• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 6,466 Views, 808 Comments

Leap of Faith - A bag of plums



After the defeat of the Dazzlings, Sunset Shimmer finds herself at the center of an ancient struggle for power. With the net closing around them, can Sunset and her friends find out the truth before it finds them?

  • ...
29
 808
 6,466

PreviousChapters Next
The False Self

A single ruby-red droplet of blood shivered on the tip of Mirror Match’s finger, the tiny orb of sanguineous liquid reflecting and refracting the candlelight around her. Carefully, she moved a long, needlelike stick beneath it and let the droplet fall, staining its length a deep crimson. Licking the pinprick of a wound to close it up, Mirror Match took the stick and knelt reverently onto the tatami mat that decorated the floor in front of a towering glass display. There were no electrical lights in this part of her penthouse. This particular alcove was dotted with numerous holders for scented candles, all of which were now burning low in their bowls, none of them placed near enough to actually illuminate what the display actually held. She herself was wrapped in little else but a simple black silk robe, patterned sparsely with orange dragons.

Flicking open a lighter, Mirror Match applied the flame to the bloodstained stick, holding it there until the flame caught, the acrid scent quickly filling the room. This twig of incense joined the others before the darkened shrine, smoldering in the smoky gloom.

Mirror Match began to chant repeatedly.

“I offer you my blood as penance for my sins, O friend of my heart. May it please you, wherever you may be, in this life or the next, and may we soon be together once more.”

She remained kneeling until the last of the incense was extinguished.

Giving a final, respectful bow to the shrine, Mirror Match rose to her feet and snuffed out the remaining candles. Her stomach growled as she left the alcove and sealed the door behind the wall-size painting which hid it; she had been kneeling for almost the whole day, and the entire city of Manehattan was now dappled in the dying light of the winter sunset.

No matter. With the amount of money that the chairman had paid her for taking care of Dewdrop, she could afford to buy out several supermarkets to sate her hunger.

Of course, that was hardly necessary. Mirror’s luxurious three floor penthouse had a well-stocked kitchen that rarely needed to be refilled; she did live alone after all. But even the finest foods in her larder could not compare to what she was about to sink her teeth into… provided her contact showed up, that was.

Waltzing around to the second floor, the Templar agent shed her dressing gown carelessly onto the floor, making a mental note to pick it back up once she got back. In no time at all, Mirror had changed into an outfit that closely resembled an Assassin’s garb: a maroon cloak with a hood over a purple and grey set of combat robes, topped with a pair of dark violet boots and a jaunty red waist sash, held in place with her Templar badge.

Her outfit complete, Mirror’s last task was to walk over to an antique walnut bookcase that stood vigil next to the balcony door, where she kept all manner of useful things, like binoculars, several of her favorite romance novels, and most importantly, a grapple gun.

After switching on the security grid that ran throughout her house, Mirror Match aimed the grapple gun at the nearest rooftop, the tool’s kickback driving the stock into her shoulder and the industrial-strength cable uncoiling like a slinky.

Mirror smiled as she felt the grappling hook bite into something out of sight, but still gave it a few tugs before tying her end onto one of the many anchor points she’d had installed when she had first moved in. Her penthouse was the tallest building around for blocks, and using the rooftops to get around was a lot easier than taking the lift down to the ground floor and walking. For the same reason, she had also made sure to remove any possible obstructions on her balconies that could be grappled onto from a lower elevation.

Night had completely fallen by the time Mirror Match slid across the cable and hit the rooftop running. It was a long way down, but a drop at this height didn’t bother her. She was more concerned with her meeting, which she now had about ten minutes to get to and was on the other side of Manehattan. She smirked; this was going to be close.

Her legs blurring with the speed, Mirror Match vaulted over outcropping walls and air filter units and sailed high over streets, never slowing down. Each footfall kicked up a small explosion of snow and once she almost slipped, but a quick backflip combined with a cartwheel was more than enough to make up for any lost time.

