• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 5,220 Views, 63 Comments

Der Azurblaue Ritter des Betrügers - SwimmingDalek98



The Azure Nightmare has awoken after two millennia, and the Slaves of the Deceiver are bound by fate to stand by him. This is their story.

  • ...
15
 63
 5,220

Get your kicks on Route 66

Der Azurblaue Ritter des Betrügers

Get your kicks on Route 66

“C… Come… f… fo-” I descend into a hacking fit, and the spell I was making dissipates into dust. “D- damn… S- Still… w-weak…” I drop to my knees, and start coughing again.

“Hey! *crunch* Don’t overexert yerself!” I turn my head to the door, and see a redheaded girl. She wears a green jacket, and- woah, those are some short shorts. I look to her hand to see the source of the crunching sound, and see she has a chocolate bar in one hand, and several bites in it. She walks over to me, and lifts me onto my bed, and scoffs, “Moron. You can’t even speak full sentences yet, and you think you can try to walk around? Let alone cast any kind of magic?”

I shrug slowly, “One… way… find... out… right?”

She scoffs, “Whatever. Hey, want one?” She holds another, unwrapped candy bar before me, which I take. I simply nod, before slowly taking off the wrapping. I sink my teeth into the candy, before moaning in delight. It’s been a while since I’ve had chocolate bars. Wait, they don’t even have a way to make chocolate into bars like this. How could she have gotten a chocolate bar? I turn to her inquisitively, motioning to the bar of candy.

“... What about it?”

“How… was… it… made?” Her expression changes, and now she looks rather confused.

“Whaddya mean ‘how was it made’? It was made at a fact- oh. You really don’t know what happened to yourself, did you?”

I shake my head in the negative, letting her eyes widen with awe, “W-well… I think you may wanna listen closely… it’s a long story.”

I sit up as much as I can, and fold my hands upon my lap. I watch as the redhead bring up a chair, and sets it beside me.

“See… it all starts in a kingdom, ruled by two pony sisters…”


“That… That’s what this whole thing is all about…” She nervously looks about, trying to avoid eye contact with me.

Holy shit. It’s all a show. A kid’s TV show.

“How… long?” I rasp out, which catches her attention.

“How long what?”

“How… long… asleep?”

The girl sighs, “From… from what I’ve seen, you’ve been turned to stone for at least two thousand years.”

Two thousand. Two. Thousand. Years. That’s two thousands. And that’s terrible.

“What… of… Sol… ar… is?” What happened? What happened to him? I raise my hand to my mouth, as my breath becomes rapid and unsteady.

“Who’s that?”

“Fa… ther… of… Tia…” I try to restrain myself, but enter a coughing fit. She places her hand on me, and holds me steady as I begin to hack up blood.

“Hey! Calm down! Just take it-”

ANSWER!” My body surges with magic, as non-Euclidean shapes materialize around me.

“Sakura!” The doorway is now filled with four other girls, my other caretakers, who look ready to attack.

She looks legitimately scared, and almost reaches for a ring upon her finger, but I look her dead in the eye, and she stops in her tracks. Killing intent. Even without physical strength, one’s killing intent can never be mistaken. She begins trembling in place, and I keep glaring at her.

“Answer… now…” I ignore the blood slowly trickling down my mouth, and she nods in response.

“H… Homura…” Sakura turns, and looks to the calm, dark-haired member of the group.

“Yes?” The sheer level of control in her voice, despite my overwhelming killing intent, surprises me. Had I not been bedridden, lacking of all physical energy, and pissed off, I would probably be giving her a round of applause. But I’m not.

Sakura steadies herself, “Wh-what… became… of Celestia and Luna’s dad in this world?”

Homura stares at me for a moment, to which I respond by weakening my aura. She merely reaches for a book, and flips it open to a specific page.

“After the defeat of the dæmonic Nightmare, King Solaris and Queen Artemis disappeared under mysterious circumstances. To this date, there has been no clear evidence of where they went, or why.”

My heart sinks. Is this what you do to me, brother? After all we’ve been through…


2006 Years ago, Equestria Castle, Everfree Forest

“... I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss the bride.” The priest grins, and steps back as Solaris and Artemis embrace heartily. The crowd bursts into applause and cheers. I stand by Solaris’ side, proudly watching my friend, whose countless months of persistence finally blossoming into his one true goal in life.

