• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 29,343 Views, 1,891 Comments

Smoke and Mirrors - TeaPartyCannon



A changeling needs the help of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy to avoid imprisonment.

  • ...
56
 1,891
 29,343

Chapter 2: Truly a Miracle

Mirror slowly opened her eyes, dimly noticing that the world around her was once again fractured into multiple images through her compound eyes. Shaking her head to try and clear away some of the weariness she felt, she looked down and saw that she was covered by a thick pink and orange blanket with a butterfly print. The changeling quickly squirmed out from under it and stood on top of the pillow she had been lying on. Frantically glancing around, she briefly wondered what was going on when the events from before came rushing back to her.

Looking down at herself, Mirror saw that she was back in her original changeling form, her Pegasus disguise having failed when she was knocked unconscious. So much for remaining inconspicuous. Nice going, Mirror Match.

Still fuming silently, the changeling glanced down again and saw that her broken foreleg was now covered in a white bandaged cast. She gave it an experimental shake and step, noting with delight that it did not burn with pain at either action. Did one of those ponies do this? That was nice of them.

Mirror shook her head again to clear out the thought. Chrysalis’s crown, Mirror, focus! These ponies are the enemy! They’ll throw you in the Canterlot dungeon the first chance they get!

The changeling’s anger quickly turned to doubt, however, as she looked at the cast on her foreleg; an obvious act of kindness. So then, why did they help me?

Without the previous noise of the animals surrounding her back outside, Mirror was now painfully aware of how the only thought in her head was her own, and how she had truly lost all connection with the swarm. She felt terribly alone without their thoughts surrounding her. Hoping to take her mind off it, she slowly observed the room that she was in. It was a bedroom with a very natural feel to it, thanks to the wooden structure, vines, and bird houses lining the roof supports. The room itself was rather sparsely decorated, with a large bookshelf and a few paintings being the only extraneous additions within it. It was quiet, calm, and it filled the changeling with a sense of comfort and relief.

At least her previous weariness was gone. Knocked unconscious or not, she felt much better than she did when she first woke up in that crater.

The soft sound of hooves on wood suddenly caught Mirror’s attention. She froze and stared down at the stairs leading to the first floor of the house. The yellow pony she recognized from before quietly stuck her head out, looking at the now-awake changeling with a mix of curiosity and fear in her eyes.

The changeling and Pegasus stared at each other for several seconds, neither one moving an inch. The awkward tension was beginning to get to Mirror, who quietly began feeling for her magic in case she needed to defend herself, only to be painfully reminded once more about her broken horn and lost power.

Several more seconds passed, and Mirror decided to ease the tension by smiling at the Pegasus, who she now remembered was called Fluttershy. Unfortunately, her smile came out forced and nervous, and the only thing her smile did was show off her long, sharp fangs, startling Fluttershy and sending her hurrying downstairs with a soft ‘Eep!’

Mirror’s smile fell and she let herself fall down onto the pillow she had been clinging to, smacking her face into it. Of course, since it was a pillow, the impact wasn’t nearly as forceful as she would have liked. I am an idiot. A complete idiot. Might as well throw me in a dungeon right now, since there’s no way I’m getting out of this without some sort of miracle.

Suddenly the bright pink earth pony from earlier popped her head out from the stairway. “HI!”

Mirror screeched in shock and instinctively dived under the bed’s covers. They were quickly pulled off, however, and the changeling found herself staring into the smiling face of Pinkie Pie.

“Silly Matchie, there aren’t any ponies under there; we’re out here! Come on out already! That means you too, Fluttershy!” Pinkie said, turning her head back to the opening in the floor. In response to her friend’s call, the timid Pegasus slowly climbed back up the stairs and entered the bedroom.

Satisfied, Pinkie Pie turned her attention back to Mirror. “Are you alright, Matchie? Did you sleep well? We were really worried when you crashed into that tree and didn’t wake up; I mean, Rainbow Dash crashes all the time and she’s always completely fine! Well, there was that one time where she ended up in the hospital, but I’m pretty sure that was a special case! You are alright, though, aren’t you?”

