• Published 7th Dec 2014
  • 9,058 Views, 60 Comments

The Sun Also Rises - EchoWing



Sunset Shimmer has taken a hard fall. Thankfully, some new friends and an old mentor are more than willing to help her rise again.

  • ...
2
 60
 9,058

...To Light

“Why is it that every time there’s a crisis of some kind, I’m not around? It’s bad enough the Royal Guard has a horrible reputation…”

“Shiny.” Princess Cadance gave her husband a teasing smile as they strode through the halls of the Crystal Palace, having just caught him up on everything that had happened in his absence. “No one blames you for anything that’s happened, and odds are that even if you’d been here, Sunset Shimmer would have made off with Twilight’s crown anyway. Besides, Twilight and Spike made it back safely.”

“Still, this is what, the fifth time something like this has happened?” At his wife’s chiding expression, Shining Armor sighed and relented. “And she’s managed it with flying colors every time. Still, if she hadn’t…” He opted not to elaborate on that point, mostly because he’d rather not consider what he would have done to Sunset Shimmer had her plan been successful, but the results would have been extremely unpleasant. “Anyway, I’m here now, work’s underway for the Games, Twily’s safe, and I can’t wait to see her.”

“And I’m sure she can’t wait to see you, either. Finding her, however, is going to be the problem.”

“That’s just what we were saying!” The couple stopped in their tracks as Pinkie Pie popped into view from around a corner, the rest of Twilight’s friends sans Spike following closely behind. “Twilight was supposed to be done with the first conference of the day like, forever ago, and we haven’t seen her! Being a princess can’t make you that super-busy, can it?”

“Pinkie, darling, do try to calm yourself.” Rarity turned from her friend to Twilight’s family and continued where she left off, “Regardless, Spike appears to have disappeared as well, and we hoped that you may be able to give us their current whereabouts.”

“I’m sorry Rarity, but the last time I saw Twilight, the morning’s talk had just ended and Princess Celestia called for a recess. Spike may have met up with them afterwards, but as far as I know, they're still together.”

“Well, trackin’ them down shouldn’t be a problem; we start with the conference room and work our way from there.” Applejack laughed and suggested, “The princess is probably just givin’ Twilight some pointers about the new job.”

“Actually, I was sharing some information with Twilight that I felt she, and all of you, had a right to know.” Heads turned as Princess Celestia approached. “Good morning, everypony, and welcome back, Prince Shining Armor. I assume preparations for the Equestria Games are proceeding on schedule.”

The stallion made a nervous nod, still adjusting to his new title. “Yes, thankfully. Forgive me for changing topics, but what are you talking about?”

A gasp, and Pinkie Pie jumped up. “It’s another magic mirror!”

The princess laughed. “You’ll all see soon enough. Please, follow me everypony.”

As the group followed Celestia, Fluttershy approached. “Um, Princess Celestia? I’m sorry if I’m speaking out of turn, but what about Princess Luna? Shouldn’t she be part of this?”

“My sister will appreciate your concern, Fluttershy, but I assure you, she’s already aware of what’s going on, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we found her waiting for us…”

-

“…And just then, when I thought all was lost and the five elements destroyed, I heard everypony else calling out to me. I realized that the spark was in me, and the six of us each represented an Element of Harmony. And after I told Nightmare Moon exactly how she’d failed, the last of the six Elements appeared, the other five reformed, and together, we defeated her once and for all.”

“Oh, bravo!” Rarity clapped enthusiastically, only to pause as the other girls looked upon her awkwardly. She managed a nervous smile and continued, “Anyway, was Nightmare Moon destroyed, or simply sealed away again?”

“Nightmare Moon was destroyed, sort of.” Twilight shrugged before she continued her story. “We later found out that her fall wasn’t entirely her fault; her bitterness and envy of her sister had left her vulnerable to manipulation and possession by an outside force, which transformed her into Nightmare Moon in the first place. We destroyed the possessing force, but the real pony remained behind.”

“The real pony whose gratitude for your efforts then and later remain even now, Princess Twilight Sparkle.” Heads turned, and Princess Luna smiled. “Please forgive me, but I saw no reason to interrupt the story. I only hope your audience found it agreeable.”

Twilight gave a nervous smile. “Well, no complaints so far.” She turned back to her audience as her fellow princess came up beside her. “Everyone, this is Princess Luna.”

The seated students of Canterlot High managed quick expressions of surprise, Rarity especially moving to stand, but the Princess of the Night raised a hoof. “Please, such formalities are unnecessary, and I can forgive your confusion. Besides, Spike aside, the only subject I see among you is already standing.” At the flame-haired girl’s expression, Luna made a small bow with her head. “My sister has told me a great deal about you, Sunset Shimmer. While I wish the circumstances had been different, I am pleased to finally meet you.”

Unsure what else to do or say, Sunset came out from behind the girls and made a small bow of her own. “The pleasure’s mine, but I’m surprised she’d even mention me, given everything that happened. After all, she never told me about you.”

“They are bitter memories for both of us, young one.” A sad but understanding expression came onto the face of the Princess of the Night as she explained, “Celestia preferred that I fade into myth than forever be marked by what I did as Nightmare Moon. It was not entirely successful, I will admit, but it did make my transition to the modern era somewhat smoother.”

