• Published 1st Dec 2014
  • 327 Views, 3 Comments

Secrets in the Shadows - Moon Solace



The journey of an earth pony to find out who he is meant to be.

  • ...
 3
 327

Chapter 7

Rainbow Dash and I slowly trotted through the mountains, my crying leg settled down some from the strike but was still reminding me it was there, I was limping slightly as we made it back into the forest, the leaves on the trees were already scattered across the ground, creating a vibrant path of colorful autumn leaves. I looked over at Rainbow who was looking ahead, deep in thought.

“Hey Solace”, Rainbow said.

“Yea Rainbow?”

“I'm really sorry about what happened, if only I released my wings before then you wouldn't need to risk your life to save mine.” Rainbow started tearing up, feeling ashamed that she allowed somepony else to get hurt.

“Hey, don't worry about it, sometimes it's okay to let others help you.” I tried to comfort her self-downfall, although that didn't seem to help.

“Yea but, I don't leave other ponies behind like that, it's not in my nature”, Rainbow argued.

“You did save me from getting stomped on, I consider that equal pay right there”, I replied smiling, “Sometimes, you need to allow others to help you, even if you don't think they could.”

“Yea, I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.” Rainbow blushed some.

“Especially if it's a good book like Daring Do”, I joked.

“You think you'll be okay facing your dad?” the mare asked.

I nodded reassuringly, “I don't think he'll be yelling at me when I tell him I managed to obliterate a two ton rock with a rush of adrenalin.”

“Speaking of which, how did you do that, the only other pony I've seen capable of doing that is my friend's sister.”

I stopped, she was right. How in Celestia's name did I do that, unless my talent is smashing rocks (which I highly doubt) I shouldn't have been able to do that.

In response I shrugged, “Only the heavens above would know.”

“Oh! Speaking of my friend.” Rainbow and I looked up, seeing a huge, pink, hot air balloon, she waved her hooves in the air as the vessel floated down, revealing a bright pink earth pony popping out of the balloon.

“Hey Dashie what's up?” the pink one said.

“Solace here got hurt, I was wondering if we could get a ride.” Rainbow asked.

“You better not be using this as an advantage to beat Applejack.” the mare replied.

“Nah, I'm out of the race, we just need to get back to the starting line so we can get Solace's hoof fixed up.” By the sound of it, Rainbow was not pleased that she willing forfeited.

“Okie dokie lokie”, the earth pony said, “By the way, I'm Pinkie Pie.”

“Moon Solace”, I replied.

“Well, let's get you back Moonie.” Pinkie chirped.

“Moonie?”

“Pinkie comes up with a nickname of her own for her friends.”, a child like voice said, I turned around to see a small purple and green dragon.

“I just met her though, why would she think of me as a friend?” I asked, I would be geeking out about a tame dragon speaking to me, but I was in a lot of pain, and the nickname caught me off guard.

The baby dragon simply shrugged, “That's Pinkie for ya.”

We slowly drifted over the transforming forest as the trees went from Fall to Winter in the matter of minutes. I've always enjoyed watching the seasons change, but this felt so much more natural then how the unicorns did it, it felt like this was the Everfree instead of a hundred or so ponies galloping through a beaten path. After floating in the sky for several hours, we landed at the finish line (which was also the starting line conveniently), and Rainbow Dash and Pinkiepie assisted me out of the aircraft, I was still limping some as Celestia turned and swiftly walked up to our group, with Derpy and Rarity following behind. I was pleased that my friends came to support me, but something was off, very off.

“Excuse me princess, but where did my dad go?” I asked the goddess.

“Your mother sent a letter saying that it was urgent, your father flew off to your home as soon as he finished reading.”

Something didn't feel right, why would Dad ditch the princess to see Mom? Did he catch my rouse and was so angry that he left? No, that's not it, Mom said it was urgent. I looked off into the distance of where the mountain-side castle was, there was smoke coming from the middle.

“Oh, no.” I was speechless, “Pleased tell me that is a bonfire or something festive princess.”

“We didn't have anything of the sort scheduled today”, the princess replied. This only heightened my suspicion and fear.

“Princess, do you know a healing spell to fix my leg?” I asked.

“Yes, but why would you need a healing spell so quickly?”

“No time to explain, can you please heal it?”

The princess nodded as her horn glowed and lowered her head to heal my wounded hoof. The magic felt bright and pure, makes sense since she is the sun goddess. I gave my hoof a couple of taps to test the strength. Back in working order no surprise since Celestia healed it.

“I need a mode of transportation to get me home too. Pinkie's balloon is good, but it isn't fast enough.”

Celestia nodded as she flagged her two pegasus guards, they both came running and saluted as they stood in attention.

