• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 6,471 Views, 808 Comments

Leap of Faith - A bag of plums



After the defeat of the Dazzlings, Sunset Shimmer finds herself at the center of an ancient struggle for power. With the net closing around them, can Sunset and her friends find out the truth before it finds them?

  • ...
29
 808
 6,471

PreviousChapters Next
A Second Chance

“...And that’s how my friends and I saved the world from the sirens,” Sunset concluded.

“Wow…” Velvet Breeze uttered as Sunset Shimmer finished her tale. “So there’s another world out there? And you’re really from this… uh, Equestria?”

Applejack nodded. “Eeyup. It’s probably a lot to take in, but it’s all true.”

“And you thought me being an Assassin was strange…” Velvet chuckled, rubbing her upper arm. “I mean, I knew there were weird things out there before, but a whole other world is just… wow.”

“Ya seem to be takin’ this pretty well,” Applejack leaned back in her seat and raised an eyebrow.

“Well…” Velvet looked to the ceiling. “I did meet a vampire when I was younger.”

“A vampire?” Applejack goggled at Velvet. “For real?”

“Seems we all have our unbelievable stories to tell,” Sunset let out a small laugh, followed shortly by the other two girls.

“Yup,” Velvet nodded, placing her empty plate on her lap. “So this Princess Twilight that’s been helping you, she doesn’t come here often?”

“Hold up, about the vampire…” Applejack mumbled, but she was ignored.

“She’s a princess after all,” Sunset raised a palm out. “She has duties back in Equestria. I can’t thank her more for coming here to help me, even when she has so much work to do back home.”

“Sounds like she’s a great friend to have,” Velvet nodded and looked down at her hands, sadly. “I wish I had good friends like that…”

“We’re your friends, Velvet,” Applejack clapped her on the shoulder.

“But all I’ve done is lie to you since the first day,” the young Assassin pointed out, looking at both girls.

“Everyone deserves a second chance, Velvet,” Sunset grinned. “I of all people should know that.”

“In fact…” Applejack placed both feet on the ground and leaned forward, pulling out her phone from her skirt pocket. “How ‘bout Ah get the others over? We can get a real introduction all sorted out for ya.”

The injured girl’s eyes widened. “Umm… I don’t know if that’s a good idea...”

“Why not?”

“You know…” Velvet rubbed her hands together anxiously. “You… weren’t supposed to know any of this. The fewer people the better, right?” The blue-skinned girl let out a short laugh.

“Velvet,” Sunset looked into the girl’s orange eyes. “Trust us. We’re your friends.”

The teal-grey haired girl looked hesitant, but finally relinquished, nodding in agreement with them. Applejack gave her a reassuring smile and left the room, holding the phone to her ear, leaving Velvet with Sunset.

“So… an Assassin, huh?”

“Uh huh…” Velvet looked down at the bed. “Do you think… umm… I could have my blade back?”

“Your blade? Oh, yeah,” Sunset said with realization. She opened the cabinet next to Velvet’s bed and drew out a compact metal device with four straps attached. “Is this one of those assassin tools?”

“Thanks… And, yes. All Assassins have these.” Velvet took the blade, but left it by her side, feeling safer that at least her weapon was close by. “Sometimes more than one. Mine’s pretty basic, seeing as I’m just a novice.”

Sunset sat beside Velvet on the bed. “You know, when you first came to CHS, I thought that you had some kind of problem with me,” she said. “You kept giving me these glares whenever we met.”

“Oh, right…” Velvet let out a nervous chuckle. “You don’t know… that’s something we Assassins call eagle vision. How do I explain this…” she tapped a finger on her chin thoughtfully. “It’s like I can mark out certain people in a crowd and keep track of where they are.”

“Oh?” Sunset widened her eyes, interested. “That sounds awfully useful.”

“It is,” Velvet shrugged. “Sorry if you took it the wrong way; I just wanted to make sure I could tell where you were at all times.”

