• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 29,337 Views, 1,891 Comments

Smoke and Mirrors - TeaPartyCannon



A changeling needs the help of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy to avoid imprisonment.

  • ...
56
 1,891
 29,337

Chapter 3: Misadventures in Ponyville Part 1

On the way to Ponyville, Mirror honestly found herself becoming more and more confident about her future. Sure, Fluttershy had said that there were Canterlot guards within Ponyville and one slip-up could mean a lifetime in the dungeons or worse, but she had two ponies with her who she could trust to keep her secret and she was relatively sure that her shapeshifting and acting skills would help her avoid trouble. She felt like this plan to integrate into pony society might actually work out after all.

Now that they had actually entered Ponyville, however, she was becoming more and more uncertain of that fact. When she looked around the small, humble town, she saw that many ponies were giving her curious looks, and some of them were whispering to each other while casting glances in her direction. The distance between them was a bit too much for her to hear what they were talking about, but their lack of subtlety had Mirror quite convinced that whatever they were saying about her wasn’t good. None of them approached her or her friends as she, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy continued walking through town.

Feeling highly uncomfortable with this strange amount of attention, Mirror put on a burst of speed and flew ahead of Fluttershy to stand close beside Pinkie Pie. The pink earth pony took note of her anxiety, but didn’t seem bothered by it.

“Something wrong, Matchie?” She asked as she continued bouncing through the town.

“They’re all staring at me.” Mirror whispered, landing next to her and glancing back at a group of three earth ponies who she was certain were talking about her.

“Oh, don’t worry about that! You’re just new here, and a new pony is always a big deal in Ponyville!” Pinkie said, dismissing her worries.

“Are you sure about that?” Mirror asked, still doubtful.

“Totally! I told you, as long as Fluttershy and I are here, you have nothing to fear!” Pinkie said, lowering her voice so that none of the other ponies heard her last statement.

Mirror just nodded and looked ahead, trying to ignore the watching eyes around her. “So, where are we going?”

Pinkie Pie stopped bouncing and began looking around. “Well, Twilight’s library is really close by, so Twilight will probably be there, and Rainbow Dash should be there too, since they buddied up together! And after we meet them, then we can head to Carousel Boutique or Sweet Apple Acres to find Rarity and Applejack, since Twilight paired them together, too! So the first thing we’ll do is go to the library and meet Twilight and Rainbow!”

With that decided, Pinkie Pie started bouncing along again, while Mirror stared after her and sighed. “Fine, whatever you say.”

Fluttershy walked up to and stood beside the changeling. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Thanks for asking.” Mirror said. She looked around again and saw two Canterlot pegasus guards patrolling nearby. They didn’t seem to have noticed her yet, but Mirror spread her wings anyway and shot past Fluttershy, flying to catch up to Pinkie Pie.

The three soon found their way to Twilight’s library, which Mirror saw was a large tree made into a building. She assumed that the tree must have been hollowed out in order to make room for the library inside. Pinkie Pie hopped up to the door and excitedly knocked on it.

A few moments later, the door opened, revealing a small purple dragon with green scales. The dragon smiled upon seeing Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.

“Pinkie, Fluttershy! It’s great to see you girls again!” He greeted. “Did you need something?”

“Hi Spike! Are Twilight and Rainbow Dash home?” Pinkie asked him.

“Yeah, Twilight is, but Rainbow-” Spike began.

“Thanks, we have to talk to her! We’ve got some big news to share!” Pinkie Pie squealed, hopping past Spike into the library. Fluttershy followed after her, while Mirror came in last.

“Big new? What-” Spike began, but stopped upon seeing Mirror. “Hey, who’re you?”

“I-I’m Mirror Match.” Mirror answered. Trying to ignore her nervousness, she looked him over curiously. She had never seen a dragon before. He’s smaller than I’d imagined a dragon to be. Maybe he’s still a baby?

