• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 7,092 Views, 495 Comments

Saints and Sparkles - Etriax



While poking through the Zin's systems, Kinzie Kensington discovers a member of another alien race of unicorns, apparently. One that the Zin are very interested in. When the Boss hears of this, a rescue is mounted for this strange equine...

  • ...
26
 495
 7,092

Why would we go BACK?!

Twilight woke up to find herself on a cold metal floor, her eyes opening slowly as a bout of coughing hit her. Each hack hurt like no other, and coupled with the aching in her jaw, soreness of her horn, and debilitating pain in her belly, she was very aware very quickly.

She could feel a layer of warm cloth covering most of her body, and upon looking down at herself, she realized that she was now clad in one of the same grey jumpsuits as the rest of the President's friends. The way it looked suggested that this article of clothing wasn't meant for somepony like her, judging by the fact that the sleeves and legs appeared to have been cut off at some point. It was done rather sloppily, too. At the very least, though, she was thankful that she was warm... and alive.

"Oh, good. You're awake," a nearby voice chimed in, sounding feminine and familiar. Twilight very carefully moved to lie on all fours, her legs tucked under her as she glanced in the speaker's direction. It was a female human, clad in the same grey jumpsuit as the others, but wearing some sort of purple hooded top underneath it. She wore a pair of plain glasses and her auburn hair looked about as dirty as her own mane felt. "Perfect timing. I'm Kinzie Kensington, but you knew that already."

"Per... Perfect timing...?" she uttered softly, lowering her voice for fear that speaking any louder would hurt.

"I'm almost done with your Simulation link," Kinzie replied without looking up from what she was working on. Twilight wasn't sure what the black object on the human's lap was, but she was tapping away at whatever it was very intently. It also had a black wire connected to one of the machines that the President had been using earlier. Now that she thought on it, this was the same room.

"Simulation link...?"

"Yep. The Boss wants me to get you a link so that you can enter her Simulation."

Twilight's expression subsequently fell as she heard such an answer. "W-What? Why would I... I don't want to go back there!" she protested, immediately bringing on a violent coughing fit as a result. The hyperventilating didn't help, either, as it brought about a crushing feeling in her chest.

Kinzie didn't even look up from her work, nor did her expression change. "No, the Simulation as you knew it was specifically created for you. Each Simulation is coded to force its occupant to experience their greatest fear. I'm setting up a link for you so you can enter the Boss' simulation, which is where she wants you."

Despite not knowing what the human meant by "coded", Twilight followed her train of thought rather well. "So... It's not Ponyville?"

"No. When the Boss broke out of her first Simulation, Zinyak put her in another one where he thought she'd break down because she didn't control it. Shows what he knows."

Twilight sighed deeply and closed her eyes, shaking her head as she felt a wave of relief wash over her. "Okay..." Immediate fears eased, she began to let her mind wander, trying to think of something to say or ask. As it turned out, she didn't need to.

"So, are there others like you?" Kinzie quipped, peering up at the unicorn. "Or was your Simulation just a nightmare?" The human snickered quietly at something a few seconds later.

"Yes... there are lots of other unicorns at home... Oh!" she answered, the question reminding her of something important. "I-Is there anypony else in the Simulation?!" The unicorn grimaced as her energy in asking came back to hurt her.

"I didn't see any other... ponies," Kinzie started, putting down the black object and starting to fiddle with some sort of table that rested on the floor nearby. "But I wasn't really looking for any candy colored equines either. I found you by accident, actually."

Twilight wasn't sure how to respond to that, though her ears pinned themselves down for her. "... Could you look for them? Please? ... I need to know if my friends are okay." Twilight pleaded softly, earning no visible reaction from the working biped.

"Sure. I'll need you to help me out, though." Twilight heard a door nearby open as somepo- ... "somehuman(?)" walked in. "Just follow the Boss' lead and I'll be able to poke through the Zin's databases." As Kinzie spoke, Twilight glanced away to see who it was. Upon realizing that it was the Boss, she wanted desperately to hide or teleport away, but quickly realized that the President was only getting into one of those weird machines.

"Okay... I can..." The pony paused to swallow. "I can do that..."

"Good. It's ready," the other female uttered, stepping away from the table and then making a gesture towards such. "Climb on, lie down, close your eyes."

Twilight nodded slightly and carefully got on her hooves, finding the action surprisingly easy to accomplish. It hurt quite a bit, but the bookworm felt compelled not to let it affect her too much. With the Boss in the same room, she felt like the tiniest sign of weakness would be an invitation for violence.

