• Published 27th Feb 2015
  • 468 Views, 16 Comments

The Spark - Sketch-Pad



Somehow, I managed to escape the Hunger Games. But just as I hoped the fighting was over, I realized that it was just beginning.

  • ...
2
 16
 468

II - Just a Little Time, Please

I stood there, shaking. Shaking in the new room that was now my own. Still, it felt like a cage. This house had no windows - no - the entire building was completely underground. Where could I go? Or did I even want to move? I was cornered in by this stranger. By my father.

"Terra, talk to me -" He began to plead. I could hear him move towards me.

My lip trembled. "D-Don't," was the only word I could muster.

"I haven't seen you in such a long time and you won't even look at me?" His voice was soft but stern. A voice that only a father could create.

"No. . . just. . . don't. . ." I muttered. He needed to get out. I wanted to close the door, lock it, and then proceed to hide somewhere. Under the bed, in my dresser, I didn't really care where.

"I just-" He tried to protest.

"Leave me."

He paused. I heard his footsteps shift backward out of the door, and with a soft click, the door was closed. I shuddered and tried to refrain myself from screaming. Or kicking something. I didn't know what I wanted to do. Everything was so strange to me here - so new, and here comes my father. I haven't had any time to grow accustomed to this new world and he just shows up and clearly wants to act like nothing happened. But nothing didn't happen. He left us - left me - all those years ago and just didn't tell us why. Why? Why did he do it?

I was shaking far too much now, it probably wasn't normal. I squinted my eyes as silent tears began to pour down from my face. My ears flattened against my head and I let out a loud, hate-filled scream towards the ceiling. The lights in my room flickered and the ground beneath my hooves trembled along with my body. I screamed until I was out of breath, and then I let myself grow limp. I let my body collapse onto the floor as the realm of darkness crept up on me again. The cold, crystal floor was some how comforting to me. I turned myself towards my bed as my body lay on the ground and decided to crawl under it. I dragged myself along the floor until I was fully under the bed, curling myself into a fetal-like position.

I needed to hug something. Using my magic I pulled a larger pillow down from the top of the bed around the side and into my forelegs. I squeezed the thing tightly against myself as more silent tears fell down my face. I tried to distract myself from the thoughts of what had just happened. Where did I put the key I had used? Oh yeah, I had put it on the dining room table. I think. I shuttered again. Did that key work on my door? Could I lock it? I don't think so.

I lay under my bed for what felt like a very long time, just hugging the pillow that was now covered in tears. I didn't know if it was hours or even a few days, but from time to time there were several knocks on my door that I ignored. I didn't really know who it was nor did I care. I didn't have a desire to talk to anyone right now and I just needed time to myself.

At one point or another, I decided that I probably needed to get out from underneath my bed and see others. As much as I didn't want to talk, I did want to see my family again. Rather reluctantly I began to untwist the pretzel shape I had twisted myself into and crawl out from underneath the bed. I pulled out the pillow along with me and placed it back onto my untouched bed. Sighing, I realized that what I really wanted to do was just take a shower. I haven't been cleaned in such a long time, I probably really needed it.

I stretched my stiff legs and slowly opened my door, trying to be as quiet as I could. I walked the short distance to the bathroom door, until the sound of my younger brother's voice caught my ears, stopping me in my tracks. It was coming from the living area. I couldn't help but listen to the conversation that was going on.

"Mom, when are we going to see Terra? She's been in her room ever since she arrived," Flashlight said with a saddened tone.

"Your sister has been through a lot. She just needs some time to herself," I heard my mother say.

"But it's been three days, isn't that enough time?" He asked.

"I don't know if there will ever be enough time for her, Flash. She's healing, and healing just takes time."

I sighed for several reasons. I didn't like to cause my family heartache. On top of that, staying alone under a bed for three days, barely sleeping and not eating has just drained so much energy out of me. In fact, I'm kind of surprised that I'm conscious. Shaking my head lightly as my ears lowered, I strode quietly into the bathroom and turned on the bathroom light with a soft click. I stared at myself in the bathroom mirror, looking at my messy teal and green mane. It was greasy and still filled with sweat, tangled and utterly out of control. Dark circles lingered around my weary looking eyes, my eyelids drooping from a lack of sleep. My face was still red from all of my crying, and there were faint streaks down my face from the many tears I had cried. My pelt itself was much darker than I recalled it being, and I questioned if it was dirt or just from the amount of sun I had received. For all, I knew I might have just forgotten what exactly I looked like after not seeing myself for such a long time.