“Whoa, wait, hold on.” Rainbow Dash shot up from her seat and addressed the princess directly. “You were Nightmare Moon? But that means the two sisters…”

“Were Celestia and myself, correct. Suffice it to say, my sister and I are far older than we look, and my own aging was stunted as a result of my possession.”

“My word.” Awestruck, Rarity looked to Sunset and realized, “No wonder you wanted to become an alicorn princess. The way things look, you would have effectively gained immortality.”

“I assure you, there are disadvantages to such a condition. We ponies are long-lived, but we do pass on in time, and my sister has gained and lost many friends during my imprisonment. There are times where I wonder who faced the greater hardship.”

“And I wouldn’t have done too well anyway, considering what happened last night.” Sunset looked to the princess and explained, “Everything I did was all me, but what you did as Nightmare Moon…”

“Was no less my responsibility, Sunset Shimmer. My resentment and envy allowed the darkness to take root inside me, and my giving into it was what finally allowed Nightmare Moon to take form, and I still feel guilt for what I have done.” An encouraging smile formed upon her face, and she gently put her forehoof to the girl’s chin. “But the burden is not terrible. Others help me to carry it, as others will help you to carry yours and you, one day, will help them carry theirs. I suspect you will only grow tired of hearing this, my subject, but you are not alone. No one is. You need only find the strength within to bear the weight and the will to change, and from what my sister has told me, you have an abundance of such. And while she may sometimes fail us, she never loses faith in us. Only in herself.” She grinned and added, “And that, of course, is when we come in. She may hide it well, but my sister can be very depressed when the mood strikes her.”

A small smile. “I can understand that.” She laughed and asked, “So, when I finally come back, how much candy am I going to owe you?”

Luna laughed. “We will discuss that once you’ve returned.”

The other girls exchanged confused looks, and Spike noted, “Nightmare Night. Twi and I’ll explain later.”

“Well, maybe you can explain right now how she’d know we’d all be confused.” Applejack crossed her arms as she regarded Luna and wondered aloud, “Ah mean, it’s not like she’s met Vice Principal…”

“MAGIC PORTAL!” Attention turned back to the portal as a pink earth pony landed inside of the realm, her mane like cotton candy and a sugary grin on her face. As others followed, she gasped, her human counterpart doing likewise and jumping from her chair, the two meeting and declaring as one, “Hi Pinkie!” before laughing and hugging like old friends.

The other girls stood up in surprise as they took sight of their counterparts, each recognizing them with little trouble. Sure they were ponies, and to their opposites they no doubt came across as the strangest things they’d ever seen, but that hardly mattered.

As her counterpart approached, Applejack knelt down on one knee and smiled. “Well, ain’t you a familiar sight.”

“Got a hard time sayin’ otherwise, darlin’.” The earth pony regarded her counterpart curiously and asked, “If you’re me, then you won’t mind answerin’ a few questions.”

“Assumin’ you don’t mind answerin’ mine. Apple Bloom?”

“Most rambunctious little filly you’re ever gonna see, and in way too much of a rush to grow up. Big McIntosh?”

“Best big brother a girl could ask for, says a lot with a little and don’t need to say more than that. Granny Smith?”

“Always there for ya, not goin’ anywhere anytime soon. Mom and Dad?” Applejack didn’t need to get a verbal answer as her counterpart drew silent and took off her hat, only responding in turn. “I miss ‘em too.” The pair smiled and hugged one another.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash looked at her counterpart with awestruck amazement, while the pegasus smirked and turned away. “Knew it. No way are you as cool as me.”

A laugh, and she did likewise. “Dang right. I’m cooler.” The façade broke down swiftly and she quickly amended, “Seriously though, the wings? So awesome! I mean, you can fly! How cool is that?!”

The enthusiasm was quickly reciprocated. “Only the coolest thing ever! I wish you still had those wings, because we would tear up the skies like nopony’s business!”

Both Rarities could only shake their heads and smile at their friends’ enthusiasm, but this quickly went by the wayside as the human turned her attention to the pony. “I must say, darling, your mane is brilliantly styled. You look absolutely fabulous!”

“Oh, you’re a fine one to talk! I absolutely love your outfit! Please tell me that you designed it yourself.”

“Well, of course I –!” She looked down and noticed the blissful expression on the face of the dragon in her arms. “Spike? Darling, are you still with us?”

A dreaming sigh. “Yeah, go on, I’m listening.”

The unicorn shook her head, and shared a smile with her counterpart. “The more things change, it seems.”

The last of the ponies nervously approached her own counterpart and, despite her trepidation, put on her best smile. “Um, hello, Fluttershy. It’s very nice to meet you.”

Her counterpart knelt before her, fighting back her own anxiety. “It’s very nice to meet you too, Fluttershy. I hope you don’t mind me saying this, but your mane is very pretty.”

“Oh, thank you.” The nervousness subsided, and the pegasus looked up in surprise. “Um, I don’t mean to be a bother about this, but are you wearing eyeshadow?”

Some embarrassment came clear on the girl’s face. “Oh, um, yes, I am.”