“It’s all fine now, Velvet,” Sunset waved a hand. “You were doing what you were told. Tell me… How did you become an Assassin?”

“I’d… rather not talk about it.” Velvet said, looking down, her mouth set in a firm line.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Velvet, if I brought up bad memories. Umm…” Sunset looked around, thinking of what to say. “How about we talk about the other side? The Templars? What do you know about them?”

“Not as much as I’d like to,” Velvet said, fiddling with one of the straps to her hidden blade. “I haven’t been allowed to participate in Assassin affairs until I graduate beyond novice rank. But now I know that at least one of them is on the Board of Education; I suspect that’s how Wolfgang got into CHS so easily.”

“And you have no idea why they’re after me?”

“Sorry, Sunset,” Velvet slumped back onto her pillow. “I don’t have much to go on there either. I mean, I snuck into Wolfgang’s office once to see if I could find anything, but whoever he got his orders from was keeping all the details out of print.”

“Oh,” Sunset said. “Well, at least you tried, right?”

“But that’s not good enough, Sunset. We still haven’t figured out why they want you. How can I help when I don’t even know what I’m helping for?”

“You’ve helped plenty of times, Velvet,” Sunset put a hand on the Assassin’s shoulder. “You’ve protected me from Mr. Wolfgang on multiple occasions. That counts.”

“Well, uh,” Velvet’s voice became suddenly very small. “I did almost kill you once.”

Sunset tilted her head, not understanding. “Do you mean that time you tried to give me my pen back?”

“Not quite…”

“What?” Sunset mumbled. She couldn’t recall any other time that the girl in the white hoodie had tried to kill her. “When?”

“I’m talking about the fire at Canterlot High,” Sunset’s eye went wide. “I set it.”

“That was you?” Sunset leaned back, almost unable to believe it. “Why? What would a fire help you accomplish?”

“I needed a distraction. It wasn’t a big fire. I just needed to make sure there was enough smoke to chase everyone out,” Velvet explained miserably, unwilling to look at Sunset. “That was the day I snuck into Wolfgang’s office to see what I could find. I’m sorry. My job was to protect you, but… I almost killed you.”

Sunset’s mouth was still open from shock. “Do you have any idea how much danger you put everyone in? Let alone me?”

“I know, I know!” Velvet looked down over the bedside. “I’m so sorry, Sunset. I didn’t plan it out too well. I’m sorry… I messed up. I didn’t expect anyone to still be inside...”

Sunset was still busy contemplating how the other girl could do such a thing. Did she not expect her actions to hurt someone? Was that how all Assassins operated? Sunset just didn’t want to believe they could be so cold.

“I’m sorry…” Velvet said again.

Just then, Applejack returned, pocketing her phone as she walked in. “Good news. The others are all on their way. Uh, did somethin’ happen?”

Velvet was about to explain the fire again, but Sunset quickly cut in. “It was nothing. Velvet was just telling me more about the Assassins. It’s a lot to take in.”

“Ah’ll bet,” Applejack whistled and returned to her seat. “Must be mighty odd, bein’ an Assassin. Ah mean, your job is to kill people. That can’t be easy or healthy for a person.”

“Remember, she hasn’t killed anyone yet,” Sunset told her friend.

Applejack wasn’t convinced. “But still… It’s her job. Doesn’t matter if she’s gone and done it or not, it’s still somethin’ she’s gotta do. That’s what scares me. No offense, Velvet.”

“It’s not all about killing,” Velvet pointed out. “Assassins do more than just kill Templars. We spy and sabotage and infiltrate places too. It’s all part of keeping the world safe.”

“But aren’t you conscious about breakin’ the law and all that?”

“We Assassins have a saying: ‘Nothing is true, everything is permitted’,” Velvet said. “It’s like our Creed.”

“Creed?” Sunset asked. “What’s that?”

“‘S like a motto, Ah think,” Applejack put a finger to her chin. “Like what them fancy schools have.”

