• Published 24th Mar 2015
  • 10,445 Views, 637 Comments

Changelings: Gotta Love 'em All - Ausbrony



After failing to enslave Equestria, Queen Chrysalis searches for a new way to feed her children. Perhaps it’s time for a change... of dimension.

  • ...
27
 637
 10,445

Chapter Three

Author's Note:

This chapter is now edited and shiny an stuff. Please enjoy this new and improved version.

Adrien wasn’t sure how much time had passed since he started teaching the bespectacled Changeling about his Pokédex. There was just so much to go over: the search feature, the region map, different Types of Pokémon—even then, those things were all just basics of being a Pokémon Trainer. It didn’t help that Adrien couldn’t be certain if the Changeling even understood him… but at least the angry female and that Chrysalis hadn’t come back yet.

They were just a little scary. Perhaps the females of this new species were all generally intimidating? This one seemed far more docile than the others, more level-headed; Adrien wondered what the professor would think about it.

While the Changeling kept its attention on the device in his hand, Adrien glanced at his bag, his belt draped over it with his Pokéballs and snacks inside. Could he chance trying to convince the curious Changeling to let him give it a more practical demonstration of Pokémon abilities, or would it misread his intentions and immediately flee to report to its queen?

He looked back at the Changeling, suddenly feeling nervous; it had stopped scrolling through his pages, pausing to furrow its brow and squint closer at the Blitzle currently on screen.

Adrien cleared his throat, deciding to try his luck. “Hey, uh, you know, if you give me back my bag, you might learn things a bit faster.”

The Changeling’s eyes flicked up from the Electrified Pokémon.

“I can show you some of those Pokémon for real.”


Scribe couldn’t believe the sheer amount of knowledge that was held in this so-called ‘book’, this ‘Pokédex’. How could such a small, portable device contain an entire library’s worth of information inside it, complete with a working index that instantly sourced the requested information? It was like no magic he had ever seen.

Admittedly, these ‘Pokémon’ seemed like such fascinating creatures; and now that he’d learned just a little about them, he could see why this creature had mistaken the hive for some kind of Pokémon species.

But what was this one? Intrigued, he looked closer. It might have been easy to call it a pony, were it not for the odd colour palette or coat and mane style. Some of these Pokémon resembled rats, rabbits, bears, fish, birds, and even dragons.

The possibility came to him. This ‘Blitzle’ Pokémon was the closest thing to a pony yet. His hoof lingered over the search by body type option—

“Hey, uh, you know, if you give me back my stuff, you might learn things a bit faster.”

Scribe’s ears perked up. Maintaining his frown, he peered up over the Pokédex’s top screen.

“I can show you some of those Pokémon for real.”

Scribe looked over at the bag. This might easily be a ploy. How could there be real, living Pokémon inside the boy’s bag? Were they perhaps a lot smaller than he thought? No, that couldn’t be right. The Pokédex had clear silhouette comparisons with a supposedly average-sized human, and they appeared to range in size from fitting in one’s hand to standing taller than a house.

But did the Pokédex itself not contain an unprecedented wealth of compressed information within it? What was to say the boy’s bag or belt would be any different? If the boy spoke truth, Scribe had the chance to see one of these Pokémon up close. Only, that meant defying the queen, and if he allowed the boy to escape under his watch…

Scribe sighed and ignited his horn. There’s only one way to find out. The bag and belt floated back over to the boy, who let the items fall back into his hands. Scribe kept his horn lit though, even after releasing the items. With a glare at the boy, he tapped the base of his horn, and the boy also glowed green for a split second before the aura faded.

The boy gulped and nodded. Good.

Scribe flipped the Pokédex lid shut and watched the boy extract a single small red-and-white sphere from his belt.


Adrien almost couldn’t believe his luck. The Changeling had actually given his Pokéballs back, along with the rest of his stuff! He reached for the ball in the first holster, carefully plucking it out and setting it down in front of him.

“Just hold on a sec, okay? I wanna check my bag to see if anything’s damaged.”

