• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 6,452 Views, 808 Comments

Leap of Faith - A bag of plums



After the defeat of the Dazzlings, Sunset Shimmer finds herself at the center of an ancient struggle for power. With the net closing around them, can Sunset and her friends find out the truth before it finds them?

  • ...
29
 808
 6,452

PreviousChapters Next
Strength In Allies

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

It’s good to hear that everyone’s doing great, even with all these tests you have to study for. Personally, I recommend keeping a tight schedule on it, since distractions are everywhere, even more so than in Equestria. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take breaks; if you don’t let yourself reflect on what you’ve studied you won’t learn anything either.

About the new arrivals to Canterlot High School you wrote to me about, Spike and I have been checking through the archives and records here, but I haven’t been able to locate anypony named Velvet Breeze from Trottingham. If my theory about the link between our worlds is right, then it’s highly possible that she could be right here in Ponyville, or is not likely using her real name. I’ll ask Pinkie Pie in the morning. In the meantime, keep a close eye on her but until she does something outright suspicious, try not to spook her. It wouldn’t do to alienate someone just over a bit of paranoia.

As for this Mr. Wolfgang, I’m still looking for him. If he’s really an inspector from the board of education, please do your best to keep his view of Canterlot High a positive one.

I’m afraid that I won’t be able to make it to your world for more than a month at least; my duties as the Princess of Friendship are especially heavy during the time of Hearth’s Warming Eve. Don’t worry too much though, I’ll still write regularly about all the goings-on here in Equestria. Should anything arise, please inform me of it too; we can face it together, as friends.

Please give my warmest regards to the rest of the girls, and good luck with the upcoming exams.

Your friend,

Twilight Sparkle

It was a rather less helpful of a reply than what Sunset Shimmer had expected when she had written to her Equestrian friend on Saturday night.

But then what were you expecting, Sunset? she thought bitterly as she got ready for school. Princess Twilight to solve all your problems in one letter? That’s not how things work.

While this kind of attitude was exactly what Sunset Shimmer had been trying to wean herself off of, in the back of her mind she blamed whoever had been in charge of Sunday afternoon’s TV programming.

“Who in their right mind decides to air a Mare Do Well marathon during exam season?” she grumbled as she laced her boots.

She pulled out her phone and checked the time. Seven thirty-eight. She’d had closer calls than this before and it honestly wouldn’t have bothered her overly much even if she had been late today…were it not for the fact that today was the first day of inspections by Mr. Wolfgang, and Sunset had a sneaking suspicion that he had his eye on her.

Sunset’s stomach growled but she ignored it. She would just have to eat later. Right now, Canterlot High School’s reputation was at stake, and she wasn’t about to let her friends down.


It was just nearing eight o’clock when Sunset jogged into view of CHS’s front gates. She unwrapped the scarf from around her neck and slung it over her shoulder with her bag, reveling in the cold breeze that tickled her exposed neck. She hadn’t realized that she’d been sweating so much, but for all the panting and wheezing she was making, the run had been worth it. She was right on time.

Given the cold weather, Sunset hadn’t expected to see anyone outside and she was not disappointed; the campus grounds were completely deserted as she advanced on the front doors.

And then, as though on some hidden cue, there was a tiny click and the tip of something cold and metallic pressed into the back of Sunset Shimmer’s neck.

Sunset stopped dead in her tracks, her entire body stiffening. The object did not move, poking into the nape of her neck with an almost painful pressure.

Then a hand clapped down on her shoulder from behind and pulled, spinning her in a half-circle. Momentarily disoriented, Sunset’s eyes regained focus on a gleaming silver point that was leveled at her nose like a sword, held in the grip of a familiar figure in a knee-length white coat.

Velvet Breeze’s face was blank as she spun the thing around her fingers before offering it to Sunset again. “You dropped this.”

Sunset rallied quickly, stepping backward and examining the object. It was a ballpoint pen, sleek and thin with a chrome casing. Her pen.

“T-Thanks.” Sunset said shakily, taking it back and returning it to her jacket pocket.

Velvet shrugged and brushed past her. Sunset caught a whiff of something that smelled like antiseptic cream as she walked by.

