• Published 7th May 2012
  • 6,270 Views, 170 Comments

A Helping Hoof - Drifter



Fluttershy helps an injured changeling.

  • ...
19
 170
 6,270

The Spark

When Fluttershy opened her tired eyes, the first thing she noticed was the silence. It wasn't raining. Looking through the window, she saw the normally cloud covered moon lightly illuminating the otherwise pitch black town. However, that wasn't the only source of light in her home, as the pegasus could see a faint yellow glow from a crack in her door. For a moment she wondered, Where's that light coming from? Then, as if a switch had been flipped in her head, everything came reeling back to her. How she had found Differ and how she had offered to let him stay. How after their small discussion Fluttershy had prepared him the guest room in which the 'Cutie Mark Crusaders' had used last-where the light seemed to be coming from.

When her eyes finally adjusted to the darkness, Fluttershy could see that the clock read 12:30.The pegasus figured it was time to see what was going on. She pulled the soft blanket to the side before swinging her hooves over and getting up. Carefully, she walked through her room, attempting to not trip over anything in the blackness of the night. Eventually she managed to get out into the hallway, where she saw the light pouring out of the small space between the door and the wall. Fluttershy slowly opened it, doing so quietly since if Differ was asleep she would wake him. Inside she saw that the bed sheets were on the ground in a messy pile, with the changeling lying on the mattress bare. His eyes were open and starring at the ceiling, yet they looked glassy. As if his body was there but his mind, his thoughts, were somewhere far, far away...
"D-Differ?" The yellow pegasus asked quietly. He shot up, for he had been unaware of the other presence. When his eyes met hers, his expression softened, along with his posture.
"Oh, hi..." he said, giving a light, tired smile.
"Hi," Fluttershy smiled warmly back. "What's wrong? Why aren't you sleeping?" The smile was replaced with a look of worry.
Differ sighed, "I couldn't sleep because.. because..."
"Because what?"
"Because I had a nightmare." Differ looked away sheepishly, a red blush clearly visible on his black cheeks.
The pegasus giggled a bit, "There's nothing with that, it's completely normal!"
"Not for changelings..." A dark look passed over his face.
"How about... we get these sheets back on?" She offered, pulling the pile of soft material from the ground. She let it un-roll in the air, setting over Differ.
"Thanks..." the changeling said, a smile back on his face.
"You know, when I was a filly and I had nightmares, my mother would sing me a lullaby." Fluttershy said.
"Really? What was it?" Differ asked.
She smiled lightly, eager to help her new friend sleep. "It goes...
Hush now, quiet now
It's time to lay your sleepy head
Hush now, quiet now
It's time to go to bed...

By the time the small song ended, Differ's eyes were drooping, almost falling into the deep chasm of sleep.
"You have a beautiful voice..." he almost whispered. Now Fluttershy was the one to blush and look away. For a moment she just sat there, watching her guest fall asleep, his chest moving up and down rhythmically. Finally, as she got up to go to her own room, she lightly pushed her lips against his forehead.
"Sweet dreams..." the pegasus cooed, turning off the light.
There was the spark that would eventually turn into a raging fire...

The sun rose over Ponyville the next morning, destroying what was left of the dreary weather. Cold dew still covered the lush grasses surrounding the town, making them shine in the light. Now it was 'officially summer', as the fillies had said hapily. Ponies and unicorns played in the fields and dirt, while pegasi flew joyfully in the sky. The air was fresh and clean in Fluttershy's lungs as she trotted through the town. After waking up and realizing they didn't have enough food, she decided that was a good enough excuse as any to go outside. The pegasus left Differ a note, grabbed a few bits, and left. Now she trotted through the market, checking out the food. So far she had six cherries, eight apples, a dozen eggs, a bag full of bagels, two donuts, and three oranges. When she checked her list the only things left were lettuce, carrots, and strawberries.
"Hey!" Fluttershy jumped at the voice coming from behind her. A certain blue pegasus landed right in front of her.
"Oh, hi Rainbow Dash." she said, her heart still pounding.
"Hey Fluttershy! Isn't today great? Now that we got rid of all that water, the summer is going to be like this all the time!" Rainbow Dash said eagerly.
"Yeah, I guess it is..." Fluttershy answered quietly.
Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to say something, when her eye caught the big bags, "Hey, why do you have so much food?"
Fluttershy normally had half of what she was buying, maybe even less. But normally she didn't have a changeling in her home. As she opened her mouth, attempting to think of a convincing lie, Rainbow Dash came up with one already.
"The animals must be really hungry, huh?" the blue pegasus asked.
"Yeah, they are." Fluttershy said. She felt a bit guilty for lying to her childhood friend, but this was too big a secret.
"So hows it goin?" Rainbow Dash had already changed the subject.
I'm just hiding a fugitive, helping him illegally, you know, the usual. "Oh, well the animals are all kind of restless from being held inside so long because of the storm. I'm planning on letting them run about today."
"Cool, cool..." Her friend said, her mind obviously elsewhere.
"Well, i'm off to practice. See you later?" Rainbow Dash asked.
"Yeah, see ya." Fluttershy said, and with that her friend soared off into the sky. That was close...

Another author's note: Sorry if chapters are too short, but it's much easier for me to have them like this.