• Published 3rd Dec 2014
  • 3,932 Views, 248 Comments

Sweet Pea - CartoonNerd12



The spin-off to The Midnight Dance starring the CMC as they take a journey to an island kingdom to face challeges that lie ahead

  • ...
4
 248
 3,932

Chapter 6

The band was playing in a glistening grand ballroom as ponies dressed in their finest were making their way in. Princesses started coming in, showing off their new, fashionable ball gowns.

The band saw them and started singing, "Every single princess in Equestria… Prayed to be invited to the ball… Every Portia, Guinevere and Janet… Would come by coach or boat to be here… Most would swim the moat to be here… Just to be at this historic gala! Girls would walk, or run, or even crawl… Rumor is that at this joyous scene tonight…The prince will likely choose his future queen tonight…"

Pip and Rumble were dressed in tuxes, courtesy of the princesses they arrived with. They began to wonder where they were at as they stood by at the buffet table. Tired of waiting, Rumble started stuffing his muzzle with melonballs. Pip looked towards the stairway and slack-jawed at the sight. He nudged Rumble to stop eating.

"What?" he mumbled with his mouth full, but when he saw Pip tilting his head towards the stairs, he ended up nearly choking.

They saw Apple Bloom and Scootaloo approaching them, each radiating in their gowns, which made them sparkle.

"Apple Bloom…?" Pip was stunned.

She tittered at his loss for words.

"So?" Scootaloo directly asked Rumble, "What do you think? Too much?"

"No! I mean, no… it's… you…" he smacked his face, feeling like a dope.

She turned her head away in shyness, which was a first for her, "Thank you…"

"So, um, how's Sweetie Belle?" Rumble asked them.

"Disappointed she couldn't come down, but she's willing to wait." Scootaloo answered.

"And have you two seen Button yet?" AB asked.

"Not yet. My guess is he'll be coming in with his parents." Pip said.

Scootaloo gestured, "Well, looks we got time. Might as well go mingle."

The four of them started going around the area.

Meanwhile, in their Everfree castle, the elder princesses and their husbands were settling in for the night. Discord was in his and Fluttershy's apartment propped on the couch while flipping channels through a large magic mirror he had to watch Equestrian events.

"Too boring… Too gory… Too game showy…" Then he passed a channel that sparked his interest, "Wait… was that Scoots and Apple Bloom?" he flipped the channel back and sure enough, they were all dressed up and in a ballroom full of other ponies. "Fluttershy! Come quick!"

"What is it?"

"Look, it's that ball the girls were invited to!"

"That's wonderful, but don't you think we're intruding on their privacy?"

"Oh, no-no-no, we are merely observing. Besides, if this mirror were to show their rooms, then we'd be invading on their privacy."

"But it'll just show the ball?"

"Right."

"Oh, Rarity would be so happy if she got to see them in their gowns."

"Why don't you have them come over?"

"You won't mind?"

"We are technically all living under the same roof, so it doesn't really matter." he felt a big wet kiss on his cheek before she went towards the door acting so excited.

"Tell them to BYOB!"

"BYOB?"

"Bring Your Own Beverages."

"Okay…" and she gone out.

Moments later, they were all crowded either on the floor or the couch wearing PJs or bathrobes.

"I got popcorn!" Discord held out a giant bag full of the salt treats.

Both Cheese and Pinkie looked on with glee and had their popcorn bags at the ready. Once they were filled, Pinkie complained, "Hey, there's no butter on this!" Out of nowhere, a full stick of butter landed on top of her popcorn and she ate it.

There was chatter among them until Rainbow motioned, "Shush! I'm trying to hear!"

The group turned their attention back to the ball and Rarity was pleased to see her dresses fitting so well on the two, but frowned when she realized who was missing, "Where is Sweetie Belle?"

"I'm sure she's around there somewhere." said Twilight.

Fluttershy said, "It's such a lovely ballroom."

"Eh, you've seen one ballroom, you've seen them all." said Rainbow.

"I think they're about to start." Applejack noticed the band stopped playing and sure enough, the king and queen made their appearance along with the prince.

"Oh, so that's the prince that the princesses will be completing for." Rarity pointed, "I dare say, he is a handsome fellow, isn't he?"

"Indeed, it'll be harder for those princesses to want to leave at all." Fancy said.

"I pity the prince." said Soarin', "All those girls to choose from. That's going to be hard."

"Except… he's not going to make the choice…" Twilight reminded them.

