• Published 27th Feb 2015
  • 468 Views, 16 Comments

The Spark - Sketch-Pad



Somehow, I managed to escape the Hunger Games. But just as I hoped the fighting was over, I realized that it was just beginning.

  • ...
2
 16
 468

I - The Welcome

I was in another world. The world I was being put into was so vastly different than the one I was in before. I had gotten so used to just trying to get through my day with my brothers and my friends, and then I was forced into the game where I physically had to fight for my own life. It wasn't entirely bad - no - I had somehow managed to make 4 very good friends. These friends; Jockey, Code Red, Cherry Cloud, and Gaelan, were friends who had followed me throughout the games and stayed by my side. They protected me with their life as I had protected them with my own. We had each thrown away everything that we had, everything that we loved, just in an attempt to survive. That sacrifice is what sealed us into the fate that we were in now. Together we would be the light to lead the rebellion, with me as the spark to light and to lead them.

As the ship I had been placed on began to slow its momentum, I attempted to mentally prepare myself for what was to come. I didn't know what I would be met with. It could be anywhere from a world of poverty to a world of luxury, maybe even a mixture of both. I could be met with everyone in the rebellion, or maybe just a few people. Thunder Runner - the stallion who had left my side a few moments earlier, said that he had to go and stand guard. I did not know what for, but the thought of him having to stand guard just for exit got me a little riled up. Was something bad going to happen, or did they think that they would need to protect us from the herds of people trying to greet us? I didn't really know, but then again I didn't really care.

I made my way towards the exit of the craft, hanging my head a little bit. I honestly didn't want to encounter more ponies, especially if they were all going to treat me like a celebrity. I just wanted to go back home and lay in my bed and for my family to tell me that it was okay. Tell me that everything was fine and that everything would be. Just go back to that simple life in District Six.

I reached the exit of the ship where the others were standing, waiting for me. Gaelan was awake, along with Code Red. They smiled at me, and I gave them a weak smile back. Looking them over I saw that Gaelan was the happier of the two. He had a burning determination in his eyes that I had not seen before. His emerald colored eyes glimmered with hope and relief. He was different - prouder and more confident. I didn't know how he was so, but it made me a little glad to see that he had adapted to this situation. I sort of wanted to do the same, but at the same time, I didn't. I spotted Cherry laying on a hospital bed and was being pushed by the nurse pony, Tender Blaze Beats. Jockey was walking next to her, his eyes droopy and tired like he had woken up only a few moments ago. He looked at all us warily and gave us all a weak smile. He probably had other things on his mind than us. I wanted to give him a hug, both for his own sake as well as mine, but this didn't really seem like the right place to do so.

We watched the exit door swing downwards towards a grey, metallic-looking floor. I stared at it and then was pressured into walking out on it. The was led out of the ship by a few guards that walked in front of us and behind us. Princess Luna was no where to be seen, but the other ponies on the ship were there, walking off of the aircraft with us. The exit could only really fit 2 ponies at a time, so I found my place walking next to Code Red in silence. In fact, everything around us was quiet - other than the clicking of our hooves against the ground and one squeaky wheel that Cherry's hospital bed had.

There were about 12 other guards stationed around the exit of the ship, each one clothed in a sleek, shimmering violet armor. I spotted Thunder Runner among the group, though his eyes only glanced at me. I knew he was keeping his post as any good soldier should. I sighed and continued to follow the ponies in front of me. Everything seemed so simple. . . Until a certain pony, I did not know popped up in my face.

The male earth pony's pelt was a greyish red, from what I could see. His brown mane was curled and all over the place and reminded me a lot of cotton candy. His nose had bumped against mine and had truthfully startled me. I didn't even know where he had come from. He began to ramble loudly in front of me, his cake-smelling breath blowing in my face.

"Welcome-to-the-Crystal-Empire!-My-name-is-Cheesecake-the-best-party-pony-you-will-find-today! My-parents-were-probably-better-when-they-were-my-age-but-the-war-and-everything-changed-that. I-really-really-really-wanted-to-throw-you-a-party-but-Cadence-and-Twilight-told-me-that-I-shouldn't-because-you-would-be-tired-and-wanting-to-rest-after-you-guys-came-back-from-the-arena-but-I-couldn't-help-not-doing-something-to-welcome-you-guys-after-all-you-are-all-that-anypony-talks-about-any-more! So-here-you-guys-go!" He threw a ball of confetti into the air, an unrealistic smile on his face as he took a large breath.