With the Changeling’s eyes on the loose ball, Adrien opened the smaller bag he kept on the back of his belt. His eyes widened when he noticed a familiar box. Of course!

“And now I feel like a moron,” he muttered as he took out the JeJaMe translator device that Professor Oak had given him, and showed it to his newest friend.

“If this thing works, I should be able to understand you,” he explained as he turned the device over in his hands. It didn’t seem to have anything aside from the antenna and a single button. Seemed simple enough. He slipped the device over his right ear and extended the antenna, then pressed the button.

“Testing, testing.” Tiny bit of static fuzz, but I’ll deal. He looked at the Changeling. “Okay, say something.”

The Changeling just stared blankly and blinked slowly. “Like what?” he finally asked, tilting his head slightly.

“Perfect!” Adrien beamed and punched the air. He’d had his doubts about the device, as it wasn’t the first time that a company had claimed they could translate PokéSpeak. “Uh, I guess I should ask, since I still don’t really know anything about you… do you have a name?”

“I am Scribe of the Changelings, right-hoof record keeper to Queen Chrysalis.”

“Wow, this really does work! Awesome!” Adrien punched the air again. “I’m Adrien, a Pokémon trainer. Aw, yes—I’m so happy we can actually talk now without that Chrysalis having to translate for us.”

Scribe’s face darkened as that aura surrounded his horn, and the cavern walls were painted green. “That Chrysalis?”

Adrien waved his hands in front of him. “Oh no, I just meant—”

That Chrysalis happens to be our queen and my mother. So you will watch your tongue and address her as such, or you shall find that tongue torn from your mouth!”

Adrien’s eyes widened and he gulped loudly. “S-Sure, okay. I’m really sorry about that.” Jeez, and I thought he was a Calm one for a moment.

Scribe nodded, the aura vanishing. “Good. See that it doesn’t happen again.” He floated the Pokédex back over and looked at it with a curious expression. “Now that we have an understanding, literal and otherwise, tell me more about this object. How does it work? What kind of spell powers it? Where would I obtain one for myself—”

“Hold up, there, buddy.” Adrien pushed an open palm out toward Scribe. “Okay, look. One, I don’t really know all that much about the technology itself. It’s basically an electronic encyclopedia of all known species of Pokémon. Two, it's powered by a rechargeable micro-lithium battery, I think. It keeps about forty-eight hours of constant use, or around two weeks in standby mode. Three, getting one…” He stopped and hummed to himself. “I’ve actually never heard of a Pokémon getting its own Pokédex before. They’re only given out to aspiring trainers.”

Scribe frowned, clicking his tongue. “You keep saying that, calling us ‘Pokémon’. We are not like these creatures in your fancy encyclopedia. We are Changelings!”

“Well, aside from humans, the only other creatures that have intelligence are Pokémon,” Adrien countered, adding a little bite to his tone. “I mean, you talk by repeating your name, like a Pokémon. You have strange powers, like a Pokémon—”

“We have magic.” Scribe cut Adrien off, lighting his horn again. “And as for speaking only our species name for some reason, which has never happened before today…” He shook his head when his horn began to flicker. “Urgh.” He tapped his chin. “Though our magic has been acting up since we got here…”

Adrien leaned forward and raised an eyebrow. “How so?”

Scribe scoffed. “As if your minotaur brain could comprehend it,” he said, closing the Pokédex and sighing. “But, if you must know, some of the others have been displaying strange new magicks. The Queen worries they could accidentally cause harm to each other.”

Adrien nodded and closed his eyes. If what had been said so far was true—that they really were visitors from another world, developing Pokémon powers—then, it could be that these ‘strange magicks’ as he put it were really—

A not-so-distant explosion rocked the room, shaking loose dust and stones from the ceiling; Adrien’s train of thought derailed.

“Not again,” Scribe muttered as he turned toward the central chamber. “Wait here while I go and see what exploded this time. Don’t try anything foolish, like leaving this chamber.” He exited the area, Adrien’s Pokédex still in his possession.

Adrien looked at his belt. No, screw what Scribe said. If these Changelings were developing powers they didn’t understand, then he’d need something to defend himself—and possibly defend them from themselves, too. He slung the bag over his shoulders and fastened his belt, remembering to grab the single ball left sitting on the ground.

