• Published 30th Nov 2014
  • 3,270 Views, 166 Comments

My Little Rosey - Vinyl-ScratchDJ17



Sarah, a very depressed 16 year old, finds hope when someone, or something comes into her life.

  • ...
12
 166
 3,270

What now?

Sarah's P.O.V

I wake from my beautiful slumber to a bright monday morning. The sun shines in through the two windows, and birds are chirping in a nearby tree. I pull the covers off me, and I sit up to stretch my tired limbs, and muscles.I stretch out my arms as I let out a big yawn. I look around my small bedroom, where nothing has changed, but something just feels...different. I check the clock on the wall by the door, and it says 10:15 am. I always get up at nine, but an hour later? Meh. I just shrug it off, and I get up out of my bed. Maybe I should check on mother, she works all night, and sleeps during the day, so me and Rose never really get to spend any time with her anymore. I exit my room, and head right to mom's room. I open the door a crack, and I see her sleeping her cares away.

My head hurts so much. It's screaming for me to get back in bed, but I can't. Whenever I try to go back to sleep, I always fail. I'm used to this, cause I've dealt with it for at least four years now, so it's no big problem to me. I turn around, and head down to the opposite side of the hall to check on Rose. I can't help but smile due to the thought of seeing her sleeping like an angel. I get to the door, and I listen for a second, for the small whistle of her snoring. A few seconds go by to where I can't hear it, so I go in. I rub my eyes with my left hand to get rid of any goop or anything, as I walk up to the side of her bed. I look down to see her bed is unmade, and she isn't in it. Maybe she's up already. I suddenly get the feeling of needing to relieve myself of...number one.

After a quick trip to the bathroom, I head downstairs, hoping to see Rose on sitting on her favorite spot the couch, but she sin't there either. A wave of worry washes over me, that she may be gone! I'm rushed into a state of panic that my only daughter may be missing! Where could she be?! I quickly head to the dinning room, and not a sign of her presence is to be found. After the dinning room, I check her hiding spot under the sink in the kitchen when we play hide and seek. The thought of her being alone out there in this cruel world, starving, hurt...maybe even dead, gets me to start hyperventilating. I put a hand on my chest to try and slow my breathing, as I begin to feel dizzy from the extra oxygen rushing to my brain, when suddenly I remember. She's at school! Then my phone begins to ring. I look to see it's from the school so I answer it almost immediately, but...why are they calling?

"Hello?" I say as I answer the phone.

"Sarah?" The masculine voice asks.

"Yeah. Is this Mr. Browning?"

"Yes, I'm calling on behalf f your daughter, Rose. She had gotten into a physical conflict with another student, and doesn't seem to well."

"What?! What happened?!"

"I have them both here in my office, and she told me that the boy had punched her in the stomach, and I can tell her breathing is uneven, and choppy sort of, so I was wondering if you would take the time to come down and get her, because she doesn't look to be doing so well. I would drive her home, but have a meeting to attend in a couple minutes at another school."

"I'm on my way." I reply hanging up, and rushing back up to my room to get dressed. M brain instantly went from begging to go back to bed, to getting my daughter home. The tired also went away, and now I have the energy to run a marathon pretty much. After getting dressed, I quickly write a note for mom, saying that I will be bringing Rose home. I rush out the front door, and I begin running down the street. Normally, I'm exhausted out of my mind after one block, but I manage to get to the school without even panting. I enter the school, and head straight for the office. I approach the service desk.

"Good morning, how may I help you?" The lady asks. She looks to be at least seventy years old, her skin is wrinkly, and she has her grey hair in curls.

"I need to see my daughter Rose Luck." I reply.

"Oh that...thing. Yes, she's in Mr. Brownings office with another boy."

"First off, she is not a thing, she is my daughter, and second off, don't be a judgemental jerk!" I say gritting my teeth before going into Mr. Brownings office.

"Mom!" Rose exclaims, getting up from her chair, and hugs me. I kneel down to hug her back.

"Are you okay?" I ask. I notice her breathing is off, just like Mr. Browning told me.

"Y-yeah. M-my tummy j-just h-hurts." Her incorrect breathing causes her to stutter a bit. I feel her stomach with a hand, and it feels harder than usual. It's probably swollen. She flinches at the touch.

"Oww." I hug her again to try to make her feel okay. I look to Mr. Browning as he gets up from his chair.

"Thank you for coming down here as quick as you did, I'm late for that meeting, and I must be going, and you can go back to class." He says to the boy at the table while throwing a coat on, and walking out of the room. The boy gets up, and leaves.

"W-what now m-mommy?" Rose asks..

"We go home." I reply.

"Okay. I love you mommy."

"I love you too." I say planting a kiss on her forehead.

I stand up, and I grab her left hoof, and we walk out of the office. I stop at the service desk to sign her out. We get to the front doors, and I see, within the short time I've been here, that clouds have rolled in and filled the sky, and not a bit of light shows through. We walk out, to be met by a gust of cold wind. I look down at Rose, and can;t help but smile. She's the best thing that has come into my life, and to have become her mother just makes it so much better for me. It is sad though, that she didn't even get to go half way through the first day of school without getting hurt.

