• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 1,577 Views, 9 Comments

Ultra's Hot Shots - ultra1437



Ultra's collection of written (possibly with shipping) collab oneshots

  • ...
2
 9
 1,577

PreviousChapters Next
Rememberance - Twilestia Lightning Round

When Twilight woke up that morning, something felt off about the day. It kept her company through her morning routine, even in the shower and through breakfast. The feeling never faded, even after she left her home. Double, triple, even quadruple checking her checklist for the day didn’t ease the feeling. In fact, it only grew worse as the day trudged on.

Spike seemed to notice and he spoke up several times throughout the morning. “Are you okay, Twilight?” “Is something wrong?” “Do you need any help with something?”

Each time Twilight turned pensive, and responded with a simple, “No. I can’t place it, but I’m just feeling… off.” She’d shake her head. “I don’t know why, but I am. It should go away shortly.”

The first couple times, Spike seemed to accept the answer, shrugging and going back to reading his comics. As the day drew toward noon and Twilight showed no sign of getting better, he grew concerned.

Before he could ask his next question, a knock at the castle’s front door drew his attention.

Twilight was too engrossed in trying to self-diagnose her problem to notice, so Spike answered the door.

As the door swung open, he gasped at the ponies on the other side of the door, “Night Light, Twilight Velvet! What are you doing here?”

The mention of her parents’ names shook Twilight from her concentration.

She shot up and ran toward the front door She arrived right as the door shut behind them. Spike bolted from the room, saying something about getting some tea started. They were facing away from her when she spoke, “Mom? Dad? What are you doing here?”

They turned around, and Twilight instantly knew something was wrong. Both ponies’ eyes were red and puffy, like they’d just been crying.

Night Light sniffed loudly before forcing a small smile. “Hey, Sparky. We’ve got some bad news… Is there someplace to sit?”

Twilight’s ears folded back before she nodded. “Yeah, follow me.”

Her parents followed, a distinct lack of enthusiasm in their strides. It didn’t take long, but they reached her study. Her magic reached across the room and she pulled out several cushions and set them out, one for each of them, including Spike.

Spike walked in, four teacups arranged around a pot before setting it down on a nearby table.

Twilight couldn’t meet her parents’ eyes as she asked, “So… what’s wrong?”

The married couple shared a look, silently debating who would speak first. Finally, Night Light opened his mouth, “You remember my mother, and your grandmother, Shimmering Beacon? She hasn’t been doing too well in recent years and it all came to a head in the last week. She…”

Night Light’s voice trailed off, so Twilight Velvet picked up for him. “S-she passed away last night.”

Spike was shocked. “W-what? Grandma Shimmer’s… gone?”

Both Night Light and Twilight Velvet nodded, their eyes tearing up. “Yeah. She is.”

Her eyes watered, and a hoof couldn’t wipe them clear fast enough. A muffled cough preceded Twilight’s imminent breakdown. She found herself swept up in an embrace from the other three, and broke down completely.


~Days later, at the wake~

The showing was beautiful. Shimmering Beacon had effected everypony’s life in attendance in some, no matter how small, way. Even Princess Celestia had shown up, much to everypony’s surprise.

Her father had started smiling again, once they started swapping stories, memories of the dearly departed. He steadfastly announced, “She was the best mother I could ask for. She’d kick my rear up and down the street if I needed it, but she would also turn around and hug me, love me, like I was the only thing that mattered to her.”

“You were.” Celestia spoke, surprising everyone in the conversation.

“What do you mean, Princess?” Night Light asked.

“You were the only thing that mattered. Family was everything to her. Even more than money, power, or a lofty, cushy position in the castle.” Celestia turned to each and every one of Shimmer’s children, all eight of them smiling warmly. “That is why she had all of you. So many foals, and each of you were special in your own way. She loved each and every one of you with all her heart.”

Twilight found her voice. “I remember her being strict, but fair and kind. When I was little, she’d bring over books and toys and even treats for Spike.”

One of Night’s brothers spoke up, exclaiming, “I remember her dropping everything when I broke my foreleg that one year playing hoofball. She ran for what seemed miles to get me to the hospital.”

“All because the medical cart wasn’t ‘fast enough’.”

Another one, one of his sisters, yelled, “Oh, remember when I had the first grandfoal? I thought she’d burst from how happy she was!”

A chorus of “Oh yeah!”s erupted from the table, and the somber mood broke. Soon stories turned into the happiest days and memories of their mother.

Thoroughly put-off by her father’s current story about how she set up himself and Twilight Velvet on a blind date, Twilight removed herself from the table to get something to drink.

Sitting off to the side, looking at the collage of pictures on the wall, was Princess Celestia. As Twilight stepped over, the princess didn’t even regard her with more than swivelling an ear in her direction. “Hello Twilight.”

Twilight sat down next to her. “Hello, Celestia. I didn’t expect to see you here.”

A small smile betrayed her tone. “Believe it or not, she helped me. It would be remiss of me not to come and celebrate her life.”

Twilight seemed to perk up curiously. “Oh?”

Celestia nodded, turning to look at the smaller mare. “A few decades before you were born, she helped me settle several disputes when I could find no clear path that both parties would accept.”

“That’s it?”

“That’s it, yes.”

They lapsed into a companionable silence, looking at the photos again.

After a few moments, Twilight broke the silence, “Princess?”

“Yes, Twilight?” Celestia looked down to see tears in Twilight’s eyes.

“Could… could I get a hug? I really need one right now.”

Celestia sidled closer before drawing Twilight into a hug against her barrel. “Of course. You never need to ask.”

Twilight cried softly, her tears flowing. Celestia’s wings moved forward, sheltering Twilight from view, letting the young mare cry in privacy.

Unseen above her, Celestia cried softly herself.

“Princess? Are you crying?” Twilight’s voice rang from between her wings.

Not so unseen, then. Her neck craned down and she spoke hardly more than a whisper, “I am, Twilight.”

“Why?”

“A good pony has passed from the world. Equus is lesser for it.”

“No, why for her? Why not for others?”

“Twilight, if it were any other pony, I would still cry.” She sniffled softly. “Each and every pony I rule over is worth crying over when they pass.” She looked down to meet Twilight’s tear-filled gaze. “I will admit, I knew her much more personally than many others. I will miss her greatly.”

Steeling her resolve, Twilight returned the hug Celestia had been giving her as best she could. “I… If you need to talk, I don’t care about what, I’m here for you, Celestia.”

A small smile graced Celestia’s face, much more genuine than any Twilight recalled seeing in recent memory. “Thank you, Twilight. I have a feeling I will take you up on your offer, but not today.”

Twilight nodded. “I’d like that, Celestia.”

Author's Note:

Written 4/14/2016. Roughly between 9 and 10:30pm est because I got interrupted once and had to go away from the computer.

This one strikes home with me personally. My grandmother passed away last saturday. Some of the stuff I say in here is really what she was like, others thrown in for embellishment, and there's literally a ton of stuff I could say that I would like, but time ran short.

My grandmother was the sweetest five-foot tall woman in the world. Unless you broke a rule she set, then she turned into a hellion who'd take a son or grandson a foot taller than her and twice her weight over her knee without an issue. I would have had it no other way, and even though the funeral's not even been held yet, I miss her. This one's for you, Nona.

PreviousChapters Next