• Published 29th Nov 2014
  • 2,287 Views, 352 Comments

Beyond the Portal II: Flames of War - Firestar463



The Sha threat is finally over. Equestria and Azeroth have been connected, and the Ponies have joined the Alliance. But things are only going to get harder from here.

  • ...
7
 352
 2,287

Chapter 20

The sun was just beginning its long journey through the sky as Kyle awoke. A bit later than usual, but not unusually so. On any normal day, Kyle would head for the outhouse, and then make his way to the kitchens for a coffee before settling down in his office to do his work for the day.

But today was far from a normal day.

Oh certainly, he made his morning trip to the latrine, and he followed this up with a quick wash. He retrieved his daily coffee - perhaps a bit stronger than usual, but nothing too out of the ordinary. But his office remained empty. Today was not a day for office work. For this was the day he had been both anticipating and dreading for weeks.

The day of the Grand Galloping Gala.

So instead of settling in at his desk, Kyle instead retreated back into his room. He sat down on his bed and sipped at his coffee, reflecting on the events of the past week. It had been a mere four days since he and Scootaloo had discovered the Horde Stronghold in the Macintosh Mountains. Kyle had made sure to inform both King Varian and Princess Celestia of the situation, in the hopes that they would be able to offer advice. Perhaps some way of ousting the Horde

But alas, has hopes were in vain. King Varian, though obviously angry at the development, admitted there was little that he could offer in the way of help. All available reinforcements were spread between three worlds, and with the war in Draenor escalating as the Alliance prepared for an assault on the Blackrock Foundry, there were simply no soldiers left to counter the Horde in Equus. Besides which, as the King had reminded him, this was Celestia’s problem, not his.

Princess Celestia, too, offered little in the way of aid. Equestria had no standing army to speak of outside of the Royal Guard - hardly large enough to take on a fortress like that. And even if there was an army, they would be unable to reach the Horde. Though they bordered Equestria, the Macintosh Mountains were technically the territory of the Minotaur Tribes. And even then, the Minotaurs allowed the Mountains to be ruled almost exclusively by the Dragons. Any force large enough to take on the stronghold that was caught moving into the mountains would be seen as an act of aggression, and would risk conflict or even open war with their southern neighbors - a risk neither Celestia nor Kyle were willing to take.

And so Kyle could do nothing but wait. He forced himself not to worry too much about the Horde. They were far to the south, days away from Ponyville and Ironwall by foot. The march across the Badlands alone would take nearly two full days. Plenty of time for the Alliance to notice and rally a defense, should the need arise. Combined with the air superiority that Equestria boasted with the Pegasi (Along with a potential flank attack by the Changelings, should Kyle request their aid), and any invasion from the Horde Stronghold would be hard-pressed to last.

At least, that’s what he told himself in order to sleep at night.

Kyle took one final sip of coffee and drained the mug. For a long moment, he simply sat there on his bed, rolling the last few drops around in the bottom of the mug. He closed his eyes and whistled a short tune. He glanced out the window and observed a pair of robins flying past. Anything to take his mind off of not only the Horde, but the Gala that evening.

Finally, he glanced at the clock. 8:10. He sighed and sat his coffee mug to the side. Enough delaying. If he was going to go, he needed to get ready. And so he pushed himself off of his bed and to his feet. He made his way over to his wardrobe and opened it, pulling out a hangar with a large plastic bag draped over it, as well as two flat cardboard boxes. He pulled the plastic off of the hangar and revealed the outfit beneath it.

It was a plain black suit - simple, yet perfectly suitable for a formal event. Kyle ran a finger over the pants and found the material to be very soft and somewhat familiar - perhaps Rarity had used the same Imperial Silk for the pants that she had used for Twilight’s dress? Kyle shrugged and laid the suit jacket and pants aside, turning has attention to the cardboard boxes.