“Mirror Match?” Spike repeated, looking at her suspiciously. “But wait, aren’t you that pegasus from-”

“Spike!” A voice called out. Mirror and Spike looked over to see a purple unicorn walking down the stairs, an open book magically floating in front of her. Mirror took note of her dark purple mane and tail with a single pink stripe and her six-star cutie mark, recalling that this unicorn was also present at the battle at Canterlot. “Who is it? Is Rainbow Dash back yet?”

“Um, no, but-” Spike started, only to be interrupted once more by Pinkie Pie.

“Hi Twilight! It’s so good to see you again!” Pinkie greeted the purple unicorn.

“Pinkie,” Twilight gave a good-natured sigh. “We saw each other this morning. It hasn’t been that long. By the way, did you see Rainbow Dash on your way here?”

Pinkie shook her head. “Nope, haven’t seen her! We were hoping she’d be here with you.”

“Well she’s not. She flew off shortly after we got here.” Twilight said, frowning and snorting in frustration. “She’d better come back soon or I’m going to go get her myself. At least you and Fluttershy are listening to my partnership safety measures, though.”

“Um, Twilight? We have a new, uh, guest here.” Spike said, catching Twilight’s attention and pointing a claw at Mirror. The disguised changeling had taken an interest in the library’s large collection of books and was currently sifting through one of them.

Twilight looked at Mirror for a second in disinterest before turning back towards Pinkie. “Okay, I’ll be with her right after-” Twilight’s eyes suddenly widened and her jaw dropped as she did a double-take at the pegasus, staring in complete shock at her.

Mirror once again felt that uncomfortable feeling of attention on her and looked up from her book just in time to see Twilight appear in front of her in a purple flash of magic. The unicorn’s smile was even wider than the ones she had seen on Pinkie Pie, and she was lightly bouncing on her hooves with childish glee. Mirror could have sworn her heart dropped into her stomach right then and there.

“Um…” Mirror said, giving Twilight a small, nervous smile. That giddy spark in her eyes was very unnerving to the changeling. “Can I-”

“Oh. My. Celestia!” Twilight squealed, the smile never leaving her face. “You’re Daring Do! The coat, the mane, the cutie mark; you’re really Daring Do!”

“What-?” Mirror began again, only for a book to be telekinetically shoved in front of her face. Looking at the cover, Mirror saw that it read “Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone.”

“Wait…” Mirror pulled the book out of the air and studied the cover. The pegasus pony on the cover was an identical copy of her. No, she’s not the copy, I am! I chose the form of a fictional character! Of all the rotten luck!

When Mirror thought about it, she actually did remember seeing this pony before. Hadn’t she been a librarian once for a couple of days in Hoofington? She must have seen this Daring Do character in one of that library’s books. This is bad. This is-

“You have to tell me how you did it!” Twilight said, pulling the book away and thrusting her face into Mirror’s, inciting a yelp from the Pegasus. “I mean, you’re a storybook character! Well, you’re obviously not a storybook character, considering you’re standing right here, but storybook characters aren’t real! It’s not scientifically possible; you’re not scientifically possible!”

“I, uh…” Mirror word’s caught in her throat, leaving the changeling speechless. She started subconsciously backing away from Twilight, who walked forward as she did so, continuing to bombard her with questions.

“Although, maybe it’s possible you’re not the Daring Do from the story, at least not exactly,” Twilight went on. “Are you the inspiration for her character? Are you the author, maybe? Perhaps you were friends with the author?”

Mirror soon found her back pressed against the wood wall of the library, leaving her pinned between it and the gushing unicorn. She wanted to take to the air, away from the purple pony, but her wings stayed pinned to her sides and refused to listen to her.

“I’m a big fan of your series; I’ve read all your books.” Twilight continued, levitating the Daring Do book in front of Mirror again. “Meeting you face to face, this is like a dream! You have to sign this book! Actually, don’t sign this book, this is library property. I’ll get my personal copy in a few minutes, then you can sign!”

“Please, stop-” Mirror was shaking from the anxiety now. The changeling found herself wishing the ground would open up and swallow her right there. Twilight was too caught up in her fan-glee and curiosity to notice.

