• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 6,466 Views, 808 Comments

Leap of Faith - A bag of plums



After the defeat of the Dazzlings, Sunset Shimmer finds herself at the center of an ancient struggle for power. With the net closing around them, can Sunset and her friends find out the truth before it finds them?

  • ...
29
 808
 6,466

PreviousChapters Next
Answers and Fruit

It was late in the afternoon when Velvet Breeze stirred again. The blue-skinned girl cracked open her eyes, beholding once again the same room, with one major difference: Sunset Shimmer was now seated in a previously empty corner, arms folded over her chest and eyes closed.

“S-Sun...Set…” Velvet’s throat was dry, unable to get the words out clearly.

Sunset’s eyes shot open immediately, springing out of her chair and hurrying to the bedside.

“Velvet!” she exclaimed. “You’re awake!”

Velvet nodded dumbly, gratefully accepting the glass of water that was held to her lips. She wasted no time in gulping down its contents. “T-Thanks…”

Sunset waited patiently until Velvet’s glass was empty before answering the inevitable “Where am I?”.

“You’re at Sweet Apple Acres,” Sunset explained. At Velvet’s questioning glance, she reiterated, “Applejack’s place. It was the closest.”

“Sweet Apple Acres,” Velvet repeated. She tried to get up, but couldn’t find the strength to do so. “How long have I been asleep?”

She looked around from her position, taking in her surroundings in better detail than before.

“Almost a full day. You must be hungry,” Sunset said after a moment. “Wait right here, I’ll get you something.”

Sunset ducked out of the room, returning a suspiciously short amount of time later with Applejack in tow, both of them carrying a tray of fruit. Velvet’s mouth began to salivate at the sight of the bright mangoes on the two trays, but kept it in check. She also wondered why they had bothered to bring in two trays instead of just one.

“Are… Are all those for me?” she eventually asked, watching them sit beside her bed. Using her arms, Velvet pushed herself up against the backboard of the bed. That small effort itself formed a few droplets of sweat on her forehead.

“Uh huh,” Applejack nodded and smiled. “Y’all eat your fill now, Velvet.”

Velvet reached out her hand and was about to take a mango from a tray, when she looked up.

“Is, uh, something wrong?” she observed their faces.

Sunset stopped holding her breath. “No! Nothing’s wrong. Nothing. Just eat.”

Velvet shrugged and took a mango from the purple tray, completely missing the relieved sighs that escaped Sunset and Applejack’s mouths. Peeling the fruit with practiced ease, Velvet quickly devoured the juicy flesh within, leaving only the skin and seeds.

“Umm… sorry about the sheets,” she said, putting one hand to her dripping mouth and another to halfheartedly catch the droplets of mango juice that shivered on her chin. “Do you have… um, something I could use?”

Applejack headed out for a second before returning with a strangely purple colored plate. “Here ya are.”

“Thanks,” Velvet nodded and took it, keeping it under her mouth why she picked out another mango. She tore into it like it was the last fruit in the world, but slowed down when she noticed the two girls watching her intently. “Umm… Am I disturbing you with my eating?”

Sunset and Applejack instantly broke their stare, suddenly becoming very interested in opposite corners of the ceiling and whistling off-tune.

“Uh huh,” Velvet muttered and bit into her mango again. “Sooo… Are you just going to sit there and watch me eat?”

“Actually, we have a couple of questions,” Sunset ventured.

Velvet sighed. “Yeah, I figured as much. Couldn’t keep it a secret forever…”

Applejack and Sunset traded looks. “Velvet, I hope you don’t mind us asking. What are you, really? Who are you?”

Velvet squirmed uncomfortably in her bed, seeming to wilt. She rubbed at a bandaged arm unconsciously. “Well, my name is Velvet Breeze. Umm… and I’m a transfer student?”

Sunset sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose. “Please just tell us the truth, Velvet.”

“I am!” Velvet insisted. “That’s just not… all that I am.”

“Go on,” Sunset beckoned.

“Hmm… How do I put this,” Velvet fidgeted with her bandaged right arm.”I’m also an Assassin.”

There was a pregnant pause.

“An… assassin,” Applejack said flatly.

Velvet nodded morosely.

“O-kay,” Sunset said warily, moving herself an inch away from Velvet’s bed. “So if you’re an assassin, does that mean you’ve... k-killed people?”

“Only one person,” Velvet said, her shoulders slumped. “And he was trying to kill you at the time, so I’m not sorry.”

“Trying to kill me…?” Sunset thought back to her traumatic experience at the construction site. “Mr. Wolfgang?” She exchanged looks with Applejack.

“Now, I know you don’t agree with the way I operate, but… it had to be done, Sunset. I couldn’t let him hurt you.”

“Uh, Ah hate to break it to ya, Velvet, but…”

“Mr. Wolfgang’s not dead,” Sunset finished. “His body wasn’t at the construction site.”

