• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 5,128 Views, 142 Comments

Pinkamenace II Society - jmj



Twilight is sent to learn about the magic of friendship and ends up in the ghetto that is Ponyville.

  • ...
8
 142
 5,128

1:2 Ascending to the Night Sky

Evening had almost arrived and the sky had turned to a slight orange. The sun was beginning its descent from the apex of its daily ritual. Below the spire that Twilight called home, the market ponies were closing their shops and eagerly heading home to be with the ones they loved. Now and again, pegasi would zip upward, climbing in altitude on their way to their own homes in or around Cloudsdale.

Quite a few of the market ponies were pegasi and made the hour commute to the bustling streets of Canterlot to trade goods that were abundant in Cloudsdale but uncommon in other cities. Sometimes when Twilight was feeling down or tired of a particularly boring book, she would sit on her haunches and watch the pegasi dart into the evening sky. She wondered what it would be like to fly and marveled at the air dynamics that each of the winged ponies knew instinctually.

Twilight had flown before, in a balloon that she used when she needed to travel to other places for her studies. While the outcome of such trips was often fruitful, as sometimes seeing the hoof drawn hieroglyphics of ancient pony tribes or the crumbled tower of a once powerful wizard could provide data that books could not, Twilight was all too aware that her method of transportation was not true flying. Never discouraged for long, Twilight did not dwell on her inabilities, but sought ways to overcome them with her talents. The lavender mare had been working on a spell that would levitate her and, to some degree, had achieved it. She had, on a number of occasions, lifted herself a few feet off the ground and slowly eased herself back to a standing position. She had not been willing to try this power out at higher altitudes, such as the descent into the market district after leaping from the pathway that connected the spire to the castle proper. One day she would, but she wanted to be sure of her research before attempting something so dangerous.

As Twilight sat upon a couch on the short patio in front of the spire, not even the darting pegasi could improve her dour mood this afternoon. She released a sigh that bespoke her exact emotions: disappointment, a tinge of anger, and helplessness. Despite the scenery, she could not break from the depression that engulfed her after learning what her “special assignment” was to be. Friendship magic. Please. There were so many more important ways in which her talents could be used. She had never needed friends before and she sure didn’t need them now. The only friend she needed was Spike and, when it came right down to it, he sort of belonged to her.

As if on cue, the purple dragon appeared with a daisy sandwich and waddled up to the lavender mare. “Here, Twilight. I know you’re down about your assignment, but maybe this will make you feel better.” He sat the plate down next to the mare and hopped up to look over the short stone wall that served as railings for the patio and walkway and observe the ponies far below.

The mare nudged the sandwich and levitated it to her mouth, taking a small bite and setting it back on the plate. The flavor of the yellow and white flowers mixed so well with the bread and pesto that Spike had smeared on the top slice. Still, it did little to console her. She swallowed and rolled her head to the side. “Have I been replaced or something? Why would Princess Celestia give me this duty? It’s so meaningless. How can this benefit Equestria?”

The dragon didn’t turn his head, but kept watching the district below them. “Maybe she wants you to do more than study all day. It does get boring up here and everyone needs to stretch their legs from time to time.”

“But studying is what I do. I like to study and learn. The books I’m reading could someday help somepony. Even the smallest piece of information can be useful at the right time and I want to be ready when that time comes. I don’t need to stretch my legs that much and, when I do, I want it to be on my own terms, not because of an obligation to another pony.”

Spike simply sighed and cast a discerning glance at the mare. “Is that really how you see friendship, Twilight? As an obligation to others and not a beneficial relationship? What about me? Am I just an obligation to you?”

The mare rolled her eyes and sat upward. “You don’t understand, Spike. I would never think of you that way. It’s just that I don’t want to be forced to split my time between studying and frivolous and meaningless chores. You are my assistant and my friend. We do things together; why would I need anypony else?”

“We do things? Like what? I watch you read and I put away the books you finish and organize them by so many different filing systems on a weekly basis that I know every title to your collection. I can tell you what comes first alphabetically, by subject matter, chronologically (forward and backward), by author, or any combination of them. When we perform an experiment, it’s strictly business. We never have fun, Twilight…” Something caught his eye and a bright smile lit his scaled face.