Ah… young love…” I sigh dramatically, and clasp my hands together. Solaris shoots me a playful glare, before returning to his new bride. I grin, and walk to the side, taking for myself a glass of wine.

My eyes begin darting about the place, nervously noting the exact quantity of people in the room, and the ratio of armed guardsmen to the civilians. I take in the quantity of Seraphs, and Hyur. I closely examine all of them to see any places where weapons could be kept.

“Letting paranoia overtake common sense again, Nightmare?” Faust now stands beside me, grinning at my expression, or lack thereof, a trait I display when thoroughly analyzing a room.

Ma’am, I do believe that’s what I’m paid for.” I keep looking about, but maintain the illusion of my speaking with her.

“You know, you CAN have off days. Just let loose for once. Come now, drink from that glass, before I do.”

Do you honestly want a dark sorcerer with alcohol in his bloodstream?” I raise an inquisitive eyebrow to the queen, who laughs in response.

“C’mon, we got you out of the armor. Why not go all the way?” I look down to the azure suit I now sit in. My danger sense is only amplified with the frail cloth being the only thing protecting my body from would-be assassins.

... Because I’m a paranoid magic knight who is in a kingdom with a secret society.” Despite the few months that have passed since the discovery of the Circle’s existence, we have drawn no closer to uncovering them than before. None of Mott’s servants recognized the symbol of the Circle, and there’s no historical records relating to them. So far, I’ve become extremely pissed regarding them.

Faust’s expression turns to a frown at that, “You are NOT to mention that. Not here. Not on the happiest day of MY daughter’s life. For once, just let yourself have FUN, for crying out loud!”

“She’s right you know.” I look to my shoulder, and see Airy, waving her finger. “Tsk, tsk. Old Nighty can’t be a big sourpuss all the time.”

... Y’know what? You really wanna do this? Fine. But remember: I warned you.” I tilt the wine to my lips, and let it pass through.

You’d better not go overboard with this.” Bite me, hothead.

“Nightmare? Are you alright? Certainly, you can hold your wine better than this?”

There are over thirty-eight males in the room, and an almost equal quantity of females. At least half are Hyur, another quarter is Seraph, and the remainder is Arcanus. Royalty notwithstanding.

“He’s fine.” Airy giggles, before jumping off of my shoulder, and floating away, following the movement of the crowd to the ballroom.

I hold my dæmonic arm out at a crook, and Faust chuckles, “Oh? What’s this, then?”

What knight would I be if I didn’t escort my queen? And what kind of friend would I be if I did the same to my comrade’s mother-in-law?

“Well, this is a definite change in attitude. Mayhaps we’ll have you drink more often.” She slips her arm into mine, but slowly, letting her arm settle against the carapace, which pulses raw magic in response.

We walk into the ballroom, and I see Airy sitting upon the piano, cheerfully waving for the guests to enter.

Eventually, the room is filled aplenty, and the guests begin to dance a slow dance. I watch from the shadows, letting boredom take me over. In all of the recent excitement regarding the Circle and the wedding between my old friend, I’d forgotten the absolute tediousness of royal courts and ballroom dances. Great Cthulhu, the dances! I never thought something could drag on for so damnably long.

I take a sip of wine, before stopping and staring dumbfounded at the glass. WOW, this is worse than I thought. Imma do it again. And again. And again.

I have an idea.” Shit, I’ll hear it. At this point, anything’s better than this. And again.

Airy. Song. Now.” … That is quite possibly the most brilliant thing you’ve ever said. Any recommendations you’d like me to give her? And again.

Oh, you should know…” Oh, fuck the hell yes. No wonder you’re my best friend, Inferno. I trot over to the fae, and whisper a few words into her ear, and step back. She jumps over to the musicians, and signals them to stop.

“Ah-hem! Ladies and gentlemen, this song is hereby dedicated to our lovely bride and fantastic groom, courtesy of the Azure Nightmare!” A small round of applause fills the air, as I merely pull a Gatsby, raising my glass to Solaris as he chuckles, and covers his face in embarrassment.

The pianist watches as music notes appear in the air before him, composed entirely of fae magic. He straightens up, and then begins tapping at the signalled notes.

Hey, I heard you were a wild one
Ooh
If I took you home,
It’d be a home run
Show me how you do

I take another hearty gulp of wine, before refilling my glass. And then downing it. Whoo, why is it there’s more people than I remember counting?

Oh, shit, here we go.

