• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 6,466 Views, 808 Comments

Leap of Faith - A bag of plums



After the defeat of the Dazzlings, Sunset Shimmer finds herself at the center of an ancient struggle for power. With the net closing around them, can Sunset and her friends find out the truth before it finds them?

  • ...
29
 808
 6,466

PreviousChapters Next
Calling Council

Sunset Shimmer was awoken by the smell of pancakes cooking.

Hmm… Something smells good… She shifted herself off the bed and pushed her fringe out of her face. Wait, why am I in bed? What time is it?

Velvet Breeze and the rest of the Rainbooms weren’t around, nor did the Assassin have a clock in her room.

Sunset lazily pushed herself to her feet and headed for the door.

Where’d everyone go?

Emerging in the hallway, Sunset began hearing her friend’s voices, but they were too muffled to understand. The smell of pancakes got stronger as Sunset approached the living room, making her legs move faster. She realized that she hadn’t had breakfast yet.

“Any word from the other bureaus yet?” she heard someone ask, their voice echoing down the hallway.

“I told you, Keila, there hasn’t been any answer.” It was Frigid Night’s voice for sure.

“Well… keep trying.”

Pinkie Pie was the first to see Sunset from the table, waving to her with a wide grin on her face. “Hey, Sunset! You sleep well? What am I saying. Of course you did!”

The rest of the Rainbooms were seated around the round wooden table, while Morning Blade, Velvet Breeze and Keila occupied the couches in the middle. Frigid Night was seated on the floor by himself in a corner, still fixated on the laptop, his fingers tapping away on the keys.

The pink haired girl was standing in the small kitchen, tossing a pan of pancakes up into the air without looking.

“Yeah, I had a pretty good sleep,” she managed a smile and scratched her head, watching the pancakes go up and down. “What time is it?”

“Just about time for dinner, Sunset Shimmer,” Morning Blade said from the couch.”We didn’t want to wake you.”

“Dinner?” Had she really slept that long? The whole previous night’s events seemed like a nightmarish blur of blood and frantic chases, and were it not for the fact the she had awoken in the Canterlot bureau and not in her own home, Sunset would have been willing to pass it off as a bad dream.

“Ya bet ya did,” Applejack tipped her hat higher. “Compared to us, ya didn’t even get any sleep, so we decided to leave ya to rest.”

“Pinkie decided to make dinner, seeing as she’s the best cook here,” Fluttershy pointed. “And… ummm… sorry that we didn’t wake you for this, Sunset, but… we went to bury the Mentor’s body out at the back…”

“Wait, what?” Sunset recoiled back a step. “You went to bury her and no one bothered to wake me?”

“You were sound asleep, Sunset,” Rainbow added in to help Fluttershy. “You really needed that sleep.”

“But Mentor Steel Shine… I wanted to be there.”

“We’re sorry, Sunset,” Fluttershy rubbed at her head. “Maybe I-I should’ve woken you…”

Sunset sighed but chose to forget the conversation. What’s done is done. “It’s fine, Fluttershy. You and the Assassins did what you thought was best. It’s my fault for falling asleep during all that.”

“Glad you understand, Sunset Shimmer,” Keila said from the couch. “We couldn’t keep the body like that for too long. We needed to put it in the ground. Rest assured, wherever she is now, she has not forgotten you.”

Sunset nodded. It made sense to do that. Since she couldn’t do anything else, she chose to keep the Mentor’s memories alive with her. I owe you, Mentor Steel Shine. I’ll do what I can for you. I’m sorry I couldn’t help.

“Dinner, Sunset?” Rarity patted her on the shoulder. “You’ll need some food in you as well.”

“Yeah… Pancakes for dinner though?” Sunset asked, pulling up a chair with the rest of her friends. “Is that enough? Are the Assassins okay with that?”

“Of course I’m making more than just pancakes, silly!” Pinkie smiled and pulled out a packet of sausages from her hair. “After everything that’s happened, we need a good meal to keep up our strength.”