She shook her head a little bit as she stood up, starting towards the table. On further inspection, it seemed to be one of the other standing machines just laid on its side. One end was connected to the ceiling on some kind of track (as were all the others, she deduced), while the other was supported by a wheeled cart. It looked haphazard to her, but Twilight dared not refuse.

She reared up to place her front hooves on the table, shaking it gently and finding it stable. Twilight was about to hop up to it, but then she remembered something. "... Um... Kinzie... Why are we doing this...?" she queried, looking at the now sitting human as she worked on that black thing again.

"Define 'this'."

"... Why are we after Zinyak? Why are we going into the President's Simulation?" she pressed, climbing onto the table but not yet lying down.

"Because he made the mistake of attacking us, abducting us, and then destroying the Earth... Our planet, that is." Kinzie's voice retained the same calm tone as before.

Twilight's eyes went wide at this news. If the "Earth" was destroyed by Zinyak, did that mean Equus was gone, too? Twilight couldn't think of anything to say. She shut her eyes and started trying to take deep breaths as she laid down on her side, ignoring how uncomfortable the surface was. The odd things on the sides of the table closed in around her, but she paid that no mind. How could she? As far as she knew, Equus could be gone. There was a chance that she didn't have a home to go back to. "Sweet Celestia, no..." she muttered as she felt a wave of drowsiness wash over her, forcing her eyes shut.

---

So caught up in the grim, terrifying thoughts of an Equus of rubble was Twilight that she barely even noticed that she was in until she saw the Boss standing nearby. She stood there in her black attire from earlier with an impatient look on her face, though judging by the emptiness of her hands, said expression seemed not as bad. "You took your sweet time," she uttered with an appropriate tone, crossing her arms and staring down at the pony from behind those sunglasses.

Twilight half-absently shrank under the President's stare, backing away a little for fear of more violence. "... I'm sorry..." she uttered quietly, looking down and away. Her jumpsuit was gone, Twilight idly noted.

"Hm? Say that again."

"... I-I'm sorry, Boss..." Twilight repeated a little louder, managing to lift her gaze to the human's feet. "I lost control..."

"You're goddamn right," the biped spat back like a foal winning an argument. "You're lucky I didn't just let Johnny kill you." Twilight swallowed audibly as the Boss continued. "But... I like you. So I made him stop."

A long pause followed, making Twilight feel like a foal being scolded by her mother. She felt like the woman was waiting for her to say something. "... Thank you..." the mare tried, raising her gaze again to see the Boss nodding.

"You're welcome. Now, you get to help me fuck with the Simulation." The President said this as she made some strange purple screen appear in front of her. It was somewhat see-through, and the Boss appeared to be making something happening by tapping and dragging on the "surface."

After several awkward seconds, during which Twilight contemplated trying to say something, the Boss vanished briefly in a short ring of thin red lights. Several yards away, she saw something appear. It was a long, heavy looking thing that stood as tall as she was, obviously a vehicle of some sort if the four wheels were any indication. She had to wonder why they had white stripes on the sides, but that didn't bother her much.

She had to admit that whatever it was, it definitely looked "cool." It was painted a brilliant purple, with large black windows adorning the upper parts of it. Two white stripes stretched lengthwise across the vehicle. Before she could wonder about how it moved, she saw it start to move towards her on its own. Two bright lights beaming from the front blinded her briefly, allowing the thing to roll up next to her.

As her sight returned to her, she realized that the side of the thing had opened, revealing a luxurious looking red interior and a seated human. "... Twilight, you're supposed to get in," the Boss uttered with a tinge of irritation to her tone. The unicorn took the hint and stepped inside, sitting on her haunches on the passenger seat. She noted that there wasn't much headroom, but before she could try to shift her position, the vehicle lurched forward.

"Waaaaaaah!!" she cried, gritting her teeth as the force of acceleration pressed her into the oddly textured seat.

"Whooooooooooooooooooo!!" the Boss let out with a grin, turning a wheel directly in front of her to the right while grasping some sort of lever on her right to yank it up. The vehicle lurched to the right at the same time, and Twilight could feel it sliding sideways for a few seconds before it sped up again.

"Ahh! Ahh! Wh-What is this thing?!" the bookish unicorn yelled, gripping the sides of her seat as hard as she could while her head was on a swivel, looking for something else to hold onto.

The Boss' silence was palpable as she stared at the unicorn, a disbelieving look on her face. "... It's a fucking car..." she replied with no attempt to disguise her frustration. "Do you seriously not know what a car is?"

"No!" came Twilight's answer, seeing something metal on a strip of... grey looking fabric to her upper right. She lit her horn and pulled it closer with her magic, noting that she could pull it down as something unseen fed the strip to her. Fascinated, the pony began pulling on the strip until she ran out of fabric.

