• Published 2nd Dec 2014
  • 1,083 Views, 22 Comments

The Truths We Deny - volrathxp



Celestia goes on a journey to find closure.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,083

Chapter 3

The Truths We Deny

Chapter 3

Twilight blinked. What in the world was she seeing? A young Celestia and young Luna? Their mother? Serenity? What did all of this mean? What was the Tree of Harmony trying to tell her?

“Twilight, darling,” Rarity said from beside her. “What is the meaning of all of this? I thought this spell was supposed to tell us where Celestia had gone.”

Twilight opened her mouth to respond but nothing came out. Her eyes drew back to the alicorns and unicorn standing in front of them. She blinked again. It was clear that Celestia and Luna couldn't see her or her friends. It reminded her of the potion that Zecora had created, the one that had shown her Celestia and Luna's fight, Discord's rule, and the Tree itself. Something in her mind clicked.

“The past,” she said softly. “The Tree is showing us the past. In this case, Celestia's past.”

“But why? Why does it want us to see that?” Applejack replied.

“And who the hay is this Serenity pony?” Rainbow Dash said. “I've never even heard of her.”

“You most likely wouldn't have,” Twilight said. “Serenity has been long gone for some time. She... she was a princess, much like Celestia and Luna.”

“But she didn't have wings? How could she be a princess without wings or a horn?” Pinkie Pie said.

“We must be seeing her before she became an alicorn,” Twilight said. “Serenity... her job as a princess was to judge the souls of ponies when they passed on.”

“You mean, she told them where they would go when they...” Fluttershy whispered.

Twilight nodded. “Serenity took care of the ponies and every other race that passed into her realm, judging them and sending them to either the Summer Lands or to Tartarus. But when Tirek appeared the first time, he attacked Serenity and she disappeared. Or so said the diary.”

“Diary?” Rarity said. “What diary?”

“Something I found in Celestia and Luna's old castle a while ago. I was there reading by myself and Celestia came by. She claimed the diary had been written by Scorpan, Tirek's brother, detailing an account where Tirek tried to trick Serenity into failing at her post as Princess of the Final Rest,” Twilight explained. “Personally, I thought it was quite rushed as a story, but Celestia claimed that Scorpan was factual, even if she couldn't remember it herself.”

“Do you think that maybe wherever Princess Celestia went, it has something to do with her?” Rarity said.

Twilight grimaced. “It's possible. That could be why the Tree is showing us these old memories. We know something prompted Celestia to leave. Perhaps watching and learning from the magic of Harmony will give us some clue as to where she went and why.”

“Boring!” Rainbow exclaimed loudly. “When do we get to the part where we blast the bad guy with rainbow lasers for kidnapping the Princess?”

“Now, Rainbow. We don't know what happened to the Princess. But this particular memory did give us one very important clue that one of our close friends will know something about,” Twilight said, smirking. “You are here aren't you, Discord?”

Twilight's crown shimmered and disappeared, transforming into a tiny golden draconequus studded with rubies all over. Everypony around gasped. Discord grinned widely.

“Of course I am, my dear Twilight. Once I got wind you six were going on an adventure, I just had to join in,” he said. “Sorry for the deception of course, but I think you knew I was here the whole time.”

“I had my suspicions,” Twilight said. “We'll have a long talk about that once this is all said and done. Right now, we have a problem. I trust you saw that memory?”

“Indeed. I remember well those days of yonder,” Discord replied casually, snapping a claw and reappearing next to Fluttershy. “Celestia was far more fun in those days.”

“Wait, does that mean that you were Discordant Noise?” Applejack asked.

Discord grimaced. “Indeed, that was my name when I was still a pony. That was before I became the devastatingly handsome fellow you see before you today.”

“So you knew Princess Serenity then,” Twilight said, interrupting the draconequus's tirade before he could get started.

“In a manner of speaking. She and I... well, we were more than what you would call close friends,” Discord said wistfully. His eyes transformed into tiny little hearts.

“Ugh, gag me with a spoon,” Rainbow Dash said. “You? In love? I don't even know how to process that one.”

“I'm sorry you don't believe me, Rainbow. I was a very different sort those days. I had yet to discover my own path at the time, and Serenity was very alluring. Very shy, but alluring all the same,” Discord said. “Much like my dear friend Fluttershy, actually.”