“You have to let me interview you!” Twilight said. “Or maybe run some tests. Are you a magic construct based off of Daring Do, by any chance? That seems like a logical explanation for a fictional character showing up here, and its right up Pinkie Pie’s alley to pull a pony out of a book. Anyway, these tests, I promise they won’t hurt in the slightest, I just want to-”

The large amount of unwanted, obsessive attention focused on her was driving Mirror to her breaking point. Thoughts of what Pinkie had mentioned about her friends on the way to Ponyville, especially about Twilight, ran through the distressed pegasus pony’s mind: about how Twilight was a powerful unicorn and the personal student of Princess Celestia herself. Worse-case scenarios about the unicorn discovering her true nature and obliterating her with a single spell, or just plain handing her over for Celestia’s judgment, flashed through her thoughts as well. She couldn’t take it. Get away from me, stop getting so close! Get away, get away, get away-

“GET AWAY FROM ME!” Mirror screamed. Closing her eyes, she turned and lashed out blindly; her back hooves connected directly with Twilight’s face, sending the surprised unicorn crashing to the library floor several feet away.

A collective gasp rang out throughout the room. “Twilight!” Spike cried out, running to the unicorn’s side.

Mirror stood frozen for several seconds, staring at the scene before her with wide, horrified eyes. Oh dear Chrysalis, what have I done?

“I’m sorry!” Mirror cried, running to stand beside Spike at Twilight’s side. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to! You were just too close; you kept asking questions and you just kept getting closer, and I panicked and, and, I’m sorry! Please forgive me!”

Tears were pooling in the changeling’s eyes as she apologized over and over again. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hit you and I-”

A purple hoof placed itself over Mirror’s mouth, prompting the transformed pegasus to stop talking. Pulling her hoof away, Twilight slowly picked herself back up, standing a little unsteadily, but righting herself soon enough. Mirror let out a shaky sigh of relief that she saw Twilight was okay.

“Ow, that actually hurt.” Twilight winced, placing a hoof over her snout. “Don’t beat yourself up over it though; I’ve been through worse.” The unicorn eyed Pinkie Pie as she spoke, the pink pony smiling sheepishly in response.

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you! I really didn’t!” Mirror said.

Twilight just shook her head. “I told you, I’ve been through much worse. And anyway, it was partly my fault. That was extremely rude of me to just do that to you without warning. I mean, I didn’t even introduce myself to you first!”

“…O-Okay.” Mirror said, taking deep breaths to calm her nerves. It’s okay, it’s okay. She doesn’t hate you, nopony hates you. She forgave you, after all. It’s all okay.

“I mean, really, where did my manners go?” Twilight asked, giving an embarrassed laugh. She held out a hoof to Mirror. “I’m Twilight Sparkle, by the way. Pleased to meet you.”

Mirror reached out her hoof to grab Twilight’s. “I’m-”

“Hey Twilight!” The library door burst open as a blue pegasus with a rainbow mane shot into the room. Mirror screeched in shock and dashed behind Fluttershy, cowering beneath the yellow pony’s tail.

“Rainbow! I told you we have to stick together! The changelings are still out there, and we can’t risk any of us being ponynapped and impersonated!” Twilight reprimanded the rainbow-maned pegasus, giving her an annoyed glare.

“Aw, lighten up Twilight!” Rainbow Dash said, waving a hoof in dismissal. “Rarity and Applejack split up as soon as we got back, and they’re perfectly fine! This whole ‘buddy system’ thing is ridiculous!”

“I don’t think it’s ridiculous.” Pinkie gave her opinion on the matter. “I think it's loads of fun!”

“Oh course you do.” Rainbow Dash scoffed. She turned back towards Twilight and held out a book in her hooves. “Anyway Twi, I had to leave to go get my book! I finished it! “Daring Do and the Alicorn’s Shadow” was amazing; one of the best ones yet! You have the next one, don’t you?”