“It looks very nice on you, and I can understand.” She leaned close and whispered, “Sometimes, I wear mane extensions.” The human looked at her counterpart in surprise and received a sincere but embarrassed smile in return, prompting her to smile back and give the pony a hug, the two sharing a giggle. The embrace ended, and the pony noticed the last of the girls among them. “Is she…?” At her counterpart’s nod, Fluttershy turned to the girl and said, “Hello, Sunset Shimmer. It’s very nice to finally meet you.”

Sunset looked about in surprise at the friendly looks on each of the ponies’ faces. “Really? Didn’t Twilight tell you all about what I did?”

“Tearin’ apart our counterparts’ friendship, bullyin’ them an’ Twilight, framin’ her? Yeah, we got the short version.” Applejack returned her Stetson to its proper place and stepped towards her with a polite look on her equine face. “She also told us you were repentant ‘bout the whole mess. After what you went through, can’t really blame ya.”

“And we are not in the business of holding grudges, darling.” Rarity gave her human counterpart a smile and noted, “Especially if the versions of us you wronged the most can find it in themselves to give you another chance. We can hardly do any less.”

A thankful smile formed upon the former pony’s face. “Thank you. All of you.” A small laugh, and she realized, “I wonder if anypony I knew from school would be this forgiving.”

“I think they’d be more concerned about you then you’d think.” Her gaze turned back to the portal as the last of the assorted ponies arrived, Celestia bringing up the rear, as the white unicorn stallion among the trio assured her, “Somepony up and vanishing isn’t going to go unnoticed.”

“Shining Armor!” Twilight turned and practically charged to meet him, only to be greeted with a warm hug. “I was starting to wonder where you were!” She waited just long enough to get a gentle nuzzle before turning back and introducing him. “Everyone, allow me to introduce Prince Shining Armor and…”

“Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.” Sunset Shimmer approached, awestruck, and gave a small bow. “I’m not sure if you remember me or not, we never met, but…”

“Oh, I remember you, Sunset Shimmer. Aunt Celestia mentioned you often when you were her student, and it’s good to finally meet you. But you don’t need to be so formal; just Cadance is fine.”

A confused expression on her face, the human Rarity stood up, Spike still held in her arms, and approached. “Twilight, darling, I don’t mean to question, but how did you come to know this fellow Shining Armor?”

Surprise crossed the stallion’s face, and he looked to his sibling. “Again, Twily? What do I have to do before you start telling your friends who I am?”

Twilight flashed a sheepish grin. “Sorry, BBBFF.” She then turned to Rarity and explained, “He’s my big brother.”

Comprehension dawned upon her. “Oh!” Suddenly far more interested, she queried further, “So, did he become a prince when you became a princess, or…?”

Cadance gave the girl a smirk, an eyebrow arched. “He became a prince when he and I got married.”

“Oh.” Suddenly feeling very awkward, Rarity looked down only to find Spike glaring at her, forcing her eyes to one side as she noted with embarrassment, “You clearly make a very lovely couple, my apologies.”

The smirk turned to a smile, and Cadance gave the girl a gentle nudge with one hoof. “So will you and whoever you end up with one day.”

The unicorn Rarity approached and added, “Indeed, darling. And don’t feel too terrible; I don’t know what I swooned over more, finding out that Twilight’s brother was Captain of the Royal Guard, or that I would be designing Cadance’s wedding dress, as well as those of her bridesmaids.” A sigh. “They were absolutely lovely, by the way. If only the rest of the wedding had gone as well.”

“Yeah, I didn’t even get to throw Shining Armor his bachelor party.” At the surprised looks from the various humans, Spike explained, “Nopony told me that it had to be before the wedding, for starters.”

Shining Armor responded by giving the baby dragon an affectionate nudge with one hoof. “Hey, what you did saving the Crystal Empire from King Sombra more than made up for it, Spike.”

“Nightmare Moon and King Sombra?” A small laugh and Sunset Shimmer wondered aloud, “I’m beginning to wonder just how much I’ve missed out on.”

Twilight offered an encouraging smile. “You’re part of it now.”

A gasp, and heads turned to the two Pinkie Pies, the human one now aghast. “Omigosh, I just realized something!” She rushed to Twilight and reasoned, “Twilight and Spike both have counterparts in our world, and we all have counterparts in theirs!”

The human Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Yes darling, I think that’s been sufficiently established.”

“Yes, but where’s Sunset Shimmer’s counterpart?!” Another gasp as she rushed to Sunset and asked, “Did you force her out of her house and stay with her parents when this place was closed?!”

“Pinkie, I didn’t even try to figure out if I had a counterpart here! I slept in the equipment locker when this place was closed off and the other portal was active! And as for my parents, well…” Sunset Shimmer turned mournful and admitted, “I don’t know about here, but back in Equestria, my parents passed away a while ago. Until I was accepted into Princess Celestia’s school, I was raised by an aunt and uncle with a filly of their own, a pegasus couple.” She looked to Applejack and admitted, “I might’ve been a monster, but I’ve never been a hypocrite. At least, not about dead relatives.”

“Our world’s Sunset Shimmer is attending another school, and has been for a while.” Heads turned, this time to the portal leading back to the human world, where Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna stood, the latter with a cup of coffee in hand. “And it’s a minor miracle you two haven’t crossed paths already.” She turned to her opposite and bowed her head. “Princess Celestia.”