Sunset waited for Velvet to elaborate.

Velvet looked back to her before starting. “We Assassins aren’t lawless like you might think, Sunset Shimmer. We have rules. We don’t just go out there and kill as we like. Those are people like Wolfgang.

“The Assassin’s Creed means that we have to take responsibility for what we do, whether it’s a good or bad outcome. Having the freedom to kill, is also the freedom not to kill, if that makes any sense. It’s what keeps the Assassins on track. Or so I’ve been told,” she finished.

Sunset folded her arms and leaned back, looking to the floor. She didn’t know how else to speak sense to Velvet, nor did she think the blue-skinned girl was going to be convinced that being an Assassin wasn’t such a good thing.

“So… this group of people. How long have they been around? How long have you been a part of this secret order?”

Velvet Breeze scratched at her head and swallowed. “Well, you see… I haven’t learnt up much history about the Assassins. This is only my second year serving with them. Truthfully, I-I didn’t see a point in learning up their past. These are questions you should be asking the Assassin Mentor.”

“Mentor?”

“The Assassin leader,” Velvet explained. “Every bureau… uh, headquarters, has one. The one back in Trottingham, she’s the mentor of Mentors. She knows best.”

Sunset sighed. “Knows best, huh…” Somehow she doubted it, but kept her face carefully neutral.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t answer all your questions,” Velvet replied, playing with the straps of her hidden weapon. “I’m not as seasoned as the others. I’m still a novice after all.”

A doorbell sounded from downstairs, catching the three girls’ attention. It was followed shortly by a voice they knew well, echoing throughout the large house.

“Applejaaaaack! We’re heeeeere! It’s party time!”

Applejack stood up and pulled her coat tighter around herself. “Well… Ah guess Ah’ll get them in. Time for ya to make some good friendships, Velvet Breeze.”


The north side of Manehattan Central Hospital was more quiet than the usual day. It could’ve been because of the recent death of a elderly man, whom the hardworking doctors had desperately tried to save, or it could’ve just been the fact that all the other patients had been moved to the other wings, except for one man who now lay under a single fan in the room, unable to move from the pain and broken bones, but also from the casts and bandages wrapped around his entire body.

Wolfgang lay in his bed, unmoving, eyes closed. Through the work of Citrus Drops, Wolfgang had been moved back to Manehattan, just in case the Assassins were to look for him. In their current state, they wouldn’t dare attack the Templars in their home turf.

A sound, something like a spark of electricity, came from outside, startling the bedridden Templar’s eyes open. Wolfgang groggily moved his eyes around, unable to open them wide enough to get a proper look. The white door to his left was pushed open as a few figures walked in.

Wolfgang was unable to turn his head to look at them as they stood beside his bed. They were just out of reach from his eyes.

There was a disappointed cluck before a familiar voice spoke. “What a situation you’ve gotten yourself in, Wolfey. And to think you were good at this.”

“He’s in no position to answer you, Mirror Match,” Mahogany Wood spoke.

“Exactly why I said it, sir.”

“Did Citrus say anything? Does she know who did this to him? Would you know who did this to him?”

“Not without examining his wounds, which, as much as I might want to, could kill him, given the amount of blood he lost.” Mirror said with a shrug. “Nothing much I can do now, sir.”

“Hmm… How unfortunate. So there is nothing we can do, but to wait till he recovers. Is that what you’re saying?”

“Yes, sir.” The Templar agent adjusted her motorcycle helmet and little clicks came from inside, as if an invisible hand was cracking its knuckles within.

Wolfgang returned his eyes to the front, unable to do anything to look at the others talking about him. He really hated it when Mirror Match called him ‘Wolfey’. He hated it when anyone called him that.

“Whatever the case, I believe he’s been away too long,” Mahogany said flatly. “Wouldn’t you agree, Crescent?”

“Yes, chairman,” the bodyguard replied.

