• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 7,091 Views, 495 Comments

Saints and Sparkles - Etriax



While poking through the Zin's systems, Kinzie Kensington discovers a member of another alien race of unicorns, apparently. One that the Zin are very interested in. When the Boss hears of this, a rescue is mounted for this strange equine...

  • ...
26
 495
 7,091

You have every right to be... but stop it

"Ohhhhhhhh BABY!" Discord yelled as his entire body shook, startling the two princesses and the five mares that Celestia had foalna- taken for protection and the late Twilight Sparkle's dragon. He got an odd look from the gathered ponies, but he merely laughed and started somersaulting in midair incessantly.

"What is it, Discord?" his dear friend Fluttershy asked, meekly approaching him while hovering.

"Hahahaaaa~! You don't feel that?" he replied, grinning disturbingly widely as he looked over the variously annoyed mares. "... Of course you don't. You can't feel the big ball of chaos that just entered our atmosphere."

The ponies all gave him the stinkeye (aside from Pinkie Pie, of course) for a few seconds before realization dawned on all of them.

"What's that mean? Is Twilight alright?" Spike worriedly spoke up, his reptilian eyes boring hopefully into the draconequus. The chaotic creature rubbed his beard gently in thought, trying to get a feel for what exactly had caught his attention. Discord glanced at Fluttershy and her friends as she did so.

Pinkie Pie in particular. She had a grim look to her while still managing to be as bouncy as she usually was, while everypony else whispered to each other. He couldn't help but notice the distinct lack of the Element of Laughter's "Pinkie Sense." The draconequus had been aware of such for a long time, even while encased in stone, and had become familiar enough with it, given how... well, Discord-like she could be at times.

To him, their deliciously chaotic visitors were worth a "doozy" at least, but Pinkie Pie remained still. Upon further thought, he figured it wasn't terribly surprising, all things considered.

---

Celestia stared off into the space, ignoring the draconequus' gaze as she watched... something. She felt an immense magical power appear seemingly from nowhere, drawing steadily closer to Equestria with each passing second. She knew of very few ponies with such power.

It was not difficult to discern its owner.

And yet she was wary. The fur on the back of her neck stiffened and she frowned very slightly. As much as she would have liked to immediately reassure the remaining Element Bearers and the orphaned drake of Twilight Sparkle's return, she was having difficulty believing what she was feeling.

The magic was undoubtedly Twilight's, but with it existed a... darkness that had never been present before.

Any further focus was halted when she finally spared the attention to notice Discord. The Spirit of Chaos was conspicuously reclining on a couch mere inches from her face, very loudly and rudely eating crackers shaped like her. When glared at, the chaotic creature chuckled, crumbs spraying onto her face. "Nicsh of you to join ush, Shelly," he deadpanned, smacking his lips loudly.

Magically wiping Discord's mess off of her face, she turned to face everypony else, meeting their gazes and taking a silent breath through her nose before speaking.

"Twilight Sparkle is alive," she began, waiting to allow her student's friends and assistant their relief before continuing. "... But something is not right. I suggest you all steel yourselves... This may not be the same Twilight we all knew."

Rainbow Dash promptly flew up to her, appearing very much irate with her warning. "What's that supposed to mean?!" she yelled, eying the Princess of the Sun warily. Rarity's magic enveloped the cyan pegasus seconds later, removing her from Celestia's personal space.

"I can't say. We will have to see for ourselves." With those words, she turned to face her sister and Discord, both meeting her gaze. "Luna, you must remain in Canterlot until I return. If-"

Luna held up a hoof and nodded. "I understand, Sister. I will stay. Give Twilight Sparkle my regards, please," the Princess of the Night cut in, offering a very slight smile.

Discord frowned at Celestia, however, as the diarch spoke to him. "And you will stay here as well. If these "Saints" come in peace, then I don't want you there to provoke them." Her tone was stern, unwavering, informing the spirit of chaos and disharmony that there was no arguing.

