continued Flim. "And each one of our customers--"

They were interrupted the unicorn mare. "Have seen you two for the tactless con-artists you are. How about sparing us your peddler act and let's move on."

"I can assure you madam" replied Flam "that our business is far more sophisticated than that of mere peddling."

"QUIET!!!" the mare roared angrily.

Deeply startled, the twins did just that.

"Thank you." she said, instantly calming down. "Now, I'm Starlight Glimmer. I'm not really sure how well this is all going to go, but knowing one of my teammates is a recolor of my least favorite pony, it's not looking very good at the moment."

"Who are you calling 'recolor', you hack!" Twivine snapped.

"You heard me. You look like something out of Hot Topic." Starlight replied. (1)

"Care to say that to my face, peasant?!"

"If you lovely ladies are done" said the white unicorn stallion cutting in. "I am Prince Blueblood, nephew of THE Princess Celestia, and the stallion of the highest caliber in Canterlot. I could buy and sell you commoners tomorrow."

"Make us an offer." Flam replied smugly, almost sounding like he was daring the prince.

"Alright, knock it off." said Tirek.

Silence fell over the room once again.

Searing Nova was the first to speak up. "So, you mean these are our new members?" she asked.

"Ridiculous." commented Havoc. "When you said we were getting new additions I assumed you meant creatures with real power. These are just a bunch of nobodies."

"We don't see what all the fuss is about. What's so great about them?" said Starless Night.

"I wouldn't underestimate these so-called 'nobodies'." said Tirek. "Some of you may remember that others once made the same mistake. They're rivals of the element bearers whose unique talents have given those six a real run for their money. I believe their skills could prove useful in carrying out my plans which is why I have offered them to join me."

"Just remember" reminded Starlight. "you promised to help us with our personal goals if we agreed to go with you. We expect you to keep your end of the bargain."

"Don't you worry about a thing."

"So what is it about this plan of yours that required you to recruit these guys?" Twivine asked.

"I shall allow the last of our newest members to answer that." Tirek rose up out his throne. "I don't think I need an introduction for this one considering how some of you may know him either from history or from more...personal experiences." he gave a quick glance to Searing Nova. "Please welcome the commander of our army, the reenlisted, Prince Iron Skull!"

Right on beat, the doors swung open and the alicorn prince walked into the room. He still appeared to be in his 30s thanks to the effects of the aging spell. His mane, tail, and mustached were now properly groomed and trimmed compared to how he was back in Tartarus.

He was dressed in the iconic uniform of the Schutzstaffel, or SS for short, the police force of Nazi Germania and one of the most feared military police forces in history. The uniform was made up of a black wool military jacket over a white dress shirt and a black necktie. On each of the upper lapels of his jacket were matching insignias depicting three oak leaves inside a u-shaped laurel branch; the rank insignia of the 'Reichsführer', or head of the SS. Draped over the back half of his body was a rusty red officer's cape. On the right of his jacket was a silver three bar chevron on the sleeve, a silver rectangular epaulette with three metallic oak leaves in the middle on his shoulder, and a silver military lanyard hanging across his right breast. On the left of his jacket was a bold red armband just above his elbow with his cutie mark imprinted inside a white circle. Pinned above the left breast pocket of his jacket was an Iron Cross 2nd Class medal. On his head was a black military visor cap with his cutie mark imprinted just about the brim. Strapped to his side was his Hitler Youth dagger as well as a black officer's sword with the SS insignia on the handle.

Tirek smirked. "Right on time. Excellent." he took a look at the fully dressed stallion. "So, how does it feel to be back in uniform?"

"It feels vonderful!" the prince replied relishing in nostalgia. "I've vorn zose rags in Tartarus for so long zat I forgot vat it felt like to get all dresset up!" he took a glance at the newest additions to the table. "So, you must be zee newcomers. Pleasure to meet you all. Now, to explain zee plan zat Herr Tirek and I hafe put togezer."

Iron Skull flicked a switch on the side of the table and a holographic map of Equestria appeared. As the alicorn prepared to start, his examinations of the map kept getting stalled by him having to strain his eye with the scar over it.

"What's the matter?" Tirek asked.

"I vore a monocle back ven I vas zis age because of mein one bat eye." Iron Skull answered. "Guess I neet it again." he dug into one of the side pockets of his black coat, pulled out the aforementioned monocle, and placed on the eye.

With his improved vision, he got a better look at his teammates at the table. Everyone except for the duplicates and Spine had a slight look of disbelief, confusion, and shock on their faces.

Iron Skull was unsure by the looks of his teammates. "Vat? Vy are you lookink at me like zat?" after a moment, he thought he had an idea as to why they had such looks. "I know, I know, zee monocle makes me look like a 'Chadow Shpade' fillain, but normal glasses can't vork for mee because mein fision's bad in just zis eye."