I wanna shut down the club
With you
Hey I heard you like the wild ones
Ooh

Sir, please hold my drink. I do think shit’s about to get real.” In an instant, I feel myself flung onto the stage by a mysterious force, and before I’m even able to calculate what’s going on, I’m singing. I gotta get more of this stuff for later.

I like crazy, foolish, stupid
Party going wild, fist pumping music,
I might lose it
Blast to the roof, that’s how we do’z it
I don’t care the night, she don’t care we like
Almost dared the right five
Ready to get live, ain’t no surprise
Take me so high, jumping nose dive
Surfing the crowd
Ooh
Said I gotta be the man
I’m the head of my band, mic check one two
Shut ‘em down in the club while the playboy does it, and y’all get lose, lose
After bottle, we all get bent and again tomorrow
Gotta break loose cause that’s the motto
Club shuts down, a hundred super models

Holy shit, where’d all that air come from? I’m not one to raise my voice. I was always quiet, even back home. I rarely yelled, except when a ritual would call for it. But before I can even make a move, Airy continues.

Hey, I heard you were a wild one
Ooh
If I took you home
It’d be a home run
Show me how you do

I try to catch my breath, and I cast a spell, sending my drink back into my hand. I down it, and put it back into the crowd, “Refill that, please. I’m gonna need it.

I wanna shut down the club
With you
Hey I heard you like the wild ones
Ooh

Here we go, round two. HAVE AT IT, THEN!

Party rocker, foot-show stopper
More Chambord
Number one club-popper
Got a hangover like too much vodka
Can’t see me with ten binoculars
So cool
No doubt by the end of the night
Got the clothes coming off
Til I make that move
Somehow, someway, gotta raise the roof, roof
All black shades when the sun comes down
Uh-oh, it’s on like everything goes
Round up baby tilt the freaky show

I release a mental squeal of joy when I see my glass being passed through the crowd and placed at the edge of the stage.

What happens to that body, it’s a private show
Stays right there, private show
I like ‘em untamed, don’t tell me how pain
Tolerance, bottoms up with the champagne
My life, call my homie then we hit Spain
Do you busy with the ball, we get insane

The moment the fae magic releases its grasp on me, I drop to one knee, and gulp the drink down. I look around, and see Solaris standing in shock, with Artemis laughing, an arm draped over his shoulder.

Hey, I heard you were a wild one
Ooh
If I took you home
It’d be a home run
Show me how you do
I wanna shut down the club
With you
Hey I heard you like the wild ones
Ooh

I cast a spell, placing thin shadows over the candles and the chandelier, creating a completely different setting. Now, the room has become dark, and acquired a significantly more romantic atmosphere. The crowd gets the message, and parts, letting the couple hold each other closely, and begin to dance.

I am a wild one
Break me in
Saddle me up let’s begin
I am a wild one
Tame me now
Running with wolves and I’m on the prowl

My enhanced eyes note that the newlyweds are completely focused on each other. Their bearing is better than most of the battalion. Hey, I could actually use that for recruits. Let me see… ‘The PRINCESS has better bearing than you maggots do, and she doesn’t even HAVE to stand at attention!’ Yeah, that’ll work. Where was I? Oh, yeah. Wine.

Show you another side of me
Another side you never thought you would see
Tear up that body
Dominate til you’ve had enough
I hear you like
The wild stuff

Oh, shit. I forgot some of these lyrics are more than suggestive. Well, nobody seems to mind. I turn, and slowly begin walking to the hallway. I make a sharp turn, and enter another hallway. I walk until I see a door which has two guards on both its sides. “Gentlemen. Would you mind granting me entrance? There’s something I need to get.” They nod, and one grabs the keys, unlocking the door with ease, revealing the armory, and Soul Edge on the opposite wall, staring right back at me.

Hey I heard you were a wild one
Ooh
If I took you home
It’d be a home run
Show me how you do

I let the suit burn away, and command Soul Edge into my hand, and around me, my azure armor builds up. I clip Soul Edge’s sheathe to my hip, and turn around, and I’m staring straight at Faust.

I wanna shut down the club
With you
Hey I heard you like the wild ones
Ooh

I stare at her, huff, then walk straight past her, ignoring her glare as I head to the gate. In the sky above, the moon shines brightly, reflecting off of my armor. I stare at it for but a moment, before leaping over the castle wall.

