• Published 13th Dec 2017
  • 424 Views, 3 Comments

Spitfire: WonderBolt-Hood - Rattus and The Victor



Spitfire's acclimation to joining the WonderBolts.

  • ...
0
 3
 424

Fleetfoot

Fleetfoot and Spitfire stared in amazement and admiration at Soarin's cutie mark, even though it had already been days since he received it. The colors seemed to flash and shine on his flank, and he was quite proud of it himself. Once they had woken up the next day they all had noticed it almost immediately. He was so ecstatic he raced around in the mud, whining and jumping and turning his neck to stare at it.

They were all extremely sore, and bruised from their near death experience. This however, made Spitfire realize that they truthfully couldn't do this any longer. Maybe it was time to throw in the towel and give the CloudsDale idea a try. She didn't know how to bring it up, and she felt like the other foals already knew that is what they were thinking of.

She and Soarin both were missing many items from their bags that simply could not be found anywhere. Soarin was in shock when he found out he had lost his mothers pie tin, as evidently that was one of her favorites. Spitfire was relived to see that somehow, her now small bag of bits had survived- more so she was grateful that, against all the odds, the two ponies traveling with her did as well.

She had never known companionship nor commodore like this. Sure, at the circus it was faked and her family put an outward appearance of that, but she had never felt it like this. Even though they had almost been ripped apart by a storm, she had never felt more safe and daresay loved and accepted in her life. She rolled her eyes at herself and her sappy sentiments.

It was a nearly a clear day today, save a few rouge clouds gently floating in the sky. Spitfire thought that next time they got into the next town, she should not only hold a Cutecinyera for Soarin-perhaps by buying him a cake or something- but do something for Fleetfoot and him. They weren't exactly sure where they were however, as the map was one of the first things to blow away.

The sun had never felt so welcoming on their coats as it did today. They hadn't done any serious flying since Soarin got his cutie mark, and they were all still a little beaten from the experience, but Fleetfoot seemed like she was ready to get back in the air. Though she thought it advisable to wait until everypony else was as well.

"Everypony! Do you see that?" Fleetfoot suddenly yelled, pointing towards the edge of what looked like a prestigious town. They all immediately recognized it as Canterlot. Fleetfoot seem especially excited about this, rearing up and whining before galloping towards it.

"Hey! Wait up! Spitfire yelled.

"I can't believe we found Canterlot!" Soarin sounded in ethereal bliss.

Spitfire had never seen a place more...magical. Every road they walked and corner they turned had an enchanted touch to it;the city screamed royalty and bleed opulence. The buildings shimmered and towered over them in the sunlight. Each bush was immaculately trimmed and each pony walking on the streets did so stylishly and confidently. Spitfire had never seen anything like it. She could even see the castle in the distance, and the giant waterfall beneath it.

The threesome had a hard time sticking together as a different thing would catch their eyes. This was however, when Spitfire noticed a "Missing" poster with their faces on it. "Uh, guys?" she said, trying to catch their attention. The two looked at her questioningly.

"What's wrong?" Fleetfoot asked.

"Look." she said, pointing at it.

"Spitfire...here is the thing. Me and you both know it is probably about time to end this anyway. I-well, me and Soarin were kinda discussing on the way here that we should probably turn ourselves in once we got to the next town. And well, we are here now...so..." A part of Spitfire's heart ached.

"I-I understand." Spitfire said. "But...could we go for one last race before we do that?"

"Sure." Soarin said, now popping up, eyeing the poster. "I mean, that would be a good end to our little adventure."
End. Him just saying that word haunted her.

"Okay." she said, looking down at the ground. "Should we hold it at the town limits? Where we were earlier?"

"Absolutely." Fleetfoot said.

_____________________________________________________________________

Mr. and Mrs. CloudFluer tidied up their living room. Even though it already appeared it was spotless, they seemed to find something unsatisfactory every time they turned around. "She should be along soon, right?" the Mrs. asked.

"She should be, Junebug. She is never late."

On the coffee table there was a wide array of snacks and drinks- one got the impression they were hosting a meeting of of multitude of ponies. Mr. Cloudfluer heard a knock on the door and went to answer it. Stormy Flare walked in with a sense of being here many times before. She giggled when she looked at the table but sat down in a nearby chair.

"I would ask how you have been, but I know it hasn't been well." The parents all shared a short lived laugh.

Stormy Flare waltzed into the house and hoisted herself on the elegant, black velvet couch, helping herself to a comfortable amount of sweets. "So we all are certain, then?"