“I need you to take Moon Solace here to his home, something is troubling him and he needs to see if something is amiss.”

“Yes ma'am, we shall fly with the wind.” one of the guards replied.

“I'm coming with him”, Rainbow announced, “I'm not letting you go there by yourself.”

“I don't know Rainbow.....”, I replied, although I got the look of I'm-not-taking-no-for-an-answer from the blue pegasus.

“Okay Rainbow, you can come”, I sighed. She immediately took response to that and flew next to the chariot, ready to take off.

“Do you need me to come with you, my little pony?” Celestia asked, she looked concerned as well.

“Optimistically speaking, I should be fine”, I levitated my saddlebags onto my back, pulling the strap tightly.

“And if not optimistically speaking?”

“Then my current fears will lash at me and give me one hell of a beating.”

Celestia knew what I meant as she nodded.

“Okay Mr. Pegasus guards, let's get back to the mansion.”

We zoomed off towards the castle, every fear that latched a hold of me grew stronger as we approached my home. When we made it, every ounce of terror was confirmed, the entire estate was now a smoldering ash pit, with some astray flames here and there. All the marble pillars were now an ebony black and the library was nothing but burnt books and scorched shelves now. We landed and I broke into a sprint, making my legs carry me faster than they would allow.

“Mom?! Dad?!”, I was freaking out and I had good reasons, “Monocle?! Skillet?!”

My entire body went into a mental break-down as I collapsed and burst into tears, everypony that I cared about, dead.

“Solace....” a voice called out, “Solace, over here.....”

I followed the voice to it's location. I stopped on a dime to discover it was the very pony I was avoiding all day, my father.

“Dad”, I teared up, I was standing in front of my dying father, “I'm so sorry.”

“It's not your fault........ I should have allowed you out of the....... house a long time ago.....I just didn't want to see you risk your life for nothing.”

I stood there, I was still crying, my dad had finally let up just before he died, he must have wanted peace with himself for treating me like how he did.”

“Solace......take these........they shall answer as many questions as they contain......” my father held out a enchanted bag, it was scorched and singed but in good enough condition to hold the contents.

“Can you keep a promise.....?” he asked. I nodded as I sniffed up my pride and pulled as much of myself back together as I could.

“I need you to promise me......to protect everpony you care about......they will be your closest allies.”

Whimpering I chanted, “Cross my heart...Hope to fly.......Stick a cupcake in my eye.”

This promise, I'm going to keep to my own dying breath, I vowed not only to him, but myself, that I'll protect everypony I care about. Derpy, Rarity, Celestia, Luna, Pinkiepie I guess, and Rainbow Dash.

“Solace are you....” Rainbow ran up next to me and just like my reaction to the leveled area, she was speechless, “Solace, I'm so sorry.”

I ignored her, I was too lost in my own thoughts to think about anything else but the contents in the bag, eight silver gemstones, each labeled and numbered, along with a scrap of paper.

“These gemstones....will help you......” my father said as he drew his final breath. Solace Eclipse was no more, along with the rest of my family and caretakers.

Rainbow came back to her senses and looked at me, “Are you going to be okay?”

I wiped the tears from my face, “I need to find out what happened here, who started the fire, what my special talent is, and why I can't remember anything from when I got my cutie-mark.”


“Well then, I guess I got to help you make it to your goals, no pony should go alone”, Rainbow said confidently.

“Thanks Rainbow”, I smiled weakly, then I turned back to my deceased father,“I'll find residency in Ponyville where I'll continue my studies, and where I can keep my promises, to my parents, and to you.”

But the problem is, where would I live? I need somewhere to stay. I can't come back here, the idea of sleeping where my entire family and childhood friends died seems a bit disturbing and shameful.

All of a sudden, Rainbow embraced me in a hug, it caught me off guard, but it felt nice. It was like a lit candle in a dark room

“Um, Rainbow?” I looked at the mare with some disbelief.

“You'll figure this out, you and all of your friends.”

{-----}

It's been several weeks since the fire, the funeral was small, and Rainbow Dash and I were leaving the Shadow Wing crypt to see my parents being buried. I haven't gotten the chance to look at the gemstones that my dad gave me yet, I was still depressed that everything I knew simply disappeared off the face of Equestria, leaving nothing but a black scar on Canterlot. Thanks to Princess Twilight, I now live in a small house just on the edge of town, with the Everfree forest in view.

Rainbow and I walked into my home, it wasn't very big, but it was comfortable, it had two floors, the first floor for the kitchen, living room, and dining area, the second floor had a guest room, master bedroom, two bathrooms, and a small office with a miniature library. We walked in and Rainbow flew over onto the couch I got from the store, for some reason the owner also sells quills along with couches.