Mirror stared blankly at the pink pony, trying to keep up with the flood of words escaping the pony’s mouth. When she realized that Pinkie was done talking and waiting for an answer, she hastily nodded and stammered out, “Y-Yeah, I-I think so...”

This got both Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy to look at her in slight shock. Mirror felt very uncomfortable underneath their gazes. “What? Never heard a changeling talk before?”

Fluttershy shook her head while Pinkie said, “Nope! The changelings we fought in Canterlot just made mean noises like ‘grr’ and ‘hiss’ and stuff like that. Never heard one speak before, unless you count that evil Queen Meanie who tried to ruin the wedding-”

“Her name is Queen Chrysalis!” Mirror shouted in anger, interrupting Pinkie Pie. “And she is not evil! She is a caring and wonderful ruler who only invaded Canterlot so that her subjects wouldn’t starve and could survive! You have no right to talk about her like that!”

Ending her tirade, Mirror suddenly realized that both ponies were staring at her in complete shock; Pinkie’s jaw was even hanging open, leaving the earth pony was completely speechless for once. Her indignation was quickly replaced with embarrassment, and the changeling turned around and plopped her face into a pillow to hide her shame. “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…” She tried saying, though her words were muffled by the pillow and the two likely didn’t hear her.

Mirror felt two hooves wrap around her waist, and the changeling was pulled up into a hug from behind by Pinkie Pie. “It’s okay, Matchie. You’re right; I shouldn’t have said those things in front of you like that. I mean, if you started saying mean things about Princess Celestia, I probably would have gotten angry about it too!”

“Really?” Mirror asked.

“Totally! I mean, sure, they’re completely different since Princess Celestia never tried invading the changeling land as far as we know, but that’s not important right now, is it?” Pinkie said, spinning Mirror around so that the two were facing each other. “You must really look up to her, huh?”

“Yeah,” Mirror said, “She’s my queen, after all. She takes care of the entire swarm, and she gave us all life. So she’s not just my queen; she’s my mother too, I guess.”

Really?” Pinkie asked. “Queen Chrysa-watsit-”

“Chrysalis.” Mirror corrected.

“Right, Chrysalisa-watsit, she’s your mom?!” Pinkie’s grin widened even further, and her eyes shone with excitement. “So if you’re the daughter of a queen, does that make you a princess?”

“What? No!” Mirror shouted, surprised at the idea. She had honestly never thought of it like that before. “The entire swarm, we’re all her children. They’re all my brothers and sisters. If you went by that logic, we’d all be princes and princesses.”

“You’re all princes and princesses?! That’s so amazing!” Pinkie Pie cheered, obviously missing the point of what Mirror had said.

Caught up in her excitement, Pinkie started bouncing up and down on the bed, going on about changeling royalty. Mirror, who was a lot lighter than Pinkie Pie, was thrown into the air with each bounce. Since they were on a bed, crashing into it each time didn’t hurt, but it was still really annoying nonetheless.

Mirror was just about to put her wings to use and fly off when Fluttershy flew next to the bouncing Pinkie Pie and whispered something in her ear. Mirror’s keen hearing picked up little phrases like “...should stop...” and “…you’re scaring her…”, but her frequent meetings with the bed were making it difficult to concentrate.

When Fluttershy finished talking, Pinkie suddenly stopped bouncing, letting Mirror hit the bed one last time with a little “Oomph!”

Pinkie Pie picked Mirror up again and pulled her into another hug. This pony has no sense of personal space! The changeling thought. Well, at least it lets me take in her love more easily. It is really nice after all; very sweet…

“Matchie, I told you before, there’s no need to be scared. I promise I won’t do anything to hurt you.” Pinkie Pie said, pulling away from her.

“Oh, you mean like last time?” Mirror asked, a hint of agitation entering her voice as the memory of the invasion came back to her.

“What last time?” Pinkie asked, cocking her head to the side in confusion.

“What, you don’t remember?” Mirror asked back.

“Um, not really.” Pinkie said, looking thoughtful. “Should I have?”