“Oh course I do, but you still didn’t have to go leave. You could have just read the next one here and gotten the book later.” Twilight said.

“Speaking of Daring Do…” Spike said, tugging on Twilight’s tail to get her attention and pointing to the timid pegasus hiding behind the other timid pegasus.

Knowing that their attention was on her once again, Mirror decided to face the inevitable and slowly crawled out from behind Fluttershy. She turned to face Rainbow Dash and the two made eye contact for exactly three point five seconds before Rainbow started fan-filly squealing.

“Ohmygosh,ohmygosh,ohmygosh,ohmygosh, EEEEEEEE-!” Rainbow’s high-pitched squeal of delight forced Mirror to cover her own highly-sensitive ears to avoid going deaf. She cast a desperate glance at Pinkie and Fluttershy, silently begging them to help. Both ponies exchanged nervous looks, though, not knowing how to handle the situation.

Once again, Mirror found herself all too literally face-to-face with another pony. “You’re Daring Do! THE Daring Do! I can’t believe this, I am your biggest fan!”

“Good to hear…” Mirror said nervously, but it came out so soft that she doubted the rainbow-maned pegasus had even heard it.

“I can’t believe you’re actually here! This is a dream come true! I’ve got to take advantage of this moment…” Rainbow Dash trailed off. She suddenly gasped and held up “Daring Do and the Alicorn’s Shadow” to her. “Here! Sign this book!”

The book was forcefully pulled out of Rainbow’s grasp by Twilight’s magic. “Rainbow! This is library property!”

Rainbow Dash glared at the purple unicorn. “Oh come on, Twilight! You can’t tell me that this library, which you own, wouldn’t benefit from having a Daring Do book signed by Daring Do herself!”

“But I’m not-” Mirror began.

Rainbow turned her attention back to Mirror, eyes gleaming with excitement. “This is so cool! You look just like how I imagined you, down to every detail!”

“Well of course she does, Dashie!” Pinkie said. “She’s on the cover of every book! How could she not look like how you imagined?”

Mirror shot an anger-filled glance at the pink earth pony. You knew?! You knew all along this would happen and you didn’t tell me?!

“Yeah, but she looks exactly like what you’d expect from the greatest adventurer of all time! This messy mane,” Dash tugged on Mirror’s hair as she spoke, “these strong, durable wings,” She pulled up both of Mirror’s wings to full length to show, “and of course this adventuring cutie mark!” Dash gave a light tap to one of the compass rose cutie marks for emphasis.

“Hey, stop that!” Mirror growled, spreading her wings and fluttering a short distance away from Rainbow Dash. She had been rather terrified at first when Rainbow Dash had shown up, but the pegasus and her violation of the changeling’s personal space was pushing down that fear and replacing it with anger and annoyance.

Rainbow looked at the disguised pony with slight surprise, the action having brought her attention to Mirror’s injured leg, which was still wrapped in bandages even after her transformation.

“Oh wow, your leg! Did you injure it? How? Where?” Rainbow Dash asked, lifting up Mirror’s bandaged leg.

“I told you to stop that!” Mirror shouted, forcefully pulling her leg away and hopping backwards. Her indignation at the pegasus had pushed aside all thoughts of fear or paranoia out of her mind.

“Hey, what’s your deal?” Rainbow asked, flying up to her. “You were a lot nicer in the books!”

“Well maybe I’d be nicer if you showed some respect, stopped invading my space, and gave me some time to think!” Mirror shot back, wings flaring outward and tail lashing in frustration.

Rainbow was shocked by her outburst, and the blue pegasus pony descended to the ground. She looked away from Mirror and pawed at the ground in embarrassment. “…You’re right. Maybe I did go a bit too far. But can you blame me? You’re Daring Do; you’re the greatest adventurer in the history of adventurers! Your books are so cool they got me into reading!”

“But I’m not Daring Do!” Mirror cried.

At this, Rainbow Dash fell silent and every pony in the room looked at her with shock and confusion.

Rainbow was the first to break the silence. “What do you mean, you’re not Daring Do?”