They kept watching as they heard the king address the audience.

"Princesses of Equestria, you have been asked to compete for the right to marry my son. But tonight, we shall honor your presence and have you enjoy yourselves. But first, our court jester has prepared a number for you. Featherweight, if you will…"

"With pleasure, Your Highness!" Featherweight went on stage and grabbed up the microphone, telling the band, "And a-one, two, three!" the band began playing and just above the stairs were white mares with light purple manes, ranging from pegasus, unicorn, and earth pony, all wearing glittering gowns. Featherweight cued them, "Beauty and glamour and breeding unmatched…"

The band sang with him, "Princesses on parade…"

"Lovely, enthralling and all unattached… The hoi polloi and those well-bred agree… Each enjoy a royal pedigree…"

"Born for success!"

"Each possesses a spark… Each a remarkable maid! Boy, oh boy, these royal highnesses, all have pluses, they've no minuses, gaze upon these…"

"Princesses on parade!"

The page then took out a list and pointed to Princess Sunny Daze, "This princess comes from Coltchester, where corn and cotton grows… She plays croquet and the harpsichord and sews her own clothes! Aura isn't known to take the path of least resistance… She hails from south-east Rajacinch and came the farthest distance… Twist lives to help the world she finds no task too menial… and all other hopeful girls think she's the most congenial… Babs is from Strapgart, where our swords and armor is made!"

Featherweight took over, "Gaze upon…"

"Princesses on parade! This is the likely occasion… When the heir to the throne picks a wife…"

The ladies sang, "This may be the day when Prince Button will say…?"

Featherweight sang, "Where have you been all my life?"

"Brilliant, beguiling, the smiling brigade…"

"Princesses on parade!"

"Each the pride of her community… Each a golden opportunity!

"Just the thought that Crown Prince Button'll face his choice and he's hysterical!"

"Gaze upon… Heap praise upon…"

"These radiant, glamorous, luminous, dazzling…"

"Princesses on Parade!"

The band ended with a flourish and applause rang out. The only ones who didn't applaud were Button, Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, Pip, and Rumble. They were shocked at what just happened. They weren't the only ones, however, as miles away watching in the magic mirror, the princesses and their husbands were gaping.

"What was that?!" Rainbow flittered in the air.

"I have no idea." said Spike.

"I like it! It was so catchy!" Pinkie wiggled around.

"It was perfect for a party like that." agreed Cheese.

"A little over the top, but what the heck? It was amusing!" Discord chuckled.

"A disgrace, if you ask me," said Rarity, "Such formal occasions like that shouldn't be a showcase. They should be used for more… romantic settings…"

"I take it you're recalling our first dance in the magical kingdom, are you?" her husband deducted.

"Quite so…" she sighed dreamily.

That caused the other married couples to remember that special night as well. But their thoughts were interrupted when they saw the prince being swamped by princesses asking him for a dance.

Button felt very uncomfortable as most of the visiting princesses were crowding him and begging him to dance with one of them. The truth of the matter was that he didn't want to dance any of them but the girl he held in his heart. However, she needed the rest to make sure she was well. But then, he saw her, right on top of the staircase. Surely, he was just hallucinating, that it was just wishful thinking on his part that she would be here right now. But no, he wasn't; he could see other stallions turning their heads toward her. He couldn't blame them since she was a beauty, wearing a beautiful pink off-the-shoulder ball gown with a bright pink bow at the back and a tiara.

Jealously started consuming him as he could see the stallions were about to ask her for a dance. He had to get over there and fast. He made his way past the confused princesses, only for them to see his destination.

Sweetie Belle arrived down and saw him coming to her. She gave a small smile and started apologizing, "I'm sorry, I know you wanted me to-"

He merely stated, "Your timing couldn't have been more perfect… May I have this dance?" he bowed.

She curtsied in return, "Of course."

They took each other's hooves as they made it to the middle of the ballroom.

Sweetie started to notice the huge crowd gathering to watch them, "They must be all looking at you…"

"Believe me… they're looking at you…"

She blushed and heard the waltz playing.

Button moved her into a slow position and both began to move to the rhythm.

The onlookers included her sisters, who were smirking at the sweet scene before them. Back in Everfree castle, everyone else was smirking as well, but Rarity had to wipe away tears.

"How's that for romantic setting…?" Fancy whispered in her ear.

She simply nodded as she kept releasing tears. Her dear little sister had never looked more grown-up, especially in the arms of a prince.