The princess responded in turn. “Principal Celestia.”

Surprise came clear on the faces of both her former students, a brief glance exchanged, and Sunset Shimmer turned to the principal and realized aloud, “You knew. But how?”

“We first discovered the portal to this place when we were students at CHS, not long after my freshman year began.” Vice Principal Luna approached her counterpart. “You five aren’t the only ones to have something in common with your counterparts. When I started here, I had some trouble adjusting to being in my sister’s shadow. After a while, it became too much, and I found my way here. I didn’t know how to get back. I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to, until I found I wasn’t quite alone.”

“But Princess Luna was still trapped in the…” Twilight then realized whom the human Luna spoke of. “Oh.”

“Human or pony, while you recognized them as distinct individuals, you saw no difference between your friends and their counterparts. I felt no different, and I could not fail my sister again.” Princess Celestia smiled and added, “It was a fortunate choice, and allowed me opportunities I wouldn’t otherwise have known.”

“Hold on one apple buckin’ minute.” Applejack gave her monarch a surprised look and asked, “Ah thought you said you didn’t know a thing ‘bout the other world.”

“No, I said that Twilight would know more than I did. And the best teacher is always first-hand experience. Everything I knew about it came from my talks with my counterpart and Princess Luna’s, as well as what I’d learned from my own studies.”

“And we were pleased to have her with us, even for so short a time. I just wish we didn’t have to maintain the ruse.” The principal approached Twilight and noted, “I can understand why you’d be hesitant to tell me what was going on, Princess Twilight, but I wish you’d been willing to tell me the truth.”

Twilight managed a nervous smile. “I guess, but I didn’t think you’d believe me. I know I wouldn’t have.” She rubbed the back of her head with one hoof as she added, “Besides, we left the original crown from your world behind in ours. No clue what’ll happen with that.”

Princess Celestia laughed. “Don’t worry. These things have a way of working out.”

“All things considered, it didn’t turn out too badly.” Sunset Shimmer turned to Principal Celestia and asked, “But if you’ve known about me all this time, then why didn’t you do anything about it?”

“Such as? The portal you used to get here in the first place was closed by the time I was able to confirm what happened, and I couldn’t force you to go back the next time it opened. It had to be your choice. And as for everything you did at Canterlot High, well, you know how easy it is to prove when someone’s being a bully. I’m just hoping you haven’t given Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon too many pointers, given how much of an influence you’ve been on Snips and Snails.”

Applejack shook her head, thinking of the troubles Apple Bloom had faced dealing with them. “Trust me miss, if they’re anythin’ like their filly selves, those two are trouble all on their own. But that’s water under the bridge. All this explains why the princess didn’t let us go with Twilight and why she didn’t stop Spike; her counterpart ain’t a student in your school, and there’d be enough trouble with one pony tryin’ to pass for…” She looked at her counterpart nervously and admitted, “Sorry darlin’. I wanna say ‘monkey’, but y’all’re too big and ain’t got tails.”

“You aren’t too far off, actually; humans and monkeys are all part of the primate family.” The human Fluttershy nervously amended, “Of course, there are plenty of differences, obviously.”

Sunset Shimmer smiled and rolled her eyes. “Obviously. A monkey has a very different idea of what indoor plumbing is, for one thing.” The smile faded as she turned back to Principal Celestia, concern now clear on her face. “But what happens now? I mean, I can’t go back to Equestria, not for another thirty moons anyway. I figured out not long after I first arrived I couldn’t pass as a high school student forever, and even if I didn’t go back, I’d end up graduating out eventually.” A horrible realization dawned upon her as she realized out loud, “I’m going to have to get a job.”

“And probably your own place. You certainly can’t stay here forever.” A quick sip of coffee, and Vice Principal Luna noted, “There’s also the matter of the rest of your punishment. I doubt anyone will take the student body’s claims seriously about your transformation and hypnosis, but you still destroyed school property. You did a good job cleaning up and starting repairs, but you, Snips and Snails can’t fix all the damage.”

A nod. “I know. And I know it doesn’t excuse them, but they were acting under my orders. Whatever punishments they get, they don’t deserve anything as bad as what’s coming to me.”

“Perhaps, but I’d think suspension will suffice for all three of you. It will give you time enough to find your own place off-campus and make some new arrangements.”

“And until such time as you can get your own abode, well, we do have a spare room.” The human Rarity approached and explained, “Twilight stayed with us her second night in our world. If I can offer it to her, I can at least give you the same courtesy, if only temporarily.”

“And when you come back, if’n you’re interested, we can find a place for you easy enough in Ponyville.” Applejack approached and offered, “Always a little extra room ‘round the table for Hearth’s Warmin’ Eve dinner.”

“And I can help you find a pet, if you’re interested.”

“Oh, we’ll throw you the biggest welcome home party ever! I might even have to break out all of my party cannons, maybe buy a party tank!”

“And after making so many dresses and things for the other girls, I’d be more than happy to do the same for you, darling.”

“And by the time you get back, I’ll be a Wonderbolt! Best seats in the house every performance!” At the skeptical looks of the other ponies, Rainbow Dash backed off and added, “Or, I could try and track down that family you mentioned. Make sure they know you’re okay.”

