• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 19,361 Views, 449 Comments

All These Years (Set in Stone) - eLLen



One day, Applejack was turned to stone by a cockatrice in the forest. It was a long time before she was revived. A story of moving through lives and the bonds forged in-between.

  • ...
24
 449
 19,361

Chapter 4 Princess' Way

Applejack sat at the windowsill, hoof propped beneath her chin, and watching nothing in particular as the sun began to hide behind the castle towers.

She whisked her gaze around the living portrait of Village Green every so often when a new bit of movement caught her attention. The villagers went about their evening routines, some closing up shop while others were opening theirs, and the rest trotting on home. Even with the unfamiliar faces dotting the streets, Applejack felt that feeling of longing rising in her gut—that longing one gets when they’re so close yet so far from their destination.

“Uh…” she sighed, letting all her breath ride out on the sound. “Something’s happened…”

Skylight’s words pecked at her every second, a constant reminder of where she was. “The concrete portion of the Everfree,” she’d said. Any other year, she’d have laughed at the description of her town. Little ol’ Ponyville made of concrete? Like Manehatten? That’s a keeper. But now, laughter was far from her mind.

For now, she knew Skylight had set off to meet with the princess. Applejack didn’t even know which one she had in mind—maybe both—but any at all was fine by her. She needed a face she knew.

And one she could bear to think about.

Applejack lifted her head from her hoof to stand up straight. After peering through the window for a few last moments, she turned tail and headed for the door. She worked out a crick in her foreleg as she walked past the door and set a slow pace down the stair case. Physically, she felt a mile better than she did yesterday; her vision was still a tad blurry when she looked at things from a distance, but it was bearable. As Doctor Serenity had said, with a little luck, it would get better.

Touching down on the ground floor, she glanced from the kitchen to the living room before settling on the latter. “Not like I’ve got anywhere to go,” she said as she plopped down across the couch. Satisfied with her journey from the bed upstairs to the couch downstairs, she lowered her eyes until they were half lidded then simply went silent. Nothing to do, nothing to say, something to think.

Ponyville’s gone. The farm’s gone. And everyone I know… is gone. She sighed, grateful that she’d run out of tears an hour or so ago. As horrible a feeling as realization was, you could only go through it once. Except the princesses, I guess… And whoever else could live that long. Who would that be? Spike? Her pupils shifted to the corners of her eyes as she thought. I guess he would still be here just all grown up. Hopefully this time cause of age and not greed, she mused, shuddering at the memory of the bad dragon. And… yeah, I don’t wanna think about her. I can’t stand the thought of her at all even if she is still… Oh, Apple Bloom…

Applejack’s ears perked at the sound of the door creaking open. Pushing herself into a sitting position, her eyes stared with intent as it pushed open to allow one pegasus to prance through. “Hi, Applejack!”

“Skylight! You’re back!” she replied. “You weren’t joking when you said you’d be back before sundown.”

“Not at all.” Skylight glanced behind her as she stood in the doorway, peering outside.

“Just how did you get to Canterlot and back so fast? Don’t tell me you can do a Sonic Rainboom.”

“Sonic Rainboom? Oh no, I could never do that.” With a toothy grin, she added, “I just got a little help from the train.”

Applejack’s brow furrowed. “The train? Ah, never mind that. So did you meet…?”

“The princess? You bet,” she said, turning her head toward outside once again.

“So where is she? Is she coming?”

“Indeed! She just arrived behind me. Should be here in a moment. I think she said something about needing to park her chariot.”

Applejack hopped to her hooves. “She is?! Oh, thanks. Really, Skylight, thanks.”

“You’re very welcome.”

Despite the news, Applejack couldn’t place the emotions welling up in her. She expected to be happy, delighted, at the news, yet she instead felt… Anxious? She shook her head. There’s no reason to fret. Turning to Skylight, she said, “Is there anything I should know? How did you get her to come down here on short notice?”

“Right! Well I arrived in Canterlot, flew to the castle, cut through the line of ponies waiting to see her, and yelled that I found you stoned in the forest. That got her attention.”

Applejack blinked. Skylight didn’t notice.

“After she ordered the guards to uncuff me, we talked a bit, and then she agreed to come down here to Village Green.”