“How can you not remember me? You shot me in the face with unicorn magic!” Mirror shouted.

“That doesn’t narrow it down much. I shot a shot a lot of changelings in the face with unicorn magic. And my party cannon; can’t forget my party cannon.” Pinkie Pie said, still trying to recall the incident Mirror was talking about.

“S-Seriously?! You had me take your form, then you blasted me because you’d “seen better!” How can you not remember-!” Mirror said, her voice quickly rising in volume, before she suddenly stopped. The changeling stood still for a second longer before her entire body drooped down and an aura of depression radiated out from her.

Of course she wouldn’t remember me. She thought. Why would she? It’s not like I’m anything special, after all. I’m just a simple drone; I’m just like every other changeling in the swarm. Just like every… other… changeling…

The changeling’s sudden misery was affecting the two other ponies as well. Fluttershy looked highly uncomfortable, and even Pinkie’s smile looked the slightest bit more nervous. “Hey now…” Pinkie said, placing her hooves onto Mirror’s hole-ridden ones. “If being forgotten upsets you that much, I won’t do it again. I’ll remember you from now on.”

“No, it’s okay.” Mirror said, recovering and trying to look unbothered. “It’s not your fault. I was just one out of hundreds of changelings, after all; nothing special.”

“Hmm, I think I do remember you now.” Pinkie Pie said. “Well, I say you were definitely the most fun out of all those changelings, so that makes you special in my book! How many of them would have actually tried to be me?”

“Well, actually a lot of my siblings took your form- oh, you mean actually you.” Mirror said, smiling at the realization. “Yeah, I suppose most wouldn’t try to get in character during a battle.”

“Exactly! That makes you the most fun!” Pinkie agreed. “Even if your disguise did need a little work.”

Mirror swore she heard a record needle scratch right then and there. Her smile fell away instantly, and she glared at the pink earth pony for once again insulting her abilities. Pinkie Pie was unaware she had said anything wrong.

“Um, excuse me,” Fluttershy spoke up, having been silent for quite a while. “Miss Match?”

“Uh, you can call me Mirror; it’s my name. My real name, that is. I just added on the ‘Match’ part in order to make it sound more pony-like.” The changeling said sheepishly. And it’s still just as stupid and blatantly changeling as when you first made it up!

“Oh, okay. Mirror, if you don’t mind me asking, what happened to your… horn?” Fluttershy asked, the last word coming out as a barely-audible squeak. Mirror caught it anyway.

“Oh, that. It must have broken off when I crashed after the invasion. I don’t know what happened for sure.” She said, choosing to leave out the fact that she was nearly incapable of using any magic without it. Better not make myself look any weaker than I already am.

“Oh, I’m sorry for your loss.” Fluttershy said. “Will it grow back?”

“…Yeah, it’ll grow back in time.” Mirror lied. It’ll never grow back on its own. Not without Queen Chrysalis’s magic, anyway. I’m stuck like this unless I can find her again.

“…You know what I think we need?” Pinkie Pie suddenly spoke up, grinning happily. Both Fluttershy and Mirror looked at her in confusion.

“What? It’s not another song, is it?” Mirror asked, feeling that annoyingly familiar sense of anxiety bubbling within her.

“Nope! What we need is some tea! And cookies!” Pinkie answered. “Tea and cookies! It’ll be a tea party!”

Mirror looked to Fluttershy for an explanation. “Tea party?”

“Well, I made some tea and Pinkie baked cookies while we were waiting for you to wake up, so… tea and cookies.” Fluttershy said, not having much of an explanation beyond that.

“A tea party for the three of us! It’ll be so fun! I’ll get it all ready!” Pinkie Pie said, hopping off the bed and bouncing down the staircase.

Mirror fluttered her wings and landed on the ground, stepping in line with Fluttershy and following Pinkie Pie down the stairs. The changeling could still sense the pegasus’s unease, and she felt she had to try and dispel some of that fear somehow. “…I’m sorry.”

Fluttershy looked up at Mirror, surprise evident in her expression. “Sorry? For what?”