"Wait a minute is that what think it is?" He was talking slower now, which was a relief. He inched closer to my right hind leg. "It IS! You're like me!" He shifted his weight and I saw that he had dark orange spots on his flank and posterior. I blinked at them hastily and then glanced over at my shoulder at my own back right leg. I had dark, auburn colored spots up my own back leg. "I haven't seen anyone match me other than Princess Luna, but that doesn't really count. This is so cool! I can finally have a spot-buddie! Can I touch it?" Without thinking, he reached for my leg with a huge smile on his face.

At this moment he was no longer a stranger, but somepony who was seeking to kill me. Somepony who was my enemy, not my friend or an acquaintance. In a single second, I was teleported back into the Hunger Games arena, placed only moments away from death. In a reaction speed that greatly exceeded his, I twisted my lower half away from him and brought my upper half over, swinging them towards his face in one solid punch. I watched him stagger back and forth and then plant his rump firmly on the ground. Blood began to trickle from his nose, falling over his lips and down his chin. I stared at the stallion ready to strike again if need be. And then I realized that he was not an enemy.

As he stared at me wide-eyed, I wanted to disappear. And yet I knew that what had been done could not have been undone. I quickly lowered my ears as a single sigh escaped my lips. I glanced around the room at the 2 lines of guards who had shifted their weight in my general direction, prepared to restrain me if any further actions called for it. My eyes furrowed together in what I hoped was an apologetic look as looked straight down at the floor. My head did not quite lower, for part of me knew that even if I had done so it would not hide the fact that I had just punched this stallion who meant absolutely no harm to me.

I opened my mouth to apologize, but the stallion spoke first.

"Wow! Now I see why everypony was so fascinated with you!" He commented with an innocent smile on his face. How could he just stay positive like that?

"But I-"were the only words to escape my mouth before I was cut off.

"Don't worry about it. A little bit of P.T.S.D. is expected after everything you have been through. It's normal and after a little bit of therapy you should be fine," came a mare's voice from somewhere near me.

I looked around to spot a new, mare that had appeared, walking down the two rows of guards. Sun formed wrinkles were visible at the corners and under her eyes, making her rose-colored irises come across far more intimidating. Her pale blue pelt had small flecks of silver towards her muzzle which gave a hint that this was indeed a pony of older age. Her mane was cut shorter like a military pony, but still had a band which provided a little bit of feminine quality. Her mane was also lightly tinted grey but was somehow streaked with the bright colors of the rainbow. The silver jacket she wore was decorated in several shiny, gleaming medals along with five golden stars that lined her collar. She was obviously a mare of high rank, and her presence made me uneasy.

"At ease," She commanded in a flat voice. All of the guards moved back into their original positions without a second thought, though they all still had their hooves placed near their spears as they stood upright, pointing straight into the air.

She looked me up and down with her pink colored eyes, studying me, I suppose. It made me uncomfortable. "You're it? You're really the mare who is supposed to save us all?" She blinked at me with what seemed like displeased eyed. "Oh well, I've seen ponies in far worse shape then you and I've still managed to shape them into something. You should probably be an easy nut to crack, especially after seeing what you did to Cheesecake over there."

I stared at the mare, not daring to move. Why did I find her so unnerving? Just the sight of her made me feel uncomfortable. Perhaps it was her status?

"You don't have to act so scared of me you know, you can relax here," She murmured. It helped, but not by much. "My name is Rainbow Dash, by the way, but I will be addressed as Major, or sir unless I have stated otherwise." She gave me a sly little smirk that sent chills running up my back and made the hair on the nape of my neck stand on end. "I think you are going to have a good time here, Terra."

I blinked at the mare a final time before she shouted, making me jump a little bit.

"Privates Thunder Runner and Shock Blitz!"

The pale grey stallion that I met earlier quickly walked up to her, along with a second pale blue stallion that looked to be about the same age as he was.

"You two shall guard the party as they are taken to their dormitories. I am trusting that you two will be responsible for this task. Dismissed."