“…Alright then… Wait a minute! You didn’t even tell me which princess is coming. Who just arrived?”

“Luna.”

Applejack nodded, but the corners of her lips threatened to spill into a frown. “Nothing against Princess Luna, but why her? Did you ask for Princess Celestia at all?” Thinking back, the farmer knew she never had much interaction with their Princess of the Night. Even though she’d played a part in her restoration, her sister had always been the more active of the two. Hay, she wasn’t sure she’d even sat down and had a conversation with Princess Luna. Guess that’ll change tonight.

“I tried asking about her, but she wasn’t in. Busy with something or whatever and not taking visitors. Hmm, now that I think about it, she’s been like that for a while, huh?”

“I wouldn’t know. Anyway…” She put her hoof on Skylight’s shoulder. “Sky? Thanks a ton. Not just for this, but for going out of your way to help me just because you wanted to. I couldn’t repay you if I tried.”

Skylight shrugged. “Just what friends are for.”

“But I will repay that hospital bill. Just watch.”

“Hey! You don’t have to do that.” She giggled. “It was only a few hundred bits.”

Applejack made a sound akin to a squeak. “Few hundred bits?! Whaddya mean—”

“Miss Skylight Crimson? Are you in here? Shoot, I got the address mixed up, didn’t I?”

“Right in here. Come in!” Skylight called. “She’s here, Applejack.”

“Eeyup. I recognize that voice,” was all she replied with. Hooves planted, body still, and eyes staring, Applejack radiated anticipation. As she took in a breath, her hoof took a step back, but she set it back in place. She couldn’t place where her anxiety came from, but she elected to push it away.

Then the door pushed open, allowing a midnight blue mare to step in.

A spiraling horn atop her head and a pair of feathery wings on her back, the alicorn’s eyes flew throughout the room before locking onto Applejack. With a take of her breath, she locked onto the displaced mare. “Applejack?” she said, taking a hesitant step closer.

The farm mare nodded as she mustered up a meager smile. She couldn’t help it, for she finally met a face she knew. A real, familiar pony in the flesh. No chicken monsters could stop her now. “Howdy, Princess Luna.”

As soon as the words came out, Luna’s demeanor jumped to excitement as she practically pranced across the living room to Applejack. “There’s only one family in Equestria with an accent like that! It is you, isn’t it?”

“Eeyup.”

“But there’s more. You look just like her, talk like her, and—if I’m remembering right—sound like her. You really are Applejack, aren’t you?”

“Uh, eeyup—whoa nelly!”

Applejack felt the wind get squeezed out of her as the lunar goddess swept her up into a bear hug. “Ech! A bit tight, princess!” she cried, gagging as strands of Luna’s starry mane hit her mouth.

Luna released her, smiling in her guiltiness. “Sorry, but I cannot believe it’s you after all this time. I’ll admit I was as skeptical as ever when your friend came barging into my court, but… how can this not be you? You two even passed my spell!”

“Well, it’s me… ow,” Applejack said, rubbing the shoulder that Luna had sandwiched. “What spell are you going on about?”

“Oh, right. A few spells, most of them designed to detect dishonesty. When your friend passed them initially, I figured I had to see what was really happening. Speaking of which…” Luna glanced toward the other pony in the room, seeing her watching the reunion with a smile painted on her face. “I would like to thank you,” she said, “for bringing Applejack home and then taking her in out of sheer goodwill. I do apologize for my earlier skepticism, but I promise you that this is an act that I will not forget, Miss Skylight Crimson.”

“You’re very welcome!” Skylight chirped. “And please, just call me Skylight or Sky or whatever else you like.”

The princess nodded before glancing back to Applejack, face morphing into mild concern. “I believe Skylight wrote that you were not feeling well? Your voice sounds a bit raspy.”

Applejack shrugged. “It was a lot worse yesterday. Hay, everything was a lot worse yesterday. Trust me, I’ll be fine.”

Luna smiled in a satisfied kind of way. With a sigh, she whispered, “It is so very great to see you again, and I mean that from the bottom of my immortal soul.”

“I could say the same thing. Minus the immortal part.”