We continue walking, as the wind gets colder, and I begin to shiver. Rose seems fine, but it's probably cause her fur keeps her warm. She still seems very happy, even though she took a blow to the stomach. She acts just like any old child would, and has the same emotions pretty much. The only difference I see is that she is a pony, and not a human. Other than that there isn't really all that much, that you could tell apart. Just to think, If she hadn't come along when she did, I wouldn't be here today. I'm incredibly thankful to have her.

"Mom?"

"Yes."

"You're...not mad at me...are you?" She asks worryingly.

"No. Now why would I be mad?"

"Cause I hurt him too."

"What do you mean?"

"A-after he punched me, I-I fell down, and when I tried to get up, he pushed me down with his foot, and...I tripped him." She replies.

"Well if it was for you to get away then it's fine,"

"I didn't like it when he hurt me, so I didn't want to hurt him, but..."

"But what?" I ask.

"I shouldn't have tripped him. It wasn't nice of me to do that."

` "Well you had no choice, so it's okay."

"Okay."

When we get onto our block, I see an ambulance stopped on our side of the road with it's lights flashing. Is it in front of our house? I squint my eyes to see down the street, and see two men carrying a stretcher, with someone on it, and a black cover over the body, over to the rear of the ambulance. I begin to go into a jog, and Rose follows. I can see now I is by our house, and another wave of worry washes over me. I approach the rear of the vehicle.

"Do you know this woman?" One of them asks.

"She's my mom!" He walks over to me, and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Then I'm sorry for your loss." He says.

"W-what do you mean?!"

"Sh-she had a heart attack. The next door neighbor called 9-1-1. She said she was worried that she hand't gotten up yet, There is a clear view of the bed through the window,"

"Oh my god. I don't have a job yet! How am I gonna take care of my daughter?"

"Who's your daughter?" He asks, as Rose walks up to my side.

"Oh..." Is all that comes out when he sees her.

"It's a long story." I reply.

"I can see. But I have to get going. can't be blocking the street with this big vehicle." He says going around to the front, and starting the van up, before driving off.

"Come on Rose." I say walking up to the house.

"W-whats wrong with grandma?" She asks, but I pretend not to hear it. It would be too hard on her if she knew, but she was there, so I'll have to tell her

We walk inside and I sit on the couch. Rose sits next to me, and plays with her tail. I sigh a deep sigh, and put my face in my hands. How am I going to tell her? How am I going to be able to support her alone without a job? Will the house go into foreclosure? Where will we live? Where will we go? I look at Rose, who seems worried too now. I want her happy, but now I don't think happy exists anymore. All we have now is each other, and nothing more. Why must this world be so cruel? I grab her and hold her close to me. She's all I have now, and if I lose her...I don't know what I would do.

"What's wrong mommy? Where's grandma?"

"Grandma...is gone." I reply.

"What do you mean?"

"She's...dead."

"NO!!" She cries, and with that, she buries her face in my chest, and begins to cry her eyes out.

I rub her mane, and shush her to try to calm her down, but my efforts do nothing to stop it. She loved ma a lot, but never really go to spend time with her because she was always working, or sleeping. A couple minutes later, my shirt is soaked with her tears. I begin to cry to, as I continue rubbing her head. Her ears are flat against her skull, and her eyes are shut, as she cries. I've learned that her ears are a way of showing emotion. Like when she is scared, mad, angry, or...sad, they are down, but when she is happy, surprised, or excited, they stand straight up. So they are down with bad emotions, and up with good emotions. and right now is a bad one.

"I'm sorry Rose." Is all I can say right now. "I'm so sorry."

"She didn't deserve to die!" She shouts.

"I know she didn't. She's in a better place now okay?"

"Where is that?"

"It's a place all good people go when they die. It's called heaven." I reply.

"W-will she b-be happy there?"

"I hope so."

It hurts me to see her crying like this. It's her first time, so I don't really know what to do for her. I just hope that she can stay happy, cause that's all I want, is whats best for her, and to make her happy. I don't know why I keep saying it, but still. I pick her up, and put her in my lap, and I hold her in my arms. Sooner, or later, a cop is probably going to come to the door, and tell us who will adopt us. That's if anybody, or if a cop even comes to the door. I don't want Rose to have to live like this. It's just too hard for her.

Eventually she stops crying, and falls asleep on me. I want to get up, bu I'm just to tired now all of a sudden. I'm still holding the little filly in my arms, as she snuggles herself into me in her sleep. Her breathing has finally returned to normal, and a small smile is made. At least she's still happy in her dreams. I visualize what Rose may be like if she were to be depressed, and never happy, and this could come from the sudden death. I look up, and image ma's face. She's in heaven now, where she will be safe, and can live happy.

"Rest in peace mom. Rest in peace."

I stare off into space a bit, trying to figure out what I can do to make this situation better. It's probably been a half hour now that I've been sitting here with Rose in my arms. She's snoring her cute little snore again. I begin rubbing her red and pink mane again. It's getting a little rough, so maybe I'll give her a bath after she wakes up. So her first day of school was fine till that boy came along and ruined it, then I come to find she's in pain, then we come home to find mom had died from a heart attack, and now we are here. I can just feel how sad she is right now, and it stings me right in the heart. I've kept her happy for so long, now she's sadder than ever. All this sudden stress has worn me out, and I myself fall into a deep sleep.