As Pinkie began to fry the sausages, Sunset found a seat on a couch and looked around. Frigid was on his laptop, and Keila was polishing one of her knives while Morning seemed content to just recline and rest. Velvet was scrolling down something on her phone. From the looks of it, she was bored.

“Where’s Dewdrop?”

“One of the other bedrooms,” Keila replied, not looking up. “She had a bit too much to drink.”

“Like always,” Frigid grumbled from his spot.

“Just keep calling them.” Keila shot Frigid a look and said nothing further.

“Do you want me to go check on her or anything?” Sunset volunteered. “You know, to see if she’s awake.”

Morning Blade shrugged. “You can if you want, but I’d prefer she come out on her own. Dewdrop can be a grouch when she’s hungover.”

“I heard that,” Dewdrop’s voice came from the hallways. Morning Blade looked away, flustered and pulled at her braid. The blue-haired Assassin had a hand pressed to the side of her head and wore a pained grimace on her face.

“Hey, Dewdrop,” Sunset walked over to help, but the Assassin waved her away. “You alright? Do you need more rest?”

“I’ll be fine…” Dewdrop found a free spot on the couch and flopped down onto it. “Could use a glass of water though. Inside of my mouth tastes like crap.”

“Right, I’ll get it,” Sunset made her way to the kitchen, avoiding Pinkie as she slid over from the stove to the oven, placing a tray of rolls in it. “Pinkie, where did you get all that food?”

“I had it with me,” the girl answered happily, returning to the stove to toss more pancakes.

“Oh.” Sunset grabbed one of the cups on the counter and filled it with tap water before returning to Dewdrop, handing her the glass.

“Thanks, kid.”

Sunset squirmed slightly. The events of last night had just finished rearranging themselves in her head, including the phone call from Mirror Match. Sunset dug the tip of her boot into the floor, unsure of what to say.

“Umm… Dewdrop. I, uh… I just received a phone call. It was from… uh, well… It was from Mirror Match.”

That name seemed to catch the lieutenant’s attention. “Mirror Match? You saw her? Where?”

“That’s not the important question right now, Frigid,” Keila interrupted him. “Continue, Sunset Shimmer. What did she want?”

Frigid frowned, but shook his head and returned his attention to the laptop.

“Wait. None of you are surprised she got my number?”

“Not really,” Dewdrop drank some of her water. “She can do things we can’t explain. Anyway, what did she want from you? Why did she call?”

“She told me about Sombra,” Sunset began. “He’s alive, but he might be changing his plans. She said he wasn’t angry that I got away and that he’s lost interest in me for some reason.”

“I told Sunset that it could be a trap,” Velvet spoke up. “But if it’s not, then we’re in trouble. No one but the Mentor could stop him.”

“And…” Sunset continued. “She had a message for you, Dewdrop.”

“Oh?” the blue haired Assassin pointed to herself. “Me? What does she want? To tell me to go jump off a cliff?”

“She said she’d already spared your life twice, and that there won’t be a third,” Sunset finished with a swallow.

The room was quiet for a few seconds as everyone contemplated on the information they’d just received.

Dewdrop was the first to break the silence. “Well, whatever. I’ll just have to make sure she stays down next time.”

“This is indeed troubling news,” Frigid muttered. “But I find the notion of Sombra merely losing interest in you hard to believe, but… we can trust her.”

“Here we go again…” Morning Blade mumbled to herself before turning away, covering an ear.

“Trust her?” Keila stood up and glared at the lieutenant. “She’s a Templar. She betrayed the Brotherhood and still you put your trust in her? What is wrong with you, Frigid Night?”

“Is there any reason for her to lie? She could have used Sunset’s phone to track us down, but she didn’t.”

“How do you know she hasn’t? For all we know, the Templars could already be on their way.”

“I know Mirror Match. She would never do something like that,” Frigid replied adamantly. For once, Sunset thought she heard a hint of emotion in his voice.