The blue girl stopped at the front doors, cocking her head back to pin Sunset down with the same stare that she had been wearing on the day they had met. Once again, Sunset felt as though Velvet’s eyes were boring through her like a laser beam, reading everything about her in that one look.

And then the moment passed as the bell rang and Velvet returned her attention to the swell of students behind the glass doors, leaving Sunset with a dry mouth and a sudden desire to be somewhere far away.

“We should hurry, Sunset Shimmer. Class is about to begin.”


It was clear that Mr. Wolfgang’s arrival was a surprise not only to the student body of Canterlot High, but to the staff as well.

Homeroom had been an…interesting affair. Mrs. Harshwhinny read off the roll at a volume that was almost indecently loud, making exaggerated check marks on her clipboard while shooting clandestine glances at Mr. Wolfgang. The inspector had parked himself in the corner of the room closest to the teacher’s desk with a clipboard of his own, intermittently making notes presumably about Mrs. Harshwhinny’s performance. Sunset had never seen her teacher so nervous, not even when she had been put in charge of the annual sporting fair last year.

Not that all her attention was focused on the adults in the room, though. In the reflection of her open pencil case, Sunset kept a close eye on Velvet Breeze, seated two rows behind to the left.

She hadn’t removed her coat despite the temperate atmosphere of the classroom, and was slouched in her seat almost languidly as the lesson went on. Every now and then she would write in her notebook but otherwise there was nothing that suggested Velvet Breeze was anything but a bored student in a boring class.

A far cry from the girl who had nearly stabbed her with her own pen earlier that morning.

Sunset thought back to Twilight’s letter. It had said to keep a close eye on Velvet, but Sunset was starting to have misgivings about that particular piece of advice. Not that she doubted the Princess of Friendship; she just couldn’t think of any reason to approach Velvet without seeming suspicious.

Still pondering this dilemma as Mrs. Harshwhinny dismissed the class, Sunset was suddenly struck by an idea. Maybe there was something she could use to get close to Velvet.

“Thank you, Pinkie Pie.” She said with a smile.


Mr. Wolfgang was markedly absent from the rest of Sunset Shimmer’s lessons up until lunch, something for which she was thankful. The review session from homeroom had been decidedly unhelpful as Mr. Wolfgang had butted in with questions every few minutes, completely killing the mood and flow of the class.

The rest of Sunset’s friends were seated at their usual table at the far end of the cafeteria, but Sunset didn’t approach them right away. Instead, the amber skinned girl gave the lunchroom a perfunctory scan, searching for a lone figure in a white coat.

“Looking for someone?” a snide voice said behind Sunset.

Sunset turned around, almost hitting the speaker with her lunch tray. “Trixie. What do you want?”

Running a hand through her cornflower blue striped hair, Trixie smirked. “Why, nothing. As if Trixie would need the assistance of someone such as yourself. As a matter of fact, it seems as though it is you who needs the help of Trixie.”

Loathe as she was to stroke Trixie’s already inflated ego, Sunset had to admit she was right. She couldn’t see Velvet anywhere in the cafeteria, and her lunch was getting cold.

“All right, maybe you can help me.” Sunset sighed. “I’m looking for Velvet Breeze. You know, the new girl. She’s wearing a-“

“A white coat, yes. Do you think Trixie is blind as well as desperate? Of course I know who the new transfer student is.”

“Do you know where she is? I need to speak with her.”

Trixie gave her chin a thoughtful stroke. “Admittedly, Trixie does not know where Velvet Breeze currently is. However, to compensate for not being able to provide you with the information you wanted, Trixie will instead provide you with a piece of gossip.”

“The girl you are seeking, Velvet Breeze, we share the same chemistry class. Trixie sits next to her, and all through the class today she was asking Trixie questions. Questions about you.”

“About me?” repeated Sunset, now giving Trixie her full attention.

“Indeed! She was most curious about you. Almost…licentiously so. Trixie found it very distracting.”

Trixie began to walk away, but Sunset reached out and caught the magician’s arm. “What kind of questions?”