“Are you sure you're going to be okay Solace?” Rainbow asked once again. This was the twelfth time she's asked.

“Don't worry Rainbow, I'll be fine.” I replied grabbing an apple from a basket that Applejack brought from her farm as a gift.

Rainbow walked over to the table and grabbed the bag that contained the heirlooms.

“Well I think you should start that journey of yours”, Rainbow grabbed the bag containing the gemstones, “and I have a feeling your story starts there.”

I looked at Rainbow, then at the bag, she had a point, I've spent enough time being depressed and I think RD is getting sick of seeing me like this. Using my magic I levitated the bag towards me, I went through it and grabbed the scrape of paper.

My son,

There is much I need to tell you about your family's history, although I wasn't able to make enough Soul Crystals to tell you everything. These crystals are very special, they contain the souls of several family ancestors,(not including your grandfather) they shall guide you on where to find the information you need. You are a very special pony that made me and your mother very proud to call 'son'. Even though we have made the mistake of keeping you in this mansion, we do care about you. You remind me of when I was young, loyal, stubborn, clever, and a thrill seeker (yes I knew it was you in the Ditsy Do disguise, your eyes still had some stars inside the pupils). I know that I have missed many of your birthdays, and hearth warming gifts, but thanks to your mother's sacrific, I have contained her soul in the final crystal, although the stone is a bit cracked so you can only see her for a couple of minutes and only a few times before it breaks. Before you start on the crusade of your life, I have one thing to say, and it is the same thing that my father taught me. 'One's skill is not always about natural talent, but the determination of the pony'. I love you son, and I bet that your mother will say the same.

Love,

Your father, Solstice Eclipse.

P.S. To activate the gems, place the desired gem on the formula on the back and inject some magic into the gemstone.

Tears poured from my eyes, dripping onto the paper. My dad was a douche bag, he never cared about me, he with-held so many secrets from me that I didn't trust him. And now he wants to fix everything in the after life?

I turned over the paper to see an extremely complicated Lunar Spell Circle. Inside the ring where the moon phases go were a series of confusing runes, and instead of eight phases, there were sixteen. How in Luna's name are you supposed to have sixteen moon phases?

“Okay, here we go”, I grabbed the eighth Soul Crystal and placed it in the formula, “If I'm still here and I go limp or something Rainbow, make sure my body stays safe.”

Rainbow nodded, getting off of the couch and saluting.

I closed my eyes as I poured some magic into the gemstone. Everything around me melted into a world of stars, I was floating above a path of stars, I assumed that it was stable and I threw myself onto the path with a thud.

Yep, it's solid.

“Hello?” I called out, “Anypony here?”

“Solace?” a familiar voice called. I turned to see my mother, she was out of her overly extravagant retire, she looked so much better than when she wasn't wearing that blinding clothing.

“Mom!” I cried throwing myself into her hooves, “I've missed you so much.”

“I know Solace, your father wanted me to be with you whenever you felt alone, he didn't see himself as a very good influence as a father.”

“You weren't much better”, I giggled, although Mom gave me a good thump on the head.

“At least I didn't go crazy like your father when he learned that you were learning the Lunar spells.”

“He went crazy?”, I replied, rubbing my head from the newly forming lump, “Was it him that started the fire?”

“No, he was throwing things across our room, the fire didn't start until after I calmed him down.”

“So that means you don't know who did it.” I didn't like the sound of that.

“Solace, I know I wasn't a good mother, in fact I confess I was a horrible mother, but it doesn't mean I didn't love you. You are a talented stallion, you are capable to live your life instead of staying in that dusty old mansion.”

“Yea, but I didn't want to leave my home like this, I didn't want to see my family get burned alive. This isn't fair.”

“I know love, but the world isn't going to be fair sometimes, you just need to learn how to face with it.”

Gee Mom, thanks for the advice.

“Now, the spell is about to wear off, make sure you keep your promises, got it?”

“Wait how did you know about the promise I made to dad?”

“I might be stuck in a rock now, but it doesn't mean I don't know what's going on in the outside world. Before you go, I suggest on looking at the first crystal, you might find it useful.” Mom smirked as she and the rest of the world faded back into reality, and whoa did I feel light headed.

“Solace?” Rainbow asked.

“Sorry, got dizzy for a second there.” I said as I recollected myself from the dizziness.

“So who was in the crystal?”

“Mom....”

Rainbow Dash jumped off the couch, “Whoa whoa whoa, your mom, the one who is supposed to be dead, is in that crystal. That. Is. Awesome.”

“It came to me as a bit off a surprise as well.”

I explained to Rainbow how the crystals worked, and about how Mom's crystal is cracked.

“So what happens if it breaks?”