I am a wild one
Break me in
Saddle me up and let’s begin
I am a wild one
Tame me now
Running with wolves and I’m on the prowl


As the sun rises into the air, I draw my blade from my latest kill, an extremely large manticore, and the soul wells up into me. I swing Soul Edge around, and sheathe it in a single motion. I grab the kill in my claw, and raise it into the air, and walk back to the castle. As I reach the gate, I toss a glare at the watchmen, who quickly call for it to open.

As the gate opens, I’m greeted with Faust, with a few guards at her sides, “I see you’ve been having fun.”

Needed to patrol. Couldn’t handle the large crowd.

“Is that reason for you to walk out on your best friend’s wedding?”

Please, don’t test the limits of my patience right now. I already hate myself for it as is.” I walk past her, and adjust my grip on the kill.

“... You also have a visitor waiting in the training yard.” At that, I turn my head, a look of panic betraying my features.

Well, time to face the music. As I turn the corner, I hand the manticore over to the butcher, who I’ve formed a strange friendship with, and he nods his usual nod. I swear, he looks like Jamie Hyneman, too. The exact same glasses, bushy eyebrows, and walrus mustache.

“Hello, old friend.” My heart stops. I turn, and my eyes fall upon Solaris, who’s currently leaning against a training wall.

... I apologize for my early absence last night. If I stayed any longer, I would’ve begun frisking everyone in the room.

“That’s not what I’m here for. Although, note that I do forgive you for that. I’ve become aware of your… issue with crowds. That ceremony let me realize something. You’re alone, Nightmare.”

I scoff, “I needn’t company when I have my duties. You and I both know how I operate. Leave me to my work, and I’m just fine.

“But you can’t always bury your frustrations in your work. I’ve seen you, late at night. Hell, you let yourself be deprived of sleep for weeks at a time! And when you DO decide to sleep, it’s in the barracks, or sometimes right on your own desk! You don’t even use the room the queen has so graciously provided you! That bed has not seen an occupant since it’s been given to you! I just- Gah! Nightmare, hold out your hand.”

I raise an eyebrow, but obey, showing him my dæmon claw.

“Would’ve preferred you use the other one, but that’d mean taking off the armor. I… guess this is fine. For now.” As I go to question him, I watch as he raises his own arm, and- YOG-SOTHOTH’S TENTACLED BEARD! He just… He just STABBED HIMSELF IN THE HAND! With a knife? How long’s he had THAT on him?

“Now… hold out your hand…” I tell myself not to, but this form’s need to feed on blood proves stronger than my own will. I wince as his knife dives into a soft spot on my palm, and then, he shakes my hand. With his injured one.

“We are brothers. In blood, and in battle. Now and forever.” I stare at him, and watch as my own hand rapidly patches itself up, and absorbs his blood. Then I turn my gaze, and see my dæmonic ichor flow into his own wound, and rapidly repair itself.

S… Solaris… I… I don’t even know what to say… I… Why? You’ve no obligations to do such a thing… Solaris… I-I…” For the first time in the year and a half since I’ve arrived here, I cry. Tears flow under my armor, and I drop to my knees, “Solaris… B-b-brother…” I reach forth, and he steps down, hugging me tight.

“Shh… Be at peace… It’s alright now… you’re not alone… You’re not alone…”


Present Day, hidden cottage, White-Tail Woods

Damn, Solaris, you couldn’t have run like that… it’s not like you…

“Hey… are you alright?” I turn, to see the five staring right at me. I shake my head, and motion that I’m alright, although still rather weak.

“Fine…” I wheeze, before taking a bite of chocolate, smiling to myself as the confection melts along my taste buds.

“Well, if you need anything, just call us, okay?” The pink haired one places her hand on my shoulder, and gazes right into my eyes.

I nod in the affirmative to this, and as they turn to leave, I wave at the black-haired one.

“Yes?” She walks back to me, and then sits in the chair the redhead was in.

“Need… answers… How… long… until… start… of… show?”

Homura stares at me in a completely deadpan manner, before handing me a history book.

“We have at least eight months before the events of the Season One opener begins. The one thousandth Summer Sun Celebration will begin then, and Nightmare Moon will be released. Six mares, or women in this case, will save the world from eternal night with the Elements of Harmony.”

Elements of Harmony… where have I heard that before? And how is that supposed to help them against this Nightmare Moon?

“Homura!” The blue-haired one dashes in, repeatedly gasping for breath.

“What’s the problem?”

“W-w-witch! Big one! In forest! Moving… to village!”