Not that he did. He merely conjured up a chair and some tea, reclining in his new seat. "I expected as much. Not that it matters; I can enjoy the chaos from here~" He waved a paw at Celestia dismissively. "Now off with you while I reupholster the furniture with taffy."

Celestia deeply sighed at the draconequus' words as she lit her horn and teleported the Element Bearers and Spike away.

---

The new Empress of the Zin Empire had originally been disappointed that she couldn't put her old clothes on over her power armor. She would have liked to at least cover it up or something, but only her coat would fit. So she wore just her black strategem combo coat over the armor, leaving it open, as well as her favorite sunglasses.

The Boss smirked as she opened up yet another weapon crate that the dispatched shopping team of disguised Zin had retrieved, drawing from it yet another addition to her new arsenal. In addition to her alien pistols, she now carried a pair of Skorpions, and an AK-47 - the former concealed beneath her coat, and the latter carried in hand. Magazine after magazine lined her belt and pockets, probably enough to outfit a proper squad.

It felt damn good to have her guns back.

"Boss!" Pierce's voice sounded in her earpiece. "You gotta see this."

The woman raised an eyebrow, closing that crate and giving a thumbs up to a waiting Johnny Gat, who immediately set about to taking second dibs on the menagerie of weaponry. She departed the Simulation room turned armory and took the short walk to the bridge, a bounce in her step as she admired the unloaded AK in her hands.

It felt really damn good to have her guns back.

As she reached the bridge, seeing the rest of her crew gathered there, she immediately realized what Pierce had meant. The view of Equus from orbit was incredible. It was so colorful, so lush, so... Earthlike. It had a striking lack of blue in comparison to Earth, but it still looked like the usual NASA publicity photos or... something. A smile curved her lips.

"Hello, new Earth~" she muttered as she walked towards the rest of the gathered humans and the unicorn mare currently - and literally - pressed against the glass. Twilight Sparkle hadn't taken off her armor since Zinyak's demise, and the Boss couldn't blame her. She didn't really want to take hers off, either. She could have done with something cooler, and possibly a little more stylish, but she would make do until they made something she could wear under her usual outfit.

The Boss approached the pony and smirked, resting her rifle over her shoulder and poking Twilight's matted, messy mane. "Ya know, it looks a lot like Earth," she commented, getting the unicorn's attention and coaxing her away from the glass.

"It's beautiful..." she uttered softly, a soft smile curving her muzzle. "It looks so different from up here..." A long pause. "It looks like your Earth?"

"Kinda," the woman replied, gripping her gun with her left hand to idly scratch at the pony's ears. "Earth had a lot more water, though."

Twilight gave a quiet nod of acknowledgement, watching as the ship was flown towards her home planet. As the ship was engulfed in fire, the craft rumbling with their entry into Equus' atmosphere, she heard the equine sigh.

Why was she sighing, the Boss wondered. She was going home, after all. That was what she wanted all along, right? "Somethin' on your mind, Twilight?" she quipped, not noticing the interested looks she was getting from some of her crew and even a couple of Zin recruited to fly the ship.

"I'm just..." she began, shaking her head very slightly. "I've been gone so long... I don't know what's changed since I've been gone, but..." Twilight stopped there, the rumbling making her very obviously nervous. "... I don't know..."

The Boss just shrugged. "Hey, we're flying blind here, too," she replied, pulling the bolt on her AK to get the purple pony to look at her. "Why do you think I have so many guns? ... Actually, not enough guns..."

Twilight immediately became more nervous, stepping towards the Boss. "We shouldn't be attacked, Boss," she began. "... I hope. I don't know if they got my letter."

The two females turned towards the rest of the Saints when someone snapped their fingers. Keith David stepped forward, holding an unsealed scroll. Twilight loudly gasped at the sight of such parchment, magically snatching it out of the actor's hands before he could say anything.

"Keith, what the hell are you-" Asha began, though was interrupted by the VP.