Sorry, Scribe. I’m not letting you all hurt yourselves.


Chrysalis emerged from her chamber, feeling far fresher than she had an hour earlier. Barely had she a moment to stretch her legs, however, when an explosion drew her attention down the passage. Urgh, what now?

“What’s going on in here?” she shouted as she strode into the central chamber, no longer limping. While noling answered right away, the explosive results were plain to see.

A large space had been cleared around a single shaking drone, a smouldering crater several hooves wide in front of him. Falling dust, hundreds of stone chips about the ground, a curious smell in the air. The expressions of the others ranged from fear to curiosity, though they kept their distance.

Sync and Scribe arrived a few seconds later, the latter almost running to examine the crater, while Sync made sure that noling was injured.

“What. Happened?” Chrysalis repeated as she moved to stand in front of the changeling sitting before the crater. “What did you do?”

“I-I don’t… I don’t know,” he stammered as he looked between his Queen and the destruction he wrought. “I don’t know how I did that.”

Chrysalis exhaled through her nose and looked at Scribe. “Well, what do you know of this?”

Scribe shook his head. “I am unsure. I was conversing with the boy… Adrien, he said his name was, at least until this happened. But I cannot feel any residual magic coming from this. Whatever he did, it was not of arcane origin.” He raised the Pokédex. “Perhaps this thing might know. Let me try to work it.”

The room fell silent. Flipping up the top lid again, Scribe tried pointing it at the crater.

The Pokédex beeped. “Scanning image… Detecting energy… Shadow Ball, a Ghost-type attack. The user hurls condensed shadow energy at the target. This attack has a twenty percent chance of lowering the target’s Special Defense.”

The silence in the room grew louder.

At last, Sync spoke up. “Scribe? How does that metal book know what happened and you don’t?” While it was a genuine question, the added smirk caused her brother to click his tongue at her.

But before he could respond, another voice spoke up. “That’s because the Pokédex can identify the residual energy of the move that little Changeling just used.”

Hundreds of blue eyes turned to face Adrien.

“Explain. Now!” Chrysalis barked at him.

Adrien gulped and nodded. “Okay, so, your Scribe Changeling said you’re starting to develop weird magic, right?”

It took Chrysalis a moment before the realisation came: the boy was speaking to her, answering her—without her telepathy! She frowned at the odd extension of metal protruding from the boy’s ear. That must be it. He’s obviously managed to wrangle information out of Scribe and get his gear back too.

“Go on.” I’ll deal with Scribe later.

“Well…” Adrien paused to get his thoughts in order. “While some kind of magic exists here, it’s probably not the kind you’re used to. What this Changeling used is an attack known by several species of Pokémon called ‘Shadow Ball’.”

Chrysalis frowned and looked at the drone in question. “But, that is not possible. We are not these ‘Pokémon’ creatures you refer to. We have never even seen one before…” Her sentence trailed off when she saw Adrien smile. “What?”

“Would you like to see one? I have a couple with me right now.”

“I see no creatures with you,” Chrysalis argued. “Are you addled in the head?”

Adrien responded by holding out his right hand; clutched in his palm was one of his odd red spheres from his belt. “He’s in here.”

And then, Chrysalis cackled. “Ha! You take me, Queen Chrysalis, for some fool? That you could have a giant monster inside one of those tiny little things?”

“Absolutely I can. And do. In fact, I have five of them right here, all different ones, and a few others back at the lab, too.”

Chrysalis snorted, baring her toothy grin again. “Okay, Adrien, I’ll humour you. Produce now your magical friend from within your little red device. Show your Queen what sort of magic you possess.”

Adrien sighed. “Good. Okay, I’ll let him out. But you have to promise not to attack him, all right? He won’t hurt you—promise.”

Chrysalis looked to Sync, ensuring she could act at a moment's notice. Scribe stood next to her, anticipation in his hungry eyes.

“All right then.”


Adrien pressed the silver button in the center of the ball.

