• Published 3rd Dec 2014
  • 3,938 Views, 248 Comments

Sweet Pea - CartoonNerd12



The spin-off to The Midnight Dance starring the CMC as they take a journey to an island kingdom to face challeges that lie ahead

  • ...
4
 248
 3,938

Chapter 1

Sweetie Belle slept in her huge canopy bed while the door to her room slowly opened as eight figures entered the room, casting their shadows on the floor. Sweetie moaned out of her sleep and saw a pink pony in her face, which woke her up with a start as she screamed her head off.

"Surprise!" a large outcry said and the lights were turned on as she could see all of her sisters around her bed.

She gasped as she smiled widely, "You're here! But… I thought you said in your letter you wouldn't be able to make it to my birthday party?"

"Oh, Sugar Cube, we only said that so you could be surprised." answered Applejack.

"Were you?!" Pinkie gleefully asked.

"Was I ever!"

"Now why would we ever miss our little sister's sweet sixteen?" pointed Rarity, "Such an occasion must be celebrated!"

"But what about-"

"They're downstairs, waiting for you." said Twilight.

Sweetie got out of bed as her long pink and purple mane flowed down to her shoulders. She looked at Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, who grew as well in the last six years since their adoption into the royal family. Apple Bloom had long red hair and didn't have her pink bow anymore; instead, she had pigtails. Scootaloo's mane grew, too, and all three of them had gotten their cutie marks shortly after they became princesses.

She walked towards the door and went out to the stairway overlooking above the lower level. There stood her parents and her brothers-in-laws. All of them shouted, "Happy Birthday, Sweetie Belle!"

Her cheeks flushed, "Oh, my gosh…"

"See?" Scootaloo wrapped her arm around her, "Jut like my and AB's sixteen birthday with every pony showing up!"

They walked down the steps with Celestia and Sombra hugging her.

"Happy birthday, my darling…" smiled her mother.

"And may you have many more to come…" said her father.

"Thank you… thank you… this is all I could ever want!"

"Oh, really?" motioned Discord, "Not even chocolate covered pancakes with whipped cream on top?!"

"Mmm!" both Pinkie and Cheese drooled to the treat and nearly pounced for it, were it not for Discord keeping it out of their reach.

"Not for you two!" they whined in response, "This is for the birthday girl…" He conjured up a single candle that was glowing on the stack towards her.

Sweetie looked at it in confusion and said, "But don't you normally make a wish on the cake?"

"Sure! But this is more fun! And why wait?! Make a wish!"

Fluttershy couldn't help but giggle and went to him, "I think Sweetie would rather have a more traditional birthday…"

"Actually, I do. Thanks anyway, Discord, but you can always liven the party if it gets too dull." she winked, causing him to grin mischievously.

"So what are we waiting for?!" Pinkie jumped, "Let's party!"

Pinkie and Cheese led the family into the ballroom, which was already decorated for the party. The party was in full swing as it started off with the sisters giving Sweetie Belle their traditional birthday dance.

Twilight started the song, "Today it is your birthday and we sing to let you know that you will be queen for the day whatever you say goes…"

The sisters sang and danced around Sweetie, "We spin for you, Sweetie Belle and chasse for you, we pirouette for you and we bow before the queen! We sing because we love you and sing to let you know that you will be queen for the day, whatever you say goes!" they stopped and bowed before her as the room clapped in unison.

Sweetie Belle smiled brightly as she looked around her surroundings. In her mind, she knew this was the happiest she had felt in a very long time. She could vaguely remember a time she was happy like this… She had just turned eight years old and her real mother and father were celebrating with her. Sweetie figured nothing could go wrong… but alas, it wasn't so. Her father passed away from illness and her mother needed to find some way to take care of herself and her child. So she was employed into the castle as another servant with Sweetie helping her, but then her mother must have caught the same illness her father had and Sweetie Belle was on her own.

If Rarity hadn't taken notice of her, who knew where Sweetie would be now instead of with a new family? Luckily, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were also kids who had to work in the castle in order to live there. They were her only friends at the time before they became sisters. Then came that miraculous day when the princesses were back and with their father, King Sombra. Applejack had the idea of presenting the kids to her parents with Rarity and Rainbow Dash's help. And just like that, the king and queen took them in as their new daughters to raise.

Sweetie Belle never wanted things to change.

In a kingdom off of Horseshoe Bay, a prince was despising a change that was about to happen to him.

"But, Mom!"

"No buts, Button! You are getting married and that's final!"

"All those girls…are coming here?!"

"Princesses, Button, princesses, not just girls…"

"I won't do it!"

"Sweetheart, you need a princess to help you rule the kingdom someday… and this is the best way to determine who that princess can be…"

"Except it's going to take a lot of messengers to deliver the letters before my birthday next month."

"The messagers were already sent out a week ago. We'll all be seeing princesses by the end of the week."

"What?! How could you've not told me this?!"