The two stallions made their way towards me but passed by me without a word. I glanced at them briefly but was quickly rushed forwards down the aisle, Rainbow Dash leading as the group point. I glanced shyly over at Code Red, who gave me a small shrug. He probably had thoughts on this situation, but he wasn't going to share them anytime soon.

Rainbow Dash left the group and put us into the hooves of a small earth pony mare who went by the name of Spinner. She guided us towards our dorms, occasionally talking about the building we walked through. I did not give her the attention she probably deserved, for I was just staring at the floor the entire time. The only thing I noticed was that Cherry was taken away towards what Spinner said was the Hospital Wing, and Gaelan had tagged along for his own personal reasons.

We rode an elevator up about 5 stories or that brought us to a balcony-like hallway. One side was entirely a railing, the other, a hallway lined with doors. It was at this moment that I realized how big this place was.

As I looked over the balcony, I saw that the enormous room was a giant rectangle, larger than any building I had ever seen. The bottom level had open doorways that no doubt led to other larger rooms. The next four floors were similar to the one we were on, lined with a balcony and a crystal fence that stood a few feet in front of the line of doors. The balcony levels wrapped all around the enormous room, connected to each other like the sides of a picture frame. Bright blue crystal pillars sprouted from the floor and grew next to the balconies, straight up towards the ceiling, forming into a beautiful arch. There, six large, crystal chandeliers hung from the crevice of the arch, each one a different color and pattern.

The first was a bright red, jagged and bold like the thunder and lightning from a terrible storm. It shone brightly and at times light would reflect off-of pieces so suddenly and quickly it seemed to resemble lightning itself. The second was softer and more delicate looking and reminded me of butterflies. It softly glittered with pink, almost as if it did not wish to outshine the other five chandeliers that it hung next to. The next was a bright, sky-blue, bubbly and loud, and weaved full of swirls. It looked as if someone had spent hours blowing balloons and bubble-gum bubbles and had woven them onto the strings of delicate glass and crystal. The light that shone from it reflected as if it was a disco ball, and there was something about it that just made me want to smile. The fourth was simple and shaped out of an orange colored crystal. It was twisted together like the branches of a tree, each just as strong and sturdy as the branch next to it. The light that shone from this particular chandelier was solid and consistent to the point where I thought it might never go out. The fifth was far more elegant than the rest, as it glimmered and gleamed more than some of the capital outfits I had seen. The purple crystals that hung sparkled and shone more brightly than diamonds. The delicate weaving of the chandelier represented fabric and fashion in a sense, but despite its almost overwhelming beauty, it shone to the point that was just before too much. The sixth and final chandelier was simplistic but glimmered brightly. The pinkish-purple crystal formation that hung looked like a mixture of all of the other five combined - bubbly but gentle, loud and bold but subtle and sturdy, glimmering and graceful all at the same time.

Overall, this room reminded me of a colony of ants that had made their anthill out of a crystal. As I looked down at the white floor, I spotted various different groups of ponies, some who were chattering amongst their friend groups in random parts of the room, others walked from one room to another carelessly. I spotted a few unicorns practicing spells with each other, as well as a few other ponies practicing their combat skills. And to add to the list, there were several Pegasai that fluttered around the open air, stopping and talking to one another on occasion as they flew around. This place looked like a true community, mixed with every race of pony without any thought about who was the next to them or who they were. No one looked as if they were worried about their next meal or their house, no - everypony looked happy. It was almost too good to be true.

Spinner pulled my attention away from the large room and towards the blue and purple balcony we were walking on. She stopped Code Red at the First door and handed him a Key to his room, telling him that his family might be awaiting him inside. This thought quickly perked up the grey stallion and he opened his door with a smile on his face that I had not seen since he was with his marefriend. He rushed into his room and then closed the white door behind him. Shortly following were the sounds of muffled joy filled screams and sobs. His family was in there alright.

We continued to walk past 3 more doors until Jockey was stopped. He looked warily at the other small mare, hesitant to walk into the room after he was given the key. He was trembling a slight amount, and if he was not a unicorn I don't think he would have been able to open his door. He opened the door slowly, and after a few steps inside his room did I hear the somewhat familiar voice of his Mother calling out his name. I had met her once before the games had started. The door closed behind him just as the sounds of sobs began to echo through the door.