“Exactly that. I’m not Daring Do; my name is Mirror Match.” Mirror said. A part of her was screaming at her that this was a bad idea, but Mirror ignored it. She couldn’t keep up the charade of a character she knew nothing about; she’d only get discovered sooner.

“Mirror Match? What kind of name is that for a pegasus?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“It’s my name!” Mirror shouted, though inwardly she agreed. That part of her that always insulted the name was probably laughing hysterically right now.

“But I don’t get it,” Twilight spoke up. “If you’re not Daring Do, why do you look so much like her?”

Mirror was about to reply when Rainbow Dash flew up in her face again. “Yeah, why? You’ve got her mane, her eyes, her wings…” Rainbow said, reaching for her mane only for Mirror to slap her hoof away.

“What did I just say about that?” Mirror growled.

“How can you not be Daring Do? You’ve even got her adventuring cutie mark!” Rainbow continued, pointing at the compass roses.

“But it’s not an adventuring cutie mark!” Mirror said.

“It’s not?” Twilight asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion. Rainbow Dash mimicked the action.

“No! It’s a traveling cutie mark!” Granted, that sounded a lot better in her head, but it could still work if she played her cards right.

“A traveling cutie mark? Yeah, right! I think I know what you really are!” Rainbow Dash said, pointing a hoof at Mirror’s snout. “I think you’re a changeling spy disguised as Daring Do!”

Everyone except Rainbow Dash and Mirror gasped at the accusation. Twilight and Spike were absolutely shocked, while Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy looked like they wanted to intervene, but weren’t sure how to without worsening the situation.

“What? I’m not a… whatever it was you just said!” Mirror said, thinking quickly despite the fearful pounding in her chest. She couldn’t let things fall apart here!

“What, you haven’t heard about the changelings yet? Princess Celestia sent messengers out to every city and town to spread the word.” Rainbow Dash said.

“I don’t have a traveling cutie mark for nothing, you know!” Mirror retorted. “I haven’t been to a single town in days. I only just arrived in Ponyville this morning!”

“Oh yeah?” Rainbow Dash asked, still suspicious.

“Yeah! Fluttershy and I found Matchie near her cottage this morning!” Pinkie Pie intervened, hopping next to Mirror. “We were going to show her around Ponyville today and introduce her to everypony, and we came here first!”

Mirror gave an inward sigh of relief and smiled gratefully at Pinkie Pie. Thanks for backing me up.

Rainbow Dash still didn’t look convinced. “Alright, fine, but that still doesn’t explain why you look exactly like Daring Do? Well, have you got an explanation for that, too?”

“It’s a coincidence!” Mirror shot back desperately.

“Really, a coincidence?” Rainbow repeated, “You really expect us to believe that it’s a coincidence you look exactly like the main character of a very popular adventure book series?”

“Yes! It’s just a coincidence! A series of horrible, unfortunate coincidences…” Mirror trailed off, letting her head and wings drop low.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked, trying to be the voice of rationality in the interrogation.

“It… it really is just that.” Mirror said, sadness entering her tone of voice. Come on, Mirror, you can do this! Tell them a story, make it believable. You’re a changeling, remember, you make up stories all the time! You can come up with something!

She continued on. “My parents, well, let’s just say they really liked the Daring Do series. A lot. And when I was born, a pegasus with magenta eyes, a tan coat, and a grayscale mane and tail, they instantly noticed the similarities; they were ecstatic. They named me Mirror Match, since I was, well, a mirror match of Daring Do, and they did everything they could to make me exactly like her. They made sure my mane had her same messy look, and they took me out constantly; camping, hiking, you name it, in the hopes I’d discover a talent for adventuring. They saw me as nothing but their little doll to model as they saw fit.”

Mirror paused at that point, and briefly looked around. Everyone, especially Twilight and Rainbow Dash, looked captivated by her story. Good. “After a while, I’d had enough. I wanted an identity for myself. So I left, and I traveled in order to find someplace where I’d be liked for who I was, not who I looked like. But during my travels, I got, well, you know…” She looked forlornly at her cutie mark. “Who knows, maybe that was fate’s way of telling me my destiny really was to be nothing but a copy of Daring Do after all.”