Velvet swore under her breath. “Damn it! So Wolfgang’s still out there,” she struggled to get one leg onto the floor. “I need to get him before-”

“Woah there, sugarcube,” Applejack held Velvet back, her strong arms easily keeping Velvet in bed. “You’re not goin’ anywhere all cut up like that. Do ya know how long Granny and Fluttershy worked to keep ya stable?”

“But-But… I have to…” Velvet was lost for words. “You’re all not safe if that man is still out there!”

“Velvet,” Sunset stood up. “I’m sorry, but even in this state, what do you hope to do against him?”

Velvet leaned back against her pillows, shoulders slumped in resignation. “You’re right. B-But what if Wolfgang comes back?”

Applejack chuckled humorlessly. “‘Way Rarity put it, you got him real good. Don’t think Wolfgang’s in any shape to do anything soon either.”

“Rarity? How did she know? Did she see him?”

“Saw the crater where he landed. We all did.” Sunset uncrossed her arms and patted Velvet’s leg comfortingly. “See, you haven’t killed anyone after all.”

“But that might very well come back to bite us,” the wounded girl complained, reaching for another mango. “You saw what he was capable of. He’s a dangerous man! He’s nothing like what you believed him to be.”

“Actually, that was another question on my mind. Why was he trying to kidnap me? I have a feeling you know who he is. And… why he was in our school.”

“Ah, well,” Velvet chewed on a mouthful of fruit thoughtfully. “That’s kind of a long story.”

Applejack pointed at Velvet’s bandages, then the snow that was piling up outside the window. “We’re not goin’ anywhere, and neither are you,” she pointed out.

“I don’t know if you’ll believe me,” Velvet sighed and wiped her mouth. “He’s… well, umm, he’s what we call a Templar.”

“A… Templar…?” Applejack confirmed, receiving a nod from the bedridden girl. “What in the hay is a Templar?”

“They’re a group of people who work in secret to try and take over the world,” Velvet said matter-of-factly. “The Assassins have been fighting them for generations.”

Sunset sat back down and put a hand to her head. “Wow… For real? And… You’ve been fighting them yourself? That’s why you’re here in Canterlot?”

“Something like that…” her eyes darted around, refusing to meet Sunset’s. Only after a long pause and the stare the fiery haired girl was giving her, did Velvet relent and explain. “We received information that the Templars were after you for some reason and I got sent here to watch you.”

“Woah,” Applejack said then added, “Wait a minute, they sent you? Just you?”

“I was the only one young enough to infil- to join your school and blend in. I’m sorry that I lied to you.”

There was another moment of silence.

“So let me get this straight,” Sunset said after a long think. “Velvet, you’re an assassin who is part of a larger secret group of other assassins who got sent to CHS because another secret group called the Templars, who want to control the world, are after me because of some unknown reason?”

Velvet pushed her fingers together and blushed. “...yes?”

“That,” Sunset said. “May well be the most far fetched and unbelievable thing I’ve ever heard.”

Velvet held up her hand. “Now, wait a minute-”

“...And that’s exactly why I believe you.” Sunset finished.

Both Applejack and Velvet blinked at the same time.

“Huh?”

“Two reasons. One: I don’t think you would construct an entire outrageous background history just to lie to me. Right?”

Velvet shook her head, still looking confused.

“And two: you did save my life back at the construction site. I can’t think of any reason not to trust you after that, Velvet.”

“Oh, well…” Velvet pulled at her hair. “I couldn’t let him hurt you, Sunset. Orders and all that.”

“I owe you, Velvet,” Sunset gave her a small smile. “But I still need answers. Although,” she added ironically. “It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been caught up in a plot to take over the world.”

“Wait, what?” Now it was Velvet’s turn to look puzzled. “What do you mean, not the first time?”

“It’s a long story,” Applejack chuckled.

Velvet smiled as Sunset took a deep breath and said, “It all began about a couple months ago, around the Fall Formal…”


The lobby of the Trottingham bureau was cold and quiet, taking in the chill air that the winter weather was giving them this night. Nothing but the sound of the the wind outside and the soft tap of a finger against a screen could be heard.

Frigid Night dialed the number for a fifth time and waited as the ringing continued and continued, eventually ending with an answering machine. The Assassin cursed and hung up.

“Still no luck?!” he muttered to himself.

Frigid Night had assigned himself guard duty, keeping a close watch of the bureau’s entrance all by himself. Usually, Assassins did their duty in pairs, but Frigid had insisted on being alone, refusing Morning Blade’s help three times. His partner had nodded sadly and returned to her room while Frigid had made his way downstairs.

For now, he sat on the side bench, his eyes never leaving the entrance. He had tried to call Velvet Breeze, to ask where she was. For the past day till now, the novice hadn’t called back to report anything, troubling more than just Frigid Night.

The clatter of something metallic on the lobby’s tiled floor attracted Frigid’s attention for a second. He returned his focus to the front door after finding out it was just his old friend. High Noon bent down and picked up his can of root beer.

“Sorry, my bad,” he said. “I’ll, uh, I’ll clean that up later.”

“What are you doing here, Noon?” Frigid asked, keeping his eyes on watch.