Trixie pried Sunset’s fingers off her jacket sleeve and gave her an aloof smile. “Trixie promised to give you a piece of gossip, and you have heard it. Trixie has more important things to do; eat, for one. Being the most talented girl in CHS requires keeping myself well nourished.” A greedy look came into Trixie’s eyes. “That is, unless you were willing to trade something to Trixie in exchange for my knowledge?”

Sunset frowned. “I’m not telling you the Rainbooms’ next practice date, if that’s what you want,” she warned. The last time Trixie had found out about their band’s practice times, she had come in and demanded to be given a spot on it.

“Nothing like that,” Trixie huffed, “and Trixie is hurt that you would think someone such as myself would try the same trick twice.”

“Then what do you want?” Sunset was running out of patience, not to mention hungry; having skipped breakfast, she had been looking forward to a nice, filling lunch.

After an agonizingly slow moment that was interrupted by the growl of Sunset’s stomach, Trixie’s face lit up. She eyed Sunset’s lunch tray craftily.

“In exchange for this gossip,” she declared, “The Great and Powerful Trixie desires none other than…your peanut butter crackers.” Her demand made, Trixie held out her hand expectantly.

“Fine.” Sunset deposited the foil package into Trixie’s hand with rather more force than was necessary. “Now tell me what Velvet asked you.”

Her mouth watering, Trixie stuck the peanut butter crackers into her pocket and gave Sunset another smirk. “Velvet Breeze asked Trixie all sorts of questions about you. But what stood out most to Trixie was how she kept asking if I knew your address.”

“You didn’t tell her, did you?” Sunset asked, aghast.

“Of course I didn’t.”

“Oh good-“

“But I did suggest that she ask Flash Sentry, what with him being your ex and all.”

“You WHAT?!”

The words tore out of Sunset’s lips louder than she intended, and rather more forcefully too; Trixie actually took a step back and those seated at nearby tables turned around to look for the source of the disturbance.

“And,” said Sunset, trying to keep her voice down, “did Flash tell her my address?”

“H-How should I know?” Trixie said nervously. “Trixie hasn’t seen either of them since!”

Not waiting to hear another word, Sunset abandoned her lunch tray on the closest table and was off like a shot. She had to find Flash before Velvet could get to him.


Sunset found Flash Sentry sitting with Soarin and Spitfire in the gym, chatting about the results of last night’s soccer game. Seeing her, Soarin gave Flash a nudge and a grin before scooching over to make room.

“Hey there, Sunset.” Flash said, treating her to a warm smile before he noticed her flushed and sweaty face. “What’s happening?” he asked with a touch of concern.

“Did...Did you tell her?” Sunset panted, bending over and resting her hands on her knees.

Now Flash truly looked worried. “Did I tell who what?” He gently took Sunset by the arm and steered her over to the empty spot on the bench. “Is everything all right?”

“Give her a moment,” Spitfire instructed sternly. “Just breathe.”

Sunset gave Spitfire a grateful nod, taking in deep lungfuls of air as her heart rate settled back down. Realizing that she had been unconsciously leaning on Flash for support, Sunset blushed and adjusted herself.

Soarin held out a bottle of water, which Sunset politely waved away.

Spitfire tugged on her armband. “So Sunset,” she coughed, “what’s eating you?”

“Flash.” Sunset said, unable to keep the urgency out of her voice. “I need to speak to you. Alone.”

“Uh, sure, but what-“

Now.”

Flash was dragged aside, a pleading look on his face as he looked back at Soarin and Spitfire. Soarin shot him a thumbs up as Sunset pulled him into a storage closet and slammed the door.

After fumbling around for the light switch, Sunset let go of Flash’s arm and exhaled heavily.

“Sorry about this, Flash. There’s…something I need to ask you.”

“Uh, sure.” Confusion was written all over the boy’s face. “But what’s so secret that we need to be in a storeroom to talk about it?”

“You’re in Trixie’s chemistry class, right?” Sunset asked as she fixed her disheveled hair.

“Y-yeah.”

“Do you know that girl who sits next to her in that class?”