A blue and white streak appeared from Canterlot’s market district. The blur was going to cross the sky just across from the patio. Spike waved enthusiastically. The blur slowed and the pegasus mare waved back with a smile that stretched wide. She was a pretty pegasus with a teal coat and white mane. Her name was Wing Dancer and she hovered for a brief moment, flapping her wings, before ascending to the height at which the winds were beneficial for her flight back home.

Spike waved his goodbye and shouted, “Bye, Wing Dancer!” He turned back to Twilight and motioned toward the disappearing Pegasus. “Wing Dancer isn’t an obligation. I met her when I went shopping for you when you were too busy to go yourself. She’s smart and nice and pretty. We went to Donut Joe’s and had coffee. She even likes the same donuts as me. We had a good time; that’s why I was so late getting home that night. I doubt you even noticed. You don’t have any friends, Twilight, and the Princess knows it. Nopony can be a shut-in all the time. She just wants you to go out and find out for yourself how happy being in the company of others can make you feel.”

Twilight perked up a little, but was still unsure of the assignment. She was going to go through with it no matter her feelings on the matter, but maybe Spike was right. Maybe the Princess really did know what she was doing. Princess Celestia had never steered her wrong before and Twilight saw no reason for that to be any different now. She had to believe in Princess Celestia’s wisdom and maybe, just maybe, she had felt a twinge when Spike had so happily addressed the teal pegasus. “Sorry, Spike. You’re right. Maybe my ego was a little out of control. The Princess doesn’t make mistakes often and I doubt this is one. She obviously thought about it for a long time. I waited a whole week, after all. Time magic will have to wait.” She had stood and held her head high. She was going to root out the magic of friendship and explore its mysteries until she was a master in its arts. Social interactions could, after all, prevent disasters or disputes if executed correctly. Perhaps she would become a diplomat to foreign nations after she displayed her mastery of friendship. There were possibilities and the Princess wanted her to know them. “Let’s pack, Spike. Hoofington waits for us. We’re going to make friends with everypony there and show the Princess I am up to any task.”

The mare rushed into the spire followed by the dragon. Almost instantly, a purple glow churned around the doorway of the stone structure as Twilight conjured her things into carrying devices. Mountains of books and other items shrank and filed into a single suitcase that would accompany the mare to Hoofington.

***

The balloon was anchored to another platform on the eastern quarter of the castle by a pink and gold rope. The platform was used as a landing zone for visiting diplomats, pegasi, and gryphons. The platform’s architecture was polished white marble, adorned with blue and gold. This immediately showcased to visitors the city’s culture and extravagance , and most found that it did not take away from Canterlot Castle’s beautifully designed architecture.

While not strictly enforced during the long peace Equestria had enjoyed, it was considered polite and proper to descend to this particular circular landing zone rather than simply using any clear area. Those who did not follow proper procedures were looked down upon by many in the kingdom and very few were bold enough to think their importance so great as to overlook the tradition of Canterlot Castle. So, usually, this area was found to be quite busy.

Twilight sat on the marble waiting area with Spike and her suitcase as Royal Guards checked different parts of the balloon for defects or other possible problems. She watched as they checked the pressure of the balloon and the stress on the fabric as it filled to the desired size. The purple fabric was filling well now and was almost at its full state. The fabric was tough and held the gases within with grace and beauty. Anypony looking upon the device could see the time and money spent on its design. It was not a regal vehicle, as there were chariots for that, but still showed the splendor of Canterlot.

Twilight grinned up at the device. She had used this balloon numerous times and was anxious to direct it to a new location. She had never been to Hoofington and hoped that the town would benefit her mission. Already she was lost in thought about what she would do when she arrived. There was so much to be done. Introducing herself to the local magistrate would be her first priority and then to unpack, but after that she could begin her task. She could begin her search for friendship. Twilight was so lost in thought that she didn’t hear the Princess coming to see her off.