“I’ll be ready in a moment.” This ‘Homura’ girl stands up, and then reaches for a ring upon her finger, similar to the one that the redhead has. It glows, and before my very eyes, she’s in an entirely new getup, now with a skirt… and is that pantyhose?

“Wh… What… ha-” She raises a finger to my mouth, and shushes me, before turning and joining with her comrade.

“Ready?”

“Yes.” In a flash, the two are both gone, leaving me sitting in my bed, flabbergasted. Okay, THIS I gotta see! I don’t care if I’m aching! I slowly step out of bed, and begin to limp forwards, clinging to as many things as I can, and barely maintaining my balance. With effort, I reach the door, and pry it open, letting natural sunlight fall upon my skin. I feel the wind push my hair about, and feel a smile consume my features.

That’s the last thing I do before passing out.


2006 Years Ago, Equestria, border of the Everfree Forest

My patrol has taken me to the very edge of the forest. I stare out at the vast, unclaimed plains that lie before me. The planes that await Equestrian settlers. A smile grows on my face, and I grin at the untamed fields before me. Here, is where we shall expand. Here, is where-

Enjoying the view, old boy?” I turn, and notice Silkius standing beside me, checking her nails.

To say the least. This… this could become an amazing place to build upon. Imagine it… cities spreading out for miles, acres of homes, streets lined with goods…” I sigh, as the fantastic images coat my vision.

... Indeed. How very intriguing…” Silkius drones, and turns to me, “Say… I was planning on a large dinner with some of the other hives, and I thought ‘Hmm, why not invite those Equestrian nobles?’ I mean, how better to make introductions than with a grand display of our festivities, and immediately after a royal wedding, when everyone’s going to be absolutely ecstatic?

... Y’know what? Why not. I’ll do it. It’d be a good way to kick off the honeymoon. Just don’t let Lady Faust at the wine. Trust me, it’s for the good of all involved. It took us weeks to remove the fish scent from the armory.” I take careful note of Silkius’ bewilderment, and inwardly chuckle.

What’re you talking about?” It’s better than saying she tries her hand at karaoke. THAT was a nightmare.

I’ll… keep that in mind…” Silkius shakes her head, before looking out again at the vast plains.

Hey… what’s that?” My honed, dæmonic vision notices a small form rapidly moving in the distance, and closing in fast. It appears to be a quadruped of some sort, but I still can’t exactly make out the features. I notice that around it, some larger creatures follow it, but are struggling to keep up. A hunt? Wait, something’s not right…

My word… is that a Dæmon Steed?” Silkius’ mouth now hangs agape, and I reach for my blade.

Mind telling me what one of those are, and how dangerous they could be? And who’s following it?” I draw Soul Edge out, and it morphs into its Male form instantly. I swing it about, before setting it in the ground in front of me, blade pointed to the incoming Steed.

A being bred in Tartarus for calvalry. But I’ve never seen one in person before… How did it get out of Tartarus? Those gates were to be unbreakable.” I roll my eyes. Girl, if you think that one gate is going to restrain dæmons, you need to do better research. The only way to even come close to restraining the great Yog-Sothoth was to cram him outside of conventional space-time, and that guy can STILL raise hell wherever he wants. Like Dunwich. That was a weird way to receive ‘the talk’.

If you’re done commenting on your little cult’s mortifying history lessons, can we get onto dealing with the problem at hand?” Whatever, barrel-man. “Shut the hell up.

The Dæmon Steed comes ever closer, and my eyes close in on the creatures following it. They appear to be on mounts of their own, similar to the Steed, but slower. They wield mainly axes and hammers. The lot of them have a dark green-gray skin, and have large boar-like tusks.

Silkius gasps, “Dæmons… They’ve gotten out of Tartarus… They may not be particularly bright, but they are powerful… Oh, no...

I take a moment to analyze the souls of the creatures, “Oh, yes…” Large, and covered to the brim in sin. Soul Edge purrs in anticipation, and I feel my dæmon claw twitching with it. Well, I’m already going to hell. Why not get to know my neighbors?

I leap from the tree-line, charging at full speed, and make a sharp slide, letting the Dæmon Steed pass me by, and hold up my own blade. The riders slow down, snarling and laughing.

“Oi! Look wot we got ‘ere, boss! A lit’l mort’l knighty!” Okay, apparently dæmons have Cockney accents and say everything phonetically… Why does this seem so damnably familiar?