Fluttershy meeped softly, her cheeks reddening. Discord blinked, picking up on what he'd just said.

“Oh, dear. I'm terribly sorry, Fluttershy. That isn't what I meant at all,” he said, glancing away.

“I... I know,” Fluttershy said.

“Enough,” Twilight interrupted. “Is there any reason that Celestia would be looking for Serenity?”

“I assume out of guilt,” Discord mused. “As you saw in the memory, Celestia herself was quite smitten with yours truly. That led to a bit of a falling out, as it were, between the two sisters. When Celestia took over as Crown Princess, she relegated Serenity to be the bridge between the world of the living and the realms of the dead.”

“Celestia did it to separate you two, didn't she?” Twilight said.

Discord nodded solemnly. “I couldn't reach her, except by my own death. That was when... well, you know.”

“Became Discord, the evil and scary lord of all Chaos and Disharmony?” Pinkie chimed in. “No offense, of course.”

“None taken, Pinkie,” Discord replied nonchalantly.

“Interesting,” Twilight said. “I believe then, our course is clear. Somewhere in these old memories are more clues as to where Celestia currently is, and why she's doing this. Our best bet is to split up and research this thoroughly.”

“Research, Twi? Come on, let's just comb the country until we find her,” Rainbow said, flaring her wings. “We'll find her in no time.”

“I don't think will help, Rainbow,” Twilight answered. “This spell was designed to find her, and it only found these old memories of her, which means that Celestia can't be found.” She sighed. “Celestia... she's not even in Equestria at the moment, which means there's only a few potential places she could be, and none of us can go there.”

“And why's that, Twi?” Applejack said, cocking her head.

“Because we'd have to die first,” Twilight replied, grimacing.

*******************************************

Celestia's eyes widened. Daxis, the lord of this section of Tartarus, was disgusting and vile in every possible way she could have imagined. Could a being so visibly cruel and evil even be bartered with, let alone talk to? Her eyes narrowed at the task. She had to do so, in order to find Serenity's crown.

“Pix,” she said, grabbing the imp's attention. “How do we speak to this lord of yours?”

“I... uh... I don't know, actually,” Pix said. “I was sort of... kicked out. Exiled, you know... the whole 'if you come back we'll eat your heart for dinner and roast your skin for the kiddies' kind of exiled.”

Celestia frowned. “What did you do to deserve such a fate?”

“I may have been involved in an unforeseen sequence of events that led to the escape of Tartarus' most dangerous villain,” Pix said, wincing. “Turns out, even Tartarans don't like that guy, so I got in really big trouble once Daxis found out about it.”

“Wait... do you mean to tell me that you were involved in...” Celestia said, putting together the pieces in her head. “You were involved in Tirek's escape?”

Pix turned away for a second before being a golden glow surrounded him, forcing his eyes back to Celestia.

“Pix... tell me,” Celestia said, glaring at him.

“Alright... I may have been the one responsible for letting Cerberus out of his cage...” Pix said. “But I swear I didn't know that it was going to let Tirek get out! I was doing it as a prank, that's what imps do. We prank and play tricks. Daxis didn't like the fact that Tirek could get out, but he couldn't. Nobody likes Tirek down here anyways, so I got punished for it.”

Celestia's gaze softened. “I see. I'm sorry that you had to go through that, Pix. But I do need your help, and I promise that if you'll help me, I'll do what I can for you.”

“I... alright. I'll try to get an audience with Daxis for us,” Pix said, glancing down at the town below.

“I do not think you will have to wait long,” a harsh and heavy voice said from the shadows.

Celestia's eyes widened as several large bat-winged monsters appeared out of the darkness. Each one of them held a trident that flickered with demonic magicks. Their red eyes were trained immediately onto the white alicorn.

“Apprehend them and bring them before Lord Daxis the Unfathomable,” the demon at the front of the pack said.

Celestia growled under her breath. “Stand down, creatures of Tartarus. I am Celestia, Solar Princess of Equestria. I wish an audience with your Lord Daxis.”

“Daxis will have an audience with you pony, before he devours you,” the lead demon replied. It lifted its trident, snarling.

Celestia's horn blazed brilliantly, sending a blast of golden light at the demon's chest. It crumpled to the ground in a burning heap. The other demons hesitated at the easy defeat of their apparent leader.