A burst of light cast a brief red tint on everything as it twisted into the shape of Adrien’s Linoone. Several Changelings yelped in surprise, and began backing away at the sudden appearance of the furry Pokémon. The light disappeared, leaving behind a very solid looking raccoon-type… thing.

Linoone opened his eyes, quickly widening them at the sight of so many strange Pokémon. “Well, this is just wonderful. What the hell have you gotten us into this time, boyo?” He sighed at Adrien. “Don’t you think Ignatius would be a better choice here?”

Adrien didn’t move for several moments. He had completely forgotten he was wearing the translator, and so this was the first time he’d understood his lifelong partner.

He grinned widely as he knelt down and hugged Linoone.

“Oi, knock it off,” Linoone said. “This ain’t no time to be getting mushy. You’re kind of surrounded in case you hadn’t noticed.”

Adrien blinked and pulled back. “Huh? Oh! No, they’re friendly, so please don’t attack them.”

“Well I wasn’t going to without a command anyway, but whatever.” The Linoone turned to the Changelings staring at him. “They don’t look very friendly. So, what’s going on then?”

“What? How did you summon that creature?” Chrysalis exclaimed.

“Oi!” The Linoone growled at Chrysalis. “That’s a bit rude, ain’t it? My name’s Ventus and I’m a Linoone. So now, spill—who and what are you?

Chrysalis glared at him. “I am Chrysalis, Queen of the Changelings, and you will show me due respect, you overgrown rat!”

“‘Rat’?” Ventus glared back. “You ain’t my queen, your royal bugbutt. And I only respect those that have earned it. You—” he motioned at Chrysalis “—ain’t done squat to earn that.”

“I will gut you like a fish!” Chrysalis yelled. Her twisted horn glowed pure white as she lowered her head.

Ahhh, crap. “Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Adrien cried, stepping between Ventus and Chrysalis. He leaned down to hold Ventus back; Scribe likewise moved to block Chrysalis, with Sync all the while cheering for blood to be spilled.

“Not. Helping,” Scribe muttered to his sister. “And My Queen, please be calm. You’re still not at full strength.”

“I don’t care. That insufferable little—”

We don’t know anything about these Pokémon yet, and you’ve still not fully recovered. Please, you cannot strain yourself.”

Chrysalis gave a final snarl, slowly letting the white light fade. “Fine. I shall postpone punishment… for now.”

Ventus opened his mouth, but Adrien slid his hand over it. “Ventus says he’s sorry and it won’t happen again.”

The Linoone growled and gave a muffled response. Two words, one syllable each.

“Play nice, please?” Adrien asked as he removed his hand. He now understood why some Pokémon got so worked up when they battled Ven. “They’re new here and don’t understand a whole lot yet. So we’re gonna help them.”

“You and your bloody bleedin’ heart. Fine,” Ventus replied. He took a good long look at the Changelings. “So what are we doing with this lot then?”

“We have to demonstrate a few things. But first things first…” Adrien looked up at Chrysalis. “So this is a Pokémon. They come in countless shapes and sizes—”

“Your encyclopedia thing says you have seven-hundred and twenty-one species known,” Scribe interjected. “I’d hardly call that countless.”

“No, I mean…” Adrien sighed and put his hand to his forehead. “While that’s how many species are known, they all have their own personalities. Likes and dislikes, temperaments and even sizes can vary. The Pokédex merely records the average weight and height.”

Scribe sniffed, but seemed otherwise satisfied.

“Let us move to the topics of attacks,” Chrysalis interrupted. “That is why you summoned the mutant ferret, no?”

“Oh, I am gonna kick your—” Again, Ventus found his mouth blocked as Adrien gave the queen an apologetic look.

“Yes. Ventus here can use that move your Changeling did before.” He looked around and saw a stumpy stalagmite jutting out of the ground. “Could you clear that space? We’ll show you.”

Chrysalis nodded and then looked to her Changelings, who cleared the area around the rock.

“Okay, Ven. Use Shadow Ball!”