“Twilight Sparkle.” The Princess smiled as the lavender unicorn jumped at her voice. She thought of Twilight as the brightest pupil she had ever known and admired her for the capabilities the unicorn possessed. However, awareness of her surroundings was not one of them. The unicorn was so often lost in thought and completely consumed by her goals, that Celestia had seen that particular jump a number of times. That she could be caught unaware so easily was charming.

“I have come to see you off. I am sure that this challenge will be met and I wish the best for you. I hope that the change of scenery will prompt you to make friends more easily. The ponies of Hoofington will know nothing of you and you nothing of them. It is a perfect way to start a friendship, completely even. Here you are my student and a unicorn of import, but in Hoofington, these titles will neither hinder nor aid the initial impressions you make on others. Your goal will be easier to achieve, I believe, in this manner.” The Alicorn stood before the mare; though the wind was calm, Celestia’s pastel mane danced as if it were alive. The Princess was the embodiment of Canterlot and her beauty signified the perfection of the city.

Twilight rose from the bow and smiled brightly at her mentor. “Princess Celestia, I will achieve my task and return with vast knowledge about the magic of friendship. As you have wished, I will also write weekly reports to you. I thank you for this opportunity and the wisdom of your teachings. I will not fail you, your Highness.”

Celestia nodded and bestowed a smile on Twilight that told of her approval of the unicorn. She was proud of the mare and believed in her. Celestia was shaping the unicorn into a strong leader and a wise wizard. She would do well when her training was over and Celestia had already begun making plans for the magically powerful and intelligent unicorn.

The last guard stepped from the balloon and, after one final check, announced, “The balloon is ready, your Highness.”

Celestia nodded to the guard and watched as he stepped aside. She looked upon the unicorn mare and regally spoke. “Goodbye, Twilight Sparkle. May your task prove your place as my favored pupil. I believe in you and wish you a farewell.”

Twilight bowed once more on her forelegs and hopped into the balloon with her dragon and suitcase. She smiled brightly and watched as the guards shut the basket door and released the anchor. “Goodbye, your Highness. I will make you proud. Farewell!”

The princess watched her student as the balloon caught the wind and drifted away. Her heart filled with joy. If the unicorn could not find her own friends, then Celestia would help her. She would learn all she needed to and more and return to Canterlot wiser for it. Celestia watched the balloon drift into the evening rays for a long time, thinking of the pride she had for the unicorn. She would do well. She would become somepony special.

***

Ponyville had not been able to sustain businesses after Sweet Apple Acres nearly collapsed. The local economy suffered until most of the store owners packed up and travelled to bigger cities for fear of bankruptcy. The town had died quickly and only a skeleton remained. Most of the shops sat in disrepair with boarded up windows and peeling paint. The doors of once frequented small businesses now only swung for the homeless, drug peddlers, or prostitutes on a “date.”

As time went by, and funding dried up, local government had collapsed, and many of the streets were no longer maintained by town services. Most of the ponies who disposed of garbage and kept the town beautiful lost their jobs and, like most others who decided to linger in their once beautiful home, fell into desperate times. Many turned to vices and families began to fall apart. Theft, drug abuse, and murder rates rapidly inclined as incomes dwindled and ponies turned to less than legal practices to sustain themselves.

The streets had become a danger to single ponies and so they began to group together. Gangs emerged from fear and, before long, neighborhoods turned on those who once were their friends. Ponies were killed for the colors they wore despite their similar situation in life. As friend turned on friend and crime increased, the local Guards became overwhelmed.

The measly Royal Guard force that had been sent from Canterlot to help keep the peace was overwhelmed and, before long, their morale had broken. Much of Ponyville was left to itself as the Guards kept towards the center of town, maintaining the borders of gang territory with a modicum of safety. However, nowhere in town could be said to be truly safe, as shootings and muggings occurred in almost every corner. The lowest income residential areas, which comprised most of Ponyville, were frequently only investigated after the trouble had ended. The Guards had become a clean-up crew for the bodies of fallen gang members and those unfortunate enough to be caught within their disputes. Rarely was an arrest made, except when wounded were left at the scene.