Skylight grinned at their words before saying, “May I ask what you two are going to do next?” Seeing the confused glance she received, she added, “I mean, are you two going to go somewhere? Like Canterlot? Or… I dunno, do something?”

Luna held back a giggle as she answered. “I would rather speak with Applejack personally before we decide any course of action. Is that alright with you?”

“Oh! That’s quite alright. How’s that sound to you, Applejack?”

“Sounds mighty fine.”

“Very good,” Luna said. “Now, are you up for a walk?” With a last glance around, Luna gestured for Applejack to follow as she headed for the front door. The farm mare held no qualms as she trailed behind; nothing was going to prevent her from talking to the one pony she knew.

Stepping onto the porch, Applejack gasped as she was pulled into another surprise hug but quite glad that it wasn’t nearly as crushing as the last one.

“Sorry,” Luna said. “But I can hardly believe it’s you.”

“Heh, it’s me alright.”

Luna let a few laughs fly. “Thankfully. Now, let’s walk, yes? I take it you haven’t seen much of Village Green yet?”

“Nope,” she said, shaking her head. “Skylight and I walked around earlier on our way to the doctor’s office.” She gasped. “Oh, shoot! I almost forgot!”

“What is it?”

“The doc bill. She said it cost a few hundred bits! Oh Celestia, I need to find a way to pay her… back?” She trailed off at seeing the look on Luna’s face. It bordered somewhere between mischievous and sympathetic. An odd combination, Applejack noted.

“I wouldn’t worry too much about it,” she said with a wink of the eye.

“But it’s hundreds of bits. I can’t just leave her with that.”

Luna only smirked. “Come along, Applejack. I think you’ll find something interesting.”

Without a word more, Luna set a pace down the dirt road that trailed through the village, heading for the direction of the old Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. As Applejack walked by the princess’s side, her ears perked up at the sound of hushed whispers following them. Tossing her gaze to the colorful blurs of the ponies around them, she realized all attention was on them—or rather, the princess. She wasn’t taken aback by the villagers’ interest, having seen Ponyville’s own residents react to Celestia’s occasional visits. What got her, however, was the fact that they were acting like this to Luna.

Er, nothing against her of course. The last time Applejack had seen the princess interacting with her subjects, they’d been running in fright. Now they were acting much like how they would to Celestia—respectfully reserved but interested all the same. I wonder how Princess Celestia’s doing anyhow, she thought. Cause her sister’s doing quite fine.

“Here we are,” Luna said as she stopped in front of a vendor’s stand. “Are you still open?”

Back turned to them, the salespony didn’t bother turning around as she said, “We’re closing. Sorry.”

“Oh, that’s too bad. Sometimes a princess just has to feed her sweet tooth, you know?”

“Princess? What are you…?” She craned her neck around to see and promptly jolted up straight. “Princess! What are you…?! I mean, um… what would you like?”

“Mm… Two cake pops, please.”

“Right away! Er, your majesty!”

“Cake pops?” Applejack said. “What in tarnation is that? Sounds like something Pinkie would come up with.”

Luna’s face scrunched up in thought. “...I think she did. Her or somepony from Sugercube Corner. In any case, it’s a ball of cake on a lollipop stick held together with cream. I daresay it’s the best innovation to ever come out of a kitchen.”

“…Well, alright then. And here I thought your sister was the one with the sweet tooth.”

“It runs in the family.”

“Here you are, princess!” the salespony said, magicking their order to them.

Taking it with her own magic, Luna thanked the mare. “How much will this be?”

“Oh, please don’t worry about that! For you, princess, it’s free.”

Luna shook her head. “Nonsense. I bought it, and I’ll pay for it. How much are these?”

“Erm… thirteen bits each?” she said, her voice just shy of a squeak.

After paying the vendor, Luna passed one to Applejack and set off once more. “What do you think?”

“Thirteen bith for thith?” she said, desert filling her mouth.

“Indeed. But I was asking about how it tasted.”

“Oh. Ith good.” She finished off the rest of it in a single bite, causing Luna to chuckle as she did the same to her own.

She shook her head. “Anyway… Yes, thirteen bits. Why? Same reason the hospital bill seemed high. Yearly inflation.”