“The things I do for you,” Ventus sighed as he opened his maw. Ethereal energy began to materialise, condensing into a dark sphere. When the sphere outgrew his mouth, he released the energy; the blast impacted the spike and exploded, blowing several stone chunks into the air.


Chrysalis stared at the rock—or what was left of it—and tried to keep her composure. Such destruction… If only she’d been able to harness that kind of power during the Canterlot invasion…

No, that was all in the past. The present was here, now, and very real. This new magic would be their salvation—and her little changelings were already beginning to naturally learn this?

“This could get out of hoof very quickly,” she muttered. “Very well, Adrien. You will instruct us. Teach us how to harness this power so that we may control it, rather than the other way around.”

“Now where do you get off ordering him—”

The hand again. “I’ll be happy to do it.” Adrien smiled. “But first I’ll have to go home and get some stuff. Plus tell my mom where I’ll be, so she doesn’t freak out.”

“Your terms are… acceptable. On two conditions,” Chrysalis said with a small nod. “You must take two of my changelings, to make sure you do not betray us.”

“I promise I won’t tell anyone about you,” Adrien agreed. “But fair enough. And the second?”

Chrysalis stepped closer until she was standing over him. She leaned down and, even in the gloom of the cave, Adrien could swear she had a red tint to her cheeks.

“You will make more of those desserts. Except the red ones. I don’t like those.”

“Can do.” Adrien grinned. “Which ones do you like most?”

“The pink ones,” she said before leaning back up and coughing lightly. “Sync, take an infiltrator with you to accompany our new… ‘friend’ here, as he returns to his home and procures supplies.”

“As you wish, My Queen.” Sync bowed her head and flashed a fanged grin at Ventus. “And maybe I’ll get revenge for you as well.”

Ventus snorted. “You can try.

This trip is gonna be great. Adrien sighed as he picked up his bag. “Well. If that’s all, guess I’ll see you guys soon then.”


The first thing Sync noticed, as the gaps between the trees grew, was the encroaching scent of civilization. The natural aromas of trees, grass, and flowers gave way to stone, smoke, and one similar to what the human had. Sync presumed that it was more of his kind.

“You know,” Ventus mused as they walked, “you might draw attention if you walk into town with two unknown Pokémon.”

Adrien paused. Ven was right, of course. These Changelings had never been seen before, after all.

“Well, what should we do?” he asked. “I could always put them inside a Pokéball…”

“And I could turn you inside out.” Sync pointed and narrowed her eyes. Adrien had explained the concept of these ‘Pokéballs’ and how they captured and contained Pokémon. “There’s no way in Tartarus that me or anybuggy else is ending up in one of those things! Are we clear?

“Y-yes, ma’am,” Adrien stammered and nodded quickly; Ventus just rolled his eyes.

“Why don’t we just transform?” the youngling Sync had brought with her suggested. “I mean, we are changelings.”

“Because we barely have the energy for that,” Sync replied. Although, as she mulled the idea over in her head, it could be worth a try. Okay, so maybe she might have been passively feeding from the human and had a little magic to play with.

She closed her eyes and focused on Adrien standing in front of her. Emerald flames licked at her hooves, but after a few strenuous moments, the flames died out, having accomplished nothing beyond a slightly impressive pyrotechnics show.

“So, uh… was that supposed to be Flare Blitz?” Adrien asked, tilting his head slightly. “Maybe Flame Charge?”

“It was supposed to transform me into you.” Sync growled, more at her own failure than his inane questions. “I have enough magic in me, so why can’t I do it?”

“Welp, guess you suck at that too.” Ventus snickered; Sync’s eyes twitched and she glared at the Linoone.

“Oh, that is it! You die now!” Her body suddenly rushed forward at high speed, only to phase right through the Pokémon like a shadow and hit a tree.

Ventus laughed harder as the dazed nymph picked herself up. “Moron, Ghost-type moves like Shadow Sneak won’t work on a Normal-type Pokémon like me.” Ventus smirked and raised a beckoning paw. “Come on, little buggy. Want another go?”

“I’m going to tear you apart!” Sync roared and leapt at him, her fangs bared as she forwent any magic. Ventus blurred to one side as the Changeling literally ate dirt. The Linoone laughed again at her pitiful attempt to try and attack him.