The first contained a pair of black socks and dancing shoes, along with a belt. Kyle sighed. Yes, the dance. He’d have to pray that he remembered how to do dance before he went and made a fool of himself. He set the footwear aside and opened the second box. Inside lay a long-sleeved dress shirt, colored royal blue - no doubt color-coordinated with Twilight’s dress, considering Rarity designed both of their outfits. Underneath the shirt lay a darker, midnight blue tie with pale-blue star patterns running down its length.

Well, no use just looking at it all. Time to get ready.

Kyle tossed off his pants and quickly donned the black dress pants rarity had provided, along with the socks. The shirt soon followed, which was tucked into the pants, and the belt was attached. He put on his socks, stepped into his shoes and walked around his room in them for a moment. To his relief, they seemed comfortable enough - at least he wasn’t going to have sore feet in the morning from shoes that were too tight.

His suit jacket remained on his bed as he pulled the tie out. This would be the hard part - he hadn’t tied a tie in the longest time. Not since before the Cataclysm at the very latest. Even so, he managed to get it tied after much struggling, and he pulled it up to his neck.

A knock at his door interrupted him as he reached for the jacket. “Enter,” he called out.

The door swung open, revealing a blonde-haired Human standing in the doorway, dressed in a flowing blue robe that identified her as a mage. She took a step inside and looked over at Kyle. “Commander,” she greeted. “I’m assuming that tonight is the Grand Galloping Gala?”

Kyle nodded. “Yes. And I’m in the middle of getting ready, so -”

“Of course. I didn’t mean to interrupt,” the mage nodded. She reached behind her back and produced an envelope. “This just arrived for you, sir,” she continued, placing the letter on the table next to the door. She looked back up at Kyle and frowned slightly. “My apologies, but your tie is… well, to put it bluntly, it’s a disaster.”

Kyle groaned. “It’s been a long time since I’ve tied a tie, alright?” he sighed. “I’m doing my best here.”

“Well here, let me fix it.” The mage took a few more steps into the room and reached for Kyle’s tie. It was quickly undone, and she flattened it out before wrapping it around Kyle’s neck again.

Kyle sighed once more. “Thanks,” he said. “Sorry I snapped. It’s been a rough week.”

“Not a problem sir.”

“What is your name?”

The mage looked up. “Eva, sir. Eva Vel’Omnis. Frost Mage.”

Kyle nodded. “A strong name,” he said to no one in particular. He tilted his head upwards as Eva began to tie the tie. “Where are you from, Eva?”

“My family is in Stormwind, sir. But I hail originally from Lordaeron. Before the third war.”

Kyle nodded. The implications behind her homeland were clear enough, as Kyle had experienced the fall of Lordaeron firsthand. It was still a painful memory for him.

Eva backed up and looked him up and down. “Much better,” She nodded. “Good luck tonight. And don’t forget the letter that I left.”

“Thank you, Eva,” Kyle replied as she turned and exited the room. He turned his attention back to the envelope that Eva had left behind and reached for it. He tore the top open and pulled out the contents, smiling as he saw what it was. It was a small card from Scootaloo, wishing him luck tonight. He chuckled as he set the card aside. True, it was just a small thing, but it was enough. His heart felt just a little bit lighter as he returned to his bed and put on his suit jacket.

Once he was satisfied that his jacket was on properly, he moved over to the mirror that hung on the far side of his room. The man that looked back at him certainly didn’t look like a soldier, a commander of a military town. He looked almost exactly like one of the Stormwind nobles, except without the top hat and cane. And his hair, which was still unruly. He reached for the comb and did his best to flatten it out, with some success.

A second knock on his door drew his attention. He turned his head towards the door. “Enter,” he called out for the second time that day.

The door swung open again, and Filwin stepped into the room. “Good morning, Comman-” She began, but was silenced as she looked over at him. “Well, you certainly look different,” she commented as she looked him up and down. “It’s a nice change. You should dress up more often. It suits you.”