“Does anyone else wish to be next? I can oblige if you so desire,” the Solar Princess said, a smirk on her face. None of the demons moved. “Good. If you would be so kind then, take us to see Daxis. Now.”

The demons gulped audibly, motioning down a path leading from the tunnel into the main cavern. They turned, flapping softly down it as Celestia and Pix followed.

“Wow... you just... you just killed one of them demon guards,” the imp muttered under his breath to the mare.

Celestia scowled. “He made to attack me. I felt it was wise to demonstrate my power here. I am a Princess of Equestria, after all.”

The demon guards led the pair down into the cavern, where many of the mock-town's residents looked on in awe at the brilliant white alicorn stalking through their streets. They eventually stopped in the center of the town before the massive beast known as Daxis.

“Guards, prepare Daxis's meal... oh. It's you,” the great demon rumbled as all of its eyes locked with Celestia's.

“Hello, Daxis. I would say it is good to see you again, but we both know that would be a lie,” Celestia said. She grinned.

Pix blinked. “Wait wait wait. You know Lord Daxis?” he said, attempting to interrupt the alicorn mare.

“Ah, it is Pix as well,” Daxis rumbled. “Daxis thought he told the little worm never to show its scaly little face here ever again. And yet, here it is again. It must have a death wish.”

“Pix is none of your concern, Daxis. I am your audience. You know who I am,” Celestia said angrily. “And you must know why I am here.”

“Daxis knows why you are here, Princess of the Sun,” Daxis said. Pus popped from one of its boils on its leathery skin, filling the air with rancid stink. “You seek things that do not belong to you. Daxis can taste the stink of regret all around you. It is... invigorating to say the least.”

“You're wrong, Daxis. I regret nothing,” Celestia said. “I'm here searching for something very dear to me. You would not know it by its appearance, however. It is a simple rock, its true form only known to one such as myself.”

“Ponies always regret something. Daxis has feasted on many of your kind, Princess of the Sun. He knows the stinking regret of a pony quite well,” Daxis said, his body shuddering loudly. His eyes shifted to the cavern above. “As for what you seek, the rock is no longer here. One came and took the item some time ago.”

Celestia's eyes widened. Someone else knew about the crown? Had Tirek managed to trick her? Did he take it during his escape, or did he have someone else do it for him? Celestia grimaced. “Pray tell then, Lord Daxis the Unfathomable. Who took this item that I seek?”

“It was an alicorn, much like yourself. Except much darker,” Daxis rumbled. “She was quite forceful. Daxis thought to eat her, but she was far too quick for him.”

“An... an alicorn?” Celestia stammered. Her eyes narrowed at the demon. Was it Luna? Did she know about the crown too? How did she know? Celestia racked her brain, trying to reach her memories of Serenity and Luna. She had known that her two sisters had been close, but she couldn't remember how close. “What was this alicorn's name?”

“Daxis does not know, Daxis does not ask for names of intruder ponies in his realm. Daxis prefers to eat them first, ask questions never,” the massive slug demon said.

“Do you know where the alicorn went?” Celestia pressed on. She had to know where the crown went. If Luna had it, she had to know why. Why she couldn't remember everything about Serenity.

“Daxis saw the alicorn. It left this realm for another. Daxis not see beyond the portal,” the demon replied.

“I see,” Celestia said. “Well, then I shall take my leave of you. I must go in search of this mystery alicorn.”

Daxis' red eyes narrowed. The slug demon began to rumble loudly. “Daxis thinks not, Princess. Daxis remembers that it was you who sealed away Daxis in this place, who made Daxis into what Daxis is today. Daxis will not let you leave. No, Daxis will devour you whole!”

The slug demon arched up and lunged forward, it's maw gaping as it reached out for Celestia. The alicorn lit her horn, enveloping herself and Pix in a shield of golden power. Daxis' jaws latched onto the shield, causing him to recoil in pain.

“I do not know what you are talking about,” Celestia said angrily. “I only remember you were imprisoned for crimes against Equestria here. I did my duty as a Princess to stop you.”

“You turned Daxis into a monster!” the slug demon roared, lunging forward again.