“You think you know her, Frigid,” Keila quickly shot back. “You think just because you two were together that you know everything she does and doesn’t do, but you’re wrong. You don’t. She’s not the woman you think you know. She’s played you, Frigid, and still you don’t see it! Are you that dense to understand that?”

“Okay, can you both shut the hell up?” Dewdrop snapped. “You’re making my headache worse, the two of you.”

“Just in case, we should be on alert,” Keila said. “If the Templars do show up, you’ll be to blame, Frigid.”

Frigid sighed and got back to work. “Fine. Do as you wish.”

Sunset, who had been standing there the whole time, continued to stare dumbfoundedly at the Assassins. She had no idea what was going on, but there were definitely mixed reactions towards Mirror Match here.

Keila turned and headed toward the rooms. “If High Noon were still here, he’d agree with me.” Then she disappeared around the corner.

Frigid sighed even louder and pulled his hood lower over his head. Dewdrop also became a little downcast at the mention of the cowboy’s name. There was another moment of silence.

“Sooooo…” Pinkie said eventually. “Who wants some pancakes and sausages?”


Sunset and the rest of the Rainbooms ate their food quietly, all of them seated at the table, while the Assassins spread out across the bureau to have their dinner, with the exception of Velvet.

“I don’t know how you brought this much food, Pinkie,” Velvet said as she stuffed another pancake in her mouth. “But I’m glad you did. This is great. I didn’t know you could cook.”

“I can do a lot more than just cook!” Pinkie said, lightly spraying the table with pancake crumbs. “I can plan parties, I can roller skate, I can also play airsoft-”

“Please keep your mouth shut when eating, darling,” Rarity pulled her bubbly friend back down into her seat.

“So… girls.” Applejack picked up the plate of sausages and passed it around. “Do ya think we can head on home? Ah mean, if that Sombra’s stopped comin’ after you, Sunset. Our families must be worried about us by now.”

“I guess so,” Sunset sighed. “If he’s no longer after me, then it should be safe for you girls too.”

“That’s good,” Fluttershy gave a small smile. “I messaged my brother to let my parents know where I was, but, I kind of miss them. It’s been a while since I was home.”

“Likewise,” Rarity added. “If I don’t come home soon, I fear I’ll be in for a grounding.”

“I guess we can’t expect you girls to stay here till it’s all over,” Velvet agreed. “So when do you plan to leave?”

“We should get going before dark,” Rainbow checked the time on her phone. “Plus, my phone’s almost dead. Haven’t charged it since yesterday back at AJ’s.”

“Another night not in my bed will surely worry my parents…” Fluttershy nodded in agreement.

“What about you, Sunset?” Pinkie asked as she reached for a bottle of maple syrup she had apparently been carrying in her backpack as well. “Will you be heading home too? Your family isn’t here, so you don’t have limitations like us!”

“I was actually thinking of staying here,” Sunset began, looking to Morning Blade, who was having her meal at the couch area. “To, you know, help them out.”

“We were going to ask you to stay anyway,” Dewdrop said from her spot on the floor. The blue-haired Assassin was holding a bag of ice to her head and gave them a half-smile, half-grimace. “We don’t know that the Templars aren’t still after you, so it’s not safe for you to be walking the streets alone.”

“But my friends are free to leave, right?”

“Yeah, well, if the Templars snatch one of them up, then we’ll know we screwed up. You’re the one who the Templars had photos of, so you can bet we’re not letting you out of our sight.”

“Remember, girls,” Sunset turned back to her friends. “If you do see anything suspicious, do call me and let me know. I’m not letting any of you get hurt.”

“Aye aye, captain!” Pinkie puffed out her chest and saluted. “Any sign of Templars, we are to report straight to you, sir! I mean, ma’am!”

“This isn’t a game, Pinkie,” Sunset reprimanded softly. “I really couldn’t take it if any of you got hurt because of me.”