Still wearing a mask of misery, Mirror looked around, silently and somewhat guiltily relishing in the looks of horror on Twilight, Rainbow, and Spike’s faces. Good, seems that my story did the trick. Maybe now they’ll stop questioning me.

“Oh my, I’m so sorry Mirror.” Twilight was the first to speak up. “We didn’t know.”

“Yeah, sorry.” Rainbow Dash agreed. “That was horrible of me, accusing you of being a changeling just like that. It’s just, you know, hysteria. The whole town’s completely on edge over them right now.”

“That’s okay. I don’t blame you, as long as you understand now.” Mirror said, pushing down the small feelings of guilt forming within her. What’s with me? It’s not like I haven’t lied to anypony before, so why’s it bothering me now?

Twilight walked over and placed a hoof on Mirror’s shoulder. “Well, as long as that’s settled. I can’t believe your parents would do something like that, though.”

“Yeah, those rotten jerks!” Rainbow Dash growled. “What kind of parents could do that to their kid? It’s unbelievable! If I ever see them…”

“No, its fine now, I’m not going to worry about them anymore and you shouldn’t either.” Mirror said. “Though, who knows, maybe this’ll finally be the town in which I can start over.”

“Of course, and if that’s the case, allow me to officially welcome you to Ponyville!” Twilight said. “If you ever need anything, just come and ask us. We’ll be happy to help.”

“Yeah, what she said! Though if you don’t mind, I mean, I know you probably hate the series by now, but Twilight’s really the only one of my friends I can talk to about it. So, if you don’t mind, maybe we could get together and talk one day?” Rainbow asked, smiling nervously.

“Sure, I’d like to do that.” Mirror said, nodding and smiling warmly in turn. Note to self: read every Daring Do book before ever talking to this mare again.

“Well, this has certainly been a barrel full of laughs and drama, but it’s about time we got going now.” Pinkie Pie said, jumping into the conversation. “Time’s a-wasting and we have a lot of ponies to meet!”

“Alright. Bye, Rainbow, bye Twilight!” Mirror said, addressing both ponies as she started walking towards the door with Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.

“Hey, what about me?” Spike asked.

“Bye, Spike.” The disguised changeling said as she passed him. The dragon smiled at the recognition.

“Goodbye girls! You’ll be in for quite the excitement, Mirror.” Twilight said, remembering her first visit to Ponyville. “Trust me, I should know.”

Mirror nodded in acknowledgement and shut the library door behind her as she walked out, turning to Pinkie and Fluttershy.

“Wow Matchie, that was quite the story!” Pinkie told her. “I actually believed it for a while. Before I remembered it was fake, that is.”

“Where did you come up with that?” Fluttershy asked.

“Made it up on the spot.” Mirror said, walking past them. “Though I hope I never have to do that ever again...”

The changeling stopped and stared as she saw a large group of ponies approaching them. She had a feeling that it was because of her, and sighed inwardly. I have this slight feeling that the universe hates me.

The group of ponies quickly formed a half-circle around the three. Mirror could hear some of them whispering something, but too many were speaking at once to make anything out.

Finally, an earth pony with blue and pink hair and three candies for a cutie mark spoke up. “It is her! Daring Do! It’s really her!”

Mirror felt her heart sink again as the mob of ponies broke out into loud chattering about her and began slowly walking forward. Not again…

“Never fear, girls! I have a plan!” Pinkie said.

“You do?” Mirror and Fluttershy asked, looking both fearful and hopeful at the same time.

“Yep, and I’m sure it’ll work! If Twilight can do it, so can we!” Pinkie said. The pink pony then pulled out a record player from nowhere. “Come on, girls, let’s… Yakpony Sax!”

