• Published 1st Dec 2014
  • 1,449 Views, 31 Comments

LEGO Equestria Girls: Short Stories - Chronicler06



A few (not so) ordinary events happen not long after Princess Twilight leaves the Lego World.

  • ...
3
 31
 1,449

Build That Barn

Build That Barn

Today was another day in the lives of the Creative Mark Crusaders — three little girls named Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. These three kids were going to make yet another attempt to find their creative talents, which was identified by a symbol known as a creative mark. In the Lego World, these symbols were not physical marks, but rather images that would appear within one’s mind upon discovering one’s unique style of creativity. But contrary to the standard advice, these three friends didn’t want to just wait for their creative marks to eventually appear, and were willing to try just about anything they could think of to make it happen as quickly as possible.

The fields of Sweet Apple Acres were an ideal place for these girls to try out all kinds of wacky ideas. The wide open spaces allowed them to try things that would otherwise cause a lot of disruption and mayhem within a crowded city. And today’s attempt was about to be a perfect demonstration of that reason.

“Are you sure this is such a good idea?” asked Sweetie Belle uncertainly as she and Apple Bloom watched with worried looks on their faces.

Scootaloo dismissively waved her hand and excitedly replied, “C’mon! I’m about to break a land speed record by attaching a couple of rockets to my scooter!” She gestured down at her scooter, to which she had just attached a pair of cylindrical pieces, which had translucent orange round pieces attached to their back ends. “What could possibly go wrong?”

“Ah can think of a lot of possibilities,” replied Apple Bloom uneasily. “But if ya really wanna do this… Ah ain’t gonna stop ya.”

Sweetie Belle glanced over at Apple Bloom in mild shock. Although they both agreed that this was probably a bad idea, Apple Bloom was choosing not to intervene. Sweetie could only look down sadly and think, Why am I always the only one who doesn’t want to do something dangerous?

Now that the small rockets were attached, Scootaloo chuckled excitedly as she set down her scooter upright and hopped on. She grasped the handlebars with one hand while the other held the switch that would ignite the rockets. “Prepare for blast-off!” she shouted.

Both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom responded by covering their ears and taking many steps back. Their nervous expressions were in total contrast to Scootaloo’s huge grin of excitement.

Scootaloo held up the switch as she shouted, “Firing in three! Two! One! GO!!!” She triggered the switch and then quickly tossed it away. She could already hear the rockets roaring to life as she griped the handlebars with both hands. The adrenaline was pumping through her body so much, she felt like she could explode. She was about to go incredibly fast, and she was going to love it!

Finally, after a few seconds of warming up, the rockets fired at full force. The resulting acceleration to the scooter was so great, that it literally flew right out of Scootaloo’s hands and from under her feet, causing her to fall flat on her back as it flew off without her. She leaned forward to see her rocket-propelled scooter flying around uncontrollably. With her thrilled excitement now replaced with worried shock, she simply muttered, “Uh oh.”

Although the small rockets were able to provide a huge amount of speed, the scooter they were attached to was not designed for aerodynamics. This caused the unpredictable flying object to quickly change direction and began to head straight for the three girls.

“Look out!” screamed Sweetie Belle as she and Apple Bloom quickly threw themselves to the ground and put their arms over their heads. Within a split second, the scooter shot by just inches over their prone bodies.

Apple Bloom dared to glance up to see where that flying scooter was going next. She felt her heart skip a beat as she realized what its likely target was about to be. “No! Not the barn!” she shouted.

The girls could only watch helplessly as the rocket-propelled scooter plowed right into the side of the barn, smashing a big hole in the wall. Another similar-sized hole was smashed open just a split second later as the scooter came out the other side.

Desperate to make the best of what was clearly a bad situation, Scootaloo smiled uneasily and said, “That doesn’t seem so bad. We can just patch up those holes and pretend nothing happened.”

As if to taunt its owner, the scooter suddenly reversed course again and slammed into the barn again, punching two more large holes in its walls. The flying object then bounced off the ground and was launched back at the barn again. It continued to swerve and bounce around, always somehow managing to crash into the barn every time it changed direction, smashing more and more holes into the walls.

Finally, after shooting straight up and smashing a hole through the roof of the barn, the rockets ran out of power. The scooter arced through the air and landed on the ground near Scootaloo. A quick glance revealed that it was remarkably undamaged after its wild ride, which briefly made her smile.

Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the barn. The damage was so extensive that there was very little left holding the structure together. Soon, after a few tense seconds of creaking noises, the remainder of the barn completely collapsed into a pile of pieces.

The three kids stared in stunned silence at the pile that used to be a barn. For a moment, the only noise that could be heard was a light breeze.

The silence was finally broken by Sweetie Belle. “That’s not good,” she nervously stated.

Scootaloo quickly picked up her scooter and tore off the rockets. “Quick!” she exclaimed in slight panic. “Let’s get outta here before somebody finds out!”

“Too late.”

The Creative Mark Crusaders suddenly turned back to the source of that voice and were stunned to see Apple Bloom’s older sister, Applejack, standing there with a very displeased look on her face.

Applejack narrowed her eyes and firmly asked, “What happened?”

“It was an accident, I swear!” exclaimed Scootaloo fearfully as she tried to distance herself — and her scooter — from the discarded rockets as much as possible.

This didn’t escape Applejack’s attention. She picked up one of the spent rockets and exclaimed, “Y’all were playin’ with rockets?!”