“For scaring you after I woke up. I’m sorry; I was just trying to be friendly.” Mirror explained.

Fluttershy looked at the changeling’s face for a few more seconds, studying it before giving a small smile. “Oh, that. You don’t have to apologize for that; I overreacted. It was my fault. It was sweet of you to say sorry, though.”

“Thanks.” Mirror said, giving a smaller, more relaxed smile than before. A little bit of Fluttershy’s fear had lessened with her apology, and that was good enough for now.

When the two reached the first floor of Fluttershy’s cottage, they found that Pinkie Pie was already setting up the small table, placing a plate of sugar cookies next to a flower-decorated teapot and three similarly-designed teacups. Mirror took a look around the main living room. Like the bedroom, it had a very natural feel to it, with a lot of wooden furniture and several animal houses and nests along the ceiling. She couldn’t help admiring just how quaint and calming the entire place was.

“Come on Matchie, eat up!” Pinkie called. Mirror looked over and saw that both she and Fluttershy were already sitting at the table. “It’s delicious!”

Mirror sat down and looked at her cup of tea and share of cookies. A shadow of doubt was starting to creep into her as she thought about the situation. Two ponies happily chatting with her and inviting her to eat with them… it almost seemed too good to be true. Why are they doing this? I’m a changeling, I tried to hurt them and their land was almost destroyed because of the swarm. Why are they being so nice? They’re not trying to lull me into a false state of security, are they?

“What’s wrong?” Pinkie Pie asked, her mouth full of cookies that she had messily dug into. “Your tea will get cold if you don’t drink it. You don’t want cold tea, do you?”

“…You didn’t put in sleeping pills or anything like that so you could throw me in the Canterlot dungeons, did you?” Mirror finally asked, still staring at her tea. Admittedly, the question was pretty ridiculous, but the doubt was getting to her and she had to be sure.

“…Silly Matchie!” Pinkie Pie said, laughing at the thought. “What kind of friend would I be if I drugged ponies and dragged them down to dark, underground dungeons? Not a very good one, in my opinion.”

“I suppose, but, you know, we did try to take over Equestria…” Mirror said, the volume of her voice dropping with each word.

Pinkie waved her hoof dismissively. “So what? That’s all in the past now! Nopony got too hurt, after all, so everything’s fine. Though, I suppose you guys did get hurt, but if you think about it, you’ve sort of made up for it that way then, right?”

“I guess… you promise you won’t do anything, though?” Mirror asked.

“Yup! I Pinkie Promise I won’t throw you in a dungeon or let anything bad happen to you!” Pinkie Pie said.

“Pinkie Promise?”

“Yeah! Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!” Pinkie recited, doing a series of hoof movements along with the chant. “You can count on me!”

Mirror still didn’t quite understand what a “Pinkie Promise” was, but she knew that the earth pony was sincere in her vow. Relaxing, the changeling finally took a sip of her tea and started munching on one of the cookies. Both were very good, she had to admit; Pinkie and Fluttershy were both clearly talented at making food. Still, neither the tea nor the cookies really appealed to her in any way but taste. She fed on love and emotions, after all; pony food provided little sustenance to her species.

“How is it?” Fluttershy asked.

“Delicious. The tea has just the right spice and the cookies are really sweet.” Mirror answered. Just because tangible food didn’t nourish her didn’t mean she couldn’t recognize quality food, after all.

“Thanks Matchie! We figured we might as well have something for you to eat when you woke up, and what better to wake up to than tea and cookies? Well, I think cupcakes are better, but sugar cookies are good too.” Pinkie Pie said, going off on a tangent again as she started talking about different kinds of desserts and the best time to eat them.

“Speaking of which, how long was I out?” Mirror asked, taking another sip of her tea. She decided not to tell them that their kindness and happiness fed her much better than any sort of food.

“Just a few hours. Nothing too bad.” Fluttershy answered.

“…And cheesecake is best in the afternoon when- oh, right! And now that you’re feeling better, Matchie, you can just finish eating and we can head out to Ponyville!” Pinkie Pie added.