"No...it's not that..." replied Starlight hesitantly. "It's just...how...how are you alive?"

Iron Skull cocked an eyebrow. "Fräuline, I don't sink a shtallion shtill beink alife in his nineties is ZAT surprisink."

"No...I mean...you're s-supposed to--"

"Starlight!" interrupted Tirek, almost like he was trying to stop the mare from saying something important. "If you don't mind, I think it would be prudent if you allowed Iron Skull to give his presentation."

"Ah yes, of course." agreed the alicorn prince. "Let us begin." he focused his magic on the map. "To shtart, our enemies hafe retreatet to zee ruins of zee Cashtle of zee Two Sishters here in zee Eferfree Foresht."

A tiny blue flag appeared over the castle's location on the map.

"Zee plan is to box zem in so zat zey can't get out and nothink in zee surroundink areas can't give zem support." Iron Skull continued. "To do zis, vee vill execute a huge military occupation in all zee populatet cities arount zee shtrongholt. Hopefully, zis vill urge zem to come out of hidink unpreparet vich vill give us a greater chance of victory."

Several tiny black flags appeared over all the remaining cities and towns in Equestria.

"To better manage our control of zis large territory, vee vill divide zee map into four vith Midnight Cashtle as zee central point."

Four black lines grew out from the said central point and, like the prince said, divided the land into four parts.

"Zat is vere you six come in. Vee vill give each of you an army of foot soldiers und commant ofer one of zese four divisions in zee occupation. Zink of it as your own little kingdom. Fräuline Shtarlight, you vill be in charge of zee eashtern division. I vas tolt you once ran a town of some sorts in zat area, so you chould do vell zere."

"Yes." replied Starlight. "I appreciate you taking that into account."

"Herr Bluebloot, you vill take zee norzern division. It has zee Cryshtal Empire, so I vould suggesht setting up base zere."

"Of course." said Blueblood. "I'm not surprised you would give me the more lavish division of the bunch."

"Flim und Flam, you two vill take zee veshtern division."

"Now hold on just a minute." protested Flim. "We were told that in exchange for our service we would be paid handsomely. Right brother?"

"Indeed, brother of mine." replied Flam. "Unless we have some assurance that this gig will be meeting your end of the bargin, we aren't going anywhere!"

"Perhaps I forgot to mention..." Iron Skull pointed to a certain spot in the division. "Zee vest division includes Los Pegasus."

"When do we head out again?" asked the two brothers suddenly sounding on board with the operation.

"Zat's more like it. Anyvays, Iron Vill you vill take zee south division. I sought someone like you voult do vell in a more open area."

"With Iron Will's assertiveness, no pony will be causing any trouble there!" exclaimed the minotaur.

"So what about me? What do I get?" asked Lightning Dust knowing that all the divisions were taken.

"You vill be in charge of ariel troops to keep zee skies occupiet."

"Oh, well I guess that makes sense."

"The duplicates, Spine, and I will be providing your soldiers which we will show to you now." said Tirek.

Tirek snapped his fingers and the two door guards pulled the doors open. In marched a humanoid reptilian looking soldier with pale blue skin. He was plated with dark green armor and wielded a gold two-pronged spear. His head looked like a grotesque cross between a lizard and a warthog with its bottom tusked fangs, yellow slit-pupil eyes, and bright pink nose (2).

"This creature is from my race of reptilian guards that served me way back when. They're mindless brutes, but when commanded correctly, they will prove useful in carrying out my orders. Spine will provide you with dragons and members of his draconic guard."

"My subjects will serve you well." said Spine. "But keep in mind, they hold a deeper loyalty to Master Tirek and I than you creatures. So if you don't want them turning against you and ripping you to shreds, I would suggest not getting on my bad side."

Twivine's soldiers were masses of sentient plundervines shaped like small alicorns. Some members of the group found them very reminiscent of the changelings. Their mouths were lined with sharp blue thorns and were capable of utilizing flight and magic as well as their mistress' powers of vine manipulation and poison breath.

Searing Nova's soldiers were equine and golem shaped creatures made out of burning rock. These creatures, especially the golems, were possessed with great strength and the ability to conjure up fire and lava.

The soldiers of Starless Night appeared to look like equines cloaked in shadows, but on closer inspection were shape shifters that could transform into an unfortunate enemy's worst nightmare.

Havoc's soldiers looked like he had taken a bunch of objects from around the castle and brought them to life. "This is just a small sample of what I can provide." he said. "I can give life to weapons, furniture, even the tiles on this floor can be made to serve you."

The only one who didn't have an army to present was Shattered Heart. "I don't have time to worry about the well-being of a bunch of little underlings. If we must have these soldiers, the ones here are satisfactory."