“Do you want to see how it’s done?” he said with a wide grin as he crouched down. “Here, eat a Quick Attack!”

“Ventus!” Adrien shouted and held out his Pokéball. “Return!” A beam of red light shot from the device as the Linoone yelped.

“Wha?” Ventus sidestepped the recall beam and sighed. “Aw, come on—she started it.”

“And I’m ending it,” Adrien said with a pointed look. “Just… we have a lot to do and can’t waste time fighting.” He sighed as he looked at the youngling helping Sync up. “Why don’t you just wait at the edge of the forest here? I shouldn’t be too long.”

Sync spat some dirt from her mouth and glared at Ventus again. “No. We were ordered not to let you out of our sight.”

The youngling chose that very moment to erupt in flames.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Sync asked.

Next second, a perfect copy of Ventus stood in the youngling’s place. Sync stared in disbelief, as did Adrien and Ventus.

“So they really can transform,” the Linoone pointed out. “Hah! The little one’s better at it than you are!”

“I will end you!” Sync roared, preparing to charge again; and she would have, if not for the disguised Changeling holding her back. Just like Chrysalis, she snarled at Ventus.

“Try again, Lady Sync,” the youngling said. “For some reason, he’s really easy to copy.”

“Because he’s so simple,” Sync retorted.

“And yet I fluster you so easily.” Ventus smirked back before he was enveloped in red light and recalled to his Pokéball.

Adrien sighed as he stared at the spherical device. “Honestly, Ven, what am I gonna do with you?”

“I know,” Sync purred. “It involves a sack, a river, and a few rocks.”

“You two are never allowed in the same room again,” Adrien deadpanned. “Okay, so can you copy your friend there?”

Sync narrowed her eyes and glared at Adrien. “Of course I can. You think an untrained nymph exceeds me in skill?”

“Well, you did just lose your very first Pokémon battle, and—”

“One more word and I’ll make sure you have no tongue to sass me ever again.”

Once Adrien nodded and shut his stupid face, Sync looked over the youngling. Emerald flames consumed her form, morphing into a second clone of the Linoone. “Such a weak form,” she hissed as she looked herself over.

Adrien ignored the jab at his friend. “Right. Okay, I guess now we have to figure out if you used an ability to do that, or a move.”

“What’s the difference? You say ‘attack’ and ‘move’ and ‘ability’ – aren’t they all the same thing?”

“I’ll explain later, okay? Right now, let’s go do some shopping.” Adrien turned and started walking towards the town, though his movements were a little stiff. “And please try not to terrify any of the people in town? I’m not the only one who walks around with Pokémon, got it?”

The twin Linoone just rolled their eyes and followed him.


Adrien poked around the shelves of the local PokéMart. His Pokémon treats required some specific ingredients, and some healing Potions and status cures could be helpful as well. While not as big as some of the other ones around Kanto, he usually found that this one stocked what he needed.

“Kinda wish I had the cash to get better stuff,” he said to himself, both Linoones following on his heels. “Full Restores would be a lot better.” He only received a small allowance from Professor Oak for his research assistance and scholarship, and a Full Restore was a hefty fifteen times more expensive: enough to wipe out his weekly allowance in one hit.

As Adrien reached up to get some Antidotes from the top shelf, a young man in an apron approached him.

“Excuse me, sir?” he spoke up, causing Adrien to flinch a little and look down from the shelf. “I’m afraid you’re going to have to put one of your Pokémon away.”

“Huh? Why?”

“Each trainer can only have one Pokémon over fifty centimetres long outside of its ball in this shop.” He pointed to the sign in the window. “It’s in the rules, stops the aisles from getting cluttered with larger Pokémon who might knock the shelves over.”

“But, they’re Linoones. They’re only fifty-one centimetres each. And I’ll just be a minute—”

“No exceptions, sir.” This guy was persistent. “Please comply, or I’ll have to ask you to leave.”