Kyle shrugged. “Everyone looks better if you drape five hundred gold worth of cloth over them,” he replied. “It’s not worth the cost and effort if there’s not something important going on.”

“If you say so, sir.” Filwin glanced down at the clipboard that she had in her hands. “So, yesterday you took care of what we had on our schedule for today…” she murmured. “And tomorrow you’re taking a day off, since you likely won’t be back until tomorrow morning at the earliest… So I think we’re covered there.” She looked back up at him. “Ready for your 9:00 train?”

Kyle looked over at the clock. 8:25. “Yeah, I think I am.” He and Twilight had met two days before to discuss their plans for today. As a princess, Twilight needed to be in Canterlot a few hours before the Gala to help finish setting up. Kyle would be accompanying her up there. They’d go to the Gala, spend the evening in the castle, and return to Ponyville the following morning.

Filwin nodded and stepped to the side. “Well then, I’d suggest you get going, sir,” she said. “Your train leaves in half an hour, and you certainly don’t want to miss it.”

“Right. Then I guess I’m out of here.” Kyle moved towards the door and closed it as Filwin followed him out. “You’re in charge again until I get back. If anyone notices the Horde, Zinju, anything weird going on, you send a letter to me immediately. Got it?”

Filwin saluted. “Got it, boss.” Kyle watched as she walked down the corridor away from his room, and a moment later heard the door close as she exited the town hall. He stepped back into his room to collect one final thing - a small pouch of bits, which he deposited into his pocket before exiting the room again. He made his way down the corridor as well and exited the town hall, taking the path out of the main gates of Ironwall and down to Ponyville

It wasn’t long before he was wandering through the streets of Ponyville. Heads turned towards him as he walked down the roads towards the train station. Kyle wasn’t known for wearing the finest clothes, as some Humans were known to do. So to see him in a suit was an oddity for any who were familiar with him - that is to say, most of the town.

He made his way to the train station and presented his ticket to the mare behind the ticket window. She gestured him forward onto the platform, where a shining steam engine was waiting with a dozen cars behind it. This wasn’t the usual train that came through Ponyville, but was instead an express to shuttle guests to the Gala faster. Not that there would be many getting on the train at this time. Kyle expected it to be just him and Twilight on the ride up

The train was indeed empty, or at least the front car was. Twilight was already waiting for him as he entered the train. He noted that she had not yet changed into her dress. She waved him over, and he sat down next to her. “I was wondering if you were going to be late,” she said as he settled into his seat.

The train whistle blew as she finished speaking, and the train lurched forward into motion as it pulled out of the station. “Nope. Right on time,” he chuckled. He glanced over at Twilight. “I’m guessing you’re getting ready up in Canterlot?” he asked.

“Yes. Rarity had my dress shipped up to the palace earlier this week.”

For a long while, the two fell into silence. The scenery outside the window opposite them slowly changed, from an increasingly distant view of Ponyville to vast fields and farms, and soon enough into forests. The train was certainly moving faster than the usual train - Kyle predicted that it wouldn’t be more than two hours before they arrived in Canterlot.

Kyle glanced over and just barely caught Twilight turning her head away. The two continued to avoid eye contact as the train ride continued, and the air around them became increasingly tense. Kyle silently willed the train to go even faster, if for no other reason than to end the awkward silence.

Finally, after nearly half an hour, he could stand it no longer. “Nervous?” he asked.

“Hm?” Twilight turned her head and met Kyle’s eyes for the first time since they had left the station. “I, uh… A bit,” she admitted. “You?”

“Same.”

Silence fell again. Thankfully, this one was shorter. “So… all the princesses are… bringing someone, or somepony, to this?” he asked. Twilight nodded. “So I’m assuming Princess Cadence and your brother are going together. Do you have any idea who Princess Celestia or Princess Luna are going to dance with?”

Twilight paused for a moment before shaking her head. “No, not really,” she admitted. A small smile crossed her lips. “I guess it’ll be fun to see when the time comes.”