"I knew you would have found a way to stop them, so it was kept secret until I knew it was time to tell you the news."

Button could only face-palmed and rubbed his temples, "Mom… would it hurt you to ask me what I want for a change?"

"Yes, it would, in fact."

He slack-jawed, at a loss for words, and grunted out of frustration before stomping his way out the throne room. He made his way to his castle's gym, which had swords at the ready and practice dummies. He picked one up in his mouth and started going for the dummy until another sword stopped him and he saw Featherweight in his usual jester get-up.

"Featherweight…" he mumbled and dropped his sword. Featherweight did the same as the prince said, "I told you, I'm not about to swordfight with you for fear you might get hurt."

"Aw, come on, Button Mash! I can do it!" he started to spar and ended up hitting his eye, causing a black eye.

"See? That's what I mean. You're too accident-prone!"

"Snips and Sails are on the knight's circuit and they're way more accident-prone than I am!"

"And that's why they don't get assigned the really dangerous missions."

"While I'm stuck here telling jokes and playing the fool to the royal family…"

Button started laughing uncontrollably, "You're the fool?! I'm the one who has to get married before his next birthday at his mother's request! I can't even tell her how I feel without getting criticized! Is that all I am ever going to be? A prince who can't speak up to his own mother? Who am I? Me, who am I? A far-from-perfect guy… A bum who wants to do what's right but often does what's wrong… A kid who's voice is way off key but loves to sing a song… A guy who dreams like a lion but wakes up like a lamb! Me, who am I? But the guy I am, that's who'm I am!"

He started going around his castle with Featherweight and his servants started singing around, "His Royal Highness, Button Mash! Slayer of dragons! Pitiless to ogres! Destroyer of griffins and giants! No friend to gargoyles! Nice to the needy… Sportsman and poet… A guy who dreams like a lion but wakes up like a lamb!"

"Me, who am I but the guy I am…"

"He's our hero! Such perfection! He's the kind of guy who we'd all like to be! What's the use of self-reflection? Church bells will ring when you are king! Ponies will sing… There is no one quite like…"

(Overlap)

"Me, who am I? A far from perfect guy… A jerk who wants to do what's right but often does what's wrong… A drip who's voice is way off key… but loves to sing a song… A dope who dreams like a lion but wakes up like a lamb! Me, who am I? But the guy I am! That's who'm I! That's who'm I!"

"His Royal Highness, Button Mash! Slayer of dragons! Pitiless to ogres! Destroyer of griffins and giants! No friend to gargoyles! Nice to the needy! Sportsman and poet! Swordsman, statesman, Nifty dancer, sailor of oceans, surveyor of the mountains and valleys! He's a prince! What a guy! What a guy! What a guy! What a guy! He's a plain and simple complicated fascinating guy! What a guy!"

All of them finished, "Ha!"

Button could only slump in misery.

Back at the Canterlot castle, the party was still going on with Sweetie Belle talking to each of her sisters.

"So how far long are you?" she asked Rarity.

"Two months, and Dignity is excited for a new baby brother or sister."

"Where is he, anyway?"

"Home. He is very young, after all, and I couldn't risk him ruining your special day…"

"Oh, that's okay. It's not his fault he's only three years old."

"Which is why I left Fire Spark at home, too." Twilight pointed out, "You know how hard is it to keep up with a hyperactive colt?"

"Yeah, Whirl Wind's like that, too." said Rainbow.

"My little Cotton Candy is sweet and hyper; it's hard getting up at night just to feed her." Pinkie mentioned.

"Oh, I can't wait for my little one to arrive…" Fluttershy touched her stomach.

"Me, too." Applejack did the same and Apple Bloom reached over to feel the baby kicking.

Scootaloo asked Dash, "Are you going to have another one?"

"Not any time soon. Whirl's got me and Soarin' pretty beat."

"So all of them are back in Pony-Ville?"

"Ever since we rebuilt Mother and Aunt Luna's castle in the Everfree Forest, we have been pretty busy keeping track of the kids." Twilight explained.

"We all have our own private apartments in the castle as if we all had our own place." said Rarity.

"We have nursemaids helping out, but we also like to take care of the kids' ourselves." said Rainbow.

"But we knew you would want us here for your birthday, so we had them taking care of them while we were gone!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"Luckily, Applejack and I didn't have to worry about that." said Fluttershy.

"Since we won't be new mothers for a while."

"Discord can't wait."

"Neither can Spike, although he did faint when I told him we was expecting. So, what's new with you three?"

"Oh, yes," Rarity smirked, "Any… beaus?"

"What?!" all three yelled in surprise, "No!"

"Not me. I'm staying single forever!" Scootaloo declared.

"The right guy hasn't come along for me…" Apple Bloom sighed.

"And… I don't think any guy would be interested in me…" Sweetie confessed.

"That's insane!" Applejack shouted.

"Any guy would be lucky to have you…" Rarity comforted.

"You really think so?"