"I lied," he cut in before turning to look at Twilight. "I didn't find this until after you, Shaundi, Pierce, and the President had left."

The British agent approached the man, clearly unhappy. "What ever happ-"

"Shut up, both of you," Kinzie yelled from her seat, tapping away busily at her laptop as she followed some of the Boss' orders. "I'm trying to get this done before we land."

The Boss just watched Twilight as she hungrily read over the scroll, then sighed and walked back to the Simulation room to grab herself a shotgun, a sniper rifle, and an RPG.

---

Twilight Sparkle's initial enthusiasm had quickly faded when she read the very first sentence, and from there, she continued on solemnly. And then worriedly.

As it was, this little letter was basically a warning for Princess Celestia's disappointment. She couldn't have cared less about being impersonated. She was instead wrapped up in Celestia's second paragraph.

"I never thought you had such vulgarity in your vocabulary, first of all. Nor have I ever seen you as a violent mare. As I read your message, I must admit, I found myself hoping for yours to be a forgery. The concept of a pony such as you having fallen so far is a thing that I cannot imagine without a grimace."

Twilight let the letter fall to the floor, sitting on her haunches and turning her attention back to the window in time to not notice the Boss leaving the room. A heavier feeling of dread washed over the mare, letting out a deep, slow sigh through her nose.

"... This is gonna suck," she told herself aloud as the ground drew steadily closer in the window.

---

Princess Celestia, Spike, and the other Element Bearers waited with varying levels of excitement and caution in the flatlands far south of the Crystal empire, the air cool, but not unbearable. None of them noticed the air, though, as they watched a strange, grey, noisy flying object fly towards them. Soft murmurs sounded from the six Ponyville residents while Celestia remained silent.

Celestia found herself focusing on her student again, however. It disturbed her to no end to find that the magic surrounding the mare seemed to be getting absorbed into her, albeit slowly. Her carefully sculpted neutral expression was ruined by the disgusted frown that soon replaced it. There was a very good reason why such magic was forbidden, and the idea of Twilight Sparkle making use of such dark arts was equal parts worrying and infuriating.

Regardless, the grey object drew closer rapidly, the noise making them all wince as it grew louder and louder. Eventually, it began to hover several dozen yards away from the group, starting to slowly lower itself to the ground while spinning around to face in the opposite direction. Odd protrusions emerged from the bottom of what seemed to be the vehicle, appearing to be naught more than thick skis on the end of metallic "legs."

After nearly a minute, it touched down on the ground with a loud thump, the fire having died down and nearly completely faded as the offensive sound the vehicle made died down to a much more tolerable level.

The mares behind her began to murmur among themselves as Celestia took a deep, quiet breath through her nostrils, her expression only betraying her caution to the most well trained eye.

For at least another minute, nothing happened, the object remaining still. However, it wasn't long before the back of the craft let out a loud clunk, a huge door beginning to open to lower towards the ground.

Nine tall figures began to become visible as the door slowly opened, the sluggish portal eventually revealing them all to be mostly furless bipeds in grey clothing with the exception of one. The exception wore black sunglasses and a black coat over what appeared to be a suit of armor, though it lacked any obvious helmet. It carried a long object reminiscent of a crossbow, seemingly made of a combination of metal and wood. There were also two other similar objects on its back, one a dull green and the other a collection of browns and black. The most of the bipedal creatures were carrying similar objects in their fleshy paws, either in a shiny, drastically different design to the exception's own, or identical to such. One of them sat down on the ground once outside, busily tapping away at a sleek looking black device the likes of which the alicorn had never seen.

Once the door finished opening, the nine creatures began walking towards the group, with no Twilight Sparkle in sight. The alicorn sighed inwardly and began approaching the bipeds to meet them halfway, stopping once they were only a few yards from each other.

"Who are you?" Princess Celestia asked, her tone cautious.