I was next. I was nervous - who would be awaiting me inside? My brothers and my mother? Or I dare to think about my colt friend? what if they weren't in the room at all, roaming around and mingling among the diverse community? Spinner gave me the key and I took it up with a simple levitation spell, floating it next to me in a purple aura that I was familiar with. I brought it down to the doorknob and I stared at it, my heart pounding in my chest. Spinner had left my side and walked back the way we came, but the two stallions who had escorted us were still waiting next to me. I closed my eyes and inserted the key. I twisted it slowly, hearing the gears inside of the lock turning and clicking. I sighed and turned the doorknob. The door opened slowly, and I began to take steps inside. I pulled the key out of the lock and carefully shut the door, my back towards the hallway that led to a living room area.

I sighed again and turned to walk down the white, crystal hallway. Golden lanterns lined the walls and provided a soft light to the room. I strode slowly down towards the hallway, the only sound was my breathing and the clicking of my hooves on the floor. Was no pony home? The living room was brighter than the dimly lit hallway. A large circular sofa had been placed in the center of the room, facing a wall that was similar to the one in the hotel I had stayed at only a few months ago. It was perfectly flat and I knew that it doubled as a television. I stared at it for a few moments, trying to empty my mind of all thoughts.

There was a small area that had been closed off as a kitchen, though there was no fridge or a stove, only fancy marble countertops and a sink. There was a small dining area that was complete with six chairs. I walked towards the area, circling the table and viewing the bouquet of lilies that rested in the center of the table. I walked out of the kitchen and towards another hallway that had 4 doors. The first, on the left, led to a bathroom that was larger than I was expecting. It was far greater than the one at my old home. The other three doors led to bedrooms. One was fairly large and filled with 2 medium sized beds, one of which was messy and the other that was nicely cared for. I figured that this must be where my two brothers were staying. The second was roomy and contained evidence that it had been slept in, so I figured that it had been used by my mother. The third was completely untouched and I figured that it was my own room. The sheets were a silvery green color that reminded me of glossy swamp water. The walls were a light brown crystal, making the room feel more cave and forest like, which I didn't mind. The furniture was made out of a similar stone, but was in a darker hue. The lights were friendly and cozy, and made the room tie together.

I shuddered when I glanced to the top of my dresser, where three different photos stood, framed. The first was one that was in my old home, so I knew it well. It was of my family a few days after my father had left. My mother was standing in the back, a sad little smile on her face. The smile that told so much pain and loneliness. My youngest brother, Flashlight, was cheery and squirming next to her, somewhat reluctant to take the photo. My Older brother stood next to him, trying to wrangle him as best as he could, a frustrated smile on his face as he was laughing. And then there was me, sitting in the front, staring straight at the camera that was taking the picture. There was a tiny smile on my face, but I looked like I didn't want to be there. My youthful eyes were filled with hatred - a hatred that was so directed at my father. I sort of wished that I could have gotten my act together for the picture, as it would have made this moment feel . . . different. The second picture was one of me and Circuit. He was giving me a kiss on my cheek as my face was scrunched up and red from the shock. The picture made my heart ache, as the love we had for each other was so special and so precious. He understood me like no pony else, and I sort of wanted him here to hug me and tell me that it would be okay. I wanted to tell him that I was sorry. And yet, he wasn't here. He might even be dead.

The third and final picture caught me off guard, for it was a picture of me and my father. We were embraced in a tight hug, and it was in that picture that I had never looked happier. I stared at that picture, furrowing my eyes together in an intense stare as if I was trying to set the thing of fire. It probably would have if I wanted it to, but a voice met my ears. The voice froze me solid and I dared not move. For it was a voice that I had not heard in years, but even though It had been unheard for so long I knew exactly who it was. I didn't know what to do. If I should scream or run or ignore him.

"Terra? Terra North? Is that really you?"

I didn't want to answer. I couldn't. My throat tightened up and I couldn't speak. I didn't even turn to face the stallion whom I knew was standing in the hallway.

"Terra. . . You. . ."

His voice sounded sad, and it was painful to listen to. I bit my lip as a single tear managed to escape my eye. I was trembling again. I didn't know what to do. In fact, I didn't want to do anything. How could I? How could I talk to my Father again after everything he had done?