She looked around a little more and saw something black and red to her lower left with a slot just big enough for the metal end of whatever she had just grabbed. She made the connection, and inserted the metal end into the slot, hearing a reassuring click as she released her grip on it.

So busy was she with solving the mystery of the seat belt was she that she didn't notice their rapid path towards a strong looking pole. By the time she did, they had already hit it. The Boss let out a long "Fuuuuuuck!" as her body sailed forward, through the dark tinted glass, and several yards through the air before somersaulting midair and landing on her feet. Twilight, on the other hoof, remained in place. She lurched forward, yes, and the impact knocked the wind out of her, but the safety lock of the belt kept her in her seat.

Her dizziness quickly fading, she could now hear Kinzie laughing from somewhere. The Boss looked up angrily and made some sort of angry gesture with one of her fingers. "Yeah, laugh it up!" she yelled before dashing towards the "car" and leaping quite spectacularly back in the way she left. The biped looked at Twilight as Kinzie continued laughing, then at her legs, then ahead. And then she sighed, grabbing one of those same metal tipped objects from her left and mimicking Twilight's discovery with another "click." "Congratulations. You wore your seat belt," she uttered dryly.

Twilight couldn't help herself, and had to bite her lip to stifle the giggles, the vehicle backing up quickly before very rapidly speeding up. With the glass in front of her gone, the wind now blew through her mane quite a lot, forcing the equine to cover her eyes with a hoof and squint.

"I call bullshit," the President uttered, her tone more calm. "Don't know what a car is, but you know how to put on your seat belt juuust fine."

"I figured it out." Twilight said that almost immediately, allowing a little bit of pride to fill her tone. The human next to her grumbled and continued driving.

---

The Boss managed to avoid any further collisions (head-on collisions, anyway) the rest of the way to their destination, and the trip gave Twilight lots of time to look around. The city of "Steelport," as the Boss called it, seemed most similar to Manehatten back in Equestria. The tightly grouped tall buildings and their appearance bore an uncanny resemblance. But that was about all she could find similar. Manehatten didn't have seemingly hundreds of other "cars" everywhere, and there definitely wasn't any sort of giant red airship dominating most of the skyline.

She also noticed the lack of a moon in the night sky. The occasional glance towards the horizon while driving over water showed that it seemed to be around sunset. Yet she couldn't see a sun either. Perhaps it was merely the Simulation's fault, she mused.

Another thing she noticed was all the propaganda plastered everywhere. On signs, on billboards, even on the sides of some of the taller buildings. All of it was to the effect of "The Zin cannot be stopped," she noted, though as they drove, she saw one particular message that stood out to her: "7 billion paid for your pride." Seven billion? Seven billion humans? Pride? It took Twilight a moment to put the pieces together, but when she did she threw a grim sidelong glance at the driver.

Was the deaths of all those humans really... the President's fault?

Regardless of aesthetics and sobering signs, they soon arrived at their destination, the Boss trying to get out while her belt kept her firmly in place. Twilight easily deduced that pushing the red button would release her, and she stepped out of the "Temptress" before the human could.

However, before she could get her bearings, she heard music begin to play as she was randomly teleported next to the Boss. Before she could question what was going on, she realized that the entirety of the street they were on was decorated like Pinkie was throwing a party for all of Manehatten (throwing the party for the city, not its inhabitants). There were rings floating in the air, colored pink, green, and blue. The pink ones had an image of a very large, strange, and even creepy cat's head in the middle. The blue ones had cars in the middle, and the green ones showed undetailed human shapes.

"Throw people through the green ones, cars through the blue ones, mascot heads through the pink ones," the President quickly explained as a countdown appeared in front of her eyes.

"What?"

"Just watch."

"Welcome back, fans, to special edition of Professor Genki's...

"Mind! Over! Murder!" Two voices emitted from nowhere, both sounding masculine in tone.

"I'm Zach!"

"And I'm Bobby, and we have an interesting match for you tonight!"

"Yep, Steelport's star competitor - The President of the United States of America - just wants more carnage! And it seems she brought a... partner?"

Twilight looked around frantically for the sources of the voices, but soon chalked it up to "Kinziespeak" - speech that she could hear as if the speaker was right next to her without said speaker being visible.

"Oh my god, Zach, is that a unicorn?!" the one called Bobby yelled, sounding completely stunned.

"It is... Bobby, what are you doing?"

"It's adorable! Look at it! Look at it and tell me that's not the cutest thing you've ever seen."