Pinkie Pie turned and bucked the player, starting up a wacky, fast-paced tune. She pulled out her party cannon and set it off right next to Mirror, who shrieked and shot off, leaving the other two to catch up while the crowd of fan ponies followed them.

Dashing into a nearby costume shop, a short ruckus left the three ponies standing behind the store’s display window in ballerina outfits. They stood and posed just as the crowd rushed past them, though not two seconds later, Mirror lost her balance and fell over, attracting their attention. Leaving the costumes behind, the three shot out of the store in the opposite direction.

Running out of Ponyville to the nearby lake, Pinkie Pie hopped into a fishing boat on the shore, with Mirror and Fluttershy jumping in after, and paddled off, ignoring the boat’s owner’s indignant shouts. Once they were out in the middle, Pinkie Pie took out three fishing hats and plopped two on her friends’ heads, who looked at her in confusion as she pulled out a fishing rod. Feeling a tug, Pinkie pulled on the rod, pulling out a grey pegasus with a snorkel mask. Several other ponies in snorkel masks surfaced around the boat, so Pinkie dropped the rod, the pony still on it, and quickly paddled back to shore. They jumped and took off running.

Going back to Ponyville, the three ponies ducked into another store. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy ran out the other door, Fluttershy in a dress and bonnet and Pinkie wearing a fake beard and Hawaiian shirt, pushing a baby carriage between them. The crowd of fans ran right past them, and the two looked into the carriage. A baby Mirror was glaring at them both, magenta eyes narrowed in annoyance. Smiling nervously, they turned and carted off in the other direction, ditching the clothes once again. Turning a corner into an alley as the mob ran past them yet again, Mirror jumped out of the carriage into a nearby dumpster. A brief flash of green followed, and the pegasus, now fully aged once more, tossed off her bib and diaper and flew off again, the two following her.

Coming out into the open again, Mirror suddenly stopped as she saw two Canterlot guards facing away from them just several meters away. Fluttershy, who had been flying behind her, crashed into her due to the sudden stop, and Pinkie Pie bounced into them right after, sending all three sprawling on the ground in a heap. They quickly recovered and dashed behind a fruit stand as the guards turned in their direction, but seeing nothing, the guards shrugged and left. Looking out from behind the stand to make sure the coast was clear, the three ponies shot off again.

As they entered back into the main part of town, Pinkie Pie suddenly shouted, “Wait!” The other two heeded her call, turning to face her in confusion. Pinkie turned and bucked her record player, which was set right next to her, turning it off. “There! I think that’s good enough for now!”

Mirror looked around and realized they were back in front of Twilight’s library, and that several other ponies that weren’t part of the mob were now staring at them. “We’re right back where we started!”

Mirror then heard a cry of “There she is!” from behind her, and turned to see the crowd of fan ponies chasing them once more. She felt ready to cry. Why didn’t I pick a different form? Why didn’t I listen to Fluttershy’s incredibly vague warning?

Well, regrets weren’t going to help her right now. Ducking behind Pinkie Pie, the changeling cowered and shouted, “Do something, Pinkie!”

“Alright Matchie, just leave it to me!” Pinkie said. She cleared her throat, then hollered at the top of her lungs, “AHHH! IT’S A CHANGELING! EVERYPONY RUN!”

The pink pony pointed at a random blue stallion, who only had time to say “What?” before five ponies jumped him. Everypony else who had heard her began screaming and running in terror. Pinkie gave a smug smile to her completely shocked changeling friend.

Her smile quickly fell away, however, as a green light flashed briefly from under the pile, and one of the Canterlot guards, who had come to break them up, pulled a dazed changeling out from the pile.

Pinkie turned back towards Mirror, who looked one step away from having a panic attack. “I Pinkie Promise you I was not expecting that,” She pleaded.

Fluttershy looked nervously around. “Maybe we should leave.”

“Agreed, let’s go!” Pinkie Pie said, laughing nervously as she and Fluttershy started pulling the unresponsive pegasus-changeling away.

In the surrounding chaos, no one noticed the three ponies quickly fleeing the scene.