“I know!” the pink haired girl smiled happily and chomped down on another pancake.

“Don’t you worry, Sunset,” Rainbow Dash said confidently. “We’ll make sure to notify you if we go anywhere. I’d probably be spending a few days with my family, seeing as I’ve been away for a while now.”

“Same here,” Fluttershy nodded.

“I suppose I shall do that too,” Rarity joined in. “I had better make sure the boutique’s still standing and whether Sweetie’s been trying anything new in there.”

“That’s good,” Velvet agreed reluctantly. “We Assassins have no right to hold you here while your families worry about you. You should go home. Be with them.”

Sunset could have sworn she heard Velvet’s voice waver, but dismissed it for the time being.

“In the meantime, we still have to figure out what the Templars needed you for, Sunset. I’m sure it isn’t just because you’re competition to their Grandmaster. There must be more to it. Something we’re missing.”

“Well, what are the Templars’ plans exactly?” Sunset asked. “Maybe we can start from there.”

“Well,” Dewdrop said, pulling out the bottle of whiskey and taking a swig. “That’s what Acting Mentor Frigid’s job is. Mine is just to stab people.”

“And that’s what I’ve managed to do,” the gray haired Assassin said as he emerged from around the corridor, the laptop in one hand. “I’ve got it.”

“You have?” Dewdrop looked up at him with an amused face. “Really?”

“Yes, of course.” Frigid walked over and placed the laptop on the table, tilting the screen back a little. “I won’t bore you of the details, but I simply matched the right keywords and symbols together, and here we are.”

The girls crowded around the screen, looking at what the lieutenant had fished up. There were orders of blueprints, texts, materials, and even soldiers. If Sunset didn’t know any better, she’d say the Templars were trying to build something.

“So, uh, what does it all mean?” Applejack voiced.

“These are details of something they’re making,” Frigid began his explanation, pointing his finger at various different texts and notes. “They’ve called it the ‘auditorium’.

“Unfortunately, not all the information about this auditorium was on the papers we got. It speaks about the plans to create it, but not what the Templars intend to use it for, or where it even is. It could be a weapon, like their Eye all those years back.”

“We could disrupt their shipments,” Morning suggested. “Slow down their construction until we can figure out what they want it for.”

“Good plan,” Keila said, appearing from around the corner, placing her empty plate on the table. “Any names? I’m sure the plans must name some important Templars. Unless your skills weren’t enough to find any?”

Frigid rolled his eyes and grumbled something to himself. “Yes. I found some. The first one’s a Templar I’ve encountered on a few contracts. His name is Talon, an ex-military member of the inner circle, leader of the infamous Dragon Unit. Ring any bells, Keila?”

“I’ve heard of him, yes,” Keila looked unamused. “What about him, Frigid? I don’t care if you’ve fought him before. I’m more interested in what he’s doing.”

“Well, the papers here say he’s in charge of overseeing the shipment of materials. Metals, cement, you name it.”

“That sounds big,” Morning Blade said. By now, she and Dewdrop had joined everyone else by the table, looking at the computer screen. “To put Talon in charge of all that? It must be pretty important.”

“So where is this going down?” Dewdrop asked, placing a hand over one side of her face, still sore from her hangover. “Manehattan? When they were still making the Eye, they were shipping things all over the city.”

“I already said I don’t know where they’re planning to ship it. Cobalt’s plans were incomplete; I would guess that he only got the plans that pertained to him. The rest of it might be on the hard drive, but I need to spend some time cracking it. In the meantime, we’re going to do something about Talon and the Templars’ resources.”

“Dewdrop and I will go,” Keila tapped one of her knife sheaths. “We’ll finish what you never could, Frigid. We’ll take Talon down.”

“We’ll need to plan this out first, Keila,” Frigid ignored the insult and continued. “We’ll need to figure out the route he takes and the amount of men he brings along. Only then can we move in for the kill. Besides, I’ve already decided who to send.”

PreviousChapters Next