As she ran, Mirror sniffed at the air, searching for that one scent among millions that would point the way to her contact. It was faint, but as she ran it grew stronger: the vaguely stale smell of duty and repression mixed with an almost completely buried smell of affection, all slathered with a coleslaw of internal conflict. She suspected that if she had her way, it wouldn’t stay buried for much longer.

Nine minutes.

The smell was almost overwhelming now. Mirror took a deep breath and activated her eagle sense.

The world fell into a dark grey with nothing but the sound of Mirror’s own breath and the blood pumping in her own ears. Most significantly, two rooftops away a figure highlighted itself in bright gold.

Gathering the strength in her legs and leaping the remaining distance, the Templar agent sailed through the sky and landed feet first in front of Frigid Night.

The Assassin lieutenant jumped, startled into dropping the remains of his hamburger. Frigid’s hidden blades shot out by pure reflex, but they were withdrawn just as quickly once he took stock of who it was.

“Bit paranoid, aren’t we?” Mirror tittered, reaching up and lowering her hood.

Frigid did the same before bending down to pick his burger from the snow, salvaging what he could. "You can never be too safe. Being backstabbed once is enough."

Mirror’s smile widened and she shrugged. “Oh, come now, if it didn’t kill you then, I don’t think it’ll kill you now. Besides, I was in a short temper that day. Woman scorned and all that.” Her words sounded just as insincere as her expression.

"Well, what did your temper have to do with me?" Frigid asked as he tossed a soggy bun away after noticing it was beyond redemption.

Without warning, Mirror Match stepped right up to Frigid, caressing his cheek with her hand. “My temper? Nothing to do with you at all. You’re a victim of circumstance, darling.” Frigid could have stabbed her then and there, but he knew from experience that doing so was not only pointless, but a good way to get stabbed in return. So he held his instinct in check while the agent chuckled and backed away. “I have been known to possess a rather… explosive temper, hmm?”

Frigid's countenance darkened as he understood the double entendre; he raised his right hand to touch one of the scars that marred his face. "I've never known you to have a bad temper, Mirror. You were always so nice and considerate and…” his voice trailed off.

“...and skilled and sexy, I know,” Mirror’s laughter echoed around the rooftops, the cold air carrying it for blocks around. She breathed deeply: the scent of affection was much more potent now, almost eclipsing the scent of stale duty. “But it was never going to work, Friggy. Our paths in life aren’t exactly compatible now, you see?” She closed her eyes and the smile faded away, replaced by something almost regretful. “You made your choice, and I made mine.”

Frigid looked at his almost finished burger, suddenly losing his appetite. "You wanted me to abandon the Creed. To give up the reason why I fight.”

“I wanted you to find a new reason to fight. Not the same thing, Friggy.”

"I fought for you too, Mirror. I did everything I had to so that we could have a future together... But I would never join the Templars.”

“If you recall,” Mirror said in a short, clipped tone. “I didn’t ask you to join the Templars. You ignored me, just like you ignored my warnings not to go to Saddle Arabia. And look where that’s landed you and your Assassins.”

Frigid Night remained silent and looked away.

Mirror Match sighed. This wasn’t going how she’d wanted.

“Hey,” she walked back to the Assassin and put her hand on his shoulder. “Are you alright? Mentor giving you a hard time?”

Frigid closed his eyes and shook his head. "Mentor's doing her best to keep things under control. The others though… I don’t know if they’ll ever treat me the same again."

Exhaling through her nose, Mirror Match shrugged and picked at a loose thread on her cloak.

“You don’t sound like you’re treating the others too fairly either,” she said. “Even before Masyaf, you were hardly the most level person with Keila and Dewdrop.”

“How do you-” Frigid stopped himself, resigning back to the conclusion that Mirror just seemed to know things that she should have no clue about. “I can handle Keila,” he grunted. “As for Dewdrop, she’s gone missing. Probably passed out drunk somewhere in a pub somewhere. Always knew she was a loose cannon.”