I turned away from the mirror and walked towards the stone shower, sliding open the glass door that stood in front of it. My hooves clicked against the stone floor as I stepped inside. I turned on the shower and allowed the sudden cold water to hit my face. It was a nice way to bring me back to my senses. I let the water run through my mane, over my face and down my neck as it slowly changed from cold to warm water. I stood there for a while, staring at the floor as I watched brown water flow from my legs towards the drain. The steam that rose around me helped my muscles relax. I finally decided to grab the soap bar and wash myself, running the large green tablet all over myself to wash away any more dirt that the water alone had missed. After that was done I used the shampoo that was on a shelf in the shower, and spent many minutes scrubbing the sweat and grime out of my mane and tail. And after I felt that I was clean enough, I just stayed in the shower a little longer, as if I was trying to wash my negative thoughts down the drain along with the soap suds and shampoo bubbles.

I removed myself from the shower and grabbed a white towel that was hanging on a rack on the wall, and used it dry my self as best as I could. Rubbing my mane vigorously trying to remove as much moisture as I could with a second towel, I made I may back to the now fogged covered mirror. Releasing the towel and tossing it into a small laundry basket in the corner, I quickly rummaged though the drawers of the vanity to locate a hairbrush and a comb. I spent several moments running the comb through my mane and tail before I applied the pressure of the brush.

The fog of the mirror was mostly gone now - and I could see myself again. My mane was neater and softer looking that it did an hour before and I looked healthier, brighter, happier almost. My pelt had returned to its normal golden color and the dark circles around my eyes didn't look as dark. I found it sort of amazing that just a simple shower had transformed my so much.

But now it was time to see my family. I wanted to see my mother and brothers, but not my father. I walked out of the bathroom slowly, turning off the light and closing the door behind me. I stared for a moment at the door to my bedroom, contemplating whether I should just walk back inside and stay in my room for who knows how long again. It would be easy, wouldn't it? It was only a few feet away. But no, I knew that I would have to talk to others sooner or later. I want to get this over with. After all, they were my family, weren't they? They surely would stand there for me - with me - no matter what. I stared at the hallway and began to walk down it, trying to remind myself that I just needed to breathe, mainly because I knew that if I didn't my mind would be racing with the thoughts about what I would tell them if anything.

I reached the living room area and stared at the family of four that was sitting in the living room, all watching the television screen together. I swished my tail side to side awkwardly as I opened my mouth with a desire to speak, but no sound escaped. I watched as my older brother rose from his spot on the sofa and walked around the couch, probably heading towards the kitchen or the bathroom. He walked without care until he spotted me. He stared at me, his mouth slightly parted with his purple eyes wider than normal. My family was starting to notice his body language and realize that something was up. They looked at him and then looked at me. My heart skipped a beat as my younger brother called my name.

I watched him as he bounced off of the couch and ran towards me, a smile on his face. He reached forwards without fear and hugged my torso. I smiled at him as his hug squeezed my legs. I looked at my older brother who was now starting to smile. He moved towards me and joined the hug. His muscular forelegs rapped gently around my body in a loving way. I knew he missed me. I knew they both did. My mother was next to move towards me, the same painful looking smile that was identical to the one in the photograph on her face as she reached towards me to join the growing group hug. I stood there, my family hugging me from all sides, warming me with the love they sent me through the simple touch of their hooves.

They finally pulled away, and when they did, my older brother was the first to talk, "We're very glad to see you again."

"Yeah, we didn't know if-" Flashlight started.

"You have clearly changed so much since our goodbyes-" Said my mother.

"Have you grown taller?"

"You look stronger!"

"It looked like your mane is longer now too."