“Well… uh, I was actually heading out to look for the Novice, and… well, Dewdrop. I’m worried about her. She hasn’t responded in days. I should’ve been more careful. I let her go, Frigid. Now…”

Frigid sighed. If he didn’t tell him, he was probably going to figure it out later anyway. At least he wasn’t Keila.

“Noon, I met with Mirror the other day.” The look on the cowboy’s face turned into one of shock. “Dewdrop’s safe. She’s in a hospital in Chicoltgo.”

“Well, I should go get her!” High Noon began to proceed out when Frigid shot a hand in front of him and pushed him back.

“No, Noon,” Frigid said sternly. “We’re low on numbers, you know that. Dewdrop is fine. She’ll return once she heals up, but I need you here in case we have to get something done.”

“B-But Dewdrop!” the cowboy stammered. “I can’t just leave her there.”

“And there we have it again,” another voice said from the shadows. Frigid grumbled internally as Keila stepped out to join them, folding her arms. “You’re saying you’re not going to do anything. That’s why you need him here. That’s why you need a child out there to do your work for you!”

“If you haven’t realized, Keila, I did take down Cobalt, and I’m busy coordinating things from here,” he said without looking at her. “What about you, huh? What have you done in the last two years?”

Keila rolled her eyes. “Oooh, look at me,” she said in a sing-song voice. “I’m the Mentor’s lieutenant, that means I get to belittle anyone I don’t like, even though I was just given the post because there was nobody else skilled enough for the job. I’ve done plenty,” she continued in her normal voice. “So sorry that you’re not observant enough to notice.”

“Yeah?” Frigid challenged. “It’s my job to keep track of all our missions. You haven’t left the bureau since we came back from Saddle Arabia. High Noon’s been out more than you. So, what have you done, Keila? Snooping around the bureau as usual?”

Keila growled. “I could ask you the same thing. Been meeting with that traitor again? How and why the Mentor keeps letting you get away with it is beyond me.”

Frigid was about to raise the question of how she knew, but he could only blame himself for that. Keila had probably been standing in the dark of the lobby, just waiting for him to mess up, and he had. High Noon shrugged and backed up a step. “She’s provided me some good information, if you didn’t know. Now I know where Dewdrop is. She’s safe.”

“Not if we leave her there, she’s not!” Noon protested, but Frigid simply raised a hand for him to stop. The cowboy looked down, but did so.

“What’s that say about us Assassins if we have to rely on the enemy’s intelligence instead of our own?” Keila sighed and dropped her bandaged arms to her sides. “Fine. What’s Mirror Match got to say about Velvet?”

“I haven’t met her since that night,” Frigid admitted, lowering his voice a fraction. “I’m still trying to get Velvet on the line, but she’s not picking up.”

Keila’s eyes narrowed. “Still think that sending her out on her own was a good idea?”

Frigid wanted to argue his point, but her words carried shreds of truth and logic to it. Even he couldn’t refute them. “No. I guess not...”

“So let me go look for her!” High Noon spoke again, one hand nervously playing with his coil of rope at his side. “Then I can just swing by and pick Dewdrop up on the way back! Easy. Please, Frigid.”

“Give her another day or two,” Frigid persuaded, though a fragment of his conscious agreed with his friend. “This is meant to be Velvet’s mission, and if she needs to go radio silent for a few days, we have to trust her.”

“There’s a fine line between trust and overconfidence, Frigid Night,” Keila said frostily. “But fine. We’ll give her another five days. If we haven’t heard from Velvet by then, High Noon can go ahead with his plan.”

“I can?” he looked at her hopefully, mouthing the words ‘thank you’ to her, away from Frigid’s eyes.

Frigid frowned, but wasn’t directing it at anyone in particular. “Alright. That’s fine with me.”

“Maybe you’re not so heartless after all, lieutenant,” Keila muttered as she strolled away.

Frigid took a long breath and sat back down on the bench and sagged his shoulders. High Noon dropped down beside him, his fingers finding a bag of chips in his coat pocket.

“I don’t think you’re heartless, Frigid,” he gave his old friend a smile. “You’ve done plenty of good. I mean, you brought me to the Brotherhood when I was lost. In my book, that’s a big one.”

“It seems like you’re the only one who thinks that,” Frigid sighed. “Keila’s right… It should be me out there, not Velvet Breeze. I should have said something.”

“I’m sure Morning Blade agrees with me. I mean, she really looks up to you,” High Noon replied, slicing the bag open. “And it’s never too late to change things. We can look for her. I’ve already volunteered. I’ll go, Frigid. I’ll bring them both home. Then after that, m-maybe you can pull her from fieldwork. Y-You know, what you said just now.”

“Yeah, but I just hope Velvet’s all right, for my sake,” Frigid said, getting up. “You’d best be on your way, Noon, before Keila rails at me for being distracted on guard duty.”

“It takes two to guard the bureau effectively, Frigid,” High Noon said and passed the bag of chips over. “And I’ve already brought the snacks.”


Author's Note:

As requested by the readers, High Noon.

PreviousChapters Next