Scootaloo said nothing in response. She just looked down at the ground in shame, as did her two friends.

“I told you this wasn’t such a good idea,” mumbled Sweetie Belle, barely loud enough for anyone to hear.

Applejack let out an exasperated sigh and tossed the used rocket away. She briefly glanced back at the pile of pieces on the site of the old barn, then turned her attention back to the little girls. She took a slow deep breath to relax herself and calmly said, “Why don’t you three run along an’ do some of your ‘crusading’ or whatever somewhere else? Ah gotta get to work on rebuildin’ that barn.”

Knowing what her older sister had to do first, Apple Bloom figured that she could avoid getting in much trouble for this incident if she made herself useful, so she immediately said, “Don’t worry, sis. Ah’ll get the instructions.”

“That ain’t gonna be necessary,” said Applejack in response as she turned away and began walking up to the pile.

“Huh?” asked all three of the Creative Mark Crusaders simultaneously. Applejack’s sudden request left them very confused. If she wanted to rebuild that barn, then why would she not want the instructions needed to get it done right?

Apple Bloom — soon followed by her two friends — quickly ran up to her sister. “What do ya mean by that?” she asked in confusion.

“Ah’ve been thinkin’ of givin’ this ol’ barn a few upgrades, recently,” explained Applejack as she stopped right in front of the pile. She picked up a random piece and continued, “Seein’ as the whole thing’s now in pieces, Ah suppose now’s as good a time as any to get it done.”

“Upgrades?” asked Sweetie Belle, raising an eyebrow in confusion. “Like what?”

Applejack smiled and simply answered, “Oh, Ah’ve got a few ideas.” Without any further explanation, she jumped onto the pile and quickly went to work. She started by building the outer walls in large sections and, once those sections were complete, slamming them into place. Once the main doors were finished, she moved on to the hay loft and other interior areas. Finally, she finished with the roof, which she built entirely in one large chunk before slamming the whole thing on top of the newly rebuilt barn.

The Creative Mark Crusaders just watched the entire quick assembly with eyes wide in astonishment. None of them had ever seen Applejack do any building like that before. Even more amazing was that, as she was building, her appearance seemed to have changed. She had suddenly gained pony-like ears and much longer hair at the back. The three girls were left speechless at what they were witnessing.

Once she placed the final pieces atop the roof, Applejack jumped off and landed on the ground in front of the main doors. She briefly removed her hat and wiped her brow as she admired her creation. “Ah gotta admit, there sure ain’t no better way to build somethin’ right than to do it from scratch,” she remarked.

“Whoa…” said Scootaloo as she and her friends continued to stare at the barn and Applejack in wonder. “That was awesome!”

“Did you really just build all of that by yourself?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Sure did!” answered Applejack with pride. “See these doors?” She opened one of the big double doors and pointed at the hinge side of it. “Ah managed to reinforce the hinges, so no more worryin’ about accidentally yankin’ ‘em off.” She shut the door and then pointed up at a pulley hanging over the window to the hay loft. “An’ that pulley up there? The ol’ pull rope now leads to this here winch Ah just added.” That winch had a hand crank on the side, so it wasn’t exactly a major upgrade, but it was still enough to make an improvement. “All in all, Ah’d call it a job well done!”

“That’s some mighty fine work there, sis,” praised Apple Bloom. Her smile faded as she raised an eyebrow in confusion and added, “Ah guess that just leaves one question. Why do ya suddenly look like some kinda half-pony?”

Now it was Applejack’s turn to have a confused look on her face and ask, “Huh?” She looked down at herself, quickly moving her head around side to side, which allowed her to notice the longer hair. She then brought her hands up to her head and felt the pony ears. “How’d that happen? Ah haven’t had this look since Twilight of Equestria was here.” As soon as she finished that statement, the alterations vanished, returning her appearance to a normal minifig.

“I don’t know what that was, but it happened as soon as you started building,” answered Sweetie Belle.

Applejack tapped her chin thoughtfully as she considered what that could mean. Ah wonder if the same kinda thing has been happenin’ to mah friends, lately, she thought.

“So, uh… are we still gonna get in trouble for smashing that barn?” asked Scootaloo uneasily.

Applejack glanced down at the girls, then back at the rebuilt barn. Although they had done something practically insane, she had to admit that the incident had allowed her to discover something new about herself. After some careful thinking, she answered, “Ah’ll let it slide by just this once. Just make sure it don’t happen again. Got it?”

“We promise,” replied the Creative Mark Crusaders as one.

Applejack nodded in acceptance before turning away and leaving to resume her daily chores.

“Well that turned out better than Ah expected,” remarked Apple Bloom optimistically.

“Yeah!” agreed Scootaloo with a smile on her face. “We should break stuff more often!”

Applejack immediately turned back to the Creative Mark Crusaders and warned, “Don’t get any ideas!”

The three girls simultaneously lowered their heads in shame and said, “Sorry.”

Author's Note:

I wanted to come up with a reasonable explanation for why the people of this Lego World have the same symbols as their pony counterparts, so I came up with the concept of "creative marks". I had already explained this concept in my other short story, LEGO Equestria Girls: Derpy's Day, but considering the small number of views it currently has, I have to assume that most readers here didn't know that, so I decided to quickly explain it again here. In any case, at least it's better than the so-far no explanation for the Equestria Girls world.