All three of them began to make random observations about me, almost to the point where it was a little too much. They kept talking about whatever jumped into their head, for the most part. Sometimes pointing out my skills they saw on TV, asking me what it was like when I did something, even just saying that my actions looked cool. But all they really wanted to know was if I was okay. That after everything I had been through, I was just alive. I needed their reassurance because with it I reassured myself. I had survived the Hunger Games, so why couldn't I survive this new battle I had been given? But then again, this new battle was so different from the last. . .

"It really is nice to see you, Terra," came my father's voice, interrupting my thoughts and the voices of my family.

I lowered my ears and looked past my family's faces and towards the couches, staring at my father. The light brown stallion with bright blue eyes and the green mane that I was so familiar with many years ago. I stared at him, my heart pounding in my chest as I was filled with mixed feelings. I wanted to stay away from this older stallion who had left me so many years ago, but even if I could it could not change the fact that he was my father and I did love him once. I wanted to form words, but I didn't know which ones to use or how.

"Y-yeah," was the only thing I managed to say.

My voice made my father smile - a smile that was like a knife through my chest. He still cared for me and I could tell that he desperately wanted to go back to the life we used to have. The life where I was his little princess. And he knew that we both knew it couldn't happen. He moved towards me slowly, and as he strode closer I spotted streaks on his now wrinkled cheeks. He brought his hoof up to my mane and gently brushed my forelock away from my eyes. His lip trembled as he began to speak again.

"I've watched you grow into such a strong mare from so far away and now I can finally see you . . . you're just as beautiful as the day I left."

I carefully moved my head away from his hoof as I spoke softly," Th-hanks, I guess, but If you don't mind I would like to eat some food. . . It's been so long since I've had a decent meal. . ."

My mother nodded as she perked up her ears. "Yes, we typically have a limit on what we are allowed to eat, but the tributes are able to eat as much as they would like this week. We should be able to get you some food fairly easily. Not only that but the doctors would like to check up on you as well when you were available."

I nodded. I didn't really want to talk.

"Oh yeah! Your friends are doing pretty well!" Flashlight blurted out. "That one blue griffon, Gaelan was his name I think, has something really cool I think you should see!"

I perked my ears at the mention of my friends. How were they adjusting to this new world? Hopefully, it was far better than I was. I wanted to see them again. I could probably talk to Cherry about my problems if I decided that I needed to. Mare to mare talk was always good and even if the words said aloud didn't help solve a problem, often times just thinking alone during the conversation would help sort things out. I flicked my tail as I sighed and I looked at my mother, wanting to go to where-ever the food was.

"I'm sure your brothers can lead you to the cafeteria. Your father and I have some. . . talking to do," My mother stated with a flat smile.

With her vocal command, my brothers were practically rushing me out of the room and towards the doorway, leaving my mother and father alone in the room. I glanced back at them with weary eyes, almost as if I was protective of my mom or hesitant to just be left with my brothers. But in spite of my pleading look, the door in front of us opened and I was gently pushed outside and into the crystal hallway, which I had seen for the first time only a few days ago. I had barely gotten over the obstacle of greeting my family and more importantly my father, but I was going to be faced with many more and far more difficult ones in the future. All I hoped was that this day would carry only a few of them.

As we made our way down towards the bottom floor, many ponies I passed were giving me curious looks. Those who traveled in groups gave whispers to the ponies that they walked next to. I could not tell if all of the attention was positive or negative. And I didn't know if I wanted to know. We reached the bottom floor of what I decided to call the Great Hall and followed my brothers as we walked toward a hallway on the side. we had just reached the doorway when we were stopped by a particular lime green pegasai.

"Terra!" Cherry Cloud called out to me. She jumped towards me and hugged me tightly, wrapping her forelegs around my body. I jumped a little bit, but she was a pony I knew and a pony I could trust. I happily hugged her back. "I'm glad to see that you are doing okay!"

I smiled at her as we pulled away from the hug, "More or less. I'm not utterly terrible, but I suppose it could be worse."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," She glanced at me up and down sighing. She looked different, but I couldn't pinpoint why. "Say, have you seen Gaelan yet?"

I shook my head, "No, but you're they second pony to tell me that he has something really cool I should see."

"Yes! I can't believe what the hospital gave him. . . It was just so nice!"