“Dewdrop,” Mirror took a series of steps toward Frigid, her face downcast in disapproval. “Is probably in the Chicoltgo hospital for a dislocated arm and multiple blunt trauma wounds. I’m disappointed that you’re so fast to assume the worst about those you work with,” she huffed. “Put up quite a fight too, that minx.”

"How- What did you do to her?" Frigid stared into the Templar's blue eyes.

“Nothing permanent,” Mirror said in a sing-song voice. “She’ll just be out of commission long enough for Wolfgang to finish his work in Canterlot. If I know Dewdrop, no amount of police can keep her down for long.”

"Why do this, Mirror?" Frigid pleaded with her. "Why help the Templars? What are they so interested in this Sunset Shimmer girl for?"

“You’re all business and no fun these days,” Mirror Match rolled her eyes. “If you must know, I have absolutely no interest or intent to get involved with any Sunset Shimmer. And,” she pulled up her hood. “As for why I’m helping the Templars, even you can’t be that stupid. You’re on your last legs, holed up in a dilapidated old ruin in Trottingham, while I’m living like a queen-ahem, princess in an apartment at the peak of Manehattan, finally being appreciated for my skills. I think it’s rather obvious why I work for the Templars!”

Frigid lifted a hand and put it on her shoulder hesitantly. "When we first met, you told me you joined the Assassins because you wanted to do good for the world and to look for someone. What would that person say about you now?"

‘Well, that’s an easy one,” Mirror Match smirked, but there was no heart in it. She shrugged his hand off her shoulder and walked to the edge of the rooftop. “I think they’d be rather proud of me.”

Before Frigid could say more, Mirror Match had hurled a smoke bomb onto the ground, causing the Assassin to cough and wheeze until the smog dissipated. By the time the air was clear, Mirror Match was gone.

Frigid sighed heavily before pulling up his own hood. He wasn’t sure why he kept meeting up with Mirror Match, when all it did was cause him more grief and earn him more flak from Keila. With a heavy heart and even heavier feet, Frigid Night swan dived off the roof and began the long journey back home.

Concealed under a loose tarpaulin a single rooftop away, Mirror Match giggled, her stomach no longer growling. Same old Frigid Night. It was almost a pity that she couldn’t just take him home and keep him.


Princess Twilight trotted down the snowy marble castle halls, heading for the captain's office, just waiting to get some answers. The office door was polished and well cleaned like every other door in the palace, though this one had a little bronze plaque on it labeled ‘Cpt. Frigid Night’, and an engraving of his cutie mark, a blue ice crystal in front of a crescent moon.

Twilight breathed deep before knocking a hoof on the door.

"Come in," a low, gruff voice called from inside.

Twilight pushed on the door, feeling it swing open on well-oiled hinges, and entered the office. It was in many ways very similar to her brother’s old quarters; filing cabinets lined the right wall while a map dominated the left wall, covered in little red flags over each major settlement. Finally there was the big wooden desk that every official in Canterlot seemed to own, positioned in front of a wide window that offered a glorious view of the city and the training grounds.

There was a tall, well muscled stallion seated at this desk, all clad in armor except for his head. His helmet was placed neatly on a stand and was in the process of being polished by a pretty, reddish purple maned unicorn wearing a maid outfit that looked a size or two too small for her.

"Ah, Princess Twilight!" Frigid Night said as he stood up to salute, his face brightening. The maid also paused to give Twilight a bow before resuming her work. "Good to see you again. What may I assist you with?"

Twilight trotted to the chair opposite his desk and sat herself down. “Captain, I’m actually looking for answers of a certain guard that I know of. Velvet Breeze. Would you be familiar with that name?”

Frigid Night nodded and rested a hoof on his table, thinking to himself before gasping. “Yes, I’m familiar, princess. She’s, uh, no longer around. Did the guards a real service after your brother’s wedding. Would you like to see her memorial?”

“That won’t be necessary, captain,” Twilight shook her head. “I’ve been there. What can you tell me about Velvet?”

Frigid cleared his throat before continuing. “She was a Lunar guard, if memory serves. One of Princess Luna’s batwings. Not my jurisdiction, you see, but even you must remember that fuss that got kicked up in the weeks after the invasion.”