I sat there silent.

“Oh, I see. Well let's not let that distract us, did your mom say anything else?”

“Yea, she said to look at the first rock.” I reached into the bag and grabbed the gemstone that was labeled '#1' on it,“Remember, keep an eye on my body when I go in.”

Rainbow nodded once again as I cast the spell going into the next stone. Everything around me faded again, as I returned to the world of twilight.

“I wonder who I'm meeting here?” I asked out loud.

That would be me.”

I turned around and saw a huge icy white and gray dragon. It looked friendly, but my reaction said otherwise.

“Sweet Luna! A dragon!” I scrambled onto my hooves and made a run for it. The dragon somehow managed to freeze me in mid-air, he turned me around to show me what's keeping me from moving. It was a Lunar Spell circle.

“Wait, how can you make one of those, you're not even a pony.”

I am Las-Mir, your grandfather and I shared the same body for a long time, we combined our forces to defeat the Corrupts.”

“Corrupts?”

Evil creatures that take the lives of ponies, when not possessing somepony, they are dark clouds of energy, feasting on those who have corrupted minds.”

“Wait, so you and the grandfather I have never seen, worked together to kill these things?”

That is correct.”

Okay, I need to know more about this guy who used to be my grandfather, he sounds awesome.

“So, what exactly is your role in fighting Corrupts?”

I became his blade, far more powerful than the spell sword he owned..”

Wow, a dragon that could become a humble sword. I wonder how that works.

“So, does this work with everypony?”

No...”

Damn it, I seriously wanted a dragon blade.

I met your grandfather while attempting to kill him actually.”

I stared at the dragon, not surprising that this reptile would try to kill him, “Okay, so how did you two become good friends?”

It was long ago, your grandfather was attempting to take down some Corrupts when he wandered into my cave, I was much younger then, and my anger had gotten the best of me on multiple occasions, after evaporating the dreaded things with a Flash Fire spell, I went after your father next, thinking that he was going to steal my gem collection that I have been hording for years. Your grandfather was faster than anything I have seen in my life, many other ponies called the move Flash Skip. I continued to claw at him, trying to slicing him into thin strips of skin, blood, and gore. Alas, I could not, he was too fast for my reactions and eventually defeated me. He came up, looked me in the eye, and nodded. 'For someone who knows the same magic as I, you fight like a champion', he said. I became honor bound as a dragon, to assist the earth pony and fight along side him, becoming his blade and extinguishing those horrible creatures.”

Yea, I really need to know more about my grandfather, he sounds like a badplot.

“Flash Skip.....” I told myself, sealing the word into my mind for future reference.

That spell is called a 'Spell of Birth', it is a spell that only one Shadow Wing knows, and can only be passed on by the same pony who owns it.”

Does that mean I have my own spell, that only I know?

“It is very likely, but you must learn the spells in your book, and stay alive in battle. Your ignorant friend, Rainbow Dash I believe she is called, can't be relied on all the time.”

My anger broiled at the comment, “Hey, watch it there Las-Mir, you don't want me leaving this gemstone and smashing it now do you? If I'm right, if the crystal breaks, you die, soul and all.”

“So the whelp knows his Soul Crystals, commendable to say the least. And it seems the child cares for the mare outside this world.”

I blushed, “She's my friend, why wouldn't I care about her.”

The dragon was not amused, “Well, if you ever need my help with learning Lunar Spells, feel free to come back.”

Wait, why did the dragon go from wise and friendly, to rude and annoying? Was he trying to learn about something?

I gave the dragon one last dirty look before the world around me returned to my home, I was on the ground, and I was light headed again.

“By Celestia's mercy, I think that's enough Soul Crystals for today.”

“Who was in that one?” Rainbow Dash asked, “You look like you lost an argument to a dragon.”

“That would be because I did lose an argument to a dragon.”

“What? How did your dad fit a dragon's soul into this little thing?” Rainbow grabbed the rock with her hoof and examined it closely, although it's kind of pointless.

“No idea, but I do know one thing for sure. I need to learn more about my grandfather.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Rainbow flew up into the air, excited to begin the adventure, “Come on, we got no time to spare.”

I grabbed Rainbow's tail with my levitation spell, yanking her back, “Actually, we aren't on a time stamp right now. We can get started tomorrow, but first, I need something to get rid of my headache and lingering depression. You know anypony that has something?”

“No, but I do know a zebra that can help.” Rainbow said as she raced off into the Evefree.

“Wait up Rainbow I can't run that fast!” I called running into the forest.

Author's Note:

Thanks to all who are reading my story, I'm currently working on chapter 8 but I have some other things to work on so the Chapters may not come out as often as they are now. Please have some patience and once again, thanks for reading. :)