"I really want to see this now," I added with a smile.

"Knowing him, we'll probably run into him at the cafeteria," She added with a playful smile. "He really does love to mingle."

My older brother cleared his throat to gain our attention as Cherry and I began to make our way in the direction we had been in before. "Well, I see that you are in good hooves now. I have some training that I was requested to do, so I will see you later. Flashlight," He turned to face my younger brother, "Don't stay too long. Remember that TBB offered to teach you a few things. You shouldn't leave her waiting."

My younger brother nodded.

The three of us walked into the cafeteria - a room significantly larger than I thought it was going to be. The walls were a welcoming yellow crystal, and the ceiling was covered in tiny lights that sparkled and filled the room with the perfect amount of light and raised to provide enough room for probably two ponies to stand on top of one another. The room was filled with many round, blue tables that each had a golden logo in the center. From what I saw each one was different, but I didn't know if they had any meaning. One side of the room had a food bar that appeared to be made completely out of crystal. There were a few ponies who stood behind the bar, moving food around and adding more to racks almost as fast as it disappeared. The smell of the room made my stomach roar to life - it needed the food my nose had detected. Cherry laughed at me, remarking that she had heard my stomach roar even over the soft clamor in the room. The room was only about a quarter filled. Different groups sat at different tables and there were a few ponies sitting at tables alone as they read a book or were occupied with another activity.

We moved across the room swiftly, desperately reaching the bar as fast as I could without running. I quickly grabbed a tray at the end of the line and began to slide it down the bar, grabbing whatever appealed to my eye. Two different sandwiches, a rather large bowl of soup, a bag of haychips, an apple and a pear, and some type of fancy dessert that had oats in it along with a large bottle of apple cider. Cherry had only grabbed a bowl about half the size of the one I grabbed. Flashlight was just walking next to us most of the time and only grabbed a smaller sized apple. I didn't care what they took - I needed food.

Just as I was about to walk away from the bar, I glanced at one of the mares behind it who was chuckling at me. She had an orange pelt and a blonde mane that was pulled back into a braided bun. Her skin was clearly sun-kissed as it still managed to maintain it's many freckles even under her sun formed wrinkles. She was fairly large for a mare, especially one who might work behind a counter all the time. She seemed to ripple with muscles, which for her estimated age was quite impressive. The thing that caught me off guard was her left hind leg - it was clearly prosthetic. It twisted with gears and shiny metals as she moved, but she moved with it with such ease you would have figured that she had been born with it. You probably wouldn't have even noticed her slight limp if you weren't looking for it. She spoke to us with a country accent, slightly rasped due to her older age.

"I don't know if you'll be able to keep all o' that down, sugarcube. Mah family's food has been known to fill ponies up pretty fast. If ya can, then hat's off to ya," She said with a smile.

I smiled back at the friendly mare and gave her a polite "Thank you" as I turned away and we made our way towards the nearest table so I could quickly scarf down my food. As soon as I had set my tray down and planted my rump into one of the blue crystal chairs, I began to eat. Everything tasted so wonderfully, It was true, but I was focused more on filling my stomach than how it tasted. I had eaten one of my sandwiches, all of my soup and the pear before Cherry had even finisher her soup.

"Woah, Cherry, You better tell your friend here to slow down," Came a masculine voice from somewhere around the table.

I looked around as I swallowed the bite of food that was in my mouth, and spotted a slightly familiar pale blue pegasus stallion. His mane was two different shades of darker blue and has small streaks of a soft yellow and orange. His eyes were bright and rose-colored - the same color as the mare I had met a few days prior, that Rainbow Dash. He smiled at me and then plopped down into the seat next to Cherry. I looked at Cherry who was now staring straight at her food with a weird look in her eyes. A look that almost every mare can pick out when she sees it. As I stared at her, a single thought popped into my mind: How much did I miss while I was hiding in my room?

Author's Note:

Oh my gosh, my writing towards the end actually made me hungry.

But yeah! Hi guys! I'm still alive!! I was just on a bit of a break after finishing my previous story - you probably know how it goes. If you've followed me, then I greatly thank you and you get a Cookie! :3