Twilight nodded. Guards had been sent out to deal with changeling attacks all across the kingdom. Most returned with minimal scratches, but one platoon took heavy casualties, slaughtered by Queen Chrysalis herself.

"Velvet Breeze was sent out with her squad to find and capture the changeling queen. Unfortunately, only one guard made it back. They were ambushed by the changelings on their way to the reported sightings," Frigid Night looked at his polished helmet to take his mind off the sordid memory. “You know the rest of the story, princess.”

Twilight stared glumly at her forehooves. She did indeed know the rest of the story; the tranquil fury that Princess Luna had exhibited when the news had come back was still with her to this day. Chrysalis had then been swiftly captured and brought back to Canterlot for judgement, only for a particularly puzzling series of circumstances to occur, culminating in the Changeling Queen’s escape. Officially, Queen Chrysalis had somehow contrived to slip past the royal guard while in disguise and fly away to safety before anypony could respond. Twilight’s frown deepened. The unofficial story was far more sinister, but that wasn’t why she was here.

“But, Velvet Breeze, captain?” Twilight brought the conversation back to the matter at hoof. “Is there anywhere else I can learn more? It’s very important,” she insisted.

“Well, you can check with the night captain, Captain Glimpse,” Frigid suggested. “Velvet Breeze was under her command when… that happened. I’m sorry. I wish I could help you, princess, after all you’ve done for Equestria.”

The captain bowed his head apologetically. Twilight wasn’t too disappointed; over the course of her entire career as a student of Celestia, she had rarely encountered a research project that had been straightforward. This search for Velvet Breeze was no different.

In a gesture of comfort, Twilight patted Frigid on the shoulder and smiled. “It’s not your fault, captain. I’ll go talk to this Captain Glimpse and find out what she knows. Thanks for your help!”

Captain Frigid stood up respectfully to see the princess out of the office. Out of the corner of her eye, Twilight saw the maid eyeing her with a strange, almost pensive expression on her face. Then the moment passed and she went back to dusting the shelves, just another member of the legions of staff that Celestia and Luna employed.

Twilight left the captain’s office and cantered down the corridor, heading to the Lunar guard offices in search of this Captain Glimpse. While she was fairly well-versed in the Solar side of things because of Shining Armor, Princess Luna’s half of the kingdom’s military was for the most part a mystery to the Princess of Friendship. Maybe she could change that today.

It was a long walk from the East wing to the West, but soon, the lavender alicorn found herself trotting past the western gates, keeping an eye out for the little bronze plaque of Glimpse’s office. Berating herself under her breath for not asking what Glimpse’s cutie mark looked like before leaving Frigid’s office, Twilight meandered down three corridors and five dead ends before finally she elected to ask one of the patrolling guardsponies about it.

"Hi there," Twilight began. "I'm looking for Captain Glimpse's office. Could you show me where it is, please?”

"First corridor, on your left, princess," he replied.

Twilight nodded her thanks and allowed him to resume his patrol as she continued her search for the night captain's office. It turns out that she was already pretty close, finding it on her first try in the next corridor. It was the first door in a row of offices, sporting the same plaque as Captain Frigid's, while a eye-shaped cutie mark rested underneath it.

Twilight knocked on the door and waited, but no sound was heard from within. "Umm... Hello?" she called again, knocking on it again. The door remained firmly shut.

“Hmm.”

Twilight knocked a couple more times for good measure, each impact of her hooves on the wood sending her excitement down another notch. Eventually the princess stopped knocking and knelt down to peer into the keyhole, but it was too dark inside to see anything. Maybe it was a night guard thing.

I am not going away until I get some answers, Twilight scowled resolutely. My friends are counting on me, and as the Princess of Friendship, I have a duty to help them, no matter how long I have to sit knocking on this blasted door.

As she raised her hoof to resume knocking, a lightbulb went off in Twilight’s head. The alicorn lit up her horn, a spell already on her lips.

Twilight’s magic struck the door, the whole surface glowing for a brief moment before fading away.