It was in parts of town like this that ponies such as Skank and Pony-C had reached spent their lives. The pair sat on the porch of Skank’s old lady’s run-down house and passed a bottle of Colt 45, an alcoholic beverage brewed from malt, back and forth. They belonged to the neighborhood gang, the 3rd Street Cappers, and passed the time by getting drunk as the sun disappeared in the distance. Night was almost upon them and they swapped stories about their conquests with mares around town. Each pony was strapped with a hoofgun in case trouble showed up, but they were reclined back on the steps, not expecting trouble tonight. At least not from other gangs.

The wood creaked as Skank’s old lady, Cream Puff, flung the door open, the sound of a pair of crying colts spilling from the house. They had been arguing all day about the mare down the street that Skank had been, rightfully, accused of seeing on the side, though he still adamantly denied the claim. The mare had kicked her blue-coated husband out hours ago and now he was back, with a buddy, drinking on the front stoop. Already angered, the sight of Skank and his friend brought new teeth to bear and she lashed out, “Ah, hell no! You’re gonna just sit there on your ass with your hoodlum friend while your babies go hungry? You need to get a damn job an’ stop wit’ this bullshit. Them babies is the only reason I’m stayin’ here. My mama was right ‘bout you. I have thrown my life in the trash.”

Skank turned his head to the mare. Cream Puff had once been beautiful and he had somehow managed to score with her. Of course, it was unprotected and the results of that night were screaming their heads off in a crib in the dirty shack of a home in which they lived. He had, in his defense, owned up to the mistake and stayed with the mare, but she had become fat and stress had made her ugly. Skank saw the mare down the street, Bling Bling, to forget he had a wife who nagged him day and night. “Bitch, I been lookin’ all damn week. Ain’t no jobs up in this hood. Pony-C been wit me all week lookin’ too. We’re tryin’, baby.”

Pony-C, a white pony with black hair and shades agreed, “True that homey. Ain’t no jobs up in here.”

Cream Puff, a beige mare with a brown mane, rolled her eyes. She had had just about enough of her lazy husband’s excuses and far too much of that scummy buddy of his. He could spare money for beer, but not for her and the colts? She wanted to slap him, but held back. Her teeth ground against each other and she yelled at her adulterer husband. “Go see if that whore down the road will give ya somethin’ to do! You see her so much, might as well make some bits for your family! Buck you. I’m goin’ to get the broom. If y’all are still here when I get back I’m wallopin’ ya both!” The door slammed hard as she tromped back into the house.

Skank knew she would and passed the half-empty bottle of Colt 45 back to Pony-C. He stood and motioned toward the street. “Come on, dawg. Let that bitch cool off. I gotta sleep sometime t’night and I don’t wan’ it to be on that broke-ass couch again.” He wanted no more arguments for the day with his old lady and had felt the wrath of her broom enough for this week.

The pair headed towards the end of their neighborhood, a collection of run-down homes lining both sides of a dirt road that ended, on one side, with a dirty playground (where any amount of colts and fillies played during the day but any amount of illegal substances or activities could be bought at night), and a convenience store at the other. The duo slowly made their way towards the store, passing the bottle between them, until, as they stepped into the light of the building, they had emptied it and tossed the glass against the wall.

Pony-C was broke and hoped for more beer from Skank. He looked expectantly to his friend. “Buyin’ another bottle, bro?” He was hopeful that Skank would splurge because of the scolding he had just received.

Skank checked his bit supply. Three bits. Buck. Not enough for filly-food and beer. He thought hard on what to do. He couldn’t possibly go back home with nothing to show for it except another beer. He could either bide his time drinking somewhere else and head home when the fun was finished or he could buy the damn food and get that fat mare off his back for the night. After a few moments, he made his mind up. Beer now, fat bitch later.

They had bought another Colt 45 and were walking their way to Pony-C’s house. He lived with his mother, but she had a night job in the center of Ponyville cleaning a lawyer’s office and would be gone until nearly dawn. Pony-C spent his days wandering from friend to friend and helping them use up whatever they were using to keep their party going. He never had bits and jobs were not his thing. Occasionally he would obtain small amounts of illicit substances for ponies working for Applejack and earn a few bits and enough Sweets to have fun for the night, but he mostly used his friends for his fix. “Gotta make some bits, homey. Got to party again soon. I think I can get in touch wit that JackSlap punk again and maybe sell some Sweets. Probly take a few day tho’. You’re welcome to crash at my place ‘til then. Keep that old bitch o’ yers offa yer back.”