Sunset Shimmer laughed and gave the rainbow-maned pegasus a thankful hug. “Thanks. Right now, though, I want to get some sleep. I’ve been up all night, after all, and masonry’s hard work for anyone.” A thought came to her, and she added, “But before I do anything else, I’ve got two things to take care of. One, there’s a crown that needs to get back to its proper owner.”

She moved to her dresser amidst confused expressions from the younger girls and ponies, and the human Rarity asked her, “But Twilight got her crown back last night.”

“That isn’t the crown I was talking about.” Sunset opened a drawer and pulled out a different crown, one that the humans instantly recognized. “This is. It’s the one you would’ve won last spring if it wasn’t for me.” She approached the purple-haired girl and continued, “I know it isn’t much, but…”

Rarity’s response was to gently set Spike down and take hold of her former rival with a tight embrace, an excited and joyful grin on her face. “Oh, apology accepted, darling!” She claimed the crown and placed it upon her head, beaming all the while. “Of all the best possible things…” She caught herself and admitted, “Well, this is certainly high on the list. Thank you. Now, you were saying something about a second thing to take care of?”

“Yeah, I’m going to need a little help with that.” She turned to Twilight and asked, “Twilight, if I’m going to be your student, you’d better make it official.”

“Of course. Spike, take a…” At the young dragon’s arched eyebrow, she realized, “Oh, right, no quills or scrolls.”

“Will pen and paper do?” The human Pinkie immediately produced a clipboard with a couple pieces of blank paper and a pen and handed them off to Spike.

“Perfect! Thanks Pinkie!” One click of the pen, and Spike was ready to start writing.

The young alicorn cleared her throat and dictated, “I, Princess Twilight Sparkle, officially take on Sunset Shimmer as my student in the Magic of Friendship. She, as well as the new friends that she has made, will report to me any and all findings in regards to it during the remainder of her self-imposed exile in the human world when they feel that they have something worthy of report, either verbally or through written record. And should she ever require any advice, aid or assistance in regards to her studies, or in general, she can call upon me and our collective friends whenever necessary.”

Sunset Shimmer could already hear the gleeful squeal coming from Pinkie Pie, but held up her hand to stop her. “Twilight, those reports? I think I have one right now.” She looked down as Spike removed one paper from the clipboard and rolled it up, handing it off to Twilight before getting another one ready. At the dragon’s nod, she started her own dictation. “Dear Princess Twilight Sparkle. Thanks to you, I have learned the first of, what I hope will be many, lessons about friendship.” She looked over those gathered and said aloud, “That an important thing about having friends, is being a friend, and being willing to forgive or let go of another’s misdeeds, no matter how severe they are. If nothing else, they can help you to forgive yourself.” She turned back to Twilight and smiled, “Sincerely, your student and newest friend, Sunset Shimmer.”

As Spike dotted his last period, her human friends embraced her, and Sunset Shimmer laughed. For the first time in a very long time, she felt good, a feeling that didn’t abate as Rarity turned from her to the young alicorn and asked, “We’ll see you all again soon, I hope?”

“Of course.”

“Well, let’s not keep Sunset up any longer then.” Principal Celestia gestured for the rest of the students to file out, while Princess Celestia did likewise for her subjects and fellow royals.

Sunset watched them go, finding herself sitting on her bed as the last of the party from Canterlot High departed, the group from Equestria all but gone save for one. “Princess Celestia, I have one more question.” The princess turned back as she asked, “If you don’t mind saying, when did you ever fail Twilight? She earned everything that I wanted, so you obviously did better with her than me.”

A sad look crossed the princess’ face as she explained, “Yes, but even I sometimes forget to trust others’ judgment.” Her expression brightened as she added, “Ask Twilight about the wedding and you’ll understand.”

“I will. Good day, Princess Celestia.”

“Good day, Sunset Shimmer. Sleep well.”

The princess finally turned and departed through the portal, and Sunset Shimmer smiled and slipped off her jacket and boots. The former was hung upon a bedpost, the latter left at her bedside, and she climbed into her bed, the light coming from above dimming softly. For thirty moons, she had dreamt of returning to Equestria to rule, little more than an idle fantasy; now, she would dream of returning for reasons far better than a throne. She had a home waiting for her, and for now, a second chance.

She laughed as she nodded off and thought aloud, “Wait ‘till Lyra Heartstrings hears about all of this…”

Comments ( 48 )

5360519

I don't know if it's less crowded now, but I've separated it into two chapters, so that might help.

I liked the story, but I'd agree with the crowding, and Celestia just bringing everyone into the third realm. But you know, it worked out perfectly fine. You got a good range on your vocabulary, and I enjoyed reading every word of this story.

5430017 Thanks. I'll admit, bringing everyone in may not have been the smartest idea on my part - the story probably should've ended with Twilight starting to recount the series premiere - but I felt like it was needed for Sunset to know she'd been forgiven, and that there was a home waiting for her back in Equestria. Plus it led to that little bit with Rarity, and I have every intention of following that up.

Glad you enjoyed the story, however, and thanks for faving it.

I posted a review for this story as part of the recent Sunset Shimmer group's recent round of Mini-Reviews, and it can be found here! :twilightsmile:

5714648 Thanks! I'll put more of a reply there rather than here. :twilightsmile:

My review circle review blog post for this story: Here

Nicely done. I'm very glad I found this one. :pinkiehappy:
Definitely worth a favorite and a like.