Mirror, who was in the middle of her sip, suddenly sputtered and started choking on her drink. Barely getting it down, she gasped out through large, deep breaths, “Go out?! To Ponyville?!”

“Yeah, you can’t stay in Fluttershy’s cottage forever. You have to go out and meet everyone in Ponyville eventually, so why not now?” Pinkie explained. “Besides, the sooner we get there, the sooner I can start making preparations for your welcome party!”

“B-But I can’t!” The changeling cried, panic seizing her once more. “Your friends, they were at Canterlot! If I go meet them, they’ll all hate me!”

“They won’t hate you, silly! I mean, sure, they can hold grudges every now and then, especially against those who have tried to destroy Equestria, but that doesn’t mean that…” Pinkie suddenly broke off as she actually heard the words coming out of her mouth for once. “…Yeah, they’ll hate you.”

“Exactly! That’s why I can’t go!” Mirror repeated.

“But you’re a nice changeling; you’re not like those other ‘Meanie McMeaniepants’ changelings. Sure, they’ll be mad at first, but if we explain things to them-” Pinkie Pie said.

“NO!” Mirror shouted. “All they’ll see is another changeling that tried to conquer Equestria. They’ll have me thrown in a dungeon, or banished to the badlands, or thrown in a dungeon in the badlands! There’s no love in the badlands!”

“But-” Pinkie tried again.

“No! No good will come of your friends or any other pony in Ponyville seeing me. You promised you wouldn’t let anything bad happen! You Pinkie Promised!”

This got Pinkie Pie to stop talking. She looked thoughtful for a moment before giving Mirror a warm smile. “Alright, Matchie, a promise is a promise. We won’t tell them that you’re a changeling, right Fluttershy?”

“Of course not; it really would just cause more harm than good. There were a lot of Canterlot guards in Ponyville when we came back, after all.” Fluttershy agreed. “But, you’re still a changeling. Maybe you could just be somepony else when we’re in Ponyville?”

Mirror thought about it for a moment. She had taken the form of many ponies in the past; surely she could do the same this time around? The changeling closed her eyes and summoned up her magic, the glowing green cocoon enveloping her once more. The covering of magic disappeared in a flash, and the grey-maned Pegasus pony she had been before stood in her place.

Fluttershy looked warily at the transformed changeling. “Um, Miss Mirror, that pony…”

Mirror frowned in confusion. “What about her? She doesn’t live in Ponyville, does she?”

“Well, no, but-” Fluttershy began.

“Aw, come on Fluttershy! There’s nothing to worry about! Oh, this is going to be so exciting!” Pinkie Pie squealed, pulling both Fluttershy and Mirror into a big hug. “The three of us will be like one big happy family!”

“Family?” Fluttershy repeated.

“Don’t you think you’re getting a little ahead of yourself?” Mirror agreed with the Pegasus. “And will you stop hugging me?!”

“What’s the matter? Don’t you like it?” Pinkie asked, letting go of both ponies.

Mirror opened her mouth to reply, then stopped as she really thought about it. Did she like it? Sure, the constant hugs were a little irritating, but close physical contact was always the easiest way to feed on love. And in a way, it actually was pretty enjoyable. She snorted in frustration before replying, “Never mind, it’s fine.”

Pinkie Pie let out a short giggle and started hopping towards the door. “Well then, let’s go, you two! Time’s a-wasting and we have a lot to do today!”

Mirror turned back towards Fluttershy, “What was that you were saying about this form?”

Fluttershy looked at her for a few seconds, then sighed. “Never mind. It’s nothing.”

Spreading her wings, the Pegasus turned and flew after her friend. Mirror was more than a little concerned about her answer, but told herself that it was just Fluttershy being what seemed to be her normal timid self. It can’t be that important if she won’t tell me what it is.

As she followed them out the door, the changeling reflected on the day’s events. The first two ponies I meet in this new town, and they’re both willing to accept me despite what I am. This is truly a miracle.

Still though, I have to wonder: what am I getting myself into with these two?