• Published 3rd Dec 2014
  • 2,975 Views, 46 Comments

A Queen's love - A Twysalis story - nioniosbbbb



My creation before it's going to be posted in the Twysalis prompt tag collab! After repeated questions Chrysalis finally confesses the way she ascended to the throne.

  • ...
27
 46
 2,975

Introduction:Meet the Hive Ao

Alpha, A, the beginning, the start, the prologue…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am Ao the changeling. But Ao wasn’t always me… I was once trapped in the form of Tidal Rider, a blue pegasus stallion with a brown and black mane, i had a cutie mark of a white and blue wave with a wing upon it. I couldn’t return to my true parents. I had suffered a rare changeling psychosis called “Immersion”. I was so caught up in my experience of being a pony that I couldn’t hear the calls of my siblings, my mother, my father…

But she did.

She was the Queen of my kind, and her name was Chrysalis. She came to me, she freed me… Once I overcame my fears I saw my true form: insectoid wings, silver hair, heterochromic eyes:honey-brown and soft-sea green. I felt relieved. The true Tidal Rider was returned to his parents and I returned the love of his parents back to my Queen. A notion of equivalent exchange as we thought of it that time.

But changelings grew tired of this. We didn’t want to give our children away any more, we wanted to live in the light and so in order to fulfill that wish my… no, OUR Queen went to war.

She was willing to do this so that we could live as we deserved. In the end, we failed. Sensing an imminent war, Chrysalis secretly called Twilight Sparkle to her chambers to stop a full-scale war with Equestria. An orb was sent through Twilight’s assistant Spike. Acting like a map with its magic it guided her to our Kingdom’s gates south through the Appaloosan Mountain range and then on through the forest of Leota. From there I escorted her to my Queen.

I loved my Queen, I strove to become one of her top guards just for that reason. She had saved me, I owed her my life, and with that I would repay her. As the time passed I sensed bonding between Twilight and Chrysalis. I was a creature of empathy, I knew. I wanted our Queen to be happy, so I was happy for her.

A few days later, I woke up to see the world had changed for the worse. None remembered Chrysalis!

Absurd! Impossible! Inconceivable!

Why, I would find the one responsible and twist their necks a thousand times over! I tried to remind my fellow warriors of their Queen! We had a new Queen, her name was Foals Errand. As I reminded her of that Queen, warriors from my old Hive-Kingdom came to challenge us. They wished me to forget, it was the wish of the Queen they said! I wouldn’t believe that, and even if that had been true, I was due of an explanation!

Foals Errand agreed to help me… we went to the Equestrian Princesses to look for answers. They directed us towards the legend of the temple of Judgement, they said they would be there to witness the events, but they couldn’t interfere.

The Temple of Judgement, a place where all Queens were judged worthy to lead the changelings by the spirits of three ancient rulers:King Proteus the Overfather, Queen Metis the cunningly wise, and King Nousios the blindingly fair.

We fought to get there. And now… now we have come to get our Queen back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Omega, Ω, the ending, the stop, the conclusion.

“Why are you here Ao?”

I never thought I’d be fighting in the sacred temple of judgement, a holy place I had dreamt of visiting one day. To be here was an honor for me, but that didn’t matter. I couldn’t enjoy the glorious architecture, the marvelous magically suspended libra with its three edges, each standing for the soul, the body, the mind. Nor could I enjoy the grand statues of the ancient changeling rulers.

“Why did you come this far?”

Olive green mane, lavender eyes, and an ornate longsword: besides me was Foals Errand and other warriors I had called forth, friends and more. Behind us were Celestia, Luna, and Cadance with her husband Shining Armor. In front of me, however, was the TRUE Queen. She wore a mage’s battlegarb in teal. She was the Liberator, the Monarch of the Black Sanctuary, the Black Siren.

She was Queen Chrysalis.

I wanted to hear the reason why she had left us! As if she knew what I was thinking she spoke first.

“I wanted to be forgotten, I wanted you to live your lives without worrying about me, yet I should have known better…” she paused, looking down.

“The core of the Primal taint of the changelings resides within me. Until now it manifested itself as us feeding from love. But with my failure in Canterlot, it awakened. If I don’t seal myself it will consume all of the changelings, but even if you defeat me it will infect you like the parasite it is.”