Celestia grimaced and flicked the magic with her horn, causing both herself and Pix to disappear into nothingness. Daxis slammed into the hard Tartaran rock and snarled loudly. None of his guards dared to move, lest they be devoured by their lord. Daxis recoiled and roared.

“What are you all doing? Find her! Find them both! Daxis wants to devour her!”

**********************************************

“I am so glad you've given me this opportunity to bond with you, Twilight,” Discord said as he floated lazily along in the air beside the mare in question.

Twilight smiled softly. “I admit that we've not gotten much time to spend together since Tirek was defeated. Also, I have some ideas on why you may be the best lead we have on finding Celestia.”

The two were making their way along one of the many pathways that had led from the first memory of Serenity. Twilight briefly wondered how the others were doing in their search. So far, Discord and herself had found nothing of any interest.

“Life would be so terribly droll without old Sun Butt, wouldn't it?” Discord mused. His eyes lit up. “Maybe I could become the new Princess Celestia! I would be so good at it, wouldn't I?” He snapped his claws, transforming himself into a mockup of Celestia.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Discord. We've got work to do. Besides, Princess Celestia isn't bright pink.”

Discord glanced down at his new form and grinned sheepishly. He stomped his fake hoof and transformed back into himself.

“That's better,” Twilight said. “Now let's keep going, I don't want to be here any longer than anypony else does, but this is the only chance we have of finding Celestia.”

The two rounded the next corner, blinking as they found themselves on a field of open grass. Sitting upon it at the far end were two young mares. One was Celestia, the other... Serenity. Twilight narrowed her gaze as the memory began to play out.

“So you see, someday Luna and I will be in charge of all the other ponies in the land,” Celestia said, smiling. “Mom's always said that there will be a day when she's not around anymore to help us, but I doubt that. Mom's always been there for us.”

“That... that sounds a little scary, not having Mom around,” Serenity said softly. “I hope that doesn't happen too soon.”

Celestia rolled her eyes and chuckled. “You gotta stop being so gloomy, Sis. I mean, look at Lulu. She's all blue, and she's nowhere near as gloom and doom as you are.”

“I know. I just...” Serenity said. “I guess I just don't feel like I'm fitting in very well here.”

“Don't worry about it,” Celestia said. “That'll change when you become a princess.”

Serenity's eyes widened. “What? What do you mean?”

“Oh come on. Mom's not very subtle. She obviously intends to turn you into an alicorn at some point,” Celestia said. Noting her sister's surprised face, she continued on. “It is possible for non-alicorns to ascend and become one, but it's very rare. Both Lulu and I are natural born alicorns, which are even more rare. Mom is too. Only natural born alicorns have the ability to raise a normal pony to alicorn status.”

“But... why would she...?” Serenity stammered.

“Who knows? Maybe Mom sees something in you that you don't,” Celestia said. “To be honest, it's kind of nice having somepony to hang out with that's closer to my age. I love Lulu to death and all, but she's a typical little sister.”

“I... I've noticed,” Serenity said. “Where is she today anyways?”

“I dunno,” Celestia said. “Don't really care either. I'm just here to enjoy the view.” She motioned across the field.

Twilight's gaze followed the motion, seeing the field end at a road side. Beyond the road the rest of the town hustled and bustled about their day, paying no attention to the two mares watching them. Trotting along town square was a young gray earth stallion. A cutie mark of disjointed musical notes rested on his flank. He toted along a large horn-shaped instrument in a case behind him.

“Who... who's that?” Serenity said.

“Discordant Noise,” Celestia said dreamily. “He's kind of new around here too. You wouldn't know it by looking at him, but he's very sweet. Kind of silly, but sweet. I come out here to watch him play sometimes.”

The stallion pulled the large horn instrument out of its case and sat down on a bench. He began to play the horn, emitting all sorts of sounds and squawks from it as he blew hard into the mouthpiece. Ponies within earshot held their ears and yelled at the young stallion.

“He doesn't sound very good,” Serenity said, chuckling.

“No, you're right. But he is cute, and that's all that matters,” Celestia said. She sighed loudly.

Twilight raised an eyebrow and glanced at Discord.

“I cannot be held responsible for anything she says, Twilight. I give you my word that I am not interfering with this memory,” Discord replied. He held up three claws. “Scout's honor.”

“You're not a scout,” Twilight replied casually.