"Hey, one can say she's the Belle of the ball. Get it?" Discord joked.

But his audience just groaned or rolled their eyes.

"Nevertheless," said Twilight, "Sweetie Belle is the prince's catch. No doubt she'll be his favorite to win the contest."

"But look at their eyes," Fluttershy noticed, "They look so deeply in love…" she stared into her own lover's eyes and saw the same love that Sweetie and the prince were sharing right now.

The waltz had ended quicker than they thought, but they just kept staring into each other's eyes. The band took a break and the crowd departed to go about their business. Button whispered to her, "Come with me…" he held her hoof and started taking her to a glass door leading to the gardens.

"Ooh, I wonder what they're going to do out there?" Discord grinned.

The others looked on with eagerness until suddenly, the channel was changed, causing a huge groan.

Twilight held the remote by using her magic and stated, "I think they would like to be alone now…"

"Oh, but it was getting to the good part!" Pinkie whined.

"We've seen more than enough. We can't play big sister or brother forever. Those girls are growing up and we have to accept that. And by doing that, we will respect their privacy of having a possible romantic relationship."

"You're right, Twi." Applejack nodded.

Most of the sisters and husbands did random agreements; Fluttershy, however, saw that her husband wasn't agreeing.

Eyeing him, she gave a warning tone, "Discord…"

"Sure, I'll leave them alone when it comes to romance, but shouldn't one of us-and by us I mean me-make sure that Sweetie Belle passes those tests? It is obvious she has a thing for the prince and would like to have him."

The others pondered on this and looked at Twilight, who was very deep in thought.

"…I don't like cheating… but Mother did give the mission to the girls so they would help find the one that the prince could love, but clearly, he loves Sweetie and Sweetie loves him… We will see if she can pass the tests on her own first, but if she feels she can't, then you will let me know immediately so we can all figure out a plan to help her out."

"Fine… as you wish…" he grumbled.

On that note, they said their good-nights and went out of the apartment and Fluttershy closed the door behind them. She yawned and fluttered to her love.

"I'm going to bed now, join me?"

"In a minute," he kissed her forehead, "I just got to take care of something first."

"Don't be too long…" she flew to the next room.

"Oh, I won't be." he assured her as he snapped his fingers.

In the room Sweetie was staying in, a single silver hand mirror appeared in the trunk.

The gardens were lovely at this time of night. Above them, a full moon was illuminating. Sweetie knew exactly who to thank for the beautiful night. Button led her to a fountain as they sat on the base of it.

"This was always one of my favorite spots to go as a kid…" he told her, "I never shared it with anybody…until now…"

"That's so sweet…" she went pink.

"It's as sweet as you are…" he touched her chin.

She giggled.

Back inside the ballroom, the band resumed playing. That got Scootaloo thinking as she watched every pony else dancing. She glanced at Rumble, grabbed his hoof, and took him out on the dance floor.

Confused, he said, "What are we doing?"

"It's called dancing, you goof."

"Oh, I'm aware it's dancing, just why me?"

"Well, why not? And if you feel you can't dance, I'd be glad to give you lessons." she mischievously grinned.

"Thanks, but…" Unexpectedly, he twirled her around and dipped her. He smirked at her surprised look, "I don't need it."

"Okay, since when does a thief know how to dance?"

"Oh, you'd be amazed of much you can learn just by watching." he twirled her again.

Apple Bloom saw the happy couple dancing away and looked over to Pip as he was eating cake. She wanted to dance with him, but then he would know her greatest shame of not being able to dance. She would be tripping all over his hooves. She grimaced at the thought and continued to watch the dancers.

Pip wiped his mouth as he saw Apple Bloom sighing at the noble colts dancing with fair ladies of the court. He should ask her to a dance, but he had no idea how to. Growing up in a small town never gave him much opportunity to learn how. She sighed again and he finally decided, Oh, what the hay…

He cleared his throat and bowed politely, "Shall we dance?"

"I… I can't…" she lowered her head.

"What's wrong?"

"I have four left hooves! I can't dance as gracefully as Scootaloo and Sweetie or my other sisters!" she slouched in despair.

He gave her a small smile, "If it makes you feel any better, I don't know how to dance at all."

"You… don't?"

"Nope, never had a chance to try before."

She did a small laugh, "Well, maybe there's something we can do besides dancing."

"Hmm…" he thought it over and saw artworks across the room with nobles admiring the artistic talent, "How do you feel about paintings?"