Behind the tough composure, the fierce gaze she was giving me, she was masking something… pain. I could feel the taint of the changelings manifesting in all its evil greatness.

I told her the truth behind my presence here.

“I couldn’t just let you be forgotten. You did so much for us...”

She closed her eyes as she frowned, a shadow “grew” over her face and dark determination overcame her.

“I see… so you came here...” she paused, and I heard hoofsteps behind her.

She walked steadily from behind Chrysalis. I quickly recognized the unicorn dressed in purple battlegear, the stripe on her head, the star-shaped cutie mark on her shoulder.

Twilight Sparkle…

Suddenly, they both emanated a crimson red glow that pulsed around them like a taint. I knew this glow: it was the taint of the changelings in its most primal form. But it wasn’t just coming from them. It was coming from the soldiers behind them that were now stepping from the darkness. The veteran members of Chrysalis’s hive were present there.

“Impossible… you mean to tell me that the primal taint of the changelings has reached even the Element of Magic?” I gritted my teeth in anger.

“Ao… the couple you love so much doesn’t exist anymore. Right now I’m going to use all of our dark love’s might to beat you!” Her gaze was locked upon me.

“Twilight…” whispered Celestia, narrowing her eyes upon the sight of her former student, surrounded by this kind of magic.

“What a black cloud filled with sadness.” Said Luna, astute as ever, observing the heavy tone.

“This is intense, Twilight: I never thought you’d go this far.” Shining Armor was standing on guard next to his speechless wife, but neither he nor the princesses were going to be involved. This was a matter changelings had to resolve and the only thing they could do was push towards the resolution of it.

Chrysalis turned towards the Princesses

“I thought you knew why I kept myself locked in here. I wanted to keep this undying taint sealed forever! You said you’d be neutral.” there was a hint of anger on her words.

Celestia smiled awkwardly “I’m sorry. You see, in the end I had to give my support to the one who might have a chance of finding a way out of this.” She turned towards Luna, who closed her eyes for a bit and exhaled.

“I do feel sorry for this… but I am not willing to live in this world at the expense of others’ lives. When you took that decision I didn’t know any alternatives, that’s why I proposed to my sister that we remain neutral while we subtly fed the changelings.”

Foals Errand took the word next as she stepped next to me. She had aided me and the changelings, and we had finally arrived.

“Chrysalis… we’re not going to let that taint overcome us, or the world! But in order for us to have a chance we need you back! And if we have to fight about it, then SO BE IT!!!”

As the battle began, it was almost too fast paced for the spectators to follow. Commands were mentally sent from one to the other.

A changeling surrounded in a fire-red aura dashed across the battlefield, knocking everyone out of his path. One of Chrysalis and Twilight’s warriors with a curved blade poised to meet the blazing changeling. Gusts of wind pushed the opposing back. One of Chrysalis’ warriors came from behind me, but fortunately I had enough time to block him as I extended my hoof forming a hexagon barrier spell. I felt a hoof from my back and as I turned to see Foals Errand I was quickly teleported up and behind Chrysalis and Twilight, who covered their warriors with illusions and blasted spells respectively. I grabbed the chance and skydove at them while Foals Errand summoned a series of swords, launching the projectiles against them. Twilight noticed it in time, pushing Chrysalis to the side while shielding herself.

Chrysalis and Twilight jumped back. We didn’t have time to stop their next spell.

“I see… so it’s your friends that grant you power, right? But there are some things friends can’t change. Let’s show them, Twilight!”

All the brightness of the temple vanished for a moment and the crimson red glow in Twilight’s and Chrysalis’s bodies intensified. As quickly as it appeared it was gone, and big chunks of ice appeared around my comrade’s bodies. Foals Errand and I tried to reach them but they were covered so quickly.The ice didn’t break when I struck it, nor could fire melt it.

“That…” I turned to see Twilight, who was speaking

“... is what happens when you challenge our love! As for you Ao...” I gulped.

“IMPRISONMENT!!!” Before I knew what hit me silver ropes constricted my body. Everything went black and I found myself suspended in the void, unable to move. It was strange however… even here I could hear some voices, spirits talking to me. What trickery was this? I focused my thoughts on Foals Errand and, connected through the hive mind, I saw her. Even if I was this far, our bond couldn’t be shattered.