Applejack blinked. Then it hit her like a freight train. “Dangnabit! Why didn’t I think of that? Of course bits are going to be valued differently! Ugh, now I feel like Granny Smith when she talks about how much cheaper everything used to be… Oh, don’t laugh at me, princess!”

“Sorry, sorry,” she said, laughing the entire time.

Applejack rolled her eyes as a smirk danced across her lips, but she turned away. “Eeyup, just another thing to learn… heh.”

Luna cocked her head. “How are you feeling, Applejack?”

“Like I said earlier, legs are a bit sore and eye sight’s a bit blurry, but the doc says I’ll be alright.”

“That’s good to hear…” Giving a sidelong glance, she said, “But that’s not quite what I meant.”

The farm mare’s head drooped. “I… I’m fine.”

Luna sighed. “Applejack, you were Honesty for a reason. The last pony you should lie to is yourself. I know you are far from fine.”

Applejack was silent for a few long seconds before she mustered up the strength to look up again. “I know, princess, I know… I just don’t wanna have to think about it ‘cause if I do, I know I’ll start tearing up again, and we’re in the middle of town and… Consarnit, there I go,” she said, bringing her hoof up to wipe away an escaping tear. “…This is really happening. I’ve been a statue for the past eighty years. It all feels like a big nightmare, b-but I know I won’t be waking up from it.”

Sympathy played on Luna’s face as she responded. “Sugarcoating is the worst thing I could do for you. Yes, this is happening. I wish it weren’t, but it is.”

Applejack sniffled. Even if she had already known the answer, the blow didn’t lessen in the slightest. Hearing it from a pony she knew, one that had been there before and after being a statue, was more than enough.

“Oh, why is happening?” she moaned. “I-I was supposed to be there for everyone—for my friends, for my family. Especially Applebloom. I just can’t stand the thought of her wondering and hoping that her big sister will come back!” Her voice choked, cutting off her sorrowful speech. All thoughts of pushing her mind into something else—anything else—were sent flying as her flurry of emotion flooded her awareness with no distractions to dam it back up.

But there would be no more tears save the one. She’d already run dry.

Luna grimaced at the sight of the broken mare. Knowing they were assured to cause a scene if they stayed any longer, she lit her horn with a blue glow.

Applejack jumped at the sudden flash of light. Blinking away the daze in her eyes, she gasped as she took in the change of scenery. Gone were the houses and ponies of Village Green. In their place was a regal hall lined with stone, carpets on the floor and torches burning on the wall. Glancing toward the end of the hall, she saw all she needed to recognize where she was.

“That’s… I know that throne. This is the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters’ throne room… You teleported us?” she said.

“I did. Perhaps going for a walk was not a wise choice.”

“Mmhm…”

Lowering her face to Applejack’s eye level, Luna let out a sigh before speaking. “Applejack…?”

“…What?” she rasped, the hoarseness of her voice made worse by her misery.

“There is… nothing I can say to make this any better,” the princess began. “I cannot and will not lie to you by saying that everything is alright. Nothing that you are being subjected to is alright in the slightest.”

The mare’s only response was a sniffling silence as she stared into the alicorn’s cyan eyes.

“However, I can tell you this. Everything will be alright if you allow it to be. It may take months, it may take a lifetime, but you can persevere. Of that, I am sure.”

“…H-how? How can any of this get better? Everyone… everyone I know is dead! I’ve gone through that so many times in my head already. They died not knowing what happened to me, and now that I’m back, it’s too late to make it up to them…”

Luna remained wordless for a moment as the out-of-place pony heaved a few shuddering breaths, needing to recollect what remained of herself.

“Applejack? Believe me, I know that this is difficult. I—”

“How do you know?” Applejack said, cutting her off. Any other day, she would’ve been appalled at the razor’s edge in her own voice. “Were you a statue for years and years while everyone you knew went on aging?”

After a second to recover from the outburst, Luna straightened back up to look down at Applejack. Simply, she replied “Yes.”

Applejack’s brow furrowed. “Wha…?”

Turning to glance through the castle hall, Luna took on a thoughtful expression. “Although it technically wasn’t being a statue… It was the same in essence.” She returned to Applejack’s curious, answer-searching face. “I was banished to the moon, remember?”