"Paintings?"

He pointed over to the large paintings.

"Oh…" she slowly went over as if entranced to look at a painting of a landscape that had a waterfall with bright plants surrounding it.

"You like that one?" he asked her.

"Uh-huh," she nodded, "It's so pretty."

"I can see why. It's so vividly detailed. The artist made it seem that the water is really flowing down and the texture on the flowers and the shrubs are brightly colored."

"How do you know that?"

"Growing up in the inn, you encounter a few painters trying to make their way up. I've seen them paint and they taught me what makes a good painting."

"Could you teach me?"

"You paint?"

"A little. I don't think I'm good, but my family has said otherwise."

"I'd like to see what you do in your paintings."

"I don't have an example with me, but I could paint one up."

"Alright, you show me a painting of your finest work and I can give you advice on what could be done to make it better."

"Thanks, but… what can I paint?"

"I'm sure we can find some ideas around here." they started going around the ballroom.

Sweetie Belle and Button started walking around the gardens.

"You must know I never wanted this contest to happen." he said.

"Did you have any say in it at all?"

"No, and neither did my dad. It was all Mom's idea."

"Did she tell you why?"

"She thinks I need a princess to help me rule the kingdom someday."

"Well… I guess that makes sense… but why not a princess you can love?"

"I have no clue as to why she's against that, but it's not fair! I'm old enough to know to what I want!"

"And what do you want?"

He faced her with big eyes, "Freedom…"

"Freedom? But you're the prince! You can do anything you want!"

"You would think so, but as heir, I can't even leave this kingdom."

"Wait… you never have been off of this island?!"

"Yup."

She gawked for a bit before shaking out of it.

"I've seen ponies come and go from this place, but I never go anywhere…"

Her heart went out to him; she knew the feeling of having a lack of freedom. When she was a maid in the Canterlot castle, she hardly had any free time since she had to work nonstop to make sure she stayed in the castle to live there. It wasn't until her adoptive parents took her in that she had more freedom than ever, but of course, she had royal duties and studies since then. Despite that, she had free time whenever she needed it, but that was different compared to Button's royal life. He was practically a prisoner!

Then she heard him say, "Don't get me wrong, I love Marendelle, but when you live here for sixteen years, it gets pretty boring."

"I bet." she agreed.

"Would you like me to show you around? I know every inch of the island!"

"Sure! Can I bring Scootaloo and Apple Bloom?"

"Sure you can."

"But we'll need to bring Pip and Rumble, too."

"That's okay. They seem pretty cool and they're your personal escorts, right?"

"Well… Pip is, Rumble's…"

"What?"

"It's a bit of a long story."

"We got time."

They kept on walking as she retold the tale.

From back inside the party, Apple Bloom and Pip were still figuring out what Bloom could paint when suddenly, she stopped.

"What? What is it?" Pip questioned, seeing the expression on her face.

"It was so obvious!"

"Obvious?"

"You!"

"Me?"

"I could easily paint you!"

"By all means, then, go ahead."

"But you're going to have to model for me, because I can't work without the proper guideline."

"Oh, how long would it take you?"

"A couple of hours, at most."

"Oh… Well, I'm game."

"Oh, thank you!" she hugged him, which caused a huge blush to spread across his cheeks. Realizing what she was doing, she quickly pulled back. A blush was across her face, too, "Sorry… about that…"

"It's… fine. It's fine, don't worry about it."

The two ended up smiling and gazing at each other until Scoots came between them.

"Come on! They're calling for all the princesses!" she grabbed Apple Bloom's arm, dragging her away.

Belle and Button got back inside just in time to see the princesses lining up on stage. Sweetie got behind her sisters.

The king spoke again, "And here are all the eligible princesses that have come far and near for the contest!"

The audience applauded out loud.

"My wife and I wish you good luck and may the best princess win!"

Diamond said under her breath, "Which will be me…"

Sweetie realized then that she was going to have to fight for Button, I know I've only known him for a day, but we really like each other's company… as if we already knew each other somehow… That's when she remembered her strange dreams, His voice… Gasp! It's the same as the voice that keeps calling to me! It's him! It's really him! I'm going to win this… for his freedom! She looked at him as he was looking at her, I promise you, Button, I'm going to pass those tests!

Author's Note:

My Christmas present to all of you! Hope you enjoyed it, cause I won't be able to update till next week. Happy Holidays!