“Uh…” Adrien sighed. “Sure.” He knelt down, unzipped his bag, and pulled out an empty Pokéball. “So, uh—” he coughed a single time and held out the ball toward the pair “—sorry, you two. I have to put one of you away.”

Sync frowned and stared up at him. “You’re going to swallow that damn thing before you put any Changeling in one of those freaky stasis pods.”

“I’ll do it!”

The youngling stepped forward; before either Adrien or Sync could say otherwise, she leaped up and nudged the sphere with her nose. The ball opened and light spilled forth, consuming the Changeling before retreating back into the ball. It shook a few times, stopping soon after with a final soft ping.

“W-what?” Adrien blinked as Sync just stood dumbfounded.

“Was that a… wild Pokémon?” The shop assistant looked away and shook his head. “You know what, I don’t wanna know. Just buy your stuff and get out, kid. Mart’s closing in a few.”

“Yeah…” Adrien stowed the ball away quickly. Seemingly on autopilot, he absentmindedly grabbed a few more items and took them to the counter.


Once outside, Sync had had enough time to process what had happened, and so pounced on the human. “Let. Her. Out. Now!” she screamed as she grabbed his shirt and shook him hard.

“She’ll be okay, trust me, just get off!

“Let her out!”

“Let me go and I will!

With a final burst, Sync pushed Adrien away. As he stumbled backward, falling on his back, the ball popped out of his pack. In a burst of light, the ball opened, the Changeling within reappearing in her true form.

“Oooh, that was kinda fun.” She giggled and looked down at herself, quickly reapplying her disguise.

Youngling! Are you all right? Are you hurt? Are you—”

“Lady Sync, it’s okay, I… I feel… really good actually. Yeah, I… I’m totally full! I feel amazing!” The pseudo-Linoone twirled around at right-angles on the spot.

“Full? How is that even possible?” Sync looked over her charge, taking note of the shinier coat, the slightly longer horn—and she was just brimming with energy.

Now where in Tartarus did she get all this power?

Sync glanced at the sphere that was used to contain the youngling. Unlike the other red-and-white Pokéballs, this one was green and white. The top green half sported red teardrop-like shapes. In addition, a gold gem sat just above the button.

“Is this it?” Sync held the ball up as Adrien finally sat up with a groan.

“Jeez, that really hurt,” he grumbled, giving his head a quick rub. He saw the ball Sync was holding and sighed. “Aw man, and that was a gift from the Prof as well. Guess I grabbed it by mistake.”

“What is this thing?” Sync asked, deciding to hold onto it for now. “Why did it give the youngling so much power?”

“I’ll explain later.” Adrien looked around as some passersby started to stare at the scene unfolding. “We should head back to my place for the moment. We’re almost there, so let’s just get you two out of the open and into a safe place. I’ll tell you anything you want to know then. Deal?”

Sync mulled it over and nodded. Today was already grating on her nerves. “Fine! But you’re explaining everything, got it?”

“Yeah, yeah. Come on.”


Adrien wasn’t overly enthused with the bossy Changeling right now. He was just trying to help them, for Arceus’ sake. Couldn’t she cut him just a little slack? Making sure nothing in his bags were damaged, he led the Pokémon back to his house.

“Mom, I’m home,” he called out, the setting sun at his back as he opened the front door. “Sorry I was out so long.” He gave it a minute before stepping inside. “Mom?” He poked his head into the lounge room, then the kitchen. Dinner wasn’t even on the stove or in the oven. “Huh. She must be out or something.”

“Good, that makes this easier.” Sync nodded as she resumed her normal form. “Ahhh. So much better.” The youngling soon followed suit.

“Hey, d’you mind waiting a sec next time?” Adrien hissed. “Geez, a little warning would be nice.” With speed that would have made Ventus proud, he ran around the house, closing curtains and locking doors.

“Sorry,” the youngling offered. “Should I change back?”

“Nah, just…” Adrien nodded toward the couch, dropping his pack and shopping bag on the floor. “Look, just keep what you are a secret for now, right? Last thing we need is someone coming and snatching away a ‘rare and unique’ Pokémon. Now do you guys want anything to eat or drink?”