“Is this your intent?” she said as she clashed with Twilight in bladed combat, their gazes locked upon each other. “To prevent all of my options and make me surrender?” She gritted her teeth. “Even so, I’m going to advance!” Her body glowed and everyone retreated as a small wave of energy pushed them back. She took the time to gather energy that manifested as an orange glow around her body. I knew this spell: it was the “Call” and I mentally prepared for combat once again. If this worked…

She whispered internally her: “Thousands of trials besiege you, but your soul rises again and again… my noble champion! Break through your prison and come to me!” I saw it around me as I opened my eyes. The magic of the changelings, those who bonded close could perform the “Call of the Ally” to call upon their friends wherever they were. I felt the light pushing me forward and as my speed grew through the void I saw its’ edge break and I landed next to my Queen. We grabbed the chance of our enemies’ surprise and dashed at them, together.

“Our voices will be heard! Our wishes will be answered!” With joint hooves our flight was faster than ever. We shared magic, we shared strength. Right now our magic, our strikes, they were all made by one person. The veterans that stood before us couldn’t hold us back as our charge broke through.

“Let it be heard, the voice of the people!” Foals enhanced our charge with speeding runes while her conjured blades kept the others at bay. Our attack hit on the combined shield made by Chrysalis and Twilight. Curses! Just a little bit more! A swordfight ensued as the remaining combatants struggled for victory. Chrysalis and Twilight joined their hooves together, magic clashed and surged from them. I jumped in front of my Queen as a beam of dark crimson energy was launched against us. Conjuring five runes in pentagonal formation I cast the Quintet Wall spell. As it impacted it pushed me back, but I held my ground. When we raised our heads to see our opponents, Chrysalis and Twilight were casting that spell again!

“I can’t quench your fighting spirit, Foals Errand. I know that. If that’s the case then you’ll be the one imprisoned this time!” said Chrysalis as Twilight unleashed it. I watched in horror as in the blink of an eye what had hit me hit my Queen. What was there to do? Was there a solution? I closed my eyes…

“This is the end…,” I heard the voice of my Queen. I could guess that they were charging at me. I heard the same voices of the void whispering to me, and then it dawned upon me.

“I got it!” I said as I raised my sword, deflecting Twilight’s spell. But there was still Chrysalis, who was launching a blast. “Shield Wall!” I said slamming my fist to the ground as I knelt, standing against the brick wall that had risen from the stone beneath me.

“WHY!” Chrysalis raged as Twilight tried to hold her back by grabbing her arm. “WHY DO YOU PERSIST?”

“Incredible! He blocked it!” Said Shining Armor from the back, giving an impressed whistle.

“But that’s not all.” said Celestia.

“You noticed, sister?” Luna smiled at Celestia while Shining and Cadence looked at them quizzically.

“He has figured something out.” said Celestia, smiling.

I didn’t waste time responding to Chrysalis. “If the primal taint has awakened within you… then I take it upon myself to bear, it my Queen. I swore that I would give you the chance to be happy as you did!”

“Don’t… don’t sacrifice yourself for us!” pleaded Twilight as she held Chrysalis from attacking. She didn’t want her to snap and do something she would regret.

“Even though you did the same thing for us, you don’t want me to do this?” Twilight was taken aback, maybe a little guilty at the thought that she was claiming the glory of this sacrifice for herself. There was silence.

“I guess… I am the same way. I wouldn’t like to shift the blame, or burden, to anyone.” There was no answer to this. “Chrysalis, Twilight… there’s no need for you to sacrifice yourselves. Let us all bear this burden!”

“What? The core of this taint can only exist in one person!” Chrysalis responded, the attention of which I had. I knew this much at least.

“There’s a way out. When you imprisoned me in the void it became clear to me. The ancient rulers residing here would never allow such a taint to overcome us! As avatars of empathy they were trying to find a way to take in that taint, and neutralize it! If this is the case then with their help we can start undoing this! They were waiting for the love that could change this! And it is here!”

“That’s… impossible.”