Then the door began knocking itself.

It was as if there was an invisible pony pounding his hooves on the door as hard as he could. Applejack herself bucking the door down couldn’t have been louder.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang.

Twilight sat back to admire her handiwork before conjuring a pair of earmuffs and fitting them snugly over her ears to wait.

This will get her to come to the door for sure.

However, even with a spell doing the knocking for her, it was still pretty boring out here in an empty hallway. Deciding that she would probably know once Glimpse came out of her office, Twilight pulled a novel out of her saddlebags and flipped to her latest page.

Instead of somepony coming out from behind the door, Twilight soon found another pony trotting down the hall, wearing a puzzled look on her blue face. She seemed to be saying something, but no sound was coming out of the other princess’s mouth. Princess Luna frowned and lit up her horn, levitating the earmuffs from Twilight’s head.

"Twilight Sparkle?" Princess Luna asked, narrowing her eyes at the self-knocking door. "What in Equestria is going on?"

"Princess Luna!" Twilight leapt to her hooves and stuffed the book back into her bag. "Was the noise disturbing you? I'm sorry. I'm just looking for Captain Glimpse." Twilight quickly uncast the magical door knocking spell.

"Captain Glimpse is asleep in the barracks, Twilight Sparkle." Twilight's eye twitched and she resisted the reflex to slap a hoof into her face. Of course she was still asleep. Lunar guards didn't go on duty until the sun went down. "Is there something of importance you require from the captain? Perhaps we will be able to assist you?"

Princess Luna was the best pony to ask. Twilight realized she could've just gone to her from the beginning. Sometimes, it's the smallest details she overlooked. "Princess, I'm trying to find out more about a guard you had under you. Velvet Breeze. Could you tell me more about her? I'm investigating something for Sunset Shimmer and the others."

Luna nodded, as if she had been expecting this. "Walk with us. We shall explain what you wish to know, to the best of our ability. Now, what do you wish to know about Sergeant Breeze?"

"Sergeant?” It took Twilight a second to realize Luna was talking about Velvet. “Oh. Well, the thing is, I’m not quite sure what I’m looking for.”

Luna did not seem surprised; on the contrary, an understanding smile graced the Moon Princess’s muzzle. “‘Tis often the case with matters of the heart, and what are friends but those closest to yours?”

Their path took them up to one of the many turreted towers that pierced the heavens above Canterlot Castle, where a secluded table stood, already set with a piping hot teapot and sweet-smelling seed cake, one of Princess Luna’s well known favorites.

“Tea, Twilight Sparkle?” she asked as she magicked two small ceramic cups towards them, filling them midair with practiced ease.

“Thank you, princess,” Twilight smiled and wrapped her cup in a magical aura before bringing it down to her mouth to take a sip; it was thick and dark and was almost too sweet, but then she noticed that Luna was taking hers alongside bites of the cake, which helped to balance it out.

The two princesses enjoyed the repast in relative silence, broken only by Luna asking if Twilight would like more tea or cake. Only when the last crumbs had been swept from their platter and Luna had patted the corners of her mouth with an embroidered napkin did Twilight sense the mood of the room change to a more grave, formal mood.

“Thank you for having tea with us, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna intoned. “It is rare that we get the opportunity to spend time with a friend. We am most grateful for your company.”

“No problem at all, Princess Luna,” Twilight replied as she levitated her cup down. “Could you tell me more about Velvet Breeze?”

“Certainly,” A lick of blue fire dropped a scroll onto the table at Luna’s hooves. She offered it to Twilight. “Sergeant Velvet Breeze. A good pony, by all accounts. Loyal, brave, and true, like the rest of her platoon. Made it all the more difficult to send their coffins off,” Luna finished somewhat bitterly.

“Princess,” Twilight started, remembering the scene in the memorial. “A week ago, I encountered a mysterious cloaked pony, placing moon lilies on the sergeant’s grave.”