Alcohol was a funny thing. It could make Skank feel like real shit for cheating on his wife and spending all his money on vices like beer. He had grown quiet after they emptied the second bottle. He had to make money tonight. Had to buy his colts the food they needed. Had to shut that bitch up and give her a night to remember. He loved her once and wanted to love her again. If she’d just shut that bucking mouth long enough to let him tell her what he thought. He didn’t want his colts to hate him when they grew up because he hadn’t provided for them. He regretted buying the beer and wished he could do it over, but he couldn’t. “Buck that, Pony-C. We gonna make that money t’night. Know anyone we can rob? Is that fancy pants fag Swizzle Stick out at the clubs t’night?”

“How the buck am I sposed ta know where dat pole greaser is?” Pony-C had known Swizzle Stick since they were colts. They had been best friends once, but the ponies in the neighborhood had started calling his friend names and he had stopped talking to him…in public at least. He still saw Swizzle Stick often, but in private. Behind his shades, his eyes shifted nervously.

“Buck it, I don’t wan’ know what he keeps in his drawers or closet. There’s gotta be another way ta make that money.” Skank was lost in thought when something caught his eye in the night sky, something that looked expensive and floated just low enough to the ground to be within hoofgun range.

“Yeah and what way be that?”

“Right there.”

Pony-C followed Skank’s eyes to the thing wafting through on the night’s breeze. It looked fancy. Its parts could sell for lots of bits. The white pony lifted his shades to discern what this thing was.

A travelling hot air balloon with a lone passenger.

***

Twilight and Spike had ridden the air currents from Canterlot as the night descended upon them. The purple mare watched the stars twinkle and the moon shine. She, once again, had become lost in thought and was making plans on how to acquire friends in Hoofington. She was full of hope for her mission and the night’s sky was so clear that she easily had been entranced under its gaze.

The balloon had begun to descend, lower and lower, as she watched, the heavens play out another theatre of shooting stars and night magic. She hadn’t noticed the creeping descent and Spike was too short to look over the edge of the basket to see for himself. They were well above the buildings of Ponyville and no danger of crashing into any other tall structures, pony-made or natural, but they had come barely below the altitude of what was known as safe ballooning.

It wasn’t until a pair of loud pops came from below the balloon that she realized how low they were flying.” What was that, Spike? Did you hear that?” the startled unicorn exclaimed.

Spike nodded and had to pull himself up by the wooden traveling box’s edge to get his head over enough to look. “I don’t know, Twilight, but we’re pretty low.

She looked over the basket and saw nothing out of the ordinary, just a town, much too close. “We need to fill the balloon. We’re far too low. That’s why we heard whatever that was from that town.” She began to pull the cord that operated the machine that filled the material of the balloon, but soon discovered that they were still descending. “What’s wrong? It should have begun taking us back into the sky, not down.”

Spike climbed to the edge of the basket and held tightly to one of the ropes that held the basket to the balloon. He leaned out and saw two holes in the side of the struggling balloon. He gasped, “Twilight! The balloon has sprung a leak! It’s not going to be able to take us up. We’ll have to find a safe place to land it and then contact the Princess. She’ll send someone to patch it up, I’m sure.”

Another pair of pops and the balloon sagged heavily, shaking the passengers and almost throwing Spike from the basket altogether. The balloon could not support the weight of the basket now and the slow drift downward became a fast descent. They weren’t quite falling, but it would be a rough landing nonetheless.

Spike jumped back to the basket floor and covered himself, tucking his tale under his body. He shivered and sounded somewhat panicked. “What do we do, Twilight?”

The lavender unicorn dropped to the floor as well and moved right up against her dragon assistant. “It’s okay, Spike. Just hold on. We’ll land hard when we do, but we should be fine.”

The balloon had been damaged too much and the gaps between the holes suddenly ripped from the stress of the basket’s weight. The balloon, still a couple thousand feet in the sky, deflated as if it had received a blow from a giant. The vehicle, no longer able to support its flight, fell like a stone.