The armored one chuckled and rested whatever it was it was holding on its shoulder, smirking at the Princess. "Leader of the Third Street Saints, President of the United States of America, and the new Empress of the Zin Empire as of..." She paused, appearing to think for a second. "-a half hour ago."

The Zin! "So you are the invaders? What of this 'Zinyak' we were warned about?" The creature raised an eyebrow at the mention of the warning, but merely shrugged her shoulders.

"Zinyak? Dead. His head's on the ship if you want to see it," the apparent female replied, gesturing over her shoulder towards the quieting vehicle.

Celestia frowned slightly, eying the creature intently as the others either looked her over, looked at the five other ponies behind her, or at the green meadow they had landed in.

"What are you doing here?" she then queried firmly, her eyes narrowing. "Where is Twilight Sparkle?"

The Empress snickered and looked over her shoulder, hefting the object in its paws off such and smiling. Celestia saw what appeared to be grey metal legs approaching the aliens from behind. She watched them carefully until the creature right beside the Empress - a dark brown skinned one with a fedora - stepped aside. The collective gasp of everypony behind her was noticed by all.

After fifteen long months, the real Twilight Sparkle now stood before them... Or so she hoped. Celestia heard hooffalls behind her, but held out her own to stop the rushing mares and dragon, now wary of this pony. She stared at the unicorn, examining her.

Twilight looked terrible, for starters. Her face was bruised in a few places and her mane and tail were a mess. A small amount of dried blood stained the fur around her nose, and a much smaller amount had dried upon her horn. Most notable, however, was the armor she now wore. Looking at it, it appeared very similar to the "Empress'" own suit, but appeared to be in worse shape. It appeared scorched in many places all over the mare, and what wasn't scorched appeared to be coated in a fine layer of soot.

Most striking, however, was her behavior. Twilight Sparkle was not dashing over to them to embrace her teacher, her friends, and her dragon. Instead, she half hid behind the bipeds, watching the Princess and Element Bearers with equal parts happiness and... fear.

"Twilight Sparkle..." she muttered softly, stepping towards the pony. She stopped quickly, however, when the mare flinched away. Immediately, she snapped her gaze to the so called "Empress." "What have you done to her?" she demanded lowly, deeply, her expression becoming much more intense.

The creature looked down at the mare, then frowned right back at Celestia, apparently unfazed by the alicorn's words. "Tone it down, Sunny C," she chided, reaching for her student and scratching at her ear lightly.

"Do not test my patience, alien. I have very little left," the Princess of the Sun uttered coldly, the ambient temperature of their surroundings raising a few degrees. "Answer the question."

The "Empress" shook her head and sighed. "Look, we're not here to fight," she began, holding up a paw in a "stop" gesture. "And we didn't do anything..." A pause. "Actually, I'll tell ya later. Go on, Twilight."

The creature gave the armor clad mare a nudge with her right leg, pushing Twilight in front of the group and watching as the pony gave a nervous look back at her, then at her friends.

"... H-Hello, everypony."

"Twilight!" everypony behind her cried, ignoring the diarch's attempt to stop them as the mares and dragon rushed towards the returned mare.

Celestia barely had time to register the look of utter horror on her student's face.

---

The Boss raised an eyebrow when she saw Twilight freeze up, stepping forward to get a look at her face. Her eyes were wide, her pupils tiny. She began stepping back, shaking her head subtly. "Twil-"

"N-NO! G-GET BACK!" she screamed at the top of her lungs, making the Boss jump back and reflexively bring her loaded AK-47 to bear on the armor clad equine. The mare suddenly sprinted to the right, startling the other equines and eliciting an irate sigh from the new ruler of the Zin Empire just before she started sprinting after her.

"Get back here, dammit!"

---

Watching her student and the aliens' apparent leader dashing away at an incredible speed left both parties surprised, though her own was more confused while theirs was more resignedly annoyed. Celestia tracked the running pair as they headed west, eyes narrowed. "... Rainbow Dash. Pursue them."