5782503 Thanks very much! I hope you enjoy the follow-up, and the rest of my little alt-verse, as much as you've enjoyed this one!

Seems half decent if a bit short and typically on the positive side. I hope you'll write a bit more.

A regretful expression crossed Celestia’s face. “Alas, no. While I have no objection to her returning to Equestria to stay, I cannot retake her as a student, no matter how much I may want to.” A smile formed as she added, “That said, I think that somepony else may be better suited for the task.”

Is this because she doesn't have a need for a student anymore? Does she only accept potential princesses and if you flunk out, that's it? What's your rationale behind this. I can understand her not wanting or needing to or Sunset being to old, but Celestia's statement strikes me as a little odd.

P.S.
I find the whole Celestia got/had a student to get a 'Princess of Friendship' thing kind of silly just as much her being able to make Alicorns. The latter kind of makes it highly sketchy for her to elevate just one pony and so on. It's also unnecessary here, I think, and make Sunset's failure much more of Celestia's oops and Twilight's alicornness more of preferential treatment by Celestia.

5875553

Celestia can't take Sunset back as a student because she expelled Sunset. She can't just undo something like that. You get expelled from one school or school system, you have to go to another one.

As for getting/having a student to get a 'Princess of Friendship'...that's something that's going to come up in the follow-up to this story, currently in progress, and (amazingly) backed by official sources (or at least semi-official, depending on how you view the comics). Same with Celestia's ability to make alicorns. I won't spoil it, but I will say that Celestia saw a lot of the same things in Sunset that she saw in Twilight and all of her other students. Twilight didn't become an alicorn because she was Teacher's Pet; there was a lot more at play than that. She wasn't the first pony to ascend, after all, and she won't be the last, either. Take that as you will.

5875615
I see. Although, seeing as it's her school, expulsion is in some sense temporary even if rescinding it would be bad policy.

5875799

Perhaps, though I tend to think that breaking into secure areas and making unrealistic demands would constitute a rather strict punishment.

5875866
Perhaps, but as I think about it, I'm not ensure sure being Celestia's personal student/protege/etc is intrinsically tied to the canterlot school for gifted unicorns or whatever it's called. Additionally, in forgiving Luna, Celestia potentially forgave more than any pony deserves and thus makes any case where she punishes someone for less a double standard, particularly if they've paid an adequate or excessive degree of suffering.

Depending on what Sunset was really after in the first place and the relationship between her and Celestia, Celestia could be either shrugging or rather harmful here.

5883476

So far as my works are concerned, being Celestia's personal student or protege is tied to the school - Twilight applied to attend, and it's only due to doing so that she became Celestia's student. I've got no reason to assume otherwise for Sunset.

As for Luna, there's enough evidence that there were mitigating factors behind what she did - it was hinted by Faust herself, and outright confirmed by the comics, that Luna was manipulated and possessed, in addition to being severely depressed. Those are mitigating factors that, so far as we know, weren't a factor in Sunset's case.

In both cases, however, Celestia and Luna/Sunset agreed that mistakes were made on all parts. Exactly what Sunset wanted is something I'm delving into with the follow-up, however, so feel free to debate that there.

This was pretty well put together. I like the idea of the third area, even if as Csqured said, it got a bit crowded. Really sweet; something I could see occurring in-show. Nice work!

6062307 Thanks! I'll admit, it did get a bit crowded at the end, but I like to think it was counterbalanced by some of the more touching moments.

6062365 Indeed so. You did a good job!

The writing here flowed, and there were no technical issues that drew me out of the experience. That 'spare room' idea was nice stroke of creativity. Though I'll also go along with the other notes about the crowd at the end getting a bit pressing on the emotions going back and forth. =)

6349001 Yeah, that seems to be the single biggest issue folks have with this story. I'm happy with it, but I might just have tried to do too much at once. Live and learn, yes? But folks like it regardless, so I'm going to take that as a win.

nice. I'm working on a tale where the EQs meet their Mane 6 counterparts in Equestria.
very well-done and entertaining.

6375926 Thank you! I hope your tale proves as popular as this one has been.

7691627 Aw, thank you. That part just flowed perfectly out of my head and onto the proverbial page, and I'm really glad that folks like it. :yay:

This has been reviewed by The Reviewers' Cafe. You can find the review here:

https://www.fimfiction.net/group/211585/reviewers-cafe/thread/308771/reviews#page/5

8472813
Thank you, I'm glad that you approve of the story.

I have to say, I've always rather liked the idea of the "third realm" in between CHS and Equestria. ^^ It nicely gives Sunset a place to stay without having her resort to some rough or immoral means of getting by in the human world.

People have talked about the issue of crowding in this story, and I do see that a bit here. But at the same time, I feel that you did a good job of dealing with it through some nice character interactions (the two versions of Twilight's friends meeting never fails to make me smile :twilightsmile:)

8613842
I'm surprised and pleased at the fact that no one seemed to come up with it before I did, to be honest. And while I've managed to come up with all sorts of backstory to go with it since, when I conceived of it at the start, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

And while it was a bit crowded, I will never be ashamed of the human-pony interactions.