“‘Tis not unusual,” Luna shrugged. “Many ponies often visit the memorial to pay their respects to the fallen. As for the cloak, there are numerous reasons why somepony would want to keep their identity hidden. We did something of that sort when we first came to Ponyville, did we not?”

“That is true…” Twilight put a hoof to her chin as she thought about it. “Another thing, Princess Luna. The reason I’m searching for answers is because Sunset Shimmer says she’s being followed by someone calling herself Velvet Breeze. I’m still not too sure how closely our two worlds are related, but could our Velvet still be alive? Or could it be that the human Velvet is wearing a false name? There are so many possibilities.”

Hearing this, Luna frowned and sat up a little taller. “Our knowledge of this other world is limited, Twilight Sparkle, but from what you and Sunset Shimmer have told us, the impression that we have received is that both our worlds are very similar, at least in the manner that as there is a me here,” Luna rested a hoof on her belly. “There is also a Luna on the other side. We would be inclined to believe that this Velvet on the other side of the portal is an impostor, but…”

Twilight tilted her head three degrees to the right. “But?”

“But we are loathe to leap to conclusions without any solid evidence of either fact.” At Luna’s behest, Twilight unrolled the scroll. It was a military record for the Lunar guard, but it wasn’t Velvet’s file. Instead the photograph at the top displayed a slim, grey bat pony who Twilight thought looked familiar, but couldn’t quite place her hooves on it. Neatly printed under the picture was the name: Satin Breeze.

“Satin… Breeze?” Twilight repeated off the parchment. “A relative of Velvet’s? I don’t understand.”

“If the Velvet Breeze of the other world is truly the parallel of the one on this side, then it is simply a matter of seeing if she fulfills a certain number of similarity checks,” Princess Luna sipped at her tea, only to stare distastefully at how it had gone cold. “We do not know all the intimate details of each individual member of our subjects, but if there is anypony who can tell you about things that only the real Velvet Breeze would know, it will be her family.”

“Thank you, Princess Luna!” Twilight’s mouth formed into a grin. the Moon Princess had just given her a fantastic idea and a more efficient way to continue her investigation. “When may I talk to Satin? Is she awake by any chance?”

“To be honest, we are not sure.” Twilight’s brow furrowed. Princess Luna now knowing if somepony was awake or not? That seemed strange. “Satin Breeze has a rather… erratic sleeping pattern. If you’d like, I can send somepony to call ahead for you?” She stomped a hoof onto the ground and like magic, a bat pony mare in dark armor dropped down from the ceiling where she had apparently been hiding and bowed to Twilight and Luna, completely unfazed by Twilight yelping and jumping back in surprise.

“Princess Twilight,” the pony spoke with a distinct Prench accent. “Would you like me to accompany you to Satin Breeze?”

“Oh, that won’t be necessary, Agent Eclair. I don’t want to trouble you. Actually,” Twilight said curiously. “I thought you said you were going back to Prance?”

Oui, I did, but Princess Luna offered me a post here that I simply could not turn down. There are questions about the changeling invasion that, how do you say, are still sans résponse. I am sure you remember at least one very big one.” A shadow passed over her face.

Twilight knew all too well. As much as she would like to help Eclair with her own work, the Princess of Friendship had a more pressing task at hand. “I try not to worry about it.” Twilight picked up her saddlebag and slung it over her back. “Well, I better go find this Satin Breeze. Take care, Princess Luna. Agent Eclair.”

The other two watched her go. Once Twilight Sparkle’s hoofsteps had faded completely, Luna gave a sidelong glance at her guard.

“Another Velvet…” she murmured thoughtfully. “I wonder if…?”

Eclair stretched one of her wings; staying on the ceiling really gave her the cramps.“You wonder what, my princess?”

“Nothing, Agent Eclair. But I think that Tia and I will be having a little chat later tonight.”

The tea had gone stone cold by now, so Luna and Eclair followed suit and descended the tower, leaving the remains of the meal to be taken away by a maid with a reddish purple mane.

Author's Note:

As requested by readers on this blog post, there is now a picture of the human Frigid Night available here.

PreviousChapters Next