"Uhhh... ehehe... Bobby, I-I think we need to be commentating, not... whatever that is," the voice named Zach emitted nervously.

"... Right, right, sorry..."

Twilight's cheeks were flushed slightly, a result of the unseen announcers gushing over her. "I'm not cute..." she softly denied.

The countdown disappeared and the black clad female started running forward, extending both hands towards one of the aforementioned "mascot heads." Twilight watched and quickly caught on as the head flew towards her until it came to rest in front of the human's hands, being aimed at a pink ring before being tossed. The throw met its mark and fireworks erupted from the ring as it faded away in turn.

"Ooooh! Alright!" Twilight declared, giving her surroundings a once-over before seeing a nearby car filled with bipeds in colorful, animalistic outfits. She quickly lit her horn and picked it up, flinging it at a blue ring without pulling it closer. She missed. "Shit!" she cursed loudly, hearing more fireworks behind her as the Boss efficiently grabbed and tossed with telekinesis.

Electing to try again, she grabbed another car and pulled it closer to her, feeling its considerable weight as she took aim. The car soon sailed through the air and through the ring, pyrotechnics bursting from the goal while a huge smile graced Twilight's features. "Hahaha! I did it!" she yelled triumphantly, looking back at the President to see her finishing with the last visible ring.

"Great!" The Boss' cry was immediately followed by a forceful scoop from her arm, lifting the unicorn onto her back to carry her to the next stop. "Speed it up, though. We're on the clock," she continued leaping very high into the air while the pony hung on for dear life. As they went, the voices came back.

"I was surprised to be pulled back out for another game, Bobby. I thought that the President was done with Mind Over Murder."

"So was I, Zach, but seeing the competitor's partner is totally worth it!" Bobby replied in a rather creepy manner, one that made Twilight's cheeks flush even more.

"Ooookay, Bobby ehe... g-getting a little weird now."

"Thank you very much, Emperor Zinyak! I can't express enough gratitude for this honor you've given me!"

"Bobby! What are you doing?! ... Put that away!"

Twilight shuddered as her mind went "there," though was thankful for their arrival at another site. She hopped off of the Boss' back without a word and immediately saw a green ring and a mascot. Without a shred of hesitation, she picked up the colorful biped and chucked them through the ring, giggling softly at her accomplishment while scanning the area for more. "This is fun...~" she uttered softly to herself, seeing a pink ring and looking for a head. Such an action also let her see a blue ring.

Doing so merely to see if she could, Twilight grabbed a passing car and a crying panda head in her violet telekinetic hold, pulling them close and aiming each before throwing.

"Double goal!" Zach yelled excitedly, though she could feel his excitement fading quickly as a silence fell over the "Kinziespeak" line.

Twilight paid it very little mind, though, frantically dashing towards the President as she punched an advancing mascot hard in the face. "Boss!" she yelled, grabbing all of the baseball bat wielding assailants and throwing all of them at a green ring high in the air. "Whoooo!" she then whooped, making the Boss laugh while completing the rest of the segment with a swiftly thrown head and car. Within seconds, the two were on their way to the next area.

Bobby's voice sounded out next, sounding out of breath. "Ahhh... Alright, where were we, Zach? ... Zach?"

"... That's disgusting, man."

"Hey, don't knock it."

---

The next two minutes were some of the most fun Twilight had had in a long time. That grin never left her muzzle as she and the President completed the challenge quickly and efficiently. Or, more accurately, Twilight completed the challenge and the President just kinda helped.

As the last human sailed through the last gold ring, an airhorn sounding as they completed the last area. "Done!" the Boss yelled, glancing at a now slightly disappointed unicorn. Oddly enough, Zach and Bobby had nothing to say on the matter...

"Let's do that again!" Twilight yelled back, clapping her front hooves together while laughing heartily.

---

Cache: 12,000

20% Bonus

XP: 50

Author's Note:

I will say that I don't care for Mind Over Murder that much. I like it well enough and I certainly like it more than Super Power Fight Club (fuck that shit), but my favorites will always be Fraud and Speed Rift.

Also, I hope you guys don't mind what I did with Zach and Bobby, the announcers. I don't know much about them, and I almost omitted them from the chapter. But then I figured I may as well try to write them and fail, rather than not try and get yelled at. And no, I didn't forget about them in the latter part of M.O.M. Your dirty minds should be able to piece it all together... I hope Bobby hasn't earned me a mature rating.

Oh, and another thing. The next chapter may or may not be a bonus, and it may or may not have something to do with romancing, and it may or may not involve something on the Boss' bucket list.

Leave me some comments! Seriously, I fuckin' love comments.