A garbled, guilty sound pushed out of Applejack’s throat. “I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

“It’s alright. I know you meant no harm. Quite frankly, I don’t blame you.”

She just nodded in response, still berating herself for snapping.

“Applejack, when I say that everything can be made right, I truly mean that. I was imprisoned for a thousand years, taken away from everyone I know and love. True, I was blinded by my envy in the time leading up to my exile, but my true self was buried under the Nightmare’s influence. I knew that when I returned, everything would be… different. New ponies, new places… The things I knew before would be mere relics of an older time.”

Applejack remained silent and motionless, eyes locked onto Luna with fierce attention. She didn’t bother speaking a reply, her answer being the comprehension shining upon her face.

“I wish I was wrong…” Luna sighed, peering off in a reminiscent gaze. “But of course, I was not. As you may recall, I was withdrawn from government as well as social gatherings for a few years after my return. Well, that was because I had to relearn history and societal norms that had changed from my time, and to… come to terms with what no longer was.” She paused, silence ringing off the castle walls before Luna’s attention snapped back onto the farm mare. Her words carrying a burning determination, she spoke, “Applejack. I am the only pony who can truly and honestly relate to what has befallen you. Knowing this, I want you to know that you can overcome what fate has thrown you in.”

“…But... Princess? I’m not you.” She shook her head. “Y-you may have gone and adapted, but I don’t know if I can go and do that too. It… it hurts so much thinking about it! I can’t just pretend everything’s alright all the time! I-I… I don’t know, princess, I just don’t know…”

Applejack paid no mind to the supportive hoof that came to rest on her shoulder, nor to the gentle touch of its owner. However, she listened for the words that would come with them. She knew when she needed help.

“I hope you do not take this the wrong way,” Luna began, her voice the loudest whisper Applejack had heard. “But I had come to hoping you would not turn up after all these years.” Before Applejack could question her, she continued. “This is precisely why. I didn’t want you to have to go through what I have. No pony should ever have to share my pain. I would much rather have you be resting peacefully. But you are here, and you are now forced to take my burden, so now I have no choice but to offer what support I can… Applejack, I did not tell you about my own banishment in order to say that your situation could be worse. I told you because I believe that if I can come to terms, then you can as well.”

“I’m not you…”

“No, you are stronger.”

Applejack’s eyes widened as the words hit her. “Princess?”

“You’ve done so much for not only Equestria, but everyone you care about, whether that be stopping a threat to the kingdom or just offering a shoulder to lean against—all in just a few short years, too! Where I failed in my role as an Element bearer, you went beyond what was expected of you in your responsibilities.”

“Princess, don’t go putting me up on a pedestal. I just did what was right.”

“Exactly. You acted on what was right instead of what you wanted whereas I let my own jealousy overcome me and dictate my actions… I would dare to say that I had even more responsibility placed on me than you did, and I still let my own interests control me. An eternal night would have razed the landscapes, killing off the trees and fields and crops that we needed to survive. You, however, persevered and remained strong through every peril. That is why I believe in you, Applejack. You of all ponies have the strength to carry on.”

Under Luna’s words, Applejack could only stare ahead like a foal on a ghost hunt. Conflict bubbled up inside her—or rather, it already had and now threatened to spill over. In some ways, it did. The displaced mare had been shocked into a teary-eyed mess by the crash of realization, but her princess had come to her side when she needed it the most, constantly nudging her forward with a gentle grace. Although Applejack was far too modest to accept the praise she received, she couldn’t deny the subtle truths in them. Maybe, just maybe, she’d give Luna a chance.

“Princess?” she said. “I-I think I needed to hear that.”

Luna returned with a faint yet knowing smile, not needing to say a word.

“Now, I’m not sure how everything is going to turn out, but I think I can give it the good ol’ Apple try. I want things to be set right—if they really can be by now—and I’ll be an orange farmer if I give up now. So… thanks, Princess. Thank you.”

“…You’re very welcome.”

Silence had a final encore as a quiet hush draped over the room, neither pony having any words to say. At least one wasn’t looking for any as she was busy thinking ahead, a seed of hope sprouting out of her frazzled head.