"Of course!" Mr. CloudFluer stated, also indulging in the wares laid out before them, "We'd know our daughter anywhere! And Soarin, the little neighbor colt, too. He passes by our house every day they'd get off school. We never saw them walking together though."

"It is quite peculiar how they seemed to have forged a bond strong enough to run away together so quickly," Junebug added, "She hadn't even so much as mentioned the colt!" She threw up her front hooves in exasperation, thus disturbing her elaborately styled sunflower mane. She however, seemed to care little about it in the privacy of her home.

"Oh?" Stormy Flare asked, "Hmm, I do agree, it all is very strange. My Spitfire can't even fly yet, so I can't imagine how she met your daughter and the other foal.

"Can't fly? How queer- you said she is about their age right? Does it run in your family?" Mr. CloudFluer prodded with a touch of concern, "I actually specialize in diagnosing these things."

"Not on my side, her fathers side is mostly earth ponies and unicorns, so it doesn't leave much room for wing issues."

"Hmm, perhaps it is psychological then." Junebug said, staring meditatively into her drink.

Stormy shrugged. "I don't suppose Fleetfoot ever mentioned wanting to run away? She seemed happy enough to me. Did I ever mention Spitfire around her?"

The parents sat in contemplation, grossly overthinking the situation, establishing connections that just weren't there to cope.

***

Fleetfoot eagerly stretched her wings, her head turned towards the sky. Wild honeysuckle and other flowers scent hung in the air like a fragrant perfume. The grass underneath her hooves had never felt so amazing, she seldom felt it after it had rained. She craned her neck to look at her companions. This has been one of the scariest things I have ever done, but I don't regret it, I got to meet these two ponies out of it, and that makes it worth it.

"Hey, Fleetfoot," Spitfire shyly began. Her face etched with insecure worry, "I-"

Soarin butted in, "GO!"

She took off as fast as she could physically manage. She strained every muscle she could into overtime in an attempt to keep up with Soarin, who had grown increasingly better at flying. He was even more brazenly cocky when he was reminded of his cutie mark. "It means I am meant for speed!" He had cheesiely stated, "Does this look like a WonderBolt cutie mark or what?" She giggled as she remembered her reply- "Or what I'd say."

They all had spent a lot of time racing since they had gotten to know eachother, however she craved to know both of them on a deeper, personal level. She had a suspicion they didn't want this- that they viewed friends as just for fun, and getting to know eachother would ruin it. Most ponies were like this- it took courage to care about someone, and even more to get to know them- few ponies in her life ever wanted to get to know her. She longed to know insignificant things about them however- she could feel her mothers psychology loving roots inside her and winced.

Having been caught up in thought, she lost the race. Soarin didn't waste a single moment to rub this in, flaunting his cutie mark and his powerful wings. Spitfire came in even slower than usual, appeared to be carrying something on one of her front hooves. She couldn't help but admire the golden glow that surrounded Spitfire. It reminded her of this odd feeling of hope she had gotten every now and then- a sensation that inspired her to buckle down and try harder.

"Finally, Fleetfoot, com'ere!" Spitfire yelled.

"Something wrong?" Fleetfoot asked curiously. "Wait, what's this...?"

"Here, take it, like this." Spitfire puffed, clinking the blue horseshoe into hers. "I saw this on a poster by the shop-the Wonderbolt's do it- this is a special kind of horseshoe. They only had one left. I wanted you to have it, you know? For, well for putting up with me and for being a friend. I hope we can stay friends after this and get to know eachother, you know, deep down and stuff. But I wanted you to have this just incase."

Fleetfoot pinned her ears back in astonishment, eyes widening with elation and surprise. "I do too Spitfire, I really do too, thank you, for this- though you aren't leaving my life until I say so!"

The two fillies laughed as they landed side by side, innocently unaware of the bright flash that sparkled across Fleetfoot's flank as the sun began to dive, casting light similar to it. The image of the blue horseshoe bounced across it, along with a gold aura of hope, valor, and courage.

Comments ( 2 )

Seriously man, this story is so underappreciated its ridiculous. Surely you'd think with such pacing and attention to detail there'd be at least 20 comments and 1000+ read. And here we are, 119 reads and 1 comment, What the fuck people???

Rattus I feel bad for you.

I would like to read more stories about best pony Spitfire and how she became a Wonderbolt. This is like the only one I can find and it's great so far.

Login or register to comment