"On it!" A rainbow streak shot after the running females, leaving the other bipeds alone with the ruler. Celestia watched the speedy trails of the three until they disappeared behind a hill, sorely tempted to give chase, but unwilling to leave the other mares and Spike alone with these outsiders.

Speaking of which, one of them began approaching her, one with dark brown skin, very short black fur atop its head, and a grey and black jumpsuit. It handed the shiny object it had been holding off to another, offering the alicorn a smile. "I apologize for the President's behavior. You get used to it after a while," he began in a pleasing, deep, masculine voice, offering one of his paws... or hands to her. "I'm Vice President Keith David."

Celestia regarded this being skeptically, but extended a hoof to meet it as he gripped such and gently shook it once. "This behavior is... normal?" she asked, managing to hide how much she dreaded an affirmative answer.

"For better or worse," he emitted with a sigh.

Celestia sighed as the ponies and drake accompanying her turned to watch this "Keith David" creature. She briefly recalled the letter; Twilight referred to them as "humans", if memory served. "What did your leader do to Twilight Sparkle?" she then asked, her tone calmer.

"Hit 'er a few times, from what I heard."

Celestia lit her horn. "Explain. Now."

---

The Boss glided behind the fleeing mare, groaning as she constantly adjusted her course while Twilight dashed away. She had her Stomp power ready, set to its "Gravity" element so that Twilight would be disabled once caught. She also had had to change a few of her other powers around, setting her Telekinesis back to its standard "Force" element and her Blast back to its icy properties. She was trying to catch Twilight, not kill her.

Landing on the ground several yards behind the unicorn, she thrust both hands out towards her, attempting to pick her up in her Telekinesis. She was out of range, however, making her sigh and attempt to run faster. "For fucks sake, Twilight, get back here!" she yelled, leaping high into the air and air-dashing twice to get in closer.

A rainbow-y blur shot past her from below, startling the gliding human slightly as a winged pony with blue fur, a fucking rainbow mane and tail, and gleaming, fancy looking golden armor. Said pony very quickly caught up to the fleeing Twilight, and a few seconds later, they were keeping pace with the unicorn.

"Twilight! Stop it!" she yelled, earning a glance from the equine Saint. She definitely looked spooked, with wide eyes and an expression not far off from the one she wore just before they started with their Zinyak-murdering plan. It was a look that screamed trouble.

"You're not killing me again!" she screamed back, gritting her teeth as the Boss sprinted harder. "I'm killing you!" Twilight jumped high into the air, lighting her horn and capturing the pursuing pegasus in her magic. Before the rainbow maned equine could respond, Twilight propelled her victim forward, then downwards into the ground before her, literally burying said victim's head in the dirt.

In doing so, she also ended up tripping over said grounded pony, tumbling head over tail for several feet. The Boss quickly dodged the first downed mare and grabbed a now flailing Twilight Sparkle in her Telekinesis.

"Put me down!" the damaged pony protested as the Empress picked her up, unable to do anything while suspended in the human's invisible hold. The human shook her head and began to run back towards the landed ship and the rest of her crew, leaving the unfortunate, dazed, stuck pegasus behind. While running, she saw Twilight's horn beginning to glow, responding by jumping into the air and tossing Twilight at the ground.

The mare cried out in pain as she hit the grass, leaving a shallow crater upon impact. Of course, just for good measure, the Boss repeated the process once more, making sure that she had knocked the powerful unicorn out before returning.

---

Celestia's nostrils flared with anger as she saw the "Empress" return with a further battered and unconscious Twilight Sparkle in her invisible... magic-less telekinetic grasp. Never mind the fact that Rainbow Dash hadn't returned yet, her student had been attacked and these aliens just stood by and accepted it.