The lunar alicorn worked out a crick in her neck before flashing a grin. “If you don’t mind, I would prefer it if we get back to walking. It’s far too… musty in here.”

“Sure thing, but can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“What happens now? Where do I go from here? I’m… a tad bit lost.”

“Actually, I was hoping we would get to that. Come. Let’s walk and talk.”

Voicing her agreement, Applejack set off beside the alicorn, leaving behind the empty throne room with a hint of a smile.

“And Applejack?” Luna said, casting a guilty look at her. “I just want to say that I really am overjoyed to see you, but I must admit something. Part of that is out of selfish reasons.”

“Huh?”

“When I returned, I rarely ventured out as you know. I never made many friends. Never thought to pay thanks to the ones who restored me.”

Realizing what Luna was getting at, Applejack shook her head at the princess. “Don’t go fretting over that. I don’t blame you.”

“But I do. When you went missing, it didn’t take long for me to realize that. I thought, ‘I never got to know her, not even thank her. She’s missing and I may never get my chance.’ …I hope you’ll let me help you and, if I’m lucky, let me be your friend.”

“Nope,” she replied, “Don’t be thinking like that. You know why?” At the curious look she received, Applejack added, “‘Cause you’re already my friend, princess.”

Luna opened her mouth but closed it in a moment. The single nod she gave told Applejack all she needed. With a swish of her flowing, starry mane, Luna returned to her pace, an extra skip in her step. “Please, call me Luna.”


As she walked the roads of Village Green, Applejack couldn’t help but notice that homey feel the town radiated. It wasn’t unlike Ponyville, albeit with a bit more dirt than she was used to feeling under her hooves. Even though she’d noticed this on more than one occasion prior, it felt like only now did she really see it for what it was.

As the two passed another group of gasping onlookers, Applejack trotted up next to the princess. “So, uh, what are we gonna do next?”

“Ah, yes. I was planning on getting you situated.”

“Situated? How?”

“In every way,” she answered as if it was the simplest thing in town. “Where you are to stay being first on the list.”

One particular farm popped into Applejack’s mind, but she bit her tongue. What am I doing? she thought. Sky already told me about… it. She glanced to Luna, but her mind blanked. “What about Sweet Apple Acres?”

Luna didn’t answer right away, sending a shock of nervousness through Applejack’s system. “...You don’t know?”

“…No, I do.”

“Alright then.” Luna appeared to think for a moment before saying, “I suppose you have a lot of questions about what is and what isn’t.

“Uh, yes,” she sighed. “I do. But can we wait until we get back to Skylight’s? Like you said, I don’t wanna... make a scene.”

“Of course.”

Their conversation ceased for a minute before Luna took charge again. “In any case... There is also the matter of catching you up on what’s changed in a societal sense. The new value of the bit is just one example. Fortunately, you weren’t absent for as long as I was, so you’ll find that nothing is too far from what you know. Take how we’re talking, for instance. The common accent as well as speech patterns are still very much the same, save for a few cases.”

“Like fairly well?”

“Oh? That would be one. Did somepony say that to you?”

“Skylight said it to me before she left.”

“Yes, fairly well is a common way of saying bye nowadays. If I recall correctly, there was a mishearing of ‘farewell’ during a radio broadcast, and it caught on from there.”

“Alright… but what’s a radio broadcast?”

Luna gave a few chuckles. “For the sake of getting anywhere, I’ll save those specific questions for later, alright? Every time I answer one question, two more will take its place. I think I could lend you a book or two that would help.”

She nodded. Storage cubes, pens, radio broadcasts, she thought, storing the information away to ask about later.

As the two left behind the late night activity of town and Skylight’s house came into view, the alicorn’s smile drooped away, telling Applejack a more serious discussion was on the horizon. “Applejack? As you said earlier, there is another issue we need to address, and I know this one will be far harder than trying to fit in society.”

Eeyup. I know.

She sent the displaced mare a sad, sorrowful look. “You’re going to have to come to terms with what’s not here anymore. More specifically, who’s not here.”

“…Uh-huh.”