8614092
Heck, some of my favorite ideas for story material have been because of "it seemed like a good idea at the time". And hey, points for uniqueness!

Indeed! Be proud of the pony-human interactions, friend - they were a blast! (Oh, Rarity... XD)

8614411
Nice to know I'm not alone then.

There it is. There's the giant crowd I remember. Waaaaaaaay too crowded. All the conversations just jumbled together. And while that makes sense because that's what would likely happen in a crowd like that anyway, it doesn't make for the best reading experience.

9384317
In hindsight, the large crowd was probably not the wisest idea, but that's just how things worked out with this one. In any case, thanks for giving it another look.

She laughed as she nodded off and thought aloud, “Wait ‘till Lyra Heartstrings hears about all of this…”

:rainbowlaugh:

9654302
Oh, how I'm looking forward to the payoff for that line.

10786561
The bridge realm is in between the human and pony world, right?

That is definitely true.

Wait, did she ask them? Because, I don’t think I remember that part.

Hey, if sunset can break multiple laws and get minimum punishment the most I better get for beating principle celestia into a bloody mess is a week detention.

Specific means like what?

I’m pretty sure there was an interview explaining that about spike.

Give me which one?

Oh sorry. I didn’t have popularity at my school. And if I did I didn’t notice.

Six months? Time went by that quick?

Oh it was out of fear? Sorry, you know how snips and snails love to do stupid things even if they aren’t scared so I got a little confused.

Which part is the foreshadowing?

True, but one I’m less likely to forgive compared to twilight and CHS and two, those haven’t happened yet so those don’t count.

10786675
Correct, yes.

Twilight asked the HuMane Five to look after Sunset at the end of the first film, yes.

Again, I'm working with what canon's given me.

Particular spells that Twilight hasn't figured out yet but is inclined to not use simply because they aren't necessary.

Fluttershy being a little too nice for her own good, or anyone else's. That can and will be a problem.

I might've misinterpreted your initial question. Sunset derailing Rarity's bid for the Spring Fling was six months prior to this story, while the events of the first Equestria Girls film ended the previous evening.

Twilight's expression of realization was meant to be foreshadowing.

10787110
I may have to go back and watch the movie.

Nice to know that fluttershy’s kindness is gonna be the cause of trouble.

That might have happened with a few of the questions, but I’m not sure. I may need to number my comments next time.

Oh ok.

“Shiny.” Princess Cadance gave her husband a teasing smile as they strode through the halls of the Crystal Palace, having just caught him up on everything that had happened in his absence. “No one blames you for anything that’s happened, and odds are that even if you’d been here, Sunset Shimmer would have made off with Twilight’s crown anyway. Besides, Twilight and Spike made it back safely.”

We’d never know.

“Still, this is what, the fifth time something like this has happened?” At his wife’s chiding expression, Shining Armor sighed and relented. “And she’s managed it with flying colors every time. Still, if she hadn’t…” He opted not to elaborate on that point, mostly because he’d rather not consider what he would have done to Sunset Shimmer had her plan been successful, but the results would have been extremely unpleasant. “Anyway, I’m here now, work’s underway for the Games, Twily’s safe, and I can’t wait to see her.”

That I would love to see.

“Nightmare Moon was destroyed, sort of.” Twilight shrugged before she continued her story. “We later found out that her fall wasn’t entirely her fault; her bitterness and envy of her sister had left her vulnerable to manipulation and possession by an outside force, which transformed her into Nightmare Moon in the first place. We destroyed the possessing force, but the real pony remained behind.”

Wait, really?

“And I wouldn’t have done too well anyway, considering what happened last night.” Sunset looked to the princess and explained, “Everything I did was all me, but what you did as Nightmare Moon…”

That’s facts.

A small smile. “I can understand that.” She laughed and asked, “So, when I finally come back, how much candy am I going to owe you?”

Luna laughed. “We will discuss that once you’ve returned.”

Candy?

The other girls exchanged confused looks, and Spike noted, “Nightmare Night. Twi and I’ll explain later.”

So she’s not talking about her and sunset?

“MAGIC PORTAL!” Attention turned back to the portal as a pink earth pony landed inside of the realm, her mane like cotton candy and a sugary grin on her face. As others followed, she gasped, her human counterpart doing likewise and jumping from her chair, the two meeting and declaring as one, “Hi Pinkie!” before laughing and hugging like old friends.

Oh no.

“Tearin’ apart our counterparts’ friendship, bullyin’ them an’ Twilight, framin’ her? Yeah, we got the short version.” Applejack returned her Stetson to its proper place and stepped towards her with a polite look on her equine face. “She also told us you were repentant ‘bout the whole mess. After what you went through, can’t really blame ya.”

You didn’t really go through much.

Surprise crossed the stallion’s face, and he looked to his sibling. “Again, Twily? What do I have to do before you start telling your friends who I am?”

Whack her over the head?

“Oh.” Suddenly feeling very awkward, Rarity looked down only to find Spike glaring at her, forcing her eyes to one side as she noted with embarrassment, “You clearly make a very lovely couple, my apologies.”

It’s not like she was flirting, was she?