Tirek rolled his eyes. "Very well. But don't expect to get away with excuses like that all the time, Shattered Heart. Alright, now with that taken care of, you are all dismissed. Get yourselves settled in and report back here in one hour."

Every creature at the table bowed before going their own ways.

Searing Nova walked over to Iron Skull who was still getting his things on the table together. She pulled out a carton of cigarettes and tapped then on the table getting the prince's attention. "You know, I couldn't help but notice not many of us were very welcoming. Thought I'd pop over and fix that."

"Oh. Fräuline Nova. Sanks for zee cigarettes." he pulled one from the carton and took a puff as the mare lit it. "It's been a long time since I've hat a smoke."

"Glad you like them." replied Nova. She pulled up one of the chairs and sat down relatively close to Iron Skull. She had a charming look on her face. "I don't know if any pony's ever told you this, but you make quite a handsome stallion in that uniform of yours." she said almost seductively. "Pity it's taken so long for me to notice it. Even when you were a colt you such a dashing lad in uniform."

Iron Skull appreciated the compliment but was confused by how she was talking. "Vhy are you actink like you've known me for years? We just met each other like...Oh, I see vat's going on here. You're tryink to make me sink you und Celeshtia are one in zee same. Vell, let me tell you mein frient, you may look like her and even sount just like her, but I know for a fact zat you are not zee Celeshtia I know."

"Your real name is Ferdinand von Kaiser. When you were eleven-years-old, you and your family met me at the '36 Equestria Games."

"Oh, goink to zee '36 Games vas zee BESHT! How dit you know zat?"

"I'm a part of Celestia. I know everything she knows up until my creation. You're not wrong if you thought you were talking to the actual Princess Celestia. Because appearances aside, this body is exactly like Celestia's. The muscles retain all her experience and the mind retains all of her memories. They're accessible to my use!"

"Incredible."

"Are you heading to your quarters? If so I can walk you there."

The prince blushed a little bit. "Uh...yes. Lets...get goink."

Meanwhile Blueblood had caught up with Twivine and decided to make a move on her. "I hope I'm not out of order for saying this, but this look of yours is even more attractive than Twilight's."

Twivine turned her head unimpressed by Blueblood's flirt.

"Maybe I can get you into one of the palace's nicer quarters. I've been living here for years; I know where all the good spots are."

"I don't need your help." replied a still unimpressed Twivine. "I've got the Celestial guest suite."

"Well, I think you're a little mistaken, my dear. You see, the Celestial guest suite is MY room."

"Not anymore."

Suddenly realizing his place in one of the best rooms in the castle was in jeopardy, he frantically pulled over one of the draconic guards. "GUARD! Where's all my stuff?!"

The guard exchanged a look at Twivine and the two smirked. "We've put you in a very nice...junior suite on the second floor."

Blueblood's heart sank. "Junior suite?" he looked at Twivine with a heartbroken look on his face.

Twivine just smiled. "Something you should know about me...I always get what I want."

Author's Note:

NEXT CHAPTER: Tensions among the protagonists reach their climax.

The protagonists will take up the majority of the next chapter. I was originally going to include it all in one chapter, but then I realized it would take too long and would be better to have this chapter featuring the bad guys and the other, good. Plus I thought it would be better if the specifics of Tirek's plan were explained in a meeting among allies rather than cutting it off at Iron Skull's line "Let's begin" and then reveal the plan in a talk between the goodies and baddies thus avoiding the classic villain mistake of "explaining their plan to the good guys".

Sorry again for taking so long. As stated in one of my blogs, I've been busy lately as well as sidetracked with future MLP fic projects. It also didn't help that this chapter was another one that had a lot of content. Thank you all so much for your patience and support! You guys are awesome!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYPONY!! I LOVE YOU ALL!!

Author's Notes

1. To DashieMLPFiM, Twivine's creator: Don't take this jab at your OC too seriously. In reality, I love Twivine's design. Heck, she might even be my favorite "evil double" type OC in the community

2. Tirek's soldiers are based off the ones he had back in his Generation 1 appearance.

Comments ( 10 )

Finding good Blueblood stories is getting harder and harder.:facehoof:

7841580 Well I hope you consider this as one of those hidden gems...

I was hoping for a more cunning and competent BlueBlood.

7841851 He'll get some interesting parts here and there later on in the story. I respect your opinion, but to be fair, he was just introduced so it might be a little early to analyze him.

Okay Twivine snapping back at BlueBlood when he flirted with her was amazing!!!! I was like "Geeeet dunked on!!"

7844221 I had a feeling some people would like that part. :moustache:

I got the idea for the scene when I remembered seeing Twilight and Blueblood shipped together here and there. So I thought this would make for a nice subtle jab at the pairing.

Is this story cancelled? :fluttershysad:

9595773
Not canceled. Just been busy for quite a while and haven't been able to work on it.

Login or register to comment