“That it will,” Kyle agreed. “Do you know anyone else who’s going to be there?”

“Well, there are a few Ponies who show up every year.” Twilight tapped her chin with her hoof. “There’s Prince Blueblood, Princess Celestia’s 'nephew' of sorts. He’s a direct descendant of Princess Platinum, one of the founders of Equestria… Let’s see… Fancy Pants and Fleur de Lis, two of the most prominent Ponies in Canterlot’s high society. The Wonderbolts are almost always there. And I believe there are going to be a number of people from Azeroth there tonight as well.” Twilight’s smile grew slightly wider. “I’ve even heard that King Varian may be attending.”

Kyle nodded slowly. “I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised by that,” he said. An image came into his mind of King Varian in a suit, and he couldn’t help but smile a bit. “It’ll be odd to see the King without his armor on,” he continued.

“Well it’s a bit odd to see you dressed up, too.” Twilight retorted. Kyle looked over at her. “You look nice, by the way,” she added as her cheeks took on a slightly redder hue. “You should consider dressing up like this more often.”

“So I’ve been told.” Kyle leaned back in his seat and settled in a little more. “I’ll make a note of it.”

The rest of their trip passed in silence. Twilight curled up in her seat and closed her eyes, and soon she drifted off into a nap. Kyle listened as her breathing slowed, and he closed his eyes as well. However, a nap was not on his mind. Instead, he turned his mind inward and began to mentally prepare for the day and evening ahead.

He’d be lying if he said he wasn't worried. He’d been nervous about the Gala even before the events of this week. He had some experience dancing, but it had been a while, and he’d never tried to do so with a Pony. How they’d manage, he had no idea, but he was certain that it would be a bit awkward.

And now, he had the Horde to worry about. Oh sure, they were way far away, outside of Equestria’s borders. But the Grand Galloping Gala was said to be one of the biggest events of the year in Equestria. Important Ponies and other members of the Alliance were all congregating into one spot. And no one in the Alliance would ever forget the last time that had happened. How many lives were lost in Theramore when that bomb went off…

Even through his closed eyelids, Kyle’s vision flashed red for an instant. Even the memory of Theramore filled Kyle with such rage… And now those monsters were here in Equestria. Even if they were supposed to have a non-aggression treaty, Kyle knew better. Experience had taught him to know better than to trust any so-called treaty signed by the Horde. Hell, they were fighting on some piddly little island in Draenor when they were supposed to be working with the Alliance to stop the Iron Horde. There was no reason for the Horde to cooperate here, not unless a lone Troll working for the Burning Legion was considered a reason.

Kyle noticed a sharp pain is his palms, bringing him reeling back from his thoughts. He found his fists clenched tightly, and his nails had begun to dig sharply into his palms. He quickly unclenched his fists, but the marks still remained. He sighed and closed his eyes again. He’d let his anger get the best of him. Something he knew better than to allow to happen. But the rage had come on so suddenly... He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Relax,” he murmured to himself. “King Varian knows about the Horde being here. The Princesses know. They’re going to have security all over Canterlot. The Horde won’t be able to get close to the gala. We’re not going to have another Theramore here.”

Kyle fell silent and turned his mind inward. His mind was roiling with emotions - nervousness, fear, the echoes of the rage he had just dispelled. It would do no good to do his usual meditation. He had to find peace within himself first. And so he was comfortable simply soothing himself for a while.

It was only when the train began to slow that he opened one eye. The sight outside the window was a sheer cliff face, but it almost instantly vanished. In its place lay the outskirts of Canterlot, and off in the distance, the station. Kyle glanced up at the clock. Nearly 11. Just as he had predicted. He nudged Twilight to wake her, and the pair waited as the train slowly approached the station. Before long, they stopped with a small jolt. The pair made their way off of the train and out of the station into the city. Kyle took a deep breath and steeled himself.

Show time.