"Ughhhh..." the Empress uttered in an irate tone, lowering her knocked out quarry before dropping her. Twilight's friends and dragon rushed ahead to check on the fallen mare, and Celestia walked up to her as well, regarding the pony briefly before snapping her gaze to a shrugging human. "Hey-"

"Silence," Celestia coldly interrupted through clenched teeth, her fury quieting the alien as one of her companions - a light skinned male in grey with golden chains and a more unique pair of sunglasses - pointed one of his "guns" at the ruler. "You intrude in our realm, hurt my student, attack my guard, and have the gall to shrug about it? Leave."

The human, while silent during her angry speech, did not back down, and instead pointed one of its armor clad fingers at her. "Bitch, I didn't do a damn thing," she began defiantly. "That was Twilight. I knocked 'er out before she tried it on me."

Impossible. Absolutely impossible. Twilight would never turn on her friends! The Princess stormed forward towards the brave, foolish alien, her horn lighting while the rest of the "Empress'" companions trained their weapons on the alicorn. "You would accuse my student of assaulting a dear friend?" she yelled, her tone booming across the plains. "Allow me to rephrase that. Leave now or die."

"Twiliiiight!!!"

---

That jerk! That bucking jerk! Rainbow Dash was seething by the time she pulled her head out of the ground, her head and helm covered in dirt.

After all this time, after being gone for so damn long, Twilight greeted them by freaking out, running away, screaming about killing her, and launching her into the ground. Rainbow Dash struck the ground with her front right hoof with a grunt of exertion, spreading her seemingly undamaged wings and taking off to return to Princess Celestia.

As she flew back, she had to wonder what had gotten into Twilight. Why would she say something like "You're not killing me again?" Twilight hadn't even been around! What in Tartarus could make her think that Rainbow Dash had killed her?

... How the f- buck could she have been killed before? You only die once.

Before she could think more on it, she returned, landing on top of the odd carriage thing and screaming. "Twiliiiight!!!"

She looked around to find the psycho pony lying on the ground, out cold, surrounded by her friends and the Princess while the President of whatever pointed at Celestia, arguing. All eyes were on her as she looked around, raising an eyebrow.

"Rainbow Dash?" the Princess uttered, her tone not matching her expression at all. "Did Twilight Sparkle attack you?"

Did she really need to ask? Isn't it obvious, she thought, flying down to stand at attention at the Princess' side. "Yep!" she said without hesitation.

---

Celestia let out a deep sigh, shaking her head and backing up from the "humans." "I am in error. I apologize for my rashness," she apologized, closing her eyes and sighing again. "This does not excuse you from hurting Twilight Sparkle, however. You will all come with me to Canterlot and explain yourselves."

The Princess turned towards the rest of her group and lit her horn, being able to grasp all but two in her teleport's range. Twilight was resisting her magical influence, but once she grasped the mare and not the armor, she found success. The Empress, for whatever reason, was not cooperating, even when Celestia tried teleporting the human without her armor. She glared at the human, eying her armor and shaking her head. "... You will have to travel on land. I cannot teleport you," she uttered, though frowned at the Empress' worrying grin.

"Cool. It's that castle on the mountain, isn't it?"

"... Yes... How-"

"It's a big white castle on a fucking mountain. Kinda obvious."

"Point taken. Rainbow Dash." The guardspony snapped to attention for her Princess. "Please accompany..." She trailed off, glancing back at the human in question expectantly.

"My name is a national secret."

Celestia rolled her eyes. "Accompany the Empress to Canterlot. If she does something stupid, you will apprehend or kill her."

---

"Yes, Princess!" Rainbow Dash obediently replied, watching as her friends and the Empress' friends were teleported away, leaving the two alone at the landing site.

The armored human glanced at her, managed a grin and put a foot back. She looked ready to run. "Race?"

Rainbow Dash grinned, landing and getting ready.

"ReadyGO!" The human was off before Rainbow Dash could react.

"H-Hey!" the pegasus took off immediately, almost tempted to demand a do-over, despite the human's obvious inferiority.

Author's Note:

The alternate universe tag is there for a reason, now more than ever.

Please, do leave a comment!

We're nearing the end! Next chapter!