“Whot’s da big idea? We waz about to get ourshelves a fancy new horsey!” Okay, that absolute massacre of the common language is an offense I absolutely cannot abide by.

I swing Soul Edge about, before placing it before me, “If you want that Steed… You’ll have to take it from me.

The riders grew deathly silent, and their faces surprisingly grim. I use my Soul Sense, as I so dubbed it a while ago (copyrighted, too, bitches). I find that there are seven dæmons total. A smug grin manifests under my mask, and I lash out at the rider to my left, and completely sever his leg, leaving a small scratch along his Steed.

“GAGH!” As he falls, another comes up behind me. I leap into the air, and drop my blade onto his head. I then grab his axe, and hurl it into another rider’s head. The crippled one throws a lasso onto my throat.

“Got ye now, ya daft bashtard!”

Oh, do you, now?” I place my dæmon claw on the lasso, and it launches a wave of hellfire along it, before completely engulfing his arm.

“AH! HELP ME! ITSH GOT ME! OH, IT BURNS!” I grab Soul Edge from the corpse of my second foe, and leap into the air away from them. I need a moment to decide what move I could use against them. Let’s see… Something classy... Ah!

Well, this has been fun. But now, it’s time to say good-bye!” I dash into the lot of them, and slam Soul Edge into the ground, creating a shockwave, propelling them into the air. As they all fall down, I reposition myself to make sure that they’re all in a single line…

Inferno Divider!” I hold Soul Edge out in the air, before slamming it down, making a wave of dark magic that travels straight out, perfectly bifurcating the lot of them, yet also ignoring the Steeds.

Hah. I expected more from the fabled dæmons of Tartarus… I didn’t even HAVE to transform to eliminate them. Pathetic.” I scoff, and turn away, letting Soul Edge draw in their flesh and souls. As I walk away, I hear whining of a sort. I turn, and notice that one of the Steeds is about to be caught up in Soul Edge’s feeding through a scar on its side. Its blood is adding to the small river that Soul Edge feasts on, as it whinnies in pain, being drawn in as if it were in quicksand. I momentarily consider adding it to my harvest, but decide against it. Too pure. Too beautiful and powerful a beast to ever be a meal. I exert my will over the blade’s hunger, letting the creature escape.

Bah. These dæmons are delicious enough. I needn’t add an animal to my feast.” I huff in return, before turning around again, and being face-to-face with the first Dæmon Steed I saw. Or rather, face-to-snout. It releases a single snort, leaving a small cloud of dust. I look up, and stare right into its scarlet eyes. I look further up, and see that it has a pair of ram’s horns atop its head, and a lion’s mane. Its entire body is coated in powerful muscles that ripple with every motion.

... Can I help you?” The Steed glares at me, pulling its lips back slowly, revealing a set of powerful, pearl-white teeth, and then-

*SLURP*

It licked me. The bugger licked me. I stare at it again, now noting that it has a slightly softer expression. Was it toying with me? I slowly reach my claw up to it, and to my surprise, it puts its head into my claw, and rubs it, almost demanding I pet it.

Uh… Inferno, what do I do?

Mmph, can’t talk now, eating.” Fucking fatass. Of course you abandon me in the socially awkward moment.

The beast whinnies at me, and- is it smiling? It’s so weird… but it looks so cool! I decide to let my inner man-child take over. I walk over to its side, before noting it swishing its tail. Which looks back at me. It’s a snake. The Dæmon Steed has a god-damn snake for a tail. That wasn’t innuendo.

I slowly put my claw up on its side, before pushing down, and hopping atop the Steed. I nervously stare at the creature, who looks back with the best shit-eating grin I’ll ever see on a horse face.

Well… what now?” In that instant, the Steed makes a hard 180, and charges around the field, with my barely holding on.

AH! G-FORCE! IN! MY! FACE!” I sheathe Soul Edge, and use both my hands to carefully grasp its mane, as the creature keeps on running about at speeds that could make Sonic green with envy.

Okay! You wanna show off, huh? Well, let’s play a game...” I pull its mane up, and force it to rear up, and turn around, and dash into the woods. Within an instant, he reaches the tree line, and I look to Silkius, who is understandably shocked.

Hark! I hath found a fair lady at the forest’s edge! What is thy purpose in this wild, dangerous, unclaimed territory?” The Steed looks at me, confused for a moment, until I wink, at which it begins to- I kid you not- actually dramatically winnie.