“Pinkie, I didn’t even try to figure out if I had a counterpart here! I slept in the equipment locker when this place was closed off and the other portal was active! And as for my parents, well…” Sunset Shimmer turned mournful and admitted, “I don’t know about here, but back in Equestria, my parents passed away a while ago. Until I was accepted into Princess Celestia’s school, I was raised by an aunt and uncle with a filly of their own, a pegasus couple.” She looked to Applejack and admitted, “I might’ve been a monster, but I’ve never been a hypocrite. At least, not about dead relatives.”

I wanna say she’s lying, but I got no proof.

“Our world’s Sunset Shimmer is attending another school, and has been for a while.” Heads turned, this time to the portal leading back to the human world, where Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna stood, the latter with a cup of coffee in hand. “And it’s a minor miracle you two haven’t crossed paths already.” She turned to her opposite and bowed her head. “Princess Celestia.”

So they knew sunset was from another world? Now I want to send them to their graves.

“We first discovered the portal to this place when we were students at CHS, not long after my freshman year began.” Vice Principal Luna approached her counterpart. “You five aren’t the only ones to have something in common with your counterparts. When I started here, I had some trouble adjusting to being in my sister’s shadow. After a while, it became too much, and I found my way here. I didn’t know how to get back. I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to, until I found I wasn’t quite alone.”

“But Princess Luna was still trapped in the…” Twilight then realized whom the human Luna spoke of. “Oh.”

What?

“Hold on one apple buckin’ minute.” Applejack gave her monarch a surprised look and asked, “Ah thought you said you didn’t know a thing ‘bout the other world.”

“No, I said that Twilight would know more than I did. And the best teacher is always first-hand experience. Everything I knew about it came from my talks with my counterpart and Princess Luna’s, as well as what I’d learned from my own studies.”

You know what? I’m almost surprised.

“And we were pleased to have her with us, even for so short a time. I just wish we didn’t have to maintain the ruse.” The principal approached Twilight and noted, “I can understand why you’d be hesitant to tell me what was going on, Princess Twilight, but I wish you’d been willing to tell me the truth.”

You didn’t tell the truth.

“Such as? The portal you used to get here in the first place was closed by the time I was able to confirm what happened, and I couldn’t force you to go back the next time it opened. It had to be your choice. And as for everything you did at Canterlot High, well, you know how easy it is to prove when someone’s being a bully. I’m just hoping you haven’t given Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon too many pointers, given how much of an influence you’ve been on Snips and Snails.”

I have to much of anger problem so if I was one of the CHS students and I heard this, there would be nothing but cussing coming out of my mouth.

She laughed as she nodded off and thought aloud, “Wait ‘till Lyra Heartstrings hears about all of this…”

Lyra knew, too?

10788244
Regarding Shining Armor - I'm convinced that he'd be a spectactularly effective and dangerous opponent in the right circumstances. Alas, the show being what it is, we'd never see those circumstances.

Regarding Nightmare Moon - I drew that from both Lauren Faust's comments and from the comics.

Regarding candy - the candy offerings from Nightmare Night? Sunset's missed out on a few of them.

You're being awfully vindictive towards Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna. I admit, I could have handled things better with them, but again, I had to work with what canon gave me. And from the perspective of someone whose authority figures often failed them in regards to dealing with bullies and assorted assholes, I'd want some measure of payback too, but I can at least see their point of view.

And no, Principal Celestia didn't tell the truth. She didn't have firm reason to do so - so far as she knew, a random new student had come into her office and asked a few odd questions about an upcoming school event, and with a lot on her mind, she didn't pay it too much thought. Had circumstances been different, she would have been far more forthcoming.

And no, Lyra doesn't know. Yet.

10788414
Yup, real shame.

What comments and comics?

Oh yea. I forgot about that.

I’m sorry, it’s just that I take bullying very seriously. So the fact that they knew about it and didn’t do anything honestly makes want to break every bone in their bodies, and I can assure you that’s putting it lightly.

I feel like if she did know she still wouldn’t say anything.

Then, why did sunset want to tell Lyra?

10788484
Lauren Faust once made comments suggesting that some outside force was responsible for corrupting Luna into Nightmare Moon. The IDW comics, meanwhile, had a story arc based on that idea.

I take it seriously too, but there's knowing about something and being able to provide incontrovertible proof. Besides, if Sunset went to juvie, she could get lost in the system, and they wanted to keep track of her. Easier to do that where they have some measure of authority.

Sunset doesn't want to tell Lyra. She just expects that Lyra will likely find out about it once enough time passes.

10788513
Are you talking about nightmare rarity?

I feel like that doesn’t justify anything. It also doesn’t make me want to hurt them any less.

Does she have a thing for ponies or something?

10788544
Yes, I'm talking about Nightmare Rarity.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this particular plot thread, though take some comfort in the fact that they will get called out for their actions.

I like the headcanon that the pony version of Lyra is interested in humans, though not borderline obsessed. The human version, meanwhile, has a similar fascination with ponies.

10788850
Oh yea. I didn’t think that was canon.

Thank god. You did a little bit.

Oh ok

10788906
I'm of the opinion that unless it's contradicted by the show, stuff from the expanded universe has a measure of canonicity to it. That being said, I wrote this back when there was a lot less to contradict, so yeah.

11462132
Thank you for the review. I wish that it had been closer to snuff.

Login or register to comment