Flash thought hard as he tried to recall the details, not an easy feat when most of his attention during chemistry was focused on the teacher. “Um, you’re talking about the new girl, Velvet Wind or something?”

“Velvet Breeze,” corrected Sunset. “Yes, I mean her. Has she, asked you any questions about me?”

“We haven’t even spoken to each other. Why, is this about the Fall Formal? Because nobody here blames you for that anymore. You don’t have to worry about us badmouthing you.”

“No!” Sunset Shimmer aimed a kick at a nearby bucket of brooms in frustration.

“Then what is it? Please, Sunset,” Flash pleaded, “I want to help you, but I can’t unless you tell me the problem!”

Same old Flash Sentry. Sunset thought as she considered the best way to word her response. Always ready to help, even if he doesn’t know how. She almost wished she had recognized how good a guy he had been while they were still together, only rescinding the thought for Twilight’s sake. She’d had her chance and she’d messed up; the sooner Sunset moved on from that the better.

Realizing that Flash was still looking at her expectantly, Sunset cleared her throat. “Okay. Flash, I have reason to believe that Velvet Breeze might come looking for you later and ask you where I live.” She looked Flash dead in the eye and crossed her arms. “You can’t tell her.”

Flash blinked. “Is that it?”

“What do you mean, ‘is that it?’”

The blue haired boy turned his head to the side, keeping his eyes on Sunset. “Sunset Shimmer, I’m not just going to tell people your address just because they ask me,” he said gently. “You don’t think I’m that easy, do you?”

Feeling embarrassed, Sunset shook her head. Of course Flash wasn’t going to just give away her address to any random person.

“Don’t worry, Sunset. We’re friends. We look out for each other, right?”

Sunset smiled, mirroring the one on Flash’s face. “Right.”

A loud growl broke the warm mood of the moment, causing Flash to look around in alarm and Sunset to wrap her arms around her abdomen.

“Sorry.” Sunset felt heat rise up in her face as she straightened back up. “I skipped breakfast. And lunch.”

“You mean you haven’t eaten all day?” Flash looked borderline scandalized. When Sunset shook her head no, he put an arm firmly around her shoulder and marched them both out of the storage closet and toward the cafeteria. “You’re not starving to death on my account. Let’s see if they have any fish and chips left, shall we?”


“You don’t think I’m that easy, do you?”

“We look out for each other.”

“We can face it together, as friends.”

Despite the freezing wind that assailed Sunset every step of the way home, she didn’t feel any of it. Although none of her friends had been able to locate Velvet Breeze after lunch or during classes, Sunset was touched that they had gone and looked without even needing to ask. Flash had even bought her lunch, a gesture which had warmed her heart more than she would have cared to admit.

Bolstered by the warmth of friendship, Sunset Shimmer found herself back at her apartment sooner than she expected. Fishing out the key, she slowed her pace and looked up at the sky with a radiant smile on her face.

It’s good to have friends.


From the top of a roof garden on the opposite side of the road, a pair of orange eyes observed as Sunset Shimmer entered her apartment complex and shut the door.

Partially concealed behind a marble statue of a soaring dragon, Velvet Breeze thoughtfully lowered her hood and pushed aside a few stray strands of hair. Acquiring Sunset’s address had been tougher than she had expected; while the girl called Trixie had suggested that she get it from Flash Sentry, the boy had been uncooperative.

That left only one course of action, which had been to tail Sunset back home via the rooftops. Her back still ached from her mishap on Friday and the bandages on her right arm were beginning to unravel by the time Sunset had arrived at her destination, but she had done it. Memorizing the nearby landmarks and the actual address itself, Velvet now had everything she needed.

Or she would have, were it not for that inspector.

There was something familiar about Mr. Wolfgang, something that rubbed Velvet the wrong way. She had surreptitiously taken photos of the man on her phone during the school day, and now that she knew where Sunset lived, the next order of business was a quick trip back to her place to send the pictures to her Mentor for identification.

Velvet Breeze yanked her hood back over her head and set off at a run, leaving behind a small cloud of dust.

Just you wait, Sunset Shimmer. I’ll be back for you.

PreviousChapters Next