“Oh! Oooh!” The youngling bounced up and down, clopping her hooves together. “Do you have any of those sweets you gave the Queen? I wanna try some!”

“Would you calm down?” Sync snapped. “That is no way for an infiltrator to behave. We most certainly do not beg for sweets.”

“Awww.” The youngling sighed and then giggled when Adrien rubbed her head.

“Don’t worry, I should have a few in the fridge.” He looked at Sync and smirked. “I guess Little Miss Grumpybug doesn’t want any then?”

“What did you call me?” Sync roared again as the youngling covered her mouth to conceal her giggles. “And anyway, I never said that.”

“Callin’ it how I see it,” Adrien said as he moved to the kitchen. “Now, where are those leftover Poképuffs?”


“Callin’ it how I see it.”

Sync was just itching to fire a retort, but some interesting things about their current shelter caught her eye. Adrien’s house seemed to resemble that of a pony’s, only everything was a little larger in scale. Apart from that, and a few assorted machines and decorations she didn’t recognise, the home still had the passively weak love scent that permeated everything: the telltale sign of a happy family.

She happily absorbed what she could, gaining a little more strength. She took a deep breath, held it, and exhaled. It would not do for her to keep losing her cool. But it was just so… so easy lately for anything to rile her up.

Argh, something about this world is messing with my head. Why am I being so reckless and argumentative lately? I’m an Elite, the Hive’s best infiltrator. I need to be setting an example to the others, not raging at everything around me.

She did a quick self-assessment. Heart slowing, wings could probably use a preen… and a bath… a good nap… but she had some energy now, at least. Nowhere near as much as the youngling had acquired though.

Adrien soon returned with three plates of food and a pitcher of water.

“I believe you owe me an explanation, human,” Sync said as he placed a plate in front of her on the coffee table. “Thank you—” She clapped a hoof over her mouth.

“So you can be polite.” Adrien smiled and set a second plate before the youngling; she beamed widely as she tore into the treats with gusto.

Adrien laughed, taking a seat on the couch with a contented sigh. “Something’s been bugging me,” Adrien said as he looked at the pair. “So before we start, just one question of my own, okay?”

Sync huffed and crossed her arms.

“Oookay.” Adrien took a muffin. “All today, I’ve completely forgotten to ask you your names. I mean, clearly you’re both a Changeling, but the one I was with earlier in the cave said his name was ‘Scribe’. Do you all have different names? If so, what are yours?”

“Fine. ” Sync lowered her arms. “I’m Sync, short for Synchronise, and I earned this name for being the Hive’s best infiltrator. I’ve always been better than anyling when it comes to copying my target: attitude, appearance, everything. Which is why it sucks—” she banged a hoof on the table, making her plate shake “—that I’ve been having trouble with it lately.”

“Hmmm.” Adrian pulled out the Pokédex from the bag at his feet. Flipping it open, he ran through the move encyclopedia. “Let’s see. Sleep Talk, Tail Whip, Teeter Dance—ah, Transform. What does the ’dex say about this?”

He pressed a button, and the electronic voice provided: “Transform: The user transforms into a copy of the target, right down to having the same move set. A move traditionally only usable by Ditto.

“Maybe… you can only transform into another Pokémon, and not a human.”

Human. So that’s what this creature is called.

“And what about you, little one?” Adrien continued.

The youngling’s muzzle was coated in icing and crumbs as she looked up. “Oh, I haven’t earned a name yet,” she said, still with food in her mouth. “Changelings hafta earn them, like… when we find out what we’re really good at, we get a name based on that.”

“Well, what are you good at then?” Adrien asked.

The nymph looked away. “M’not really good at anything,” she mumbled.

“Oh. Well, you know, since you kinda went inside my Pokéball, I can actually give you a name myself,” Adrien suggested.

The youngling gasped and dropped her Poképuff. “Really?”

“Yeah! People normally just call their Pokémon by their species name, but sometimes they like to give their friends their own special name. So… Um… What about… Milly?”

“What,” Sync deadpanned. “Milly? What kind of Changeling would—”

“I love it!”