The sisters nodded then they heard a glass tap and turned to see their father magically holding a drink and spoon. He said, "I was thinking at this time that our birthday girl should sing a song to express how talented she is."

Sweetie started to blush as the princesses and their husbands started egging her on. The sisters that did finally convince her were Scoots and Apple Bloom. She took a breath and made a gesture for them to stop. She went on the stage and had the band playing as she started singing into the microphone.

"Dreams to dream… in the dark of the night… When the world goes wrong… I can still make it right… I can see so far in my dreams… I'll follow my dreams until they come true… Come with me… you will see what I mean… There's a world inside… No one else ever sees… You will go so far in my dreams… Somewhere in my dreams… Your dreams will come true… There is a star waiting to guide us, shining inside us… When we close our eyes! Don't let go, if you stay close to me! In my dreams tonight… You will see what I see… Dreams to dream… As near as can be… Inside you and me… They always come… true…"

Applause rang out, though Discord did a whistle and Pinkie and Cheese were throwing roses to her.

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were proud of their little sis and knew she deserved this moment. Scootaloo then heard a commotion coming from the hallway and two guards rushing in to her folks.

A guard stated, "Forgive us for interrupting, Your Majesties, but there's trouble on the main street of Canterlot…"

"Very good," said Sombra, "We'll look into it."

"Hey, Dad!" Scootaloo went over, "Maybe I should go, since you know that Sweetie will want the two of you to stay for the party."

"Are you sure?" Celestia questioned.

"Pffh, I'll be fine. After all, no one can catch me on my scooter!" she ran out of room.

Moments later, Scootaloo was speeding on her scooter and wearing her helmet. The guards were right behind her trying to keep up. She screeched to a halt when she saw the problem.

A dark figure was stealing from vendors and was flying by. Scootaloo spread out her own wings. She remembered that not too long ago, her wings were so short that she could hardly fly with them. Luckily, as she grew, her wings did too and she became one of the best flyers in Canterlot thanks to her sister, Rainbow Dash. She flew past the vendors who got robbed and ducked into an ally to get ahead of the mysterious figure. She stopped to see the thing coming and grabbed a flying pan from a nearby store. Once the figure had gotten closer, she hurled the pan at him and it clanged in his face, knocking him down.

Once she got a good look at the thief, Scootaloo couldn't believe her eyes. It was a pegasus stallion with hair black as the night, a coat as grey as a storm cloud about to thunder. He groaned from being hit and opened his eyes. To Scoot, they were a grayish purple, just like the sky at predawn. Then she thought, Why am I even thinking this way? He's a criminal!

The stallion could see before him a mare staring hardly down at him as a light was reflecting off of her. "Whoa… Hello… Who do we have here?" he smirked as her smothering violet eyes were burning into his soul.

She scoffed, "Don't flatter yourself. Now who are you?!"

"Rumble. Name's Rumble. So, who are you and what made you think a frying pan could stop me?"

"Well, it worked, didn't it?"

"True, but… not for long, so if you'll forgive me."

"For what?"

He lunged at her and their positions were reversed.

"That."

"Let me go!"

"Not until I get a name… So, who are you?"

She sighed in defeat, "Scootaloo."

"Scootaloo? Princess Scootaloo? Huh, isn't this a bit out of your league, princess?"

"Arrgh!" she pushed him back and they faced each other, "I'm more than just a princess…"

"Right…" he skeptically said, "If you'll excuse me, Your Highness, but I must be going now." he started to move past her, but she blocked him.

"I don't think so, pal! You are a thief, so you have to pay for your crimes!"

"Do you think I like stealing?! Here, see for yourself what I stole!" he threw the satchel to her.

She opened it to see bread, fruits, and veggies. She was amazed and asked, "Food? Just food?"

"Well, I can't go hungry, now can I?!"

"No, I suppose not… but it's still wrong…"

"You're going to have me arrested, aren't you?"

"I don't have a choice."

"Then, I'm afraid we've reached a confrontation. I didn't want to have to do this…"

"What are you-" Before she knew it, he grabbed for the frying pan and threw it to two trash cans close to her. The garbage landed on top of her as he made his getaway with the satchel. "Yuck!" she exclaimed. She saw him flying away and shouted out, "Oh, it is on! It is so on!"

The guards came to help her out of the trash pile, from which she started to reek and had bits of garbage on her, even a banana peel on her head.

"Will you be alright, Your Highness?" the guard asked.

"Fine… I just need a shower… Make sure you surround the city and if you find him, bring him to me."

"As you wish." They gave the command to the other guards.

Scootaloo did a quick look back before heading back to the palace. Unbeknownst to her, Rumble was watching her from a roof-top. He said to himself, "What made you think she would be different from the rest…? Of course she had to be the princess… She would never understand what you're going through… Riffraff, street rat… I don't buy that… If only they'd look closer… Would they see a poor boy…? No, siree… They'd find out… There's so much more… to me…" He took the bread out, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to eat it now.