Chairman Mahogany Wood turned away to look out the expansive window, with Crescent Wing following him. Mirror Match shrugged and pocketed a piece of cheese from Wolfgang’s leftover dinner, her hand going back to her side just as the doors swung open again.

Except this time, there was no one standing in the open doorway. Instead a vast, dark mass of shadow filled the entire hallway, roiling and churning like a thunderstorm in the enclosed space. And at the heart of the darkness, was a small golden sphere, about the size of a softball and covered in bright markings. Immediately, Mahogany Wood, Crescent Wing, and Mirror Match dropped onto one knee and knelt before the darkness.

The orb, held aloft by a tendril of shadow, began to emit tendrils of light, each gossamer thread spiralling out from the surface of the sphere and diving into Wolfgang’s skull.

First, Wolfgang experienced a small tingle in his head, like something was zapping the corner of his skull, trying to get inside it. Then it increased in intensity, going right through his skull to his brain. He shut his eyes, trying to endure the searing pain. It reached a point where he had tuned everything else out, crying internally as it radiated in his head.

Then it was over. Just like that.

Mahogany Wood and Crescent Wing stood and returned to the killer’s bedside, observing him. Finally, the chairman plucked up the courage to speak.

“Is… is it done, Grand Master?”

Wolfgang lay back in his bed, breathing the deep breath of sleep.

The darkness, which had diminished with the orb’s display of light, flooded back in full force.

Yes. It is done.” The voice was a grim growl, easily dominating the entire room with no effort. With that said, the darkness swirled out of the room, dissipating out of the swinging doors.

“I’m glad that’s over with,” Mirror Match patted at her helmet’s visor. “So what now, chairman?”

Mahogany rubbed at his chin. “We now know the Assassins have people in Canterlot. We can only assume they know of our plans with the Sunset Shimmer girl.”

“Maybe not,” Mirror Match waved a hand casually. “Wolfey here might’ve been stupid enough to reveal himself and the Assassins moved to take him down. There’s still a possibility that they have no idea what’s really going on.”

“I’d rather not take our chances,” Mahogany narrowed his eyes. “We should take necessary precautions. As of now, we don’t know what’s going on there. Crescent, I need people in Canterlot. I want to know exactly what happened to Wolfgang.”

“I’ll see what I can do, chairman,” the orange haired man bowed. He lifted a phone from his coat pocket and put it to his ear as he walked out of the room, leaving Mahogany with Mirror Match and a bedridden Wolfgang.

“Mirror Match,” the chairman turned to her. “How much do the Assassins still trust you?”

Mirror scraped at her helmet with a finger and chuckled. “What makes you think they still trust me? It’s been so long since I left them, and believe me, it wasn’t on good terms.”

“Well, you were one of their own. Do none of them still think that way?”

“Chairman, I’m responsible for killing at least four from the Trottingham bureau. I don’t think I’m in any of their good graces. That being said,” Mirror stretched an arm out and examined the back of her gloved hand. “I’m still quite good at the whole spying game, and I don’t need to talk to Assassins to get results. You know that to be true.”

Mahogany smirked and returned to the window. “Yes, I do. You’ve a simple task. I want to know how much of our plans they know, and if possible… I want them thrown off track.”

Mirror threw the chairman a mock salute. “Aye, aye, sir.”

Crescent Wing returned from the hallway, giving the chairman an affirmative nod as he stowed his phone.

“Excellent,” Mahogany walked for the door. “As for Wolfgang, I suppose he’ll have to stay here until he recovers. I’ll make sure to post security close by, just in case. Mirror Match, I want you in Trottingham tonight. We can’t waste any time.”

Mirror Match nodded and left the room, the keys to her bike already spinning around one finger.

Mahogany waited until the woman’s footsteps had faded into nothing before speaking again.

“We should get moving too, Crescent. Time and tide wait for no man, and we’ve lots to do for our Grand Master.”


PreviousChapters Next