... Is this a knight that stands before me?” Oh, by Hastur, is she playing along? Must. Resist. Urge. To. Squee!

Your eyes do not deceive you, m’lady! I am the Azure Nightmare, having just returned from slaying a band of vile dæmons who threatened this valiant and noble Steed’s freedom!” The Steed puffs its chest out, and trots around Silkius, displaying its raw muscle and finesse.

What a fortunate turn of events! I had lost my way in returning to my home, and I would much appreciate an escort, honorable Nightmare!” I look to the Steed, and give him a devious smile that shines through my eyes, to which he returns in full.

Oh! To deny such a request would disgrace my status as a knight of the great kingdom of Equestria! Verily, I shall take thee back to thy noble home, posthaste!” I reach out with my small hand, of which she takes, and uses to raise herself up. The Steed even kneels to assist, before standing again at his full height.

Mighty steed! Take us away from this place!” I lightly kick him, and he charges off, with Silkius now screaming at the top of her lungs. Completely un-lady-like, frankly.

AH! THIS! ISN’T! FUNNY! OH, BY THE GODS! SOMEONE MAKE THIS DEATH RIDE END! HELP!” The Steed and I laugh at her priceless reaction, before I pull him to make a turn to her cavern home. We slow to a weak trot, and finally halt. It and I look back, only to fall into a fit of laughter, and I off the Steed.

Hah, hah, hah. Very funny. If you don’t mind, I’m going to get some sleep. Good day, Nightmare.” She clambers off the steed, and walks back to the

I look to the Steed, and raise an inquisitive eyebrow, “Should we tell her?” The Steed shakes his head in the negative, before trotting away.

Yeah… I think it’d be better if she found out for herself, anyways… You also might wanna speed it up a bit. Correction: Get us the FUCK out of here before she does.” When the Steed looks at me in a confused manner, I point my dæmon thumb at the cavern, which begins to shudder with raw magic.

"WHAT IN THE NINE CIRCLES OF TARTARUS HAPPENED TO MY HAIR?

The Steed’s eyes widen, and before I know it, we’re already speeding through the forest. I guide him carefully in the direction of the castle, and we slowly come to a stop before its gates.

Okay, fairly certain we’re out of firing range. So, wanna meet my friends?

The Steed grins, if you can call it that, and we enter the castle. I guide the Steed into the armory, and step off, “Hello, boys! I got a ride that doesn’t buckle under my weight! Now I can ride with the cavalry division! Isn’t that swell?

Everyone pretty much stares openly, before shaking their heads and realizing it’s me that’s behind this, and resume work. “Just Nightmare doing his thing again.”

I guide the Dæmon Steed into the stables, and I notice Gale, a Seraph and our quartermaster’s apprentice, approaching me, “Gale, old boy! Just the man I was looking for! now, could you go and get a really, REALLY big saddle for this one right here?

“Uhm… okay… I’ll… get it right away…” I swear, that boy has no backbone. He’s a doormat. The whole ‘pink hair’ problem doesn’t help matters.

Solaris stomps over, “What in the hell is this, Nightmare? You’ve done a lot of stupid things, but a Dæmon Steed? These are wielded by those horrific dæmon raiders as they plunder and pillage OUR villages. They drove us here, into these woodlands, to hide away like beasts.”

But the Steeds themselves weren’t doing anything. They were tools, to be used by those raiders. I am simply being a pragmatist, something the lot of you have been having difficulty understanding.” I see Gale coming to me, with a large enough saddle for the Steed, though it is simple torn leather, and a matching harness. I slide the saddle on, and the Steed lets the harness onto his head surprisingly easily.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I would like to have some time to get used to me new friend. FORWARD!” I aim Soul Edge, and the Steed bursts from the stables, while I jump on as he charges away.


Before long, we’ve reached the far coast, and now sit on the moonlit shore. The sand is constantly lashed at by the waves, like an unending assault against an invincible barrier. The wind flows, and I feel the salt-coated air lash against the opening of my helmet. I wince, and try to blink the salt from my eyes, as the Steed slows down. “Stop here… let me off… I would like… to do something… for a moment...” I step off the Steed, and hold out Soul Edge to its forehead.

An interesting specimen… But you surely don’t mean…” Yes, I do. I most certainly do. “But you’ve only the ability to make ONE of these at a time! To forge such a contract… with a beast like this!” Says the soul-eating blade that creates hellfire and looks like something out of a hentai.