“But I am an honorary Cutie Mark Crusader, doesn't that count for something?” Discord said, snapping his claws and causing the familiar red and blue cape of the CMC to appear tied around his neck.

“I suppose,” Twilight said, smiling. “Let's keep watching. There's something we're not seeing here.” She returned her attention to the memory.

“Why don't you say hi to him?” Serenity said. “I mean, if you like him so much...”

“I don't know,” Celestia said. “I feel like I'd just goof it up somehow.”

“Really? You're a princess. How are you going to goof up asking a guy out on a date?” Serenity said. “It's not hard.”

“I know, I know. I just... with him it's different. I don't want him looking at me like a princess, you know?” Celestia said, glancing down at her hooves.

Serenity rolled her eyes and stood. “Come on, let's go down there.”

“You can't be serious,” Celestia said.

Serenity grinned slyly. Celestia sighed and grumbled loudly.

“Fine,” she said.

Celestia stood, following her sister down across the road. Naturally, the presence of an alicorn turned all eyes onto them. Celestia tried to hide her anxiety as they neared closer to where Discordant Noise was sitting. The stallion was engrossed in his instrument, and barely noticed the two mares as they watched him play. When he was finished, he set down his instrument and his eyes widened.

“P-P-P-P...” he started to stammer.

“Uh...” Celestia managed to say. “I uh...”

“Oh for Moon's sake,” Serenity said. She waved at the stallion. “Hi, I'm Serenity and this is my sister, Celestia. We wanted to tell you we really liked your music.”

“You... you did?” the stallion said softly.

“Uh...” Celestia continued to utter. “Uh... yeah. Yeah, I really like you. I mean, I like your music. Yeah, your music.”

“Nopony ever likes my music,” Discordant replied. “Let alone a Princess.”

“Well that's because Celestia is pretty cool like that, right Sis?” Serenity said, smiling.

Celestia attempted to grin. “Yeah... I like stuff like that, you know...”

“Well... I... I thank you. I have to get going now, my parents are probably wondering where I'm at. They didn't know I was coming out to practice,” Discordant said, packing up his instrument. He started to walk away from the two mares.

“W-W-Wait,” Celestia stuttered.

Discordant stopped, looking back at her.

“Would you maybe want to have a bite to eat sometime?” Celestia said, blushing. “Like, with me and my sister here?”

Serenity frowned. “I thought this was about you,” she mouthed at the white alicorn.

“Sure,” Discordant said. “I'd... I'd like that. Tomorrow night?”

“Y-Y-Yeah,” Celestia said. “Just... come by the castle. We'll be ready.”

The memory faded away, leaving only silvery dust as Discordant walked away. Twilight grimaced as she tried to analyze what she had seen.

“I assume this was your first time meeting Serenity?” she asked Discord.

“Of course,” the spirit of Chaos responded. He yawned loudly. “How much longer do we have to take these little jaunts back in time?”

“Until we figure out what happened to Celestia. We've already established a brief timeline here already. At some point in her youth, Celestia's mother adopted the unicorn named Serenity. We can see from this memory that Celestia and her sister were far closer to each other than even she and Luna were, due to being closer in age. I'm not sure how that works given that the current belief is that Celestia and Luna are effectively immortal, given their alicorn status.”

“Quite right,” Discord said.

“So, I'm missing something here. Celestia was clearly... in love with you,” Twilight said, grimacing. “Or at the very least infatuated.”

“Correct again,” Discord replied. He twirled around Twilight, grinning widely. “So what do you think?”

“I'm not sure what to think. I think I need some more information to form a valid hypothesis,” Twilight said, frowning. “What I can't piece together is why Celestia never mentioned that Serenity and you were together. In fact, she seemed to not remember much at all about her. Do you have any idea why that would be?”

“To be honest I don't remember much at all myself, Twilight,” Discord said. “After all, beings like myself have lived a very long time. Most likely I'd drive myself mad if I remembered every little thing.”

“You're already pretty mad,” Twilight said, chuckling.

Discord gave her a blank stare. “Oh, a joke! This is riveting. I'm experiencing a joke with a friend! I think I deserve a gold star for that!” He snapped his claws and a gold star appeared on his chest.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Come on then, top student. We'd better keep moving. We have lots of ground to cover. I just hope the others are having as much luck as we are.”

Author's Note:

Support me on Patreon!