“HEY EVERYONE! Who here is prepared to share in their burden?” I shouted, demanding an answer out of those surrounding me. The note of their answer was unanimous, so much that it halted Chrysalis and Twilight’s reactions by sheer surprise. Even the Equestrians joined in the chorus.

“My Queen… I am going to defeat you. And I’m going to prove to you that I’m right!” I clenched my hoof and started gathering my strength. Not physical, nor magical… I gathered the strength to live, to continue, to overcome my burdens. As I focused on avoiding direct confrontation with the rest of the warriors I whispered my wish. “Amidst despair and loss… a new Queen is born!” I focused my heart at this, and as I did an orange glow gathered around me. I raised my hoof, sending it up. A small glint of light at the end was a sign: my wish had been heard, and I smiled as Foals Errand descended, slamming on the ground next to me.

We wasted no time. We thundered forth, but this time it seemed as if the very magic of this place answered our wishes. Our eyes glowed, our hair flowed as magic surged around our auras. A sword of magic answered our call at our joined h. With one simultaneous swing, it reached the pair. There was no stopping this attack, and Chrysalis and Twilight’s attempts to block this proved to be in vain. As the force sent them to the walls I could grasp the awe of the warriors: both friends, who with the magic binding them gone were now free, and enemies.

Chrysalis shifted from her position and her aura swirled wildly in shades of crimson and black. There was something sickening shifting from her chest, like a jetblack rock. I understood, as did everyone, that this was the core she was talking about. She screamed wildly as the pain of it coming out overwhelmed her. As the crown fell from her head and rolled towards my hooves my instincts told me to pick it up. The “Taint Shard”, as I called it in my head, launched itself towards me and my Queen. Grabbing the crown tighter, I prayed.

“Ancestors, aid us!” I pleaded. The crown vibrated and glowed in response. Guided by a will of its own, the crown hovered in front of me. An insectoid figure quickly formed below it, shining with a fierce emerald glow, armed with a greatsword half its height. Three voices echoed from the figure and the statues around me.

“TAINT THAT WOULD CONSUME THE PROTEANS. BY LOVE YOUR HUNGER BE SATED, BY EMPATHY YOUR RAGING INFERNO BE DOUSED!”

The figure charged at the shard, its booming voice echoing in the halls.

“LET FORGIVENESS WASH AWAY THE SINS AND PAIN YOU HAVE CAUSED!” It struck the shard, whos’ will was staggered by the slash. The avatar of the changelings, Proteans as our ancestors called our race, struck again. But this time it took my form. It struck again with a different form, this time Queen Chrysalis was striking. The next was Twilight, the princesses, the hive that was present, all of them delivered a blow that split the shard to even smaller pieces. The pieces then rushed to those present, but the figure didn’t vanish.

The avatar of the Proteans restored all present to their full health and beckoned them forth. Its voice, however, was softer now.

“Listen children. The taint of evil cannot be destroyed completely. But it is now too small to actually force our species into extinction, or otherwise. It is now up to you to eventually see the end of this by accepting this Taint and turning it into something good. With forgiveness, resolve, and empathy all is possible. As you do, the Taint will split and one more step towards defeating it will be taken. When you have spread this message to all of Equestria, the Proteans will no longer need to feed upon love.”

There was a murmur of disbelief around Chrysalis as she spoke. “No longer needing to feed upon love? When will that moment come?”

“In due time. The Proteans are known for their perseverance. The ascension from the Abyss, the Armageddon's Exodus, and now… the Cleansing of the Taint. Sometimes we need to be reminded what we are capable dear Chrysalis. Go in peace, and spread forgiveness and love. Remember to be empathetic.”

With those words the avatar faded.

“The long journey is over…” was all I could think as the hive met their Queen again. As the two smaller ones became one once again.

We were granted the title of “Vanguards”, that equates to heroes for the changelings, leaders that took the initiative in crucial moments. All we wanted was the happiness of the changelings. Finally… we had the chance to make this dream a reality. The journey was going to be long… but we had each other, and so we feared nothing.

Author's Note:

Yes I did get a wee bit inspired by Cardfight!! Vanguard don't mind me this is just the beginning. All information about my OCs can be found here. Foals Errand belongs to her.