• Published 29th Nov 2014
  • 784 Views, 138 Comments

Equestria: The Hunger Games - Shukawarioserfi



In a Post-Apocalyptic Equestria, ponies fight to the death in this crossover of the hunger games.

  • ...
24
 138
 784

The Parade: Chitter's POV

I stand here with Shift waiting to go on in the parade. 10 districts are to go before us. My blue eyes stare at the monitor behind the scenes as the parade begins. "It's time for the Tribute Parade, starting with District 1..." My eyes roll at the yellow orange colt with green hair spouting bombastic nonsense until finally the camera finally shifts to the District 1 tributes; Arctic Blast and Columbine Flucie, dressed in the finest of sapphires and rubies. Spoiled rich ponies, their district makes all the luxury items for the capital.

I turn to Shift. "Are the tributes in District 1 wearing real gemstones?" Shift nods.

"Yeah, they win the games almost every year." Shift responds. "Arctic Blast seems like a rather young colt, likely first year eligible. The mare is a lot older and looks tough as nails but I find it hard to believe that she doesn't have a weakness." I turn back to the television.

"Wow." a voice comes from the television. "The tributes have done a very good job of representing their district with their costumes... here comes district 2 now."

I scratch my head with my hoof. "What do you know about District 2?"

"They're trained better than any other district... and then they volunteer." Shift chirps. "They're tougher than district one but not as intelligent." My eyes drift again to the screen on camera with the next tributes, an Iridescent female pegasus and a red and white pegasus male.

"Now look at these tributes Prism and Hurricane dressed as peacekeepers, celebrating the enforcement of the law." I almost throw up at that one. Who in there right mind would dress up like them? They scare me to shreds.

"Why would anypony in their right mind dress like that?" I exclaim. Shift shrugs.

"Peacekeepers are very popular in the capital and district two is where they're trained."

After seeing the peacekeepers murder hundreds of changelings I despise them. They make ponies afraid, and then kill them. I'm tired of them, they're only instruments of war, not of peace. "I'm going after them first, nopony that dresses as a peacekeeper gets on my good side." Shift smiles and ruffles my mane.

"That's the spirit." Shift chirps

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't do that to my mane." I sigh.

"What? I've never seen you be that confident about killing somepony. Don't get bloodlust though." He smiles.

"I'll try my best." I laugh just a little. Shift always puts me in good spirits.

"...Now for District five's tributes Starlight Comet and Coconut Swirl." I hear as I zone back into the program.

"What's your knowledge on District 5?" I ask Shift.

"They supply the electricity to all the districts." He responds. I catch a glimpse at the tributes wearing electrically charged outfits, shocking themselves so much that Coconut Swirl falls down in her float. I can't help but laugh a little.

"I think they overdid it a little with representing their district." Shift says laughing with me.

"...Please stand by while we tend to the injured tributes." The tv chimes in.

"At least somepony messed up." I add. I'm grateful and at the same time nervous that the parade is stalled. After trying to collect my thoughts for a few minutes, the tributes move on, seeming to be okay. "Why do we have to be next to last?" I say, squirming.

"They do all the districts in numerical order." Shift says compassionately. "Don't focus on how long it will be before we go on."

"After all..." A tear begins to flow down my face. "Time is precious when you're about to die."

"Don't say that. Don't think about dying it only makes it worse. Who knows? Maybe you'll get to see all your dead changeling friends again..."

"No!" I interrupt. "I'm going to win." Shift smiles.

"We'll be allies 'til the end."

"But what if we're the last two left?" I ask nervously.

"I'll stab myself in the heart." Shift says quietly.

I nod at Shift trying to hold back more tears when the tributes for district 8 are announced. "Next we have Midnight Dreams and Sonic Aura."

I stare at the television. "Are they wearing... plaid?"

"Their district is textiles. Mostly factories and warehouses, not very glamourous." Shift replies. "Two more before we go on. Be ready." I nod.

"And now here comes district 9 with Ill Omen and volunteer Posetem Weave. What do you think of them?" The colt on the television asks his fellow announcer. "Well a mare volunteering from this district is very unusual I'd keep a good eye on her."

"A volunteer from district nine." Shift scratches his head with his hoof. "Must be crazy. All they do is harvest grain. They have no training."

"Well." I stare at the tribute's straw outfit through the television, probably representing grain. "Maybe she has been training some. We don't know how she is, best we stay away from her."

"It's best to stay away from everypony." Shift says harshly. "If you seek out conflict before or during the games it only increases the odds of being killed."

"Now Cyclone the hulking hippogriff and Blue Ice from district 10." The tv blares.

"Wait." I say alarmed. "Did he just say hippogriff? That's not even a pony how did he get chosen?"

Shift clears his throat to respond and flaps his insect wings. "May I remind you that we're not exactly ponies either."

Red Raven comes over to greet us. "Okay. You guys are up next. Time to hop in your parade floats. Remember the plan." I carefully board our float, Shift following. I stare at the tv as we begin to make our way out in front of a hundred thousand ponies."

"...Oh and the float is destroyed. It looks like they didn't factor in Cyclone's weight." I chuckle as we move across out of the backstage into the road for the parade. I try not to stare at the audience until Shift whispers to me.

"Focus heavily on the audience and use our spell like Red Raven said. Make them never forget us." Shift says determined as his eyes begin to glow a dull green used when infecting ponies, his dress begins to glow green as well. I try to find my composure, looking at the audience is the last thing I want to do right now. I shift my eyes to my side of the audience, focusing my changeling power of suggestion. You love us. You'll never forget us.

Right now I can't tell if the ponies in the audience are sick or it worked. It seems that they have all fallen under our spell, including the announcers. "Wow. These tribute's costumes are amazing I would never think that the gold finishing would make them seem so colorful. Their dresses are mesmerizing as well. Truly the best showing by a tribute so far." I smile.

"We did it." I say. Shift shakes his head.

"Not yet. It's not over until you win."

I nod.

Author's Note:

I tried to get a lot of tributes mentioned during this chapter, as well as what some of the districts represent. I will try to make sure that everybody's OC gets at least some characterization before the games begin, and that might take some time. Thank you guys for being so patient!