Fair enough. Just don’t come crying back to me when it turns out to be useless.” Whatever.

Soul Edge’s eye ‘widens’, even though it has no eyelids, really. The pupils sort of… contract, looking like it’s opening its eye. Anyways, its eye widens, and a crimson aura seeps out. I look to the Steed, who is now covered in a potent magical circle, “Noble Dæmon Steed of Tartarus… I am the Azure Nightmare, the Dark Blade of Faust, Servant to the Crawling Chaos, Nyarlathotep, and Master Sorcerer of the Cult of the Crimson Lamia. I bid thee… to be my familiar, here and forevermore! To serve me, and offer me your strengths! In exchange I offer thee asylum, from all thy enemies! Mighty Steed, what say you?

The Steed looks about for a moment at the runes and circles, before staring back at me. Its heavy gaze digs into my own, before it bows its head, and bends its legs, entering a bow.

Then rise, mighty Steed, and be baptized in the fires of Soul Edge, the Blade of the Damned!” The Steed rises, and even though the hellfire dances about its body, it receives no pain. It calmly steps through the fire, and presses its skull against my own.

You did not falter, and thus, the flames did not harm thee. Truly, you are a familiar most would beg for.” Take that, hothead. “Now, you are no longer a mere nameless beast of that infernal pit. You are reborn, as Cimarron, Stallion of the Azure Knight! Now, great Cimarron, SHOW ME WHAT YOU CAN DO, AS MY FAMILIAR!” I leap over my newly contracted servant’s shoulder, and onto his back. I place Soul Edge in my dæmon claw, and use my more dextrous left hand to hold his reins. Cimarron rears, and his powerful cry echoes into the night.

We ride out, into the night, as the moon and the stars illuminates our pathway. Behind us, the only sign of our passing is the rustling of leaves in the wind. Before us, enemies hiding in fear. I stand ready to face them, and now, I am not alone.

I am the Azure Nightmare, and I fear nothing.

Comments ( 18 )

Huh...huh....woah...I'm liking this...I'm liking this alot...*scrolls over to like and fav* Now what are the chances he finds Soul Caliber and not Soul Edge

ok this has gone from interest to attention to I need to see where this goes also i belive this is an appropriate thing to say now
in the immortal words of sammael darksiders edition

YOU ARE WAR RIDER OF THE RED HORSE

whatever happened i now need to know how the girls play into this i need to know what happened to solaris I NEED TO KNOW
you have crafted an amazing world to read in just 4 chapters excuse me a moment i need to collapse due to adrenaline.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ok im back now calm i can say that this is going to take the readers places an i cannot wait to see those places

5620259 Well, he's not going cuckoo because he was grown around the idea of Lovecraftian abominations existing. Meanwhile, with normal people in Lovecraft's stories, their minds can't accept the idea. It's kind of like culture shock, but with creatures from beyond the void of the universe. And who says he's NOT crazy? After all, he DID accept the powers of Soul Edge rather quickly… And he's alright with it eating souls constantly. And hearing their tortured screams. He may or may not be less sane than he appears. But saying it flat-out wouldn't be too interesting, wouldn't it?

this is a sweet story, hope you update soon

Hnngh... hrrk... levels of awesome... too powerful... to withstand!

5633935 YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND OUR TRUE POWER!

5634049 Arrrgh!
*drops to the ground and begins convulsing into a seizure*

5683594 It's the only symbol I could think of on the spot. It's really just a tattoo so that Nighty could realize how irrefutably boned he was at the moment.

Okay, this story is awesome. Now I want to see what comes next for Nightmare and Cimarron. Also figuring out what's up with the madoka magi characters. Then again, there is the wait... Meh, it'll be worth it.

5752537 Indeed it will be, old sport. It will be.

So bad-ass.... ... ... ... cant wait FOR NEXT CHAPTER! BRO love the new mount!

Past and present portrayed simultaneously, bringing about two very distinct tales that intertwine beautifully. I'm loving this already! :pinkiehappy:

Aye, an' I as well, Lad. Both o' us be waitin' t' see what all ye'll bring t' us in th' future. Keep up th' incred'ble work, Lad.

Absolutely beautiful. I so can't wait for another, but alas. I must wait for another chapter for one of the most epic and badass characters of all time:rainbowdetermined2:

is the story dead?

I’m so pissed that there’s no next chapter right now

Login or register to comment