“I know you’re a strong pony, but you should never hold in your emotions, especially the ones I just saw in the castle. It’ll tear you apart from the inside, and you won’t understand why.”

Applejack didn’t respond right away, seeming content to stare ahead as they walked toward the house. Casting away her façade with a heaving sigh, she replied, “I know… I know. I figured as much on my own… Haven’t been getting any false hopes up. At least, not trying to.”

“Uh-huh. Do you want to know anything?” Luna none-too-vaguely hinted.

She’s asking if I want to know who’s alive. Applejack glanced around them before answering, seeing the wooden, non-uniform houses sprinkled along the sides of the road. Of course, she got no answers from them.

For the second or third or whichever time that day, the farm mare found herself running through a list of the ponies she knew, ticking off the names she knew she wouldn’t be seeing again. Part of her saw the pure morbidity of the action, but she flew through her list too fast to think about it. No, no, no… she thought. She wasn’t sure whether she was referring to ponies or what she was doing.

“Is… Twilight around? She’s an alicorn and all, but I never was sure if that meant she…”

Applejack trailed off, heart skipping a beat as she saw Luna shaking her head. “I’m sorry,” she said. “She passed away over a decade ago.”

“But she’s an alicorn. She’s not immortal?” Applejack said, her voice a note too high.

“Being an alicorn does not grant immortality, being a goddess does. Like my niece, Cadence, she ascended from one of the three common races instead of being born with wings and a horn.” Putting a hoof on Applejack’s shoulder, she said, “She was my good friend as well. I’m sorry.”

“Mmhm.” Applejack took a deep breath, letting the exhale flow out. It’s alright, she thought to herself. I was expecting this. Her logic didn’t lessen the blow by much.

“Uh-huh... Spike’s around,” Luna added with a sudden upbeatness.

Applejack raised an interested eyebrow. “Really? Well, I figured he would be since he’s a dragon and all.”

“Well, he’s a bit bigger than you remember, but he’s still the same dragon. If you can catch him when he’s not sleeping, that is.”

“Eeyup,” Applejack replied with a single, sharp chuckle. Then she just stared forward again, not making a sound.

“…Nothing else?” Luna asked.

She means no one else. No one else I’m gonna ask about. Applejack shook her head.

Luna shot her a suspicious look, but changed subject. “As I was saying earlier, we have to get you situated, and I also have my own plans to carry out.”

“Is that right?”

“It is. For now, we’ll decide where to go once we get inside. I think Skylight would appreciate being brought up to speed.”

“Sure thing.”

“Excellent…”

As she hopped onto the porch, Applejack hesitated before knocking on the door, hoof still hanging in midair. “Luna?”

“Yes, Applejack?”

“I... I think I know what we should do first.”

She cocked her head. “What’s that?”

Turning around to face her friend, she continued. “It’s like you said. I need to see what’s not here anymore. I need to know what’s gone. That’s what we should do first. I wanna go to Ponyville and wherever else to make this right.”

Luna smiled a kind of warm, proud smile like a parent would give to their foal. “I think that’s wise of you.” She moved for the door, but Applejack held out her hoof, shaking her head.

“But,” she began, “I may not be a betting gal, but I’d wager I’ll never be prepared for what I’m asking for. Part of me still wants to curl up on that bed and wait for this to be over even though I know that’ll never work. Luna, just tell me… Do you really believe this can turn out alright?”

“I’ll do more than tell you. I’ll promise you. I promise that I believe this can turn out alright.”

Applejack’s face remained an eerie calm. “…Pinkie Promise?”

“Pinkie Promise?” Luna repeated, raising an eyebrow.

“Shoot, you're telling me Pinkie never showed you that?”

She shook her head, prompting Applejack to facehoof, but she couldn’t help but grin at the thought. “Well I’ll tell you. It’s a promise she came up with. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” She giggled just having to recite it. “That girl always said that breaking a Pinkie Promise is the quickest way to lose a friend…

She trailed off, leaving emphasis on the last word as if expecting someone else to finish it. In a second, her cheeriness sunk as she turned away. “You know what? I’ll take your word for it.”

“If you say so,” Luna said, caution ringing in her tone.